A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

American Health Connections and others - Unacceptable

Posted: Apr 18, 2014

It never ceases to amaze me, in an absurd kind of way, how companies can place job ads for positions and ask for bilingual/foreign language to be a major qualification here in the US of A!!  This is an English-speaking country, and I resent the fact that these companies can make these requirements on us who are US citizens and English is our first language!  They want our expertise in work ethics, but we need to learn their language in order to apply for a job with them; how absurd is this? If we transplanted to another country, they would not learn our language; we would have to learn theirs. It is getting ridiculous to try and find a job in the US of A because of this and it should not be allowed......Just my 3 cents worth!!   

Seriously? - I mean, really

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure I've heard a more bigoted statement and I'll probably get this comment removed because of it.

If you go ANYWHERE else in the world, their citizens speak at least two languages and English is one of them.

We are the only nation who are so insistent upon only learning one language and making everyone else learn that one as well.

It's very simple. If you don't know more than one language, don't apply for the job.

Seriously acceptable. This is America, where people speak English - as a first language. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We should NOT have to have any option on the phones or banking or anywhere to "press 1 for English."

When you go overseas, if you visit then it's fine if some people can speak enough English to help you out and if they want to.

But if you move there with the expectation of establishing your life in that new country, then get off your lazy behind and make the effort to learn that language. Why should that whole country have to change their ways for English-speaking people who move there?

How much money is wasted here with translators and interpreters and the DMV publishing things in many other languages is sickening. People come here to build a new life and that should include learning the language here. Keep their own language and cultures in their own home or community, but if you're going to be out and function in the main world here, then learn the language here. Nobody should have to make extra effort and go to extra trouble and expense to cater to all the foreign languages brought here.

This is America where people speak English as a first language. If I can't understand someone else's broken English or no English at all, I simply refuse to deal with it.

If I were going to another country, I'd make some effort to learn the language and have respect for those people to at least try using their language.

I really dont give a rip how many dislikes I get on this post, it's my honest opinion and the bare truth.

YEP. Agree. Dislike me. I do not care. - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
My ancestors came here from Germany and did not speak English until my grandpa went to school and he learned it there. He had to learn how to speak, read, and write English to survive here in America. Just like ALOT of our founding families did when they came here from their "home country."

He spoke perfect English and in fact I never even knew that he only spoke German as a young child until he went to school, until he told me this. My MIL emigrated here, became a citizen, and learned English. My auntie emigrated here, became a citizen, and learned English. It's not that hard!

I would learn French if I moved to France or Italian if I moved to Italy. If I want to live in another country, I would learn their language and not expect them to cater to me. So dislike that!

Unacceptable -- I so agree - unacceptableaswell

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, unfortunately, the United States does not have "an official language."

I have lived in many areas and many states and people again need to realize that going into an area like Miami for example, you are going to experience the "language barrier" BIG time. Try going into a store down there and asking about something and the clerk speaking little to NO English. In addition, EVERY form is printed in about at least SIX different languages.

The other thing that I have observed that has become somewhat of a "pet peeve" of mine is the fact that for example, an elevator door opens and you have two people of Hispanic descent whom at that point are speaking English, and when they see you, an "Anglo" they immediately switch to Spanish. Talk about RUDE!!!

When I went to school, French and Spanish and Latin were offered. I took French, because at the time, I did not see the need for Spanish (area where I grew up had little to no Hispanics. The ones that were there, were basically "seasonal workers). In hindsight, I guess I should have also learned Espanol as well.

Do you not realize there is transcription in other languages? - SSE

[ In Reply To ..]
Imagine how much money you would make if you moved to another country and there was a job for an English-speaking transcriptionist. You have already learned a lot of whatever the local language is, and you are bilingual. There is a job for a bilingual transcriptionist (or secretary, or whatever) that can help with English or both languages. Would you not take the job? Because how can a non-English-speaking country post job requirements asking that you speak another language?! In this case, your bilingual skills would make you an asset. And there are jobs in other countries for people who speak other languages. And if you spoke English in a country where it was not standard, and you found some transcription or another job where it was useful knowledge, you would not only become a valuable asset to that employer or clients, but you would probably also be paid better for that skill as well.

You know, there are people all over this country and the world who speak multiple languages. In some positions, such as working with the public in some areas or even transcription, if you don't speak the language you won't be able to perform the job correctly. If you worked somewhere with many Spanish-speaking people coming in, then you would be unable to help them. If you were bilingual, no problem.

I think it's incredibly closed-minded to demand that we only speak English in this country, especially for work. Some positions you simply are not qualified for, that's all.

American Health Connections and others - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
You missed the point altogether!!!!! DUH!!!

Similar Messages:

Anyone Know About American Health Connections?
May 04, 2013

I saw a couple of ads on MT Jobs from this company.  Sounds interesting for a change of pace.  Any info on them? ...

American Health Connection?
Feb 08, 2013

Does anyone have experience with them or did anyone find any info. on them?  I couldn't find much of anything.  Thanks. ...

American Health Connection
Apr 05, 2013

Is it just me or does the new American Health Connection ad look like others we have seen from another company...maybe Phonix MedComm? ...

Any Info On American Health Connection, Not Much In The
Mar 29, 2013

. ...

American Health Connection Review
Apr 03, 2013

American Health Connection has posted for staff/agent jobs on MTDaily and MT Stars.  They are very pleasant people with whom to work for sure.  The trend these days is to outsource hospital patient registration and companies such as this are taking off big time.  Having started training with them, I have had nothing but trouble...at first I was told my bandwidth was fine, only to learn that I needed 40-50 download speed and at least 10 upload speed.  Had to switch to a new provider, however, ...

Anyone Heard Of American Health Connection
Aug 29, 2013

I recently applied and interviewed with American Health Connection. It is not a transcription company but has remote home positions that work well with our MT knowledge base and sounds perfect for my tired hands after 20+ years. Has anyone had any exposure to this company? ...

Ahconn Or American Health Connection
Jan 15, 2015

American Health Connection or Ahconn has no business trying to recruit professional transcriptionists for their virtual call center.  That is all it is.  Furthermore, there are other problems, like your inability to care about these patients whom you engage, their problems are not your problems, so in the event they need your help and you can or try to help, they will reprimand you.  They are not clear on your duties until it is too late and your job is in jeopardy.  Manageme ...

American Health Connection - Be Aware
Feb 09, 2015

I was hired by American Health Connection as a patient scheduler. I was sent an offer letter which I signed and then an email came with several forms to complete. Once had to be notarized, so I mailed everything back priority rate. Then, another email came with more attachments. Within those attachments, was a training reimbursement agreement that I was required to sign that said that if I quit the job prior to 6 months on the job I would have to pay $2,500 to the company. I have never in my lif ...

Phoenix Medcom Or American Health Connection
Mar 28, 2013

Has anyone obtained a position and started working with either of these companies on their new positions for patient representatives, which is basically taking phone calls, setting appointments, checking insurance, etc.?  I am curious as to how it works out in the long run and if it is worth it.  Any information would be greatly appreciated - thanks! ...

American Health Connection - Remote Schedulers
Mar 17, 2014

Has anyone ever heard of this company and/or have any information about it?  Thanks! ...

Anyone Apply For American Health Connection As Posted On MT Jobs?
May 18, 2013

I have not yet. Any insights are appreciated. TIA. ...

Afro-American Versus African-American
Nov 17, 2012

Afro pertains to a "hair style" usually worn by black people or African-Americans. African-American refers to a group or nationality of people whose decendants originated in Africa. Has anyone ever been corrected on that when getting audited? Just curious. I see this a lot. P.S. Not trying to stir the pot or offend anyone so please, no racial slurs or offensive posts. This is a ligitmate question. How do you type it? or do you think it matters? ...

What Happened To The MQ Connections Quarterly
Mar 17, 2011

newsletter.  First and only one was November - we should have had one in Feb.  I guess this bit the dust too.  Oh, well.  Typical MQ. ...

Could Anyone Who Has An HRA (health Reimbursement Arrangement) Type Of Health Care
May 04, 2010

tell me how that works?  I know the insurance premiums are less than a regular health plan.  If your  company puts 500 in your account, does that mean the first few times, for example, until you use up the 500, you don't pay ANYTHING or is it the opposite...you pay the entire office visit cost until you reach that 500?  I would be so grateful for any information about this type of plan.  TIA ...

Buying American
Oct 19, 2009

Hey, Everybody: In the spirit of solidarity, if we want support for our cause, then we might want to consider supporting other industries in America.  There are places to "Buy American" on the website.  We shouldn't support Big Box Stores that import everything and make a killing as well as treat their employees like chattel.  You know who I am talking about.  If we buy into the theory, "Oh, but it's so inexpensive to go there," then we are just as bad as the tran ...

Native American
Mar 26, 2010

When doctor says:  "Patient is a native American" should native be capitalized?  (BOS says to capitalize tribe names, but that doesnt answer this question.)  Thanks very much. ...

Will This Help Struggling American MTs?
Apr 23, 2013

I saw this article on a new law being passed about outsourcing jobs http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-bill-could-slow-indian-outsourcers-092353134--finance.html     ...

American MTSOs?
Jul 23, 2014

Okay, so are there ANY companies that are actually owned by Americans who live in America?  Everyone says they are only hiring from within the U.S., but that doesn't mean the owners are American.  Someone here said one company (Diskriter?) was purchased by "an Indian couple." Why wasn't it purchased by an American couple? Why aren't Americans buying MTSOs? What's up with that? ...

Where Are All The American Doctors?
Sep 06, 2014

This past week it seems all I have got to transcribe are foreign docs.  Some are not too bad, but some it is just plain torture to listen to.  What is going on?  Also this is the first time I have not been able to pay my bills with my paycheck.  It is so depressing.  Just had to vent.   ...

The Great American EHR Boondoggle
Dec 01, 2009

Just in case anyone thought that point and click EMR is working, read this article.   http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20090818/REG/308189963 ...

American Precision Transcription, LLC
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone work or heard of this company American Precision Transcription, LLC (APT)? Thanks for any and all comments about them. ...

American Transcription Association
Aug 27, 2010

Do any of you belong to American Transcription Association?  I just happened to find their site today and it sounded very interesting.   ...

Are There Any American MT Companies(no Outsourcing), Is So, Who Are They?
Sep 29, 2010

Is there a list of American MT Companies who do not outsource? ...

American Transcripton Association
Apr 30, 2011

Is anyone on this board a member of this medical transcription organization?  If so, has it been beneficial to you?  I am asking because I am considering joining because I like what they say on their website.  So, I am just wondering if it is worth the money to join.  Any and all responses appreciated.  Thank you in advance. ...

American Workers Have Changed--And Not For The Better
Nov 08, 2011

I've talked with several MTs recently who work for different companies. The companies have to send out reminders to the MTs that they are supposed to be at work at specific times. They also are having trouble with MTs just taking off without arranging for coverage of their accounts. The list goes on and on. What bothers me most though is the attitude of workers. Work was not easy years ago, but people did it with courage and integrity. You don't see much of that anymore.   &nbs ...

Does Anyone Know If You Can Work For An American MT Company From
Feb 18, 2012

another country, specifically, Costa Rica.  My daughter started out volunteering down there and loved it so much she moved there permanently.  She is my only child, and since I really have no family here anymore and she wants me to, I'm considering moving down there.  Of course, I'd have to be able to keep my MT job.  I'm not exactly a spring chicken and apparently in order to move there you need to either have a pension/social security and/or an income (appare ...

If American MTs Get QCd To Death, How In The World
Aug 03, 2013

are MTs from India doing well? I was born and raised in the U.S., I was an English/writing major, and I'm QCd into the ground, which makes me wonder - how the heck are people from India and other countries doing as MTs? Can they REALLY do better than those of us who grew up speaking the language, have spent years doing MT, especially since some of us are English experts (and probably ALL of us are English experts compared to those in India)?! What is going on here, seriously? ...

MM - Corporate/American Greed
Oct 17, 2013

All that matters to companies nowadays is how much money they can make for their stockholders and for their yearly bonuses.  They dont care about the American worker anymore.  In India, when they want to fire you, they have to take into account the family you are taking care of, will you be able to get another job.  America?  They will throw you out on the street without a notice and not give a darn. In my town, the main hospital wants to let Chinese women come over to Ameri ...

American Transcription Work
Apr 21, 2014

Would American transcriptionists be willing to work for a lower cpl rate if they were provided with steady work? ...

US Companies Who Hire American MTs Outside Of Country
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know of stateside MTSOs who hire MTs outside of the country.  After 30 plus years will be retiring outside of USA and would like to continue to work. ...