A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hey, MTSOs - MT

Posted: Dec 20, 2011

When will you MTSOs wise up and realize that pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of account specs for nitpicky docs SLOW DOWN YOUR MTs? 

If you had any sense, you would use standardized headings in all reports and then turn that into a positive by telling prospective clients that it expedites turnaround of their reports.  That is *exactly* what I did back when I owned my company, and it worked!  It was a small company (only 18 accounts), but guess what!  THERE WERE NO SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS.  ZERO. 

Our clients were THRILLED, LOVED US, and we did no advertising -- procurement of new accounts was via referral from other satisfied customers.

I'm ready for your question:  The company is closed because I suffered a major health crisis.  But I'm very proud of the work that we did.

The POINT is that all this buttkissing of clents that you're doing doesn't affect patient care, is completely unnecessary, and annoys and slows down your MTs (which of course adversely affects TAT).

nitpicky accts - YEP!

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree 100000%!! I work for a small company and there are NO special instructions or pages of stupid "stuff" to adhere to - and we are fast at TAT and she also gets new accounts via word of mouth. It is a JOY to work for her!

Hey MT. We don't care. You have made it that way. sm - Fed Up MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 15 employees, 10 ICs and to be honest, really don't care anymore. I am not a millionaire, work harder and longer than anyone who works for me and am sick of the whining. This is a job, that's all. I don't owe you anything but a decent line rate and a paycheck on payday. Before I get slammed, you need to be realistic about line rates. We DO NOT get 22 cpl anymore. Those days are gone. We get 12cpl and 13cpl if we are lucky. We can only pay 7 cpl and 8 cpl and survive. Those who pay higher don't survive very long and those who pay lower end up selling out to MQ.

Go ahead and bash away, but walk a mile in my shoes, in the shoes of the MTSOs. We have to keep overhead expenses paid, pay taxes and keep both customers and transcriptionists happy. We have to hire accountants and lawyers to make sure that we are on top of everything we need to be on top of. We have to juggle TAT's and schedules and have to meet increasing customer demands with employees and IC's who want to do less and less.

If you don't like what transcription has turned into, leave. Go do something that makes you happy. But before you go, think about what you are leaving. A decent paycheck, working from home without gas and car costs, an office wardrobe, daycare and office politics. I used to love being an MTSO and have always treated everyone fairly but fair does not mean that I have to give you every last cent and then some.

Wrong! It's MTSO's fault. - TMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If MTSOs didn't just HAVE to have all jobs out there, making low-ball offers to hospitals and clnics to get those jobs from dedicated MTs, thus setting the current standard line rate, we all -- and I mean all of us -- wouldn't be in the poor shape we're in right now.

Hey MTSO: Your reading comprehension - skills are lacking

[ In Reply To ..]
Go back and read the original post carefully this time. Did the former MTSO say anything about crappy line rates? Umm... no. And, the OP is 100% right. The ridiculous pages and pages of client specs are enough to slow down even the most productive experienced MTs. Most of the rules contained in the client specifics are unnecessary and do not affect patient care whatsoever (yes, a patient will die if headings aren't bolded & underlined with every other letter capitalized)... again the OP is right. So, if you want to pay your MTs a crappy line rate, you would probably have less "whining" if you dropped the ridiculous pages of rules so they can do their jobs and churn out some extra lines to make up for your cheapness. Another tip would be to assign work so your MTs come across the same dictators regularly so they can build up their text expanders/shortcuts (pssst... that increases productivity and accuracy). I'm sure you consider this "whining" instead of something that benefits both the MT and the company.

Don't lash out at the OP because you have trouble running your business, and if you don't care anymore, you shouldn't be anywhere near the healthcare field in the first place.

You don't really think MTSOs are the ones who decide format? - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
As far as I know, it's the PITA clients who want to pay peanuts yet have every picky little thing exactly the way they want. They are the ones who insist how things should be. They don't care enough to dictate in a reasonable manner so they can be understood, but they demand perfection down to the last comma from the MTs.
No, but it's the buttkissing MTSOs who cater - to unreasonable clients
[ In Reply To ..]
who are ultimately responsible for the ridiculous account specs. Not only are they allowing it... they ENCOURAGE it!

