A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Paid for Testing - Know the Routine

Posted: Dec 30, 2010

This was posted on the wrong board, but somebody suggested MTs get paid for testing.  Well it certainly would put a stop to MTs being used.  I think the point about being paid for testing is well taken. The game goes like this. The MTSO does not have the account they are bidding on. They need warm bodies to fill the chairs. They don't tell you this. You spend your time and energy taking a test for an account that does not exist and your results and resumes get placed in a file for when and if they get the account. So, think about it. I call this being used.

Paid for testing - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Any testing I have done was done voluntarily. If you don't want to test and think you are being used, then refuse to do so. If you need a job, you will take a test. Having test results and resumes on file is not a bad thing, those people are the first to be contacted when something does open up. Being paid to apply and test for a job is a stupid notion. No one does it and no one ever will unless their integrity is questionable.

To Anonymous - A Real Person

[ In Reply To ..]
I am from another generation than you, so obviously you cannot possibly have seen or experienced such as I have. Back in my day, people were valued. I was paid for testing and interviewing with IBM, Ford, Lockheed, et al. Unfortunately, it is an employers' market these days and people are just little pawns to be used and discarded at will. There is a difference between questioning ones integrity and ones self-worth. Something to think about. We have pets who will do tricks for a pat on the head.

what generation - i am old too

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband worked for Lockheed, IBM, Sperry and never once was he paid to interview or test for a company.

I have 40 years in the work force in varying capacities and have never been paid to test or interview.

I hold an advanced degree and the thought of telling a prospective employer I expect to be paid for them to consider hiring me is simply absurd.

Given the cost already incurred by companies during the hiring process and stir in the economic climate, your comments just make no sense.

You condescending and name calling enforces thoughts expressed below regarding elitist MTs, IMHO.
Oldie here, too, and never ever paid to apply and test. - Good Grief.
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been in the workforce for over 40 years also. In other fields headhunters trying to woo me off to new employers were so common as to be tiresome, but the most I ever got out of it was a lunch or two. No one ever offered to pay me to apply or test.

The whole thing is an absurd idea guaranteed to lead to failure--unless the real goal is to avoid returning to work.

Also absurd and dangerously misleading to younger or just more gullible people are the messages about how wonderful employers were in the past and how terrible now. They were pretty much the same then as now. It's a business arrangement all about money, no matter how friendly it may sometimes be on the surface.

As some good advice much older than I am goes: To get a good job, treat the process itself as a job. And I'll add, suck it up as you do so because it will require some work.

what generation and where? in late 50s and was NEVER paid for testing. (sm) - we are all real here, honey.

[ In Reply To ..]
if there was such a thing, there would be people making a living out of it (like taking surveys, entering contests, etc.), and selling the "How To Make a Million in Your Jammies" by way of some midnight madness infomercial.

eh?

To A real person - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I am probably older than you are as I've been an MT for 35 years and entered the work force when I was 20, so you do the math. My employers over the years have treated me well and I was (and am valued). To my knowledge, it's always been an employer's market. We work for them, not the other way around. I am glad others here share me opinion.
Actually, it was an employee's market for the first - Anon.
[ In Reply To ..]
several years I was doing this, until recently. That meant I always knew I could get a new job the very same day if I wanted one, but, of course, not that they'd pay me to test.

wacky tobacky - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Did I miss the memo that made MT some sort of elite profession that makes us immune to the rules of NORMAL hiring processes?

Any MT who thinks he/she should be paid to test for a company is simply delusional. You're a TYPIST with a grasp of A&P. You're NOT a rocket scientist, you're not a PA, a nurse, a doctor, or any other thing. You're a TYPIST with a specialized knowledge (often just a vocabulary list in some instances, not even KNOWING how to converse re A&P intelligently).

I'm just AMAZED at the delusions of grandeur some of you have. It's just crazy.

I can just see offshore MTs reading stuff like this and rubbing their hands together thinking, yup, go ahead and make my day. Geesh.

Amen - rejoyce

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you 100%. Lot's of thinking pretty highly of themselves here. I'm just getting in the business and I don't think I will be coming around here much. I don't need the negativity.

