A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please be careful when you make a post as the MTSOs do come on - is there something in the air?

Posted: Aug 06, 2013

I am posting here because although it is a "company" issue, it is also, I think a "general" issue. 

I recently started working for a smaller MTSO.  When I sent in paperwork, there were problems on their end with apparently being able to open and print my scanned documents which were in a .jpg format.  This was the first time that I had ever run into a problem like that and had posted on the company board if anyone else had been having problems with this particular company receiving their paperwork as well. This was a "general type question" and I thought that maybe there had been a problem on my end when they received the files.  I ended up converting the files to Word and getting everything submitted.  After training for this company on Wednesday, I finally started workikng on Thursday (which after a training conference call, they wanted us to start).  I received very little QA feedback and got emails from QA, stating that I was doing a good job and "there were just minor "formatting changes" that needed to be made. 

I had some issues with the software, but got those resolved after talking to the company that provided the software for this particular MTSO.  Last night, I had an extremely difficult dictator (they sounded like they were on a speaker phone in another room) and I left several blanks.  I eneded up doing 2 reports from this dictator. Making a note to QA that the sound quality was poor.  Today, I received QA feedback on 2 reports I had done.  (I am not sure if it was on these 2 reports or not, as I was working and when I got a chance for a break, was going to check and see what the feedback was).  It was mentioned in the email from QA that I had missed some words, etc., so I made it a point after finishing another difficult dictator (ESL), to go in and re-listen to the report to catch any mistakes and to try to fill in blanks I had left.

Well, in the midst of all this, I get a call from the MTSO terminating my contract, because I had made, in their opinion, "derogatory remarks" regarding the company.  When they first called and accused me of that, I was in shock, because the last post that I had made in reference to this company was to someone who wanted to know if they were still hiring.  The MTSO then proceeded to read a copy of the post I had made to me.  I copied the link to the original post (hopefully it works), but I was just flabbergasted that I was terminated for something that was posted on a public forum and to my way of thinking was not derogatory in any way, shape or form.  I have seen posts much worse than this and am still reeling from the shock.  I am an older MT and was hoping that this would be "it" and that I would be working for them until I retired.

Be aware that these boards are read.

I thought this site - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
did not release that information? How did the MTSO obtain it? I would not sweat it too much. Doesnt sound like too much of a loss. Imagine what the future would have held if you stayed. Hope you find a happier place.

Company - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I did use the title of the company in my post because of the fact that they were having problems opening the paperwork, which had been signed and scanned and sent to the company in .jpg format. I wasn't sure if it was a problem on my end or what, and I used the company name to see if any other recent hires were having the same problems that I seemed to be having. In no way, shape or form, did I "bash" the company. I was seeking information and I never got a response to that particular post, so basically forgot about it. The company had recently been discussed on the Company board and someone had asked if they were still hiring. During the training conference call, I had asked if they were still looking for MTs because I had a couple of friends who had recently lost their jobs to VR and they were looking for straight typing, so I asked and found out they were no longer hiring. I then replied to a poster here about the hiring situation and told that they were not hiring right now, and when I got the call today, that is the post that I thought they were referring to. There were many other posts about this company and the general concensus was that they felt their rate of pay was too low. When I generally post, it is to either help someone out with a "technical issue," and if I do post about a company, I will just generally say that it was either a positive or negative experience, but that what not might have worked for me, might work for someone else. Needless to say, I was very surprised today.

The site didn't release the info. - MT22

[ In Reply To ..]
The company just added 2+2. They knew which MT was having problems with the paperwork and figured it out on their own. Had she denied it, not sure they could have proved anything, but I suppose people can terminate a contract anytime they see fit.

Post - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
(Edited my original response. Just read the OP's linked post below and with all the specifics she mentioned, it's easy to see how the company identified her. Not sure why she is so surprised).

If I had to guess I would say that your mentioning - your health issues

[ In Reply To ..]
If I had to guess, I would say that your mentioning your health problems, which are very unique, probably red-flagged them. I'm sure these health issues are something you also discussed with them so they knew your identity immediately.

I believe many MTSOs peruse this site so in the future I'd just suggest keeping personal info to a minimum when posting to keep it more vague on the reader's end whenever possible.

Health Issues - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
My health issues were not discussed whatsoever. The only comment that was made and this was a question to the recruiter when I asked whether this was straight typing only or VR. When she said it was straight typing, I mentioned that I preferred that because of the fact I had tried VR and could not meet up with the production requirements that most companies required now for VR.

Huh? - memo

[ In Reply To ..]
According to your post, you had to cancel training because you had a Dr.'s appointment? Or did you cancel with no explanation?
Reply to your post - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I spoke with the person that hired me on a Saturday evening. She mentioned that Iwould have to go through training on their transcription platform. I mentioned to her during our phone conversation that I had a doctor's appointment on Monday afternoon, so that was not a good day for me to go through training. I received an email from the company that handles the transcription platform stating what time my training was and it was scheduled for the time that I would be in my doctor's appointment. I sent an email to the recruiter informing her of that and she had forgotten about that. I sent follow up emails, on Monday and Tuesday, asking when I would be trained, and finally received an email late Tuesday, stating that my training would be Wednesay evening. I went through the training and then they wanted all of us to start on Thursday, the first, which was the beginning of the new pay period.
I am sooo confused - memo
[ In Reply To ..]
So then, your health issues were discussed, at least in reference to a doctor's appointment, that you fully spread out in you initial post--the linked one that you were fired for. I can't imagine it was that hard for the MTSO to put 2 and 2 together and figure out who you were.

