A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Planning to work at night. Suggestions needed - Praja

Posted: May 17, 2012

I am new here. I am on my way to apply for my first job...I graduated with Career Step with honors. I am planning to work part-time may 5 hours at night from 9:00 pm to 2:00 am, 7 days a week, which will make me work for 35 hours a week. Does any one knows of companies giving such flexibilty. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I am open to both Employee or IC status.Smile

Thanks.

nights - INMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Kudo's to you for graduating and being ready to enter the work force. There are a few things to consider in what you what/hope for.

If you work for a company as a full time employee I believe most state laws do not allow you to work 7 days a week. 35 hours to most companies, I believe is under their 40 Full time requirement so you might be considered part time and that requirement is usually 20 hours in 5 days. My experience is you work your 20, IF there is enough work for full time and more left over you are okayed to work more than 20, but management has to OK this usually.

As far as going IC, that will probably be something to discuss with that company or individual.

As far as working 7 days a week, SO DOWN. Burn out will occur YESTERDAY. Read these boards, all of them. We all get burned out, ask for help from one another to continue to be motivated long enough to just get the minimum lines/hours a day in.

I am happy to see you charged up and ready to work but please dont overdo at first, it will bite you back fast.

If this will be a second job or after the kids are asleep believe me 7 days a week is more than you will be able to handle. Wishes and dreams can come true and for me this profession has been wonderful. It has its ups and downs but I work IC privately and have also worked for the big boys and all in all it is great. You have to find your place in the whole picture and once you do, dig your feet in and understand that each place has bad and good to offer and it is usually how you take it all in as to how good you feel each day when you take off the headphones.

Good luck in all you do. Hope the very best for you.

INMT has some good info; however, I work some hours - 7 days a week because I find it

[ In Reply To ..]
easier than 8 hours a day. I also work an off shift, so it leaves me a good part of the "day" for myself. The trick for me is keeping to my sleep schedule.

Nuance pays benefits, including health insurance, at 35 hours, although those employees are considered part time and I don't know what, if anything, that designation might disqualify those employees from. Overtime pay starts after 40 hours are put in, as for everyone else.

Since most companies have trouble keeping swing and graveyard well staffed, I suspect a skilled MT would be able to find a position that fits your requirements fairly quickly. Hope you do also. Good luck.

You'd be better off looking for an IC position because you have - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
more flexibility with your schedule. Plus I have seen several companies offer ICs a window of 12 hours to get their work done. I work for a company now like that and I love it. I work second shift but I have anywhere from 3 p.m. to 3 a.m. to get in my agreed upon lines. It's really nice for times when my daughter has a softball game that I'd like to be at, I can just flex a couple of hours in there which is nice because I love 2nd shift, but as an employee I missed my daughter's games and other activities. So I took a day position and suffered so badly because my circadian rhythm is such that I feel at my best in the late afternoon and early evening hours. When I came upon this job, I was so happy because it seemed to me the best of both worlds so to speak.

Good luck in your hunt!

Similar Messages:

Doctor Locator-Suggestions Needed!
Sep 09, 2010

My old computer crashed and along with it my favorite internet sites.  I am not sure if losing mind or not but I cannot seem to find any  of the sites I used to use  for identifying/locating doctors.   Please help!  Thanks for any suggestion!  ...

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED! Got A New Computer And Old Medical Dictionary Is Not Compatible So I Am Buying A
Apr 21, 2010

nm ...

Moving To No Mans Land Aka Paradise.. Internet Options Suggestions Needed!
Oct 21, 2010

I am only able to find a privately owned local phone company in this small town to offer Internet, through the phone, requires a landline (which I really did not need). Pricing: $100.  For 750 min long distance, call waiting, caller ID, DSL - 3MB.  VERY expensive just for internet and phone line!Insane...ALL calls ANYWHERE except within just two small communities within 5 miles of our new house are long distance!  So, we will be using our cell phones for all calls. There are no ot ...

