A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

when quitting/is this the norm? - peaches

Posted: Apr 10, 2012

I gave notice to my employer last week that I had to quit. I sent her a very nice email thanking her for the opportunity, but it just wasn't going to work out for me. I was very pleasant and upbeat, but I have yet to receive an acknowledgement. I was even able to log in with my password still. It's been 5 days now. You'd think she would have read her email by now, right?

quitting - the norm

[ In Reply To ..]
I left a company once that failed to disable my password, thereby allowing me unauthorized entry into the system. When I discovered this, I called the company immediately and asked the tech guy to take care of it pronto. If anyone were to try to sabotage the system, you could potentially be held liable. It's unimaginable that a company wouldn't have this protocol in place. This protects you as well as them.

As to employers not responding to e-mails, well, that's just par for the course these days, isn't it? I guess they figure if you're leaving, they can't be bothered with an acknowledgement.

we are just warm bodies, commodities - just another invisible MT

[ In Reply To ..]
and peons (or is that pee-ons?) who don't deserve anything remotely resembling courtesy or consideration. You have to grow a thick skin in this business.

Have no expectations and ye shall have no disappointments.

turnover - ami

[ In Reply To ..]
They are accustomed to turnover. She doesn't really owe you a reply (I get that it would be polite). If you are working for a larger company, you likely have a handbook that says what happens when you leave, so from their POV, you're already informed.

Insults to whatever!!! - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
You can add rejection to the list too. I keep trying to get a job with these tests and am going insane. I just keep getting no answer or sorry we don't need you or we'll put your resume on file for the future, that kind of thing. We aren't real humans to these companies. All they are is GREED!!! Sorry to be so blunt. I am experienced at 30 years and have never had to deal with such insults.

We all know what's happening: Those of us with - 20-30 years of experience are - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
being intentionally shoved aside. Would love to be a fly on the wall at some of the big-wigs' conferences and seminars. I'm sure the subject of how to skate around the labor laws and discriminate against a certain worker age group as unabashedly as they do, comes up a LOT.
20-30 years - emo
[ In Reply To ..]
My experience does not support this supposition. I have 35 years experience and have had no problem finding a job.

The real issue, and I've seen this when observing the hiring process, is that the reality is, many MTs just really don't have the skills, be it technical, medical, etc.

I dont see any discrimination going on at all.
ostrich - Lenie
[ In Reply To ..]
You must have your head in the sand. Wake up - age discrimination is everywhere, including MT world.

I have a lot of experience with 99-100% accuracy but I have stopped putting down dates on my resume just to make sure they cannot discriminate, because they do.

If they can hire MTs straight out of school at 4-7 cents/line straight transcription, don't you think they will do it?

no response to resignation - been there

[ In Reply To ..]
I have also had some employers fail to respond to resignation letter/e-mail. I think an acknowledgement that they have received it is necessary. I personally do not feel comfortable if there is no response because they can later say they never got it. So, if you get no reply, I suggest sending it with a read receipt, if you have that option. That way you have proof that they saw it and what day, just in case they claim you did not give proper notice. In other words, cover your ass.

Similar Messages:

Overstaffing: The New Norm?
Apr 16, 2011

Just wondering if there are ANY MTSOs out there that don't overstaff their accounts.  Read the boards here; it's fairly obvious that ALL if not MOST of them have overstaffed their accounts. And to the Keystrokes Damage Control team, don't even bother with your spin.  Keystrokes accounts are grossly overstaffed!  And even IF some of them weren't, as a few on here repeatedly proclaim, then that is an INDICTMENT of the "PRODUCTION COORDINATORS ...

Do Things Seem More Chaotic Now Or Is This The Norm? I Came
Jul 17, 2011

My account, which is a massive account, has a revolving door of MTs working on it.  There are never enough.  Seems to be causing havoc. ...

MTSO Overstaffing Is The NORM Now, Right?
Dec 08, 2011

Last year I left the moderate-sized MTSO I worked for to work for a smaller company.   My former employer had overstaffed the accounts to the point that I was borderline homeless, so I had no choice but to leave. At first, things were better at the new company.  The CPL is slightly better (9 versus 8 at the other gig), and I was making about $1200 every 2 weeks.  That isn't great but at least I can live on it, and I work less than 30 hours per week.  About a ...