Also, in the post you linked to, you never actually asked if anyone was having problems submitting their paperwork. You said you were having problems, but to subsequently imply you were fired because you wanted to know if anyone else was having issues with their paperwork going through does not match with the original post you wrote. ... just sayin
sooo confused - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
In the phone call today, the reason given was they said, "I had made derogatory remarks regarding the company." In all honesty, because my post had not been replied to, I had forgotten about it. I replied to a post from someone on the Company Board on Thursday. That person had asked if the company was still hiring. I had asked for someone else who was looking, and was told during the training call, the positions had been filled.

I responded to the poster on the Company Board and I thought that was the post they were referring to.

Just because someone has a doctor's appt. - doesnt mean they have a health problem. (n/m)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
confused - Chavera
[ In Reply To ..]
MEMO - you are the one who is confused. The original poster has made a perfectly clear, concise presentation of the problem she had with this company. I wish I knew the name of the company. That is the problem here - a company that spies on their employees is not a happy company.
So, you're saying - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
that this company has no business seeing what people are saying anonymously about them on this crazy board? They didn't spy on her. They saw her post, put 2 and 2 together because she was so descriptive, and decided they didn't want to deal with her, which is completely their right.

I don't know the first thing about this company, but based on what info that has been presented here, they didn't do anything wrong. The OP made a very bad judgment call, and it cost her. There are consequences for your actions, even if those actions are based on ignorance.
Most companies have more pressing things to - do, such as running them well, - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
than worrying about what its lowest-level employees are saying about them on an obscure online forum. Little wonder, then, that some of the companies that are most paranoid about what their employees "say" about them are the ones that are not only likely falling apart at the seams, but also giving said employees PLENTY to talk about.

- MTBankAccount
someone probably dropped a dime - think about it
[ In Reply To ..]
the name of the company is in the link in the OP - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Your description of events - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
In the post you linked to, you were quite detailed about the contract/pay issues, scanning/emailing problems, times and dates of training, etc., plus your health issues and former employer. That was a good bit of individual-specific information and it transpired in a very narrow time frame. I'm not surprised they figured out who made that post.

I agree you were not bashing them - just commenting and questioning. They could have taken the pay issue and contract corrections as public criticism, or they don't like employees conferring, or they see you as a possible rabble rouser or troublemaker because you did ask/answer questions outside their bubble.

I'm sorry that happened to you. You went to a lot of effort to get things set up and right in order to work and earn, and then it gets snatched away.

Good luck in your continued search.

Exactly - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the points that you made and the only reason, again that I had made the post here was because it was of the emails that I received from them, stating they could not open the files or couldn't get them to print, etc. I ended up having problems with one of the templates not loading correctly once I started working (and this happened 3 times and infrequently). I called the company that handles the software, was told what to do, and sent an email yesterday to the people in charge telling them the steps to take in case other MTs were having the same problem. I really don't know the background of the company, as far as size etc. As far as the comment regarding Nuance was concerned, that was said in a tongue-in-cheek manner, meaning that I was glad that I had found a company that offered straight typing and for the foreseeable future, had no plans with going to VR or EHR.

I am by no means a troublemaker and generally the type of person that is "just leave me alone and let me get the work done."

I guess I am just of the opinion that while there are people who come on here to "bash companies," I am not that type of person, and have never been that type of person. I may post if someone asks and say something to the effect that I had a good experience with this company, or I didn't feel like I was a good fit for this company, but everyone is different and what might be great for someone, might not fit another person's needs. In all honesty, I had forgotten about that post, because I had received no responses to it. When the call came today/(yesterday), I was thinking it was in reference to a post made on The Job Seekers Board, when someone had asked if they were still hiring, and I told them that I found out that they had hired everyone. That was the post which I thought they were referring to, and not the other one.

It's really no surprise they read this board, but finding out who you are - and then firing you is a new one. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
?

not new - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
people have been fired - and sued - because of this kind of disclosure.

There's only one thing wrong with whistle-blowers: - There arent enough of them! We need more.

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Sorry, but I can see their point - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry you lost your job, but to quote you:

"I have a feeling that this company is extremely small. They want ALL communication done via email -- no phione calls unless it is a DIRE emergency. The platform is easy to use and I inadvertantly did one report last night -- (again, this was based on the person I spoike to on Saturday saying they were really backlogged and could use all the help they could get). The dictator was easy to understand and it is a psychiatric account, so even through it is a VBC line rate, it may turn out to be a decent money-maker. I just wish they were a bit more organized and got back to emails in a more timely manner than they do. We will see how it goes because I really as I mentioned before, do not want to do the VR thing if I can help it. Got fired from Nuance because I couldn't meet their darned requirements, so trying to avoid that if at all possible."

Now, I understand that this is all your own opinion based on your own experience with the company. The problem though, is to voice these things with a)so much personal detail and b)with so little time in. As a new hire, your position is quite precarious. I think you really pushed their buttons in that if you're complaining so much now and you're brand new, how much of a problem will you be down the line? Plus, I think you really dammed yourself with them by posting the reason you were fired from Nuance.

Granted, posters on here have said worse things about their own MTSOs, but what you posted does come across like a slap in the face, especially from a new hire.

Also... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Also, the title of your post was "Did anyone else bite the bullet and go with..." That in itself sounds derogatory. As well, your post was so specific that it probably took them two seconds to know who it was. If you were the only person having issues with the attachments, right there you let the cat out of the bag. If you were the only one who had to reschedule training because of a doctor appointment, you gave yourself away with that one. As well, if you were the only person who talked to the recruiter on that given day, you gave yourself away again.

Title of my post - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
The title of my post to me, anyway was a bit of tongue in cheek humor, considering there had been posts made about the company and the rate of pay. I could not figure out why someone who had knowledge of computers wasn't able to print out a scanned document in a common format. I then receive a contract that has the wrong rate of pay, as well as the wrong information regarding when we would be paid. After sending an email to the office, and not getting a reply for several hours or even a day later, then yes, I would turn to a forum such as this, as I had no other contact information.
Turn here for what? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Your post didn't include a question. It was just a bunch of complaints.
Excuse me but sorry you feel that way - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry that you felt as if I was coming across as complaing. I was not. Because of my physical limitations, I was actually glad that I found a company that offered ST. I had no complaints about the pay, although others had posted about their pay in a negative manner. I had my 81 year old father print and scan the documents for me. (This was the first time he had ever done this). He sent them to me in individual emails. I checked each email to make sure they had scanned correctly and they had. I put those documents in a file and attached them to the email. I got an email back saying that they either couldn't open them or print them. I then converted the .jpg files into .doc files and sent them individually and as a zip file. This was the FIRST time I had ever received an email stating the files could not be opened. I got an email saying that they were able to open and print the files, but hadn't received my signed contract. Went through paperwork, no contact. Contact is sent but had wrong information, so rate of pay was corrected, however, the dates regarding when to send invoices and when to expect pay were not corrected. Contract stated we got paid monthly. I was told during the interview we were paid on the 15th and Eom no later than the first. I made the necesary corrections, printed, signed, scanned and sent. Again JMHO, but I believe this was a small company, who landed a rather large account and they ended up swamped, with hiring, and setting up new software. There may have been only a handful of MTs peviously, because when I asked about DD, they didn't offer it and mailed the checks. Again, that was not a concern because I deposit my check by taking a picture and sending it that way.
Horse is out of the barn - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You are going to a lot of effort to explain away your role in this. You are actually continuing to vilify this employer through your explanations that you didn't vilify them in the first place.

You don't seem to be grasping that your post about them WAS derogatory. You appeared to find fault with everything they did. You also appeared to want to hamper their efforts to hire other employees, both by posting derogatory remarks and by proclaiming that they were no longer hiring.

You are also failing to note that you identified yourself quite clearly as having a medical disability that you did not mention to them, and as having been fired from Nuance, which you undoubtedly did not mention, either.

Just one of those things is enough to get someone fired. Considering all of them, it is no wonder they saw "problem employee" and decided to terminate you.

Continuing to try to justify this is not going to help you in your quest to get a job and keep it. Consider this water under the bridge and learn from what people are telling you.

When you find another job, don't do this kind of thing again. Don't quibble about training times, either. By refusing to reschedule a doctor's appointment, you made it very clear that your attitude toward this job was inappropriately casual.
Horse out of the barn - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Firing someone on the basis of a medical disability (and you do not have to tell them) is illegal. If that is the reason the OP was terminated, it is grounds for a discrimination law suit.
Oh, good grief - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Have you even read the whole thread?

She wasn't fired because of a disability, unless you want to call being naive a disability.
Anonymous - Astonished
[ In Reply To ..]
Discrimination lawsuit my whiskers. It is a simple case of bad judgment.
Reply to your post - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
This was an IC position, so therefre, really no recourse. I re-read ny contract (one page), and nothing was included regarding "grounds for termination or severace of the contract."

It is just my opinion and only that, and what I tried to convey in my original post from over a week ago, was that this company was a relatively small company, who had landed a rather large contract, and more than likely, had been "overwhelmed with resumes," etc. (I believe when I looked last week), their ad had over 1600 views.

My only intention with that post was trying to find out if other employees who had been recently hired were experiencing the same problems. I was also trying to add a bit of levity and humor regarding the whole situation. The only reason the company name was mentioned in the title of my post was to be in contact with employees of said company.

It's just really sad now that things like this occur.
OP - xxx
[ In Reply To ..]
I hear lots of "reasons" for why this happened to you, but never have you mentioned any personal responsibility. They're not "doing it to you." Your posts sound sort of like that old saying, "I was just sitting on the tracks and a big train came along." What was your role in this? While I do not believe you intended to hurt the company you worked for, the way you posted it was not a classy thing to do. Just saying.

I don't think telling the truth about a company - is "bashing". Its HONESTY.

[ In Reply To ..]
And this field needs a lot more of that, don't you think?
okay the company couldn't open some Jpg files - I would not go to work for them
[ In Reply To ..]
You're right. If they had trouble opening JPG files they could be up to all kinds of things! who knows? and there was a problem with the software too! My goodness! Thanks OP for opening our eyes!

Should be mentioned once again, a person had - law suit because of what said on this site

[ In Reply To ..]
This was several years ago and I read the postings myself and thought not a good thing. Well, the owner saw and before long it was a court case. I do not know the outcome but the MT who wrote came back and said she had to go to court. Others here might have more information on just why the court case. Everyone, treat this just like you would in posting anywhere. You cannot post on places like Facebook and think just you or your friends know because that is false. I saw where my DIL posted on FB about wanting another job, hated her 20+ year job at a school and before you knew it she was out of a job, fired. I personally have experience with a former employer coming here and then asking here if I posted something about the company. It has been and is being done. You better be aware can happen.

I can see their point as well - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
If she had issues with their organization and response times, it would have been better to handle it directly with her supervisor. I think it was inappropriate to post such info on here.

I would venture a guess that 90% of the MTs here - would get no response from supervisors. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Old Pro -- Reply to your post - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
When I received an email stating that they were unable to "print the files," which were in .jpg format, I wasn't sure if it was an error on my part or what. Nothing was really said in the email other than "we can't print the documents." This was the first time I had ever encountered this problem after sending new hire paperwork to other companies as a "scanned docment." I was finally able to convert them on my own to .doc format, sent them in, and did not hear anything for several hours as to whether they had been received or not -- hence the post on MTStars. I finally got an email back regarding the contract, which they had not sent with the other paper work. Things were wrong in the contract that needed to be corrected.

I have been in this business for over 30 years, and this is the first time I have ever had issues with things like this. I received paperwork from them, that was in a different format of Word than what I had on my computer (what I received from them looked like pieces of paper with a .file extension). I ended up being able to convert those files. When the contract was finally sent, it had the wrong rate of pay, as well as the wrong dates of pay on it. The documents that needed to be signed were printed and scanned by my 81-year-old father, who has never really used the scanner portion of his printer, so when the email stated that the files could not be printed on their end, that is when I made the post, just basically to see if anyone else had the same or a similar problem.

Yes, I made a comment about them being a small company, which I believe they were, got the contract for this account and were overwhelmed probably with reviewing resumes, interviewing and hiring MTs, emails asking questions, receiving paperwork and setting up training. That was not meant or was it intended to be bashing the company in any way, but a simple observation. When the comment was made regarding pay, I myself was not being negative about it at all -- there were others that had made posts regarding what they felt to be a low rate of pay and when I spoke to the recruiter herself, she said that several people had felt the rate was too low, but that is what had been negotiated between the facility and the company. I have never been paid at a VBC rate, but I figured wtih this being the type of work that it was, that I could make a decent paycheck and I was willing to give it a shot to see how things worked out, hence, my reference to "biting the bullet."

During the interview, I told the recruiter that the only time I would not be available to train would be Monday afternoon. I got an email from the software company, stating that I was scheduled for training at "xxx time." This was at the time that my doctors appointment was scheduled. Hence, a tongue-in-cheek referebce to "Murphy's Law." I received an email back, stating all the paperwork except for the contract had been printed out. Went back through paperwork, no contract. I finally recieved the contact 2-3 hours later after stating that it had not been included in the previous paperwork. I opened up the contract and was reading it before filling it out, printing it, signing it, scanning it and sending it back. The rate of pay was wrong from what was quoted to me, as were the pay dates. Sent yet another email mentioning the errors, received a new copy of the contract back, which had the CORRECT rate of pay, however, pay dates and dates for submitting invoices were wrong. I finally changed the information myself and submitted the contract.

I sent emails both Monday and Tuesday regarding my training and finally receive an email back stating when it would occur. Went through the training and they wanted us to all start the next day and we were told to contact the office via email before starting to work so they could place work in our que. Started work on Thursday and opened up my third report and got "gibberish" in the document. It wasn't happening with every report, just a certain work type. I sent an email to both the QA person and "the people in charge," with copying what was on the screen in the email. I get a reply that "never seen that before, and no one else seems to be having that problem." I was told to call tech support at the software company -- since it was a weekend, the call had to be placed Monday. Sunday, I log in to work, and I received a total of 2 reports for the whole day. Another email sent because I wasn't sure if it was a technical issue or what and was told to "keep checking throughout the day." Again, no email sent to the MTs stating that work was low or whether it was a technical issue.

Monday, sent an email telling them I was ready to work and received a reply back, which I felt was "snippy," stating that they didnt have time to answer everyone's emails. Okay, went into work and ended up calling tech support when I got the "glitch yet again." (I had an instance before when working for another company, called the software company of my own violition and was called on the carpet because I had). The tech told me what to do and I made the necessary changes and that seemed to fix the problem. I proceeded to send an email outlining what to do in case anyone else had experienced the problem. They did send it to the other MTs, but it would have been really nice to have recieved something to the effect of "thanks for doing that." Moday evening, I received 2 reports from a doctor who sounded like they were on a speaker phone but standing in another part of the room. I ended up with 2 reports from this doctor and even though all of my work was going through QA anyway, I made a note and told them that the audio quality was very poor. In all this time, I had received a total of 3 emails back from QA regarding "the quality of my work." The first one dealt more with formatting issues (received on Friday), and basically receiving emails of "your reports are looking great." Tuesday, I received 2 emails from QA (after I had started working) and made note of what they had found and planned to review the actual reports after I was done with the one dictation I had started. Again, another hard ESL do. I completed that report and was in the process of going back, relistening and filling in the blanks, when I received "the awful phone call." Again, when I received the call, they called my cell phone, (which was sitting right next to me) and hung up. They proceeded to call my father's land line (the number of which I had given to the recruiter, when I explained to her that my cell reception was bad in certain areas). They immediately accused me of "slandering the company or whatever, because of a post that had been made here. The only post that I even remembered was in reply to a gal who asked if the company was still hiring. The Assistant Manager, then proceeds to read the post that I had made over a week ago to me over the phone, without giving me a chance to explain the purpose or rationale behind it.