Pt Was Given Enema To Use The Night Before And *SIH-VA-CLEANSE* To Wash With The Night Before????
Feb 12, 2011

Sippacleanse? Sivacleanse? Supercleanse? I have searched and searched...thanks in advance!!! Not usually on OB/GYN... ...

Lack Of Planning
Dec 12, 2013

You know that saying - A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine? Perfect picture of the North region this week. Apparently we were supposed to be upgraded to the newest version of Fluency except that due to the spectacular communication in the company no one received that information, including installation instructions and now there is a scramble to get everyone upgraded. Do I have all the tools to do my job? No. ...

Planning To Quit Soon
Jan 03, 2014

I'm finally ready to quit now that I can finally get healthcare--the only reason I've accepted more than 40% paycuts and now the cut in PTO when the PC can't go any lower.  I've been in different versions of MM for 13 years now and used to be happy.  Can anyone tell me the protocol (who do I contact--TL/HR?, E-mail/phone?) and will I be fired on the spot or can I give 2 weeks notice which is professional? I'm not leaving under bad circumstances.  Wha ...

Planning On Purchasing A Set Of New Headphones
Oct 19, 2010

I am planning on purchasing a set of new headphones and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what's best.  I have only used Sony or Panasonic (probably cheap) in the past but I am having trouble sorting out the white noise.  Can anyone tell me your experience?  They can get pretty pricey but I am willing to pay for quality and clarity.  Thanks Much.  ...

Capitalization - Family Planning Clinic ?
Oct 14, 2010

In a medical transcription report is "family planning clinic" capalized? Thanxs ...

Code Status And "pulse" Planning
Mar 31, 2014

he says code status, etc. and pulse planning.  what is pulse planning? ...

Anyone Planning On Actually Participating In MT Week Next Week?
May 14, 2014

. ...

Ever Had One Of Those Night?
Aug 18, 2010

Tonight was one of those nights.  Computer problems:  I did a report, my first report at that, and it froze up on me.  Waited for it to just go on its own like it normally does when that happens and it never happened.  I finally said screw it I'm just gonna type it over.  Well it was locked, by me of course, and I don't even know if I'm going to get paid for it.  Then when I'm finished with that ordeal - NJA!!!!!  Great!!!!  No wo ...

Another Night Of The
Dec 05, 2012

dictations...why am I always stuck with the worst speakers out there.  I know there are good ones on this account, but D....when I am taking 20 minutes to edit a 5 minute piece of crap there is a problem with that!!! ...

Third Night In A Row With NJA In North. Nm
Feb 16, 2010

nm ...

You Know The MT Field Is Bad When Even The Fly-by-night...
Mar 26, 2010

You know the MT field is bad when even the fly-by-night "work-at-home" make $20 an hour companies don't even advertise for MT anymore.  My husband has been job hunting and we've been checking the online job search engines daily.  I haven't seen one single ad like we used to see on the matchbook covers.  Now they have a different scheme.  It's all work at home in call centers and make $20 an hour.      ...

Night Jasmine
Jun 02, 2010

At the risk of more of your wrath, I need to clarify that I do get dressed (usually jeans and a T-shirt or sweatshirt in the winter) -- I just do not get dressed up like I did for the office.  Thank you for your suggestions, but my home, family committments, and budget do not allow a lot of shopping and lunching.   ...

Why All The Night Work?
Aug 13, 2010

I have been watching these posts for a while now about everybody switching to nights and weekends and having no work.  Why the big push for everyone to change to nights and weekends?  I have worked in acute care for a long time and granted some of the dictation comes in in the evenings, but graveyard -- not so much.  It would seem that there would be enough people WANTING to work evenings and weekends for various reasons -- work around a spouse's job, children's schedule ...

Night Differential
Mar 26, 2011

The current extra for a report, for the night differential is .0900 per my understanding - can someone tell me what it was before the most recent change (approx. 2 mos ago or so)? Thanks   ...