I cannot imagine a company paying anyone to test. However, what I wish (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
that they do is give a range of expected pay for the position that is available. With most careers you have an idea of what the pay is, nursing, teaching, etc. However, in this industry the pay can literally go from one extreme to the other, such as a 6 cpl that I saw posted yesterday and then there are other people on this board who claim that they are making 10 and 11 cpl.
If they're interested in you, most will give a - you an idea, but you need to keep in mind
[ In Reply To ..]
it'd be as the first move in a negotiating process. I loved a recruiter who once, evidently determined to hire fast, called back on my resume and flat offered me a job and named a rate good enough to interest me. All in the first brisk sentence. I countered with another, she came back a half cent lower, and we were good. No testing, I was just hired. But that was rare even in those days, which is why I'm smiling as I remember my favorite hire of all time.

I would never expect to be paid to test - MTKnitter

[ In Reply To ..]
and I never have! I treat testing as it was part of the application process. It would be ridiculous to think that we would be paid to test! That would be like expecting to get pain when you go on a job interview.

If MTSO had to pay every applicant that tested, that wouldn't leave a lot left over to pay for out lines.

Paid for testing? Yeah right...sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That would be nice. But if potential employers had to pay us to test, then every job would have to pay every applicant to apply there too. May as well ask for mileage reimbursement from the job center or any place you have to drive to to fill out an application. If people apply there only for the money, and not the job itself, well then it's a wonder why UE is so bad. (a friend's opinion, not mine). It would be nice to be paid to test though, or else send all that free labor overseas.

Just curious - oldermt2

[ In Reply To ..]
How is it you guys feel you're giving away free labor? You're not transcribing current patient records.

How else would you recommend an employer figure out if your walk matches your talk? While a resume can be helpful, it can also be pure BS and sometimes is. I hire MTs and there's no way I'd hire someone based on a resume alone unless it came with a trusted colleague's significant endorsement.

MTs tested - m2

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, very good post indeed. Nice to see a positive attitude.

You can talk the talk, but if you cannot walk the walk.....that service is in jeopardy of losing the account if inferior work is turned in or incur enormous QA costs. It is very expensive to hire and train MTs even experienced ones depending on the account specifics.

Also, for every position listed, you can receive several thousand responses.

Similar Messages:

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Testing For MQ
Nov 20, 2009

It is truly laughable that MQ expects US MTs to jump through hoops, passing their tests, audits, trying to decipher absolute garbage and paying us like we were 6 month trainees, etc., and then have the audacity to send work to India.  I hope MQ gets its due for all the grief they have caused and their role in the demise of this industry!  If Verizon were to put them out of business, that would definitely be what they deserve. ...

FN Testing/ESL?
Dec 21, 2009

Does anyone work for FutureNet ?? Or worked there in the past on ESL accounts? How was the test?  How are the ESL accounts? Incredibly awful dictators??Thanks! ...

When Testing ....
Mar 17, 2010

How are you supposed to know whether to put the headings and text on the same line or put the text on the line under the heading, put a colon after heading or not put a colon?  They said they go by BOS, but all I see pertaining to that in the BOS is the sample reports where they put the text under the heading with no colons after the heading.  I guess I'll just do it that way.  ...

Lab Testing
Jun 23, 2010

Doctor says her MELD score is 29.  Her s/l madrete???? discriminant function is 85. ...

Osi Testing
Aug 24, 2010

Has anyone ever tested for OSI - I hear it is quite lengthy and indepth - almost more indepth than the CMT test - anyone know from experience ? ...

Testing At ROI
Mar 21, 2011

Has anyone ever taken the test with ROI? and if so, did you pass? WOW what a test! Does anyone else feel the same way? ...

Testing For A Job
Nov 29, 2011

Just wondering, in general, if there is a limit to take a transcription test for a company?  How long are you given to take the test? ...

MME Testing
Jan 14, 2013

Someone told me about testing for MME, but I can't find any info on portal or elsewhere.  Any information about that out there?  Thank you. ...

Testing?
May 03, 2013

What is the purpose of being asked to go into Enrich and take quizzes?  What are they trying to do here?  ...