I believe that professonalism is a two way street. As a former MTSO, I am sure that when you had new people coming aboard they had many questions and would either contact you by phone or email. I am sure as well, that you had "the ducks in row," as far as making sure the paperwork was correct and responded to your employees in a timely manner. By the same token, the employees also need to realize that there is a business to be run and even though you are an IC, they expect you to be available at certain hours. I was available and working during those hours and if I had an appointment or whatever, I communicated this to them via email as I have every other employer that I have worked for.

When the reference was made to "Nuance" (or other such companies) it was made in the context of the fact that I had found a job that was straight typing only. I was truly hoping that this would be "it" in terms of employment, whether I received disability or not (the process of which I have just started). Again, because we are "faceless" to the employer, they have no idea of what issues the other person on the other side of the screen might be facing. I worked in an administrative capacity before doing MT and with all of those positions, I had to sign an EEOC form, because of the fact that in their eyes, the employer felt I had a disability. With this line of work, that doesn't happen unless you have an actual face-to-face interview.
Wordmed biz - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The issue isn't that you made derogatory remarks about them, the issue is that they realized they had an MT who wasn't going to allow herself to be upon and was going to question discrepancies and expect accountability.

While I'm sorry you lost your job, I have a feeling you were handed a gift. To others considering working for this company, it truly becomes buyer beware. They've already proven they don't want to be held accountable for their own shortcomings.
Do you or have you worked for the company? - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your post. It was never my intention to "bash" this company or whatever people may want to call it. I have stated what I feel is the truth regarding the whole matter. I gave them the benefit of the doubt when I received a contract that technically had to be corrected twice, I took the time to research to see how a .jpg file could be convereted so that it could be opened and later printed. Not knowing that ES was built in to WebChart MD, when I spoke to the recruiter during my interview I mentioned the Record Player as another alternative to playing and listening to voice files. When I started having the problem with templates, I sent the instructions on how other MTs could correct the problem. I did not do these things to "brown nose or win points," but more to show them that as an MT, I do take my job responsibilities seriously. They asked for hours of my availability which I provided to them.

Yes, there were things written in my original post that "identified me;" however, were put there in the sense of being able to find a straight typing job and not having to deal with VR. Yes, I provided too much personal information, but at the time, I was ready and able to work and when the comment is made during the interview of "well if you get all your paperwork in, you can start later tonight if you want." I sent them yet another email today. It took me quite a while to write because I wanted to make sure that the words I had written sounded as professional as possible. I have never considered MT a job. I have always considered it a career. There used to be a time when MTSOs cared about employees and those who were dedicated, hard-working and loyal, were treated with respect and sometimes rewarded. I remember having "not so good days," and my supervisor/boss telling me to take the day off -- can't do that nowadays.

Our friends and family really don't even understand to the full extent what this profession has become. I lost my apartment and everything in it, due to what this industry has become. I am now staying with my 81-year-old father, who is not in good health and sitting down at dinner tonight, the conversations was "so what are you doing about finding a place to live?" "Are you working?" and so on. They have no clue to the fact that our wages have become ridiculously low. I think sometimes too, that there is the aspect and I have seen it mentioned that "well you work at home, you can do this, this and this." No, I have a job just liike you and because of my wages being what they are I genrally am working 10-12 hours a day. Monday evening, I really pushed myself and felt great over the fact that I had done almost 1100 lines in an 8-9 hour period. I will probably be contacting the local homeless shelter tomorrow as well as the Crisis Line, because frankly, I am just ready to throw in the towel on everything. I guess too, that as far as my claim for Disability is concerned, having a psychiatric diagnosis probably wouldn't hurt either (just kidding).
Here you go again! nm - Ruminating and obsessing come to mind.
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
and didn't the original post start out - please be careful?
[ In Reply To ..]
I'd say by now the OP has thrown all caution to the wind!
Wow - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
This is getting beyond crazy.
Suggest professional help. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
OP, take a good look at what you just posted. Think about why you posted it. What were you trying to accomplish?

And what were you trying to achieve with the threat to "throw in the towel?"

Whatever it was, the behavior you are exhibiting . . . posting ever-lengthening, convoluted explanations that paint your actions in complete innocence . . . is pretty much the reason you were terminated. You brought this on yourself.

You seem to have been awake and on your computer all last night and today. Your father seems to be suggesting that you need to find a job and a place to live. You are now hinting about suicide and making jokes about a psychiatric diagnosis.

In all truth, all of this paints the picture of a person who needs to seek help from a professional. Please do call the crisis line and get a referral or go to the ED.

To OP - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
We all make mistakes in life and use poor judgment/be imprudent at times. When I look back over my long life at the number and kinds of the mistakes I have made, I cringe and my face goes red. (Not a pretty sight.) I have found that what has been the most helpful to me in these kinds of situations is to carefully and without emotion examine the situation, take personal responsibility for what I did wrong, be responsible for what I contributed to the problem, ask myself what I can learn and then think about that, and then move on. Let it go. It's over. It's time to move on. I wish you the very best.
I said that and was told to go away - and stop playing mom nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Moral of the story is if you are going to rant - do not give intricate details

[ In Reply To ..]
Your original post made it incredibly obvious who you were and, while your post was not necessarily derogatory, there was certainly the implication that this company was run by a bunch of incompetents, i.e. the list of the myriad mistakes they had made with paperwork, etc.

I feel bad for you but I am not sure why you are surprised. We all know that all the MTSOs troll this board and you did everything but give your actual name in that post.

I do find it interesting that they have time to comb through this boards so closely that they caught a post that no one even responded to.

I know I thought the same thing - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it was strange as well as one of the ladies jokingly said she works almost 24 hours a day. Also, the recruiter herself had told me during the interview that people finding out that the pay was based on VBC, told her the pay was too low. She explained that because of the hospital system, thatis how they had to pay. I have never been paid that way, so decided to try it and hence, my "bite the bullet remark.

On continuing to post derogatory information - about this company

[ In Reply To ..]
You are continuing to post derogatory information about this employer. Now, you are clearly attempting to turn prospective employees away from them.

If they had any doubt about your identity, you have eliminated it. They will soon have enough justification to sue you.

OP isn't turning away prospective employees, - this MTSO is doing it themselves. N/M
[ In Reply To ..]
X
People need to be careful - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Slander, libel and defamation are all actionable and action has been taken against people for posting inappropriate things on boards. Not making you wrong, it's just like they say in the Marines: CYA.
Slander, libel and defamation are only actionable - if it is a LIE, purposefully spread
[ In Reply To ..]
in order to hurt someone.

I can't believe someone "disliked" clarification - of legal terms. LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
Facts are facts, people. There's no need to get someone worked up over something that's not legally possible.

Libel, slander and defamation all involve *false* claims--not stating unflattering facts about a company.

Can you imagine if companies could sue every time someone left them a bad review?

slan·der
/ˈslandər/
Noun
The action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

li·bel
/ˈlībəl/
Noun
A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

defamation
Web definitions
a false accusation of an offense or a malicious misrepresentation of someone's words or actions.
It's because people are petty. - nm.
[ In Reply To ..]
How can they sue, if she isn't lying? - Or giving out protected info?
[ In Reply To ..]
I've had people threaten to sue me for saying bad things about them that were true, and I just laugh. You can't sue someone for saying mean things, unless they are lying about it.

It is possible that the information about - the post

[ In Reply To ..]
wasn't found by the MTSO. It is possible that another forum reader saw it and told them about it and where to find it. When posting on a public forum, what you say is available to anyone, and anyone can pass that on to anyone else.

That is a thought that I had as well... - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
That is possible; however, we are not even provided email addresses of the other people who contract with the company, so I guess I was just thinking that it would be the two "head honchos," and the only person who might have even known of the distability factor would have been the person that I talked to during the initial interview.
OP - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Why are you hanging onto this? Time to own it, my friend, and move on. You are becoming obsessive about this whole thing, and it just is not healthy. Perhaps it is time to see a professional?

I'm sure you're really upset - sorry

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be too. I hope you find something else really soon.

How could they tell it was your post? Our emails - arent revealed by this site. (n/m)

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

How could they tell? - Read up!

[ In Reply To ..]
Yep, some companies (many?) do read what's on this site.

I worked for a smallish company that had hired someone who was terminated soon after being hired. That person came here and posted a royal rant. (I went over it a few times, and--to me--it read like this gal was off her trolley).

We got a mass e-mail about all this from the company. They claimed she complained, argued, criticized. After having read her post, I believe them.

That's a deviation from the norm. Usually, it is - the MTSO thats "off its trolley." nm

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

How could they tell? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are using your work computer to post, the company can trace your IP address.

They didn't need to trace her IP. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
She gave them enough info in her post that they were easily able to identify her especially with this being a small company.
Absolutely. She did everything - short of
[ In Reply To ..]
broadcasting her actual name and address. Once the company was aware of the post, they had no trouble at all in identifying the poster from the details she, herself, provided.

The OP was extremely imprudent in making her complaints known on a public forum and extremely naïve if she assumed she could not be identified after the detailed comments she made. Really, she has no one to blame but herself. As a new employee, she was still an unknown quantity to the company. At the point they became aware of her post, that became all they knew about her, and it did not paint a favorable picture. It is not surprising that they decided she was a loose cannon and more trouble than she was worth. The OP should use this as a learning experience and move on.

no, they (her work place) cannot "trace her IP". Only the moderators can see those. - and I dont believe they hand them out like candy.

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Not without Moderator's permission, and in the - sticky posts above she says IPs arent revealed.

[ In Reply To ..]

I may be wrong but I think it also requires a court order to - reveal sources. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
+

Why does your story keep changing? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I caught an earlier post where she said she did not reveal - her disability

[ In Reply To ..]
But later in the thread indicates she revealed her disability to the initial HR person she spoke with or something like that.

OP, please check but I do not believe you need to reveal your physical disabilities to any employer or potential employer, unless it somehow interferes with your ability to do the job for which you are being hired.

I never volunteer any information other than in answer to direct questions posed to me during the recruiting process.

i agree - sharon

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you. I too am an older MT (18 years) and I just ran into a company who did the same way, although I was terminated before I got started. This company only wanted to pay "once" a month and then there were software issues, they go on vacation and I guess fixing it was to come from the sky. Then I get a very rude phone call from the owner of the company and had to block them. I would suggest staying with the more "professional" companies out there and not the "mom and pop" outfits.

sharon - lila

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't paint everyone with the same brush. I work for a mom and pop and have made 20k so far this year.

my mother has a saying - rose castorini

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093565/quotes?item=qt0406843

okay let's move on - shall we?

[ In Reply To ..]
The OP previously posted a thread in frustration. Her new employer saw it. Her new employer could tell it was she because there were so many details included (including the name of the company). The employer fired her. She is upset. With every post she digs herself in deeper. It's time to move on.

"move on" yourself - YNTBOA

[ In Reply To ..]
Go play Mom somewhere else.

tell me one thing that needs to be said - that has not already been said 6 times nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
That's not the point - Hen Party Central
[ In Reply To ..]
Not every conversation is based on what NEEDS to be said.

Some are just fun to watch.

Don't like it? Go away.

let's move on - sensible

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you.

It was obvious... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
which company you were speaking about. It is a very small operation, so it would have been obvious who you are to the owner, I would assume. I don't think you lost much anyway, since weren't they only paying 7 cpl without spaces? Just keep in mind for future reference that it's not always difficult to figure out who is posting about which company.

Call the ACLU....1st amendment, freedom of speech!! nm - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I really hope you're being - Facetious. Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

If the consequences are out of proportion to the - "crime", then there is no freedom of speech.

[ In Reply To ..]
Censorship is almost never used for good, instead mostly for evil purposes.
This not a freedom of speech issue - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
The First Amendment applies only to government infringement of free speech. She is still free to express herself as she chooses, to say anything she wants wherever she wants. She is, however, not free of the consequences should she make remarks her employer finds unacceptable.

It was not the government who fired her, it was the employer. The employer was offended by her remarks and, not being bound by the First Amendment, allowed her to experience the consequences. She remains free to say whatever she wants, but the employer is not obliged to tolerate being depicted unfavorably by an employee.
To xx - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Your explanation is right on and very clearly stated. If you are not considering becoming a lawyer, you should. You are very articulate. It is refreshing to see a post by someone who actually understands the First Amendment and its attendant issues. My hat of off to you! Have a great weekend!
Thanks for your encouragement, Nick, but - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm already on my third career. After I retired from my second career (the first was the Air Force) a few years ago, I went back to school to become a PA (and kept my part-time MT job just because). I have a great job managing research projects for the VA, so I'm not in the market for a new career now at age 63. I think three will be enough. When I graduated from college back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I did briefly consider law school, but it sounded like too much work, so I chose the Air Force instead. It worked out well for me as it led to a great long-term career.

I believe I have read that you are in law school, though, so I hope that works out well for you. I know it is a lot of hard work and long hours now, but there will be rewards at the end. Good luck to you!
xx - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks right back atcha! It sounds like you have had a great career. Yes, I am a law student, lots of work. Thanks for your good wishes! Sadly and alas, I am concerned about where MT is going. It sounds like both you and I are covered, but I do worry about the younger people just starting out.....Anyway, have a great weekend!

smeeps - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
The ACLU would laugh her out of the room. This is not a First Amendment issue. It is a good common sense issue.

Similar Messages:

Here Is What MTSOs Make:
Oct 24, 2014

Dictation time:  15 minutes @ $1.50/min 24-hour turnaround: Add $1.50/min Total cost for a 15 minute dictation: $45.00 I ask you this, how much do you make transcribing a 15 minute dictation? Totally blows, huh? ...

Have Seen Ppl Post They Work 14 Hrs A Day To Make 8 Hrs Lines. How Do They Get Around Webclock?
Feb 13, 2014

nm ...

BEFORE YOU POST - Make Sure You Use The Correct Board - See List On Left. NM
Feb 23, 2011

. ...

Moderator - Please Make This A "sticky" Post.
May 31, 2012

When you ask for word help, you'll enhance your chances of receiving a prompt answer if you provide sufficient context for your query.  Sometimes, this means the complete sentence in which your problematic word or phrase appears, but often it means more than that.  It might mean that we need to know something about the patient's history and/or diagnoses.  We might need to know what relevant lab values have been dictated.   There's nothing more frustrating than ...

To V10--Be Careful
Jul 23, 2010

Don't be too quick to tag this all as drama.  I have been with MQ for about 12 years.  I left and came back 1-1/2 years ago.  I was told many things in being hired back that were not true. Then I was micro-managed when I came back.  Things have settled down and I am very fortunate to still have enough work, although not on my primary account. Please know that this is not just all drama.  It is very stressful if you are the main bread-winner.  If not,may not be ...

Really Careful
Dec 20, 2010

Editing ASR.  Doctor CLEARLY states upcoming eye surgery and the ASR transcribed upcoming "knee" surgery.  There is no way this sounded like knee surgery, but that is what it put.  It was spelled correctly, looked OK.  If I had not been actually editing and listening and doing what I understand some people do and just "proofreading," there is no way I would have caught this.  It is not possible to edit MQ's ASR without listening to every word (and get it right) -- a ...

BE CAREFUL!!!
Oct 07, 2014

The comma police are coming to an audit near you.  Be afraid, be very afraid.  Woooo. ...

Be Careful - More Landmines
Nov 25, 2013

It's probably my "conspiracy theorist" mind at work but a couple of weeks ago I posted a few ASR errors in reports that a great number of MTs were missing/overlooking that could cost a lot of points in an audit.  Since then, I'm noticing a big flood of other ones so I wanted to just post a big warning to BE CAREFUL.  I'm not sure if these little landmines are sprinkled through our reports in order to trip us up on audits but I want you all to be especially watchful and d ...

Be Very Careful When Applying To SoftScript
Dec 05, 2009

Be very careful when applying to SoftScript.  They have many openings but I have applied, when through the testing, got an interview, but they never called and when trying to find answers they never respond.  I would be very skeptical of working for a company like this.  I also checked a little into them and found out that I was not the first one that this has happened to, plus getting work can be a problem and keeping work can be a problem.  ...