At my current company, I am covering 8 or so accounts, 4 of which I am very familiar with and the others I come across every so often. It never fails, when I come across one of the less familiar accounts, I have to stop what I'm doing, grab the specs sheet (more like a booklet), and make sure how they like their headings, can we add headings, is date format month/day/year or xx/xx/xx or xx/xx/xxxx, allergies bolded/capped/regular text/bolded AND capped, etc., etc., and then make sure that the dictator on the report doesn't have their own subset of rules. If I was paid for all the time I've spent wading through rules sheets, I'd be vacationing in Hawaii right now.

IDC how great it sounds to pitch a product "designed to your specifications" (and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the sales pitch sounds like), it does not work, it's too time consuming, and it leaves the company open to receive numerous complaints if and when an MT didn't realize that Dr. So-And-So likes every 3rd sentence punctuated with an exclamation point.

Many moons ago, it was my job to go into offices/facilities and get their transcription department running efficiently. In order to do so, one of the goals to reach would be having the amount of time that an MT's hands are off the keyboard be as low as possible. There were several ways I did this which, when presented to the MD, would immediately get a poo-poo response.... that is, until I mentioned the fact that it would increase production and accuracy and ultimately save them money... then their ears would really perk up.

Again, the OP is 100% right on. And, if she ever decides to get her company up and running again, I'd be the first to apply. She gets it.

sm-fed up MTSO. This is also your opinion behind the scenes. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't go bashing the MT doing the work and saying that old cop-out line of 'if you don't like it, leave.' We are ALL struggling too. We have taxes and bills and have put in YEARS into a job that is our livelihood also. So, because of the economy and the healthcare laws, don't think you are the only one suffering. Good for you that you are trying to survive...as are we all. We also surely are not millionaires on 4 cents. Plus all the benefits YOU say of working at home..I can think of many that are NOT benefits also. I'd love to work in-house again and get some respect. None of use are working less and less as you put it. Hurray for you, thinking you are the only one working so hard...I thik psychiatry has a diagnosis for that personality also.

Thanks! - Beentheredonethat

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank gawd you posted that. I am good friends with a Regional Manager at The Q whose been there since day 1, she said the exact same thing. MTs demanding more and more has PARTLY caused the MT *problem.* I found a GREAT company now that pays well but expects work and high quality...took me 3 years & 3 different MTSOs but I persevered, didn't give up and whine, and found a good fit. It's not a popular message but it is what it is.

Similar Messages:

Why Do MTSOs Pay So Little Now?
Aug 31, 2011

Just a few years ago I was making 50K plus doing the same exact thing I am now getting paid 10-12 dollars an hour for.    Does anybody know the real reason for this dramatic change?  the details? ...

Hey, MTSOs...
May 25, 2012

If you want experienced qualified MTs who have been doing this for years and years & can do any WT, any accent, any specialty, adapt to any software quickly.... quit requiring them to include a weekend day.  Save those for part-timers or newbies.  The experienced "oldies" have done their graveyard and weekend time.  There are actually some companies who "get" that.  If you're wondering why you can't find good experienced MTs, maybe that's why... ...

Any MTSOs Out There?
May 26, 2013

Hello! I'm a small MTSO who had lost some clients due to EMR.  I'm not yet ready to give up as of yet because I love this profession very much being in the MT business for the past 11 years.  I have heard stories about more and more doctors getting frustrated with EMR and would still want to dictate parts of the medical reports but somehow needed the transcribed dictation interfaced with their own EMR system.  I'm very interested to learn how this is done so I can o ...

Any MTSOs That Do NOT Use QA To
Mar 31, 2014

Honestly, I hate change but I am ready to jump. I don't ask too much, just to know if I get audited by QA the intent is not to take money off me. From what I can see, both the two big 2 - Nuance and MModal - use QA punitively financially, and while I have no objection to QA, when it is used to pick off MT pay I find that reprehensible and not an incentive to work your heart out, if you get what I mean. If anyone cares to share their company's policies, especially if they don't ...

Are There Any MTSOs Out There
Sep 05, 2014

on an employee status?  Would love to get out of the big N, but I don't want to be an IC at my age. ...

MTSOs: Would You Please Tell Us When There Is No
Feb 09, 2015

That would make things much easier for us to plan ahead the rest of our shift;  whether to sit there and wait for work, or if we only will be working part of a shift and the work runs out,  or if we can sign out and do other things in our personal life that need to be done.  I can't see that it's that big a problem or inconvenience for you to simply send an email to all on the account, or instant message, or whatever.  You do it when you're begging for he ...

Do You Think MTSOs Are Using VR Instead Of Offshoring?
Oct 20, 2009

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that the VR came about as an answer to the problem of offshoring.  I am sure many clients prefer to keep their dictation/transcription right here in the USA and request that from the companies they use.  Maybe we should not be so adverse to it, as it could be the only means of keeping the work here affordably. ...

Question For MTSOs
Nov 12, 2009

How do you handle using subcontractors (IC's) and still be HIPAA and HITECH compliant?  I guess what I'm getting at is after I did some reading on IRS rules for employee versus IC, it sounds almost impossible to have IC and be HIPAA/HITECH compliant. One says I have to provide training/education on HIPAA, yet the other ones says I can't provide training/education otherwise they are an "employee."  One says I can't dictate how the work station is set up, etc., but t ...

How Do MTSOs Get Away With Hiring Only ICs.
Dec 17, 2009

Is this just a scam so that employers don't have to pay benefits and employer taxes?  I bet if there was an audit, most ICs and MTSOs would be in trouble for using that classification improperly, especially for the full-time positions. I even applied for a full-time secretarial job in a small law office recently, and was told I would be hired as a contractor with no benefits.  I was stunned and declined.  I need to check with the labor department to see if some of my concern ...

Radiololgy MTSOs
Mar 09, 2010

I have finally been offered 2 jobs after working for a company that required experienced MTs but only pays 24,000 a year - that's right, I am eligible for poverty-level discounts on my utilities while working fulltime as a seasoned MT, making the highest line count on my account. So, I wonder how I can ask:  How much money can I expect to make?  I want to make 40 grand a year at least.  ...

TO ALL MTSOs - Please Read And Think About This.
Apr 14, 2010

Let me introduce myself.  I am a full time MT with 25 years experience in this business, averaging typing 2000 lines per day, audit scores 98% and above, who willingly works OT when requested, and I have never taken a sick day.  I consider my job a serious employment commitment. I am the bread-winner in my family.  I don't say this to indicate I make the most money.  This means I PAY THE BILLS.  You know, mortgage, car payments, insurance, light bill, food on the ta ...

Question For MTSOs (sm)
May 06, 2010

I am just curious at what point you stop looking at resumes that have been emailed to you after posting a job.  Is it 50?  100?  More or less?  If I have been away from the board for a bit and come back to find a job that has been posted that I am interested in, if there are more than 200 views to it I generally move on and do not bother with applying.  I figured that with that many viewing probably half or more have applied and sending my resume at that point would be ...

MTSOs Using What You Say On Forums Like This Against You
Jun 15, 2010

I'm not an MTSO, never was, and never would be if I could help it. In one of the threads below someone mentioned that some larger MTSOs hold it against someone if they post something on a forum like this. I put myself in the position of the MTSO for a moment. What would I do if someone contacted me and told me that one of the MTs that was working for me was trashing me on a public forum. I would go look at it. If I knew who they were, I wouldn't send them any additional work. It wouldn ...

MTSOs Being Greedy
Jul 27, 2010

Let's get to the point here on why most MTSOs are greedy.  It is not because the MT makes mistakes or should make mistakes.  That is not the issue.  The real issue is that MTSOs don't pay what a quality MT is worth!  That's where the "greedy" comes in.  It also shows that the MTSO obviously doesn't really care about the transcriptionist at all.  If an MTSO pays really low, this says to me they are treating the MTs as robot "worker bees" work ...

MTSOs And Windows
Jul 29, 2010

Man...sometimes I'm sorry I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit last October.  It is not compatible with many MTSOs' tech, so I can't apply.   ...

Why MTSOs Operate The Way They Do
Jun 23, 2011

I have worked for a company for almost two years now (MT for 11 years) and am wondering why, all of the sudden, for about a week now I have been getting nothing but dictators that I am not familiar with.  They are part of my pool and I have had dictations from them in the past, but never exclusively.  I have only gotten two dictations in this time period from the dictators for whom I normally transcribe.  I understand wanting everyone on the team to be familiar with all ...