Remember When Getting A CMT Differential Was The Norm?
Dec 19, 2012

Just reminscing, lol.  Five years ago I used to get a 1 cpl CMT differential and that was not uncommon or hard to find.  Through a buyout by Transcend that differential was taken away and now with another buyout Nuance not only has no differential also, but wants to pay those of us with a CMT the same rate as a new hire with no credential.  I love the ads that say "CMT or RMT preferred" but the hidden ending to that sentence is "but we don't want to pay you for it."  W ...

IC Contract Question - Is This The Norm??
Feb 17, 2013

What do you think of this? Is this a normal inclusion on a contract? Personally, I think this is a load of B.S. (P.S., they only pay 5.75 cents/per line to begin with, for straight transcription.) Any errors requiring extra processing (blanks/questions) or reprocessing (resends) created by the Subcontractor will incur a charge that will be billed to the Subcontractor by the Contractor. Charges will be made on a per-line basis of the entire (re)processed document with said line being 65 charact ...

NO WORK - INCENTIVE WEEKEND - PER NORM
Mar 05, 2011

Anyone else outta work on this glorious BONUS weekend.  I am just trying to work my normal schedule. This is ridiculous, but not surprising.  :/ ...

Is Cherrypicking Allowed At Your Company? Is This The Norm?
Aug 26, 2011

I have been with my company for many years and have liked the account I am on until the past 3 months.  Three months ago, they hired on 3 new MTs and now suddenly all the easy doctors disappear from the queue first, even if there are other reports out of TAT.  Warnings have been given by account manager, but only 2 days later, the cherrypickers are back at it.  I am now getting stuck with a majority of the harder docs that no one wants to do and have watched my pay ...

Is This The Norm For This Time Of Year - Meaning
Nov 24, 2012

long does this usually last? I am in the process to applying for other jobs to places in my area, non-MT and even got a couple resumes out for some Part Time IC positions. Wondering if I should apply for partial unemployment? Is this a yearly thing this time of the year? No work for the past two days and looking at the statistics, there is only just over 12,000 jobs out there company wide and for each job out there, there is probbly 5 MTs waiting and hoping to snag it. ...

Security Document Signing The Norm?
Jun 06, 2014

Just getting a chance to finally get hired!!! A requirement is to electronically sign documents swearing to confidentiality and another stating that "Additionally, as part of our contract with the Florida Department of Children and Families, we must ensure that each of our Independent Contractors meets the department's internal security and HIPAA confidentiality requirements. Are these normal to be signed by companies?  ...

Is It The Norm For The Company To Be Making Half Of What They Pay You?
Nov 22, 2014

Just wondering what the rule of thumb is as far as what the company gets paid per line versus what they pay the MT per line.  Is "half" the norm or considered "fair?" ...

Quitting: IC
Dec 28, 2009

I've been working as an IC for a small operation.  There is no written contract, and in fact nothing was stated verbally about terms, conditions, etc. In keeping with the above ;) , they are disorganized and unprofessional, and I want out.  In fact, I have already written my resignation notice. Another MT just up and quit the other day.  I wish to do the same, even though I have never, ever done this in my life (I'm 46 and have been working since the age of 17).&n ...

PTO When Quitting?
Aug 02, 2010

I'm planning on quitting soon, (yahhhh, finally got a decent offer as an MT), but am wondering if I will have any trouble getting my PTO from MedQuist.  Does anyone know if by law they must give you any PTO you have coming when you leave?  How much notice do you think I should give, 1 or 2 weeks?  Thanks! ...

Can't Believe Every Day There Are More Quitting
Aug 29, 2010

We just going to whittle down to 1 MT and 0 dictations? ...

Quitting MQ
Mar 26, 2011

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get your last paycheck from MQ once you quit?  Shouldn't it be sent to you at the regular time?  Didn't get mine yesterday or today, so I'm guessing they are holding it for some reason. ...

Quitting/PTO
Dec 21, 2012

Did anyone from Transcend quit and if so did you have PTO left and are you getting it paid out to you? ...