Be Careful With The Time Clock
Jun 24, 2010

at least once a day I go to clock out, and it clocks me in again automatically immediately.  I then have to wait and clock out again during the next minute or so to make sure that I am indeed officially clocked OUT. Watch it closely.  I don't know what is up. ...

I Am Usually Careful About Comments On Line
Dec 11, 2012

but this takes the cake.  I have a good notion not to finish my shift.  If I wasn't the sole wage earner, I'd sure quit this very moment.  They start off saying our compensation will be based on skill and competency levels -- right.  Oh and reeking of Obama philosphy, giving us "equal earning opportunity."  Now PTO is calculated on how many hours you work, rather than years with the company or FT status?  Nonproduction hour pay is cut.  I love the tra ...

Careful With World Wide Dictation
Jul 23, 2012

Nice people, but the two things I mentioned above unfortunately cancel those out.  Plus 3 cpl is RIDICULOUS!! ...

Proof Positive - The Harder I Try, The More Careful I Am, The Worse I Do.
Mar 19, 2014

Failed another audit. Third failure in a row and worse than the last 2. Going slower, proofreading, trying harder does absolutely no good. Fooled by ASR a few times too. I am also sick of getting dinged occasionally because AAMT/ADHI decides to change the way something should be written. I have been transcribing for 30 years. I was so careful that, for the first time in a real long time, I have some makeup pay, i.e., I made less than minimum wage. Although I need to inform my QAM that ...

Be Careful, There, Supes, DOL Does Care How Much Extra Scrutiny
Jun 28, 2014

Big 'ole no no, that one. ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Someone Below Said "be Careful" Of Precyse
Jan 29, 2011

I work there and have mixed feelings.  Just curious as to other experiences/opinions. ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

Why Do MTSOs Pay So Little Now?
Aug 31, 2011

Just a few years ago I was making 50K plus doing the same exact thing I am now getting paid 10-12 dollars an hour for.    Does anybody know the real reason for this dramatic change?  the details? ...

Hey, MTSOs
Dec 20, 2011

When will you MTSOs wise up and realize that pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of account specs for nitpicky docs SLOW DOWN YOUR MTs?  If you had any sense, you would use standardized headings in all reports and then turn that into a positive by telling prospective clients that it expedites turnaround of their reports.  That is *exactly* what I did back when I owned my company, and it worked!&n ...

Hey, MTSOs...
May 25, 2012

If you want experienced qualified MTs who have been doing this for years and years & can do any WT, any accent, any specialty, adapt to any software quickly.... quit requiring them to include a weekend day.  Save those for part-timers or newbies.  The experienced "oldies" have done their graveyard and weekend time.  There are actually some companies who "get" that.  If you're wondering why you can't find good experienced MTs, maybe that's why... ...

Any MTSOs Out There?
May 26, 2013

Hello! I'm a small MTSO who had lost some clients due to EMR.  I'm not yet ready to give up as of yet because I love this profession very much being in the MT business for the past 11 years.  I have heard stories about more and more doctors getting frustrated with EMR and would still want to dictate parts of the medical reports but somehow needed the transcribed dictation interfaced with their own EMR system.  I'm very interested to learn how this is done so I can o ...

Any MTSOs That Do NOT Use QA To
Mar 31, 2014

Honestly, I hate change but I am ready to jump. I don't ask too much, just to know if I get audited by QA the intent is not to take money off me. From what I can see, both the two big 2 - Nuance and MModal - use QA punitively financially, and while I have no objection to QA, when it is used to pick off MT pay I find that reprehensible and not an incentive to work your heart out, if you get what I mean. If anyone cares to share their company's policies, especially if they don't ...

Are There Any MTSOs Out There
Sep 05, 2014

on an employee status?  Would love to get out of the big N, but I don't want to be an IC at my age. ...

MTSOs: Would You Please Tell Us When There Is No
Feb 09, 2015

That would make things much easier for us to plan ahead the rest of our shift;  whether to sit there and wait for work, or if we only will be working part of a shift and the work runs out,  or if we can sign out and do other things in our personal life that need to be done.  I can't see that it's that big a problem or inconvenience for you to simply send an email to all on the account, or instant message, or whatever.  You do it when you're begging for he ...

Do You Think MTSOs Are Using VR Instead Of Offshoring?
Oct 20, 2009

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that the VR came about as an answer to the problem of offshoring.  I am sure many clients prefer to keep their dictation/transcription right here in the USA and request that from the companies they use.  Maybe we should not be so adverse to it, as it could be the only means of keeping the work here affordably. ...

Question For MTSOs
Nov 12, 2009

How do you handle using subcontractors (IC's) and still be HIPAA and HITECH compliant?  I guess what I'm getting at is after I did some reading on IRS rules for employee versus IC, it sounds almost impossible to have IC and be HIPAA/HITECH compliant. One says I have to provide training/education on HIPAA, yet the other ones says I can't provide training/education otherwise they are an "employee."  One says I can't dictate how the work station is set up, etc., but t ...

How Do MTSOs Get Away With Hiring Only ICs.
Dec 17, 2009

Is this just a scam so that employers don't have to pay benefits and employer taxes?  I bet if there was an audit, most ICs and MTSOs would be in trouble for using that classification improperly, especially for the full-time positions. I even applied for a full-time secretarial job in a small law office recently, and was told I would be hired as a contractor with no benefits.  I was stunned and declined.  I need to check with the labor department to see if some of my concern ...