ICs And MTSOs. Are You In Compliance? Sm
Feb 03, 2012

ICs beware.  If your MTSO is found to be noncompliant by the IRS, you will be next in their crosshairs. http://erginc.com/pdfs/independent_contractors_20_questions.pdf ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

May 1st Sickout And MTSOs.
Apr 23, 2012

Don't let the threats by MTSOs scare you.  It is true that in most state employment is "at will" but if they fire people for calling in sick, equipment problems, ill child, power failure, etc. they WILL be paying unemployment for all those people which will be a big financial hit.  They are the ones that are scared.  Why do you think there are so many "suit" posts on this board trying to discourage this organized demonstration?  As far as MTSOs and ICs go, ICs are on the ...

Are There Any MTSOs That Let You Work PRN (sm)
Jun 13, 2012

on a part-time basis?  I like where I work, but sometimes run out of work for a couple hours and it would be nice to be able to have a backup MTSO where I could work p.r.n.  I have thought about a part-time gig, but when my account gets real busy then I wouldn't be able to handle the part-time job.  Any suggestions? ...

Do You Think MTSOs/hospitals Keep An MT
Jul 23, 2012

I've been applying and applying for every in house MT job that comes along in my area.  I have the skills, I have the experience, and all that.  Even for jobs where I would have been a perfect fit, I'm always passed over.   Although I'm applying for in house, I realize that many of them also have outside vendors for overflow, or did in the past, and are transitioning back to in house.  For quite some time, I've had a suspicion that one bad-apple ...

Yep MTSOs Are Presemt
Aug 27, 2012

Yep MTSOs are on board and reading..  Since we are at it, how about a decent wage?  Other than 7 cpl?  Of course, if you pass IMPOSSIBLE QA and keep yoiur mouth shut "like a good ittle girl" then we might pay 7.5"  I have stooped to these MTSOs and their DEMANDS - the "book" is just that.  We have MTSO's who are subcontractors  -- several other services on  board.  I have been in this business for 30+ years.  When I started from home, it was on c ...

MTSOs That Use Infraware
Oct 05, 2012

Which MTSOs use infraware? ...

Will SOP To Bankrupt MTSOs?
Oct 16, 2012

From what I am hearing about the financial difficulties and downsizing of many MTSOs, I suspect that their SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) are going to bankrupt them. Will we go back to ICs working directly for the doctors/facility? Isn't it a matter of downloading a free platform or utilizing a server for MTs that encrypts? Here is where the MTSO are losing money: Clients not informed of horrid sound quality, taking the MTs a lot of extra time to decipher. Doctors are not trai ...

To MTSOs, What Does The Future Look Like To You? Sm
Apr 16, 2013

Wondering what you small MTSO companies have lined up for the future?  We have discussed what MTs are possibly switching to in the near future and now I wonder if all of these small MTSO companies that might be making a good living now have a backup plan for when it all dries up?  ...

Venting About MTSOs
May 17, 2013

I'm looking for things I can take to a pawn shop to hock today in an effort to pay my electric bill before shut off so I can keep working. I'm forced into bankruptcy and ask risk of losing my home due to the miniscule illegal wages we are paid for editing. The MTSO has not even responded to my last questions about account preferences, and notification of a technical error in the software, yet has the nerve to send me a snarky email bitching about my 100% accurate report for a mistake ...

Re: Complaints About MTSOs
Jun 30, 2013

"complete power corrupts completely" these companies have complete power over us and we [as a whole] have given it to them.   there are lessons to be learned to all in healthcare from what happened to MT.   ...

So The MTSOs Come Here And Read???
Aug 08, 2013

After more than 25 years in this business, I am getting the heck out!  I don't mind working hard.  I do very well on audits.  I am reliable.  I have made more than $40,000 a year until now, and did not even have to work 8 hours to do it.  I have worked over-time when needed.  I have loved doing this - until now. What this profession has turned into is a crying shame,  competitiveness, greed, and pettiness.  Are MT schools actually still taking p ...

American MTSOs?
Jul 23, 2014

Okay, so are there ANY companies that are actually owned by Americans who live in America?  Everyone says they are only hiring from within the U.S., but that doesn't mean the owners are American.  Someone here said one company (Diskriter?) was purchased by "an Indian couple." Why wasn't it purchased by an American couple? Why aren't Americans buying MTSOs? What's up with that? ...

Here Is What MTSOs Make:
Oct 24, 2014

Dictation time:  15 minutes @ $1.50/min 24-hour turnaround: Add $1.50/min Total cost for a 15 minute dictation: $45.00 I ask you this, how much do you make transcribing a 15 minute dictation? Totally blows, huh? ...