Testing!!!
Jul 18, 2013

I am hoping someone can help me out with this question. I am a single mother with a 3 and 6 year old. I recently resigned from my job due to management. I also got accepted to school that starts in Aug. I have done medical transcription for over 4 years, but currently not the last two years. I was working for a corporation and management there were all for sabotaging people. Since I have left my job, I knew that I could always come back to transcribing. I am taking tests to only find out, I didn ...

Testing For A MT Job
Feb 07, 2014

How many of you think that testing to get an MT job absolutely ridiculous? When you apply to these so-called medical transcription companies, you send them your resume which I am sure highlights not only your experience, but also your education that you paid good money for and worked hard to obtain.  Yet, they still make you take a test.  Have you realized that the tests are designed for you to fail?    Your whole future is based on one test. Your experience and you ...

Testing For CCS
Feb 19, 2014

Hello, I am a former MT hoping to transition over into medical coding. I have been unemployed since 01/2014. I'm looking for someone that can help me out. I've researched AHIMAs website about the requirements for obtaining the CCS certification. My question is: Can I apply and take the CCS exam during my final class in coding? I have applied for my medical coding certificate and will complete class in 3 months. The website states the requirements are (completed) coursework or work e ...

Job Testing
May 27, 2015

Hi,  I have been with the same company since I started this type of work but need to go elsewhere now.  I have no idea what to expect with testing.  Can someone tell me what it's like?  TY  (I am nervous!) ...

TESTING
Jun 05, 2015

Why are the tests for some of these companies awful?  Pitiful platform, unable to use foot pedal, etc.  By the time you get the dang thing figured out your time is up.  I am just frustrated with the entire process......  I am going to apply at Wal-Mart! ...

Will We Be Paid For This?
May 12, 2010

When we run out of jobs we get paid min wage.  Do you think we will get that for this.  I don't want to have to make up a whole day's worth of hours or use my PTO for this. ...

Not Paid
Jul 13, 2010

How do you get someone to pay you that has not paid you?  Getting really aggravated about this and don't know what to do.  I have been given every excuse in the book!  ...

Am I Getting Paid Enough?
Jul 16, 2010

I've been working with my company for almost a year now and i'm wondering if I should start looking around at other compaines. I graduated from M-Tec last summer and got a job about a month later, they started me at 0.055 cpl, then in December bumped me up to 0.06 cpl. Since then I have been getting paid the same, while working a lot more. I just want to know if this is good and I should just stick with it, or look somewhere else. Any advice is appreciated! ...

Help? I/we Cannot Get Paid.
Sep 13, 2010

I could really use some advice. I worked for a company for 6 months and then quit when accounts were being lost.  I am owed over $3000.00 (I quit over 6 months ago). I know of 2 other ICs who worked for this company and the total owed to all of us is over $10,000. We have been given every excuse in the book. We have been told the company has gone out of business, that a AmerAssist loan was being sought in order to pay us, etc. We have contacted the Sheriff's Department in her state abo ...

I/we Cannot Get Paid. Help??
Sep 13, 2010

I could really use some advice. I worked for a company for 6 months and then quit when accounts were being lost.  I am owed over $3000.00 (I quit over 6 months ago). I know of 2 other ICs who worked for this company and the total owed to all of us is over $10,000. We have been given every excuse in the book. We have been told the company has gone out of business, that a AmerAssist loan was being sought in order to pay us, etc. We have contacted the Sheriff's Department in her state abo ...

How Do QA Get Paid?
Dec 19, 2010

Just curious... how are QA paid?  Some are paid by the line and others are paid by the hour.. is there any other way? ...

Not Getting Paid ...
Jan 22, 2011

I accepted a part-time job to supplement my regular MT income a few weeks ago from a girl who was advertising here on MTStars.  It's been great, fairly easy work and an excellent extra income.  I guess I should have known it was too good to be true. I was expecting payment last week but am told she can't pay me until she gets paid.  Now, who in their right mind would hire people to do their work when they can't pay on a specific date?  Why would you hire some ...

How We Get Paid...
Feb 25, 2011

Does anybody wonder why we don't get paid by the hour like other highly-skilled secretaries and editors?  This line business is a joke!  Why should we get penalized for the bad dