A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

In the past 20 years I've been in this business, I have lost - SM

Posted: Sep 02, 2012

a total of four jobs due to offshoring, worked for peanuts for a number of different nationals, and finally decided to get out of the business all together and at the beginning of this summer after my last lay off, I took a job at a local doctor's office basically as a receptionist/scheduler/transcriptionist.  I get acclimated to the job, like everyone I work with, and start feeling really comfortable and then last week, a woman shows up for an appt with one of the senior doctors/partners saying she has an appt to "tour the facility."  I go and tell the doc that she's here and he says "yes, yes, send her back."  He proceeds to give her the tour.  The whole office is a atwitter.  No one knows what's going on and some are speculating, since the doctor owns the building as well as the practice, that maybe he's getting a 2nd mortgage on the building because his daughter is getting married and he's been complaining about the extravagant affair she expects to have.

Finally the nurse practitioner in the practice comes back from lunch and tells us the doc is thinking about selling the practice to the local hospital and that woman was an appraiser hired by the hospital.  Of course the doc never bothered to let us know that he was thinking about this which I think is totally unprofessional.  I know he doesn't need our permission or opinions, but just a heads up would have been nice.  Now I'm thinking I JUST CAN'T WIN!

I'm thinking I should give up on healthcare all together and just apply at Wal-Mart or the local pasta plant or something.  I'm just so fed up.  I don't want to go back to school.  I went back to school to become a transcriptionist and I'm currently finishing up a coding course to try to get my CCS, but I'm not close to being done and I all I really want is to find a job where I can earn a decent paycheck and have some semblance of job security.  Plus I'm just going to stop getting to know people and becoming friendly, because the friendships never last after you lose your job! 

Maybe I'm too much of a pessimist.  Maybe, if he sells to the hospital, we all keep our jobs and we get health benefits which we are not offered right now as employees of the doctor.  Maybe we get raises.  Somehow I don't think so, but if I'm going to look on the bright side, best to dream big.

I just really wanted to "talk" it out.  So thanks for listening.

Selling the practice - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
The hospital can own the practice and you can still have a job, you would just be an employee of the hospital. It might mean more stability, actually, if the doc is having financial issues. Just a heads up, but employers don't usually consult the staff on business decisions for a number of reasons. People panic, and people talk, I'm sure they didn't want this leaking out. It also doesn't sound like a done deal. Unless someone has told you that your job is in jeopardy, just keep showing up and doing your best. If you were a coder and the practice closed you'd be out of work too. We're going through an affiliation like this as well; not a lot is changing except the name, but it is scary and I understand your need to want to talk it out. When the time is right, they will let you know their intentions. Until then, hang in there and do the best you can.

Actually had this happen in a single doc family practice clinic - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in. He sold to the hospital and stayed as an employee himself on salary and shared call. Worked out well for him (he was in a better mood) and the staff was all asked if they would stay, we kept our jobs with better benefits through the hospital system. We were eventually told but it was very hushed for a lot of reasons up until then and they had reached an agreement and all the I's were dotted and T's were crossed and the info was released to the public then. I wouldn't worry much, think this is a usual route for a transition such as this. Hope things work out to your benefit.

Similar Messages:

Anybody Seen A Raise In Pay Over The Past 3 Years?
Jan 03, 2012

Has anyone gotten any raises in pay over the past 3 years?  I know in these mean, tough times gratitude for having a job is important, but my thankfulness doesn't stop me from knowing that I have not had any increase in my pay since I started more than 2 years ago with the company I work for.  I am curious if any transcriptionist who has been steadily working for the same place for the past 2-3-4 years has seen a pay raise.  I am  frustrated with rising prices ...

I Am Not A Newbee, But I Have Done Pretty Much Only Ops For The Past 30 Years And I Need Help. Sm
Mar 22, 2014

I was doing a summary this morning and the dosage was q.4h p.r.n. Now, is that correct of is it q. 4h p.r.n. Is it 1 tablet p.o. b.i.d. ?? I'm so out of it with this stuff that it's making me paranoid and I can't find it in my book of style.  Thanks in advance and please excuse my old age blip.. ...

MTStars Has Changed In The Past Few Years...sm
May 09, 2014

I haven't been on this board in many years since I stopped working from home. I just logged on for the first time this week after a long absence, and it really has changed. It used to be that the regular posters used consistent nicknames for all their posts. That was nice because you got to know who was who, who was good for word help, etc. Now it seems almost no one at all uses a nickname and not only is it less personal but it contributes to the confusion in long threads. Nobody knows wh ...

Laid Off After 20+ Years In This Business!
Apr 03, 2014

Sad and happy......gives me a way out, but kind of grieving.  Silver lining is I now have more time to concentrate on applying for other jobs.  Down side is being totally self supporting and no income! ...

Thought I Had Seen It/heard It/experienced It All In The Past 30 Years
Sep 02, 2012

I work in-house, got the news a week ago that the hospital has hired an outside company to take over the transcription, which will save the hospital millions of dollars.  We have the option of going with the other company or simply going home; in other words, take it or leave it.  Needless to say, the outsourced company's benefits are not as good in comparison to the hospital's, much more expensive and also this will be strictly voice recognition.&nbs ...

A Medical Transcriptionist Of 10 Years Lost Her Job Today
May 17, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I just want to vent and tell you what happened to me today.  I lost my job today because I got a 97.9 on my quality review, which was done on my work in about 3 years. I was working as an independent contractor and I was told that I was being terminated and when I asked if I could be put on another account, they said they were not hiring employees just independent contractors, no employees. I am so upset. I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years this ...