My Big Laugh For The Night
Mar 29, 2012

ESL doctor:  "The patient lives on farm.  He milks the cows, horses, mules and chickens." Chickens are mammals?  All this time those wings and feathers had me fooled, but then again, they never could fly to prove it...  This is the same guy who once said a patient worked driving a "lift-fork" and another one of his patients was "stung by a black widow recluse spider."  And to think, this man makes 5-10 times what I do... ouch... if only someone had told me as a teena ...

My Son Called Me Last Night
Jul 09, 2012

coming to a Holiday Inn where he lives. He said they advertised "Medical Transcription jobs - earn $40,000 a year!"  He thought I could use a good laugh. Thanks, son. ...

I Posted Last Night About New Job
Jul 19, 2012

First of all, I apologize for coming across as "gloating."  I really didn't mean to do that.  I have been working sporadically since February, for a few of the companies that have been mentionned on the company board, and i have posted my experiences with them, U-Scribe being one, Inscribe being one and Mediscribes being another to name a few examples.   I am technically "homeless, having lived in a motel since I relocated, but thanks to friends and family, I h ...

Another Night Of Dictation
Dec 19, 2012

and i'm getting paid what again for this.  I really despise that it is taking 20+ minutes to EDIT this POS 1.34 minute dictation all b/c the dr has not learned how to speak and I have a Q full of his crap work.  Such a shame I can't get paid more for each speaker that is difficult...oh what am I saying, I am lucky to get paid at all for doing the dictation.  After all, half the work that I do, I am doing for free.  Ugh i had to vent my frustration!! ...

Night Shift
Jul 03, 2013

I have a question for anyone working night shift. if you work from 11 pm on Tues to 7 am Wed, does that time count for tues or wed. Thanks. ...

This Is A First. Work All Night.
Nov 28, 2014

I have always NJA on Thanksgiving. I have had a full shift of work. ...

ILP Vs US Coverage At Night
Mar 03, 2015

A week or 2 back someone asked what the HDS/SHDA coverage was during the night in reply to a post about coverage during the daytime.  if still curious here are the approximate numbers from midnight.  ILP workers:  1500 US workers:  186 From that last post, during the day it was:  ILP workers:  1095 US workers:  837 ...

I Seriously Had A Dream Last Night
Apr 09, 2015

emptying trash cans in a large factory or hell or somewhere with winding corridors and endless rooms, and was actually sad this morning when I woke up and it wasn't true.  My life is pathetic. ...

'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
Dec 01, 2009

I am looking for the poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas" for transcriptionists . Does anyone have this? ...

Medication S/l Clorazepin...100 Mg 1 In Am 4 At Night....
Feb 04, 2010

No 100 mg dosing under clorazepam, definite "in" or "ine" at the end of medication.... ...

Night Schedule Sleeping
Apr 18, 2010

Just started a new job (this will be my second full week) and I am working Sun-Thurs 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.   I actually have work all night and no NJA screen popping up.  My problem is I start to fad about 4 hours in and hard to stay awake.  Anyone working this shift or 11-7 or whatever, when did you sleep?  I go right to be at 6 a.m. and can sleep about 6 hours (that is about all I slept when I worked the day shift and had no problem).  I have tried taking a nap before ...

Night Timers, You Are My Idols . . . .
May 05, 2010

dear night timers --  i normally work days, but just wanted to let you know that after filling in for a couple of shifts working nights that I appreciate you guys now more than ever.  I do not know how you do it day in/day out (or is that night in/night out?)  Anyway, I just wanted you all to know that I have a new appreciation for the night timers who work thru the night.   It was an eye opener and it was actually nice to walk in someone else's shoes for once! ...

Late Night MT Amusing Myself
May 10, 2010

I wonder if any other late night MTs find things are sometimes really amusing...I know that it helps me to stay awake sometimes. I just had a medication list, but it seems that this patient got stuck at the beginning of the alphabet.  The patient's seven medications were:  Adderall, albuterol, Advair, Ambien, amantadine, Amaryl and Adalat. Makes me wonder if they going to start on the "B" medications next. lol What do some of the other late night MTs here do to help themselves ...