Quitting TTS
Oct 08, 2014

Do they require 2 weeks' notice? ...

Quitting School
Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input? ...

Protocol For Quitting MQ
Jan 28, 2011

Anyone on here who has quit the Q? Did you give 2 weeks notice or what? What did they do when you told them? Did you email or place a call? ...

So Close To Quitting
Oct 07, 2011

I have to vent!  At the moment, there are no words to express how much I hate this job.  i am so sick of listening to foreigners who sound like they have marbles in their mouths and the women sounding like shrill little girls with marbles in their mouths, struggling with all my heart and soul to do a good job, for pennies, knowing if I send to QA for help, my pennies will be taken away.  This is insanity!  I swear, I've died and gone to hell!  ...

Quitting W/o Notice
Nov 25, 2011

Considering quitting Transcend w/o notice.  I understand I will not be able to be rehired.  In years past I quit MQ w/o working through my full 2 weeks too.  (I know... BAD, BAD, BAD.) I am concerned though that if I go to work for a smaller company and they are bought out by one of these 2  (which seems to be a high probability) I could be screwed. In the field these days you have to have a FT job and try it out before you quit.  Then you are trying to do both and get ...

Quitting Nuance
Jan 10, 2012

So I'm leaving NTS (I was happy as a Webbie) in about 4 weeks once I'm done training at the hospital here.  I was wondering if anyone who quit there in the past few weeks/months could tell me what they are doing with the company equipment they provided being that NTS doesn't want to deal with equipment lending. ...

PTO At Nuance When Quitting
Jan 24, 2012

My last day at Nuance was a couple weeks ago.  I wonder how long it will be before I get my PTO I had accrued? ...

I Wonder How Many People Are Quitting Because...
Mar 27, 2013

the recent e-mail we got said they need help in other regions, so we should pull together and help them.  I am wondering if these are crappy account on the crappy eBTXT and the reason they need help is because of MTs leaving.  I surely wish I could afford to leave, not makinig any money anymore. ...

Quitting/insurance
Jan 06, 2014

Questions: If you quit, when does your insurance lapse?  ...

Thinking About Quitting
Jan 06, 2014

I am so fed up with this job.  I barely make $8 an hour, and part of that is how much I hate the job and how slow it makes me want to go.  The other is that I still CARE about the work I do, so I spend time on it. I came from making $15 an hour to this, and I just cannot take the beating anymore.  I am seriously thinking of calling my TSM and saying, BUH BUY!  Then finding another job in the downtime. It's even affecting my health.  My stomach KILLS me every morning before I s ...

Quitting Without Notice
Feb 10, 2014

If I work as an IC and quit without giving any notice, can the lady I work for legally withhold my paycheck and not pay my final invoice? I know as an IC we really do not have any rights with the labor board so if she does not pay me what would be my next course of action? I have never quit without notice but due to the circumstances she has left me without many options. ...

This Close To Quitting
Mar 12, 2014

I am this close to quitting right this second. All I have had is foreign doctors. Are there ANY English speaking doctors left??? They expect 99.8% accuracy with this crap???? Are they kidding me??? I've been sitting here almost screaming because I can't understand a thing they're saying. I had one who was chewing gum like a cow!!! Give me a break. If I had a job to fall back on, I would quit right this second. ...

This Close To Quitting!
Mar 17, 2014

If I didn't need the gol dang money so bad I'd quit right now! More work added on my plate after you cut my pay...twice! This is beyond what I can handle today. I'm only 45 minutes into my shift and I'm crying already. Let me back up, Saturday I was NJA (as usual) so I (stupidly) emailed my PTO requests in for the year, during my shift, and then I get an email about "productive time" and then had another account added to my pool. And given 30 minutes to learn 68 pages of a ...

When Quitting MM Do They Ask For Everything Back?
Mar 28, 2014

I know the hard drive but the keyboard, headset, footpedal?  The monitor is mine so they aren't getting that, just wondered if anyone had any experience in this. ...

Termination, I.e. Quitting.
Sep 17, 2014

Does anybody know where to find information about quitting, where it might state if you should 1 or 2 weeks notice?  ...