Voice Recognition - Power Scribe Several Times In The Past 4 Years
Oct 18, 2010

Have tried Power Scribe several times in the past 4 years.  I am curious why and how anyone can stand not being able to use their foot pedal and keyboard in the normal way.  Case in point is if the dictation is not clear, you cannot back up a few words.  Instead, you have to go all the way to the beginning again.  Need some insight here.   ...

Seriously, How Did I Ever Manage 25 Years In This Business If I Can't Pass An English Grammar/m
Aug 03, 2010

I think some of these companies are pushing their luck.  They either like you or they don't.  Some of these tests are too easy.  Some of them led me to believe I was applying for an internship after medical school.  I admit I had to look up some of the answers because I didn't train to become a pediatric medical transcriptionist.  Since when do we have MT specialty certficates?  I have transcribed just about everything they can do to you in a uni ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

She Has Had **MRI's** In The Past
Feb 02, 2010

x   ...

PAST
Mar 30, 2012

The patient underwent a "PAST".  It's an OB/GYN procedure.   TIA  :) ...

Bye-bye Past --- OMG Seriously?
Apr 12, 2012

Just when I think I can't possibly be more amazed by the ineptitude of this ASR program. ...

How Do I Look Up Past Reports?
Mar 03, 2010

They said we would be able to look up past reports on specific patients and by specific docs, but I don't know how.  Anyone? ...

Does Anyone Use EMDAT Or Have In The Past?
Mar 17, 2010

Does anyone use EMDAT or have in the past?  What do you think about it?  Thanks for any information. ...

Atrocities Past
Mar 23, 2010

I just remembered the Impact Room.  I wonder how many trial-and-error programs we've been through over the past couple years.  They must have a whole team of people who sit around all day and come up with one scheme after another, all of which are eventually scrapped.    ...

Past/Passed
May 21, 2010

Rigor mortis had passed/past in all extremities. ...

Past/passed Help Please
Jul 19, 2010

used a 5-French Glide catheter and thru this passed a Spartacore wire into the popliteal artery past the stenosis.....Is this correct or am I losing my mind with these passed/past??? ...

Has Anyone In Recent Past Been In A
Aug 22, 2010

It is about group being out of work.  Just curious. ...

Past Pointing
Dec 31, 2010

For those of you who have been wondering about "past pointing", it really is that.  The doctor actually spelled it out!  ...

What Is The Past Tense Of I&D
May 03, 2011

I was going to go with I&Dd, but that doesn't look right.  Or spelled out would be "The patient had an abscess that was incision and drained"?  That doesn't look right either, but just unsure. ...

From What I Seen When Looking Up Past Docs In DQM
May 14, 2011

People are not doing a full listen/correction. There are some pretty blatant errors, and these errors are being repeated by subsequently dictating physicians who are obviously using other documents for information (as it should be). Blatant errors such as allergy to medications that don't even exit, blatant lab errors that are counter to some of the diagnoses. I shamefully admit to not doing a full listen when I first started voice recognition was back in the beginning, but quickly noted ...

Blast From The Past. Sm
Jan 08, 2015

I was purging papers and came across an earnings statement from TL in 2001 (yeah, I know, way overdue on cleaning out files). Back then, my base pay was 0.0925 and the 2-week pay after taxes, insurance, 401K was $1100. In comparison, today my base pay pretty much is 0.035 for VR and 0.07 for straight. It is possible to make a higher rate at Nuance, but it is not easy, so I do not expect it. My last take-home pay prior to the holidays was less than $600. Also, my TL line count was 3000 higher for ...

Lost In OB
Jun 21, 2010

Procedure EFM toco?  ...

NEW IC LOST AT SEA - Please Help - Sm
Jul 22, 2010

I need advice.  I have just recently gone from employee (for over 35 years) to independent contractor.  This has probably been asked or discussed before, but I never paid any attention to the discussions as it never pertained to me; now I wish I had read the posts.  I feel lost here.  I was hired in the usual manner, and told what my line rate would be.  I understand the part about no taxes taken out, no benefits, etc.  I was also told what hours/days they need ...

I Did My Best And Still Lost The Job
Mar 21, 2012

I trained for 5 days and was called today and told I was terminated. No explanation but their instructions on page breaks sucked and I had off and on problems with them. They sent a video to watch and and would not play on my computer and I told them about it. All they did was send it to me again and still didn't work. These companies are all about greed and do not want to take time to really train someone who really wants to learn their job. ...

Just Lost My Job To EMR
Aug 15, 2012

I just received an email that was addressed to us ladies stating that as of Friday this week, we are not needed anymore because all doctors in a certain place are switching to EMR. It was a whole city. This is the first I have heard of this, that is, all their accounts in this city are switching. God Help us All ...

Lost Job To EMR
Aug 16, 2012

After 14 years of transcribing for a medical practice, suddenly, without notice, I was "dumped."  My client implimented the required EHR mandated by President Obama.  I guess I was somewhat naive in not seeing this coming, but I assumed transcribed documents by a "real person" would still be wanted by my client.  Now I find myself at age 57 without work.  My next step is to inquire about verbatim transcription, but the idea of not correcting improper grammar and using "yeah" ...

Past History: Medications:
Dec 08, 2009

Seizure "s/l seizure in section" X 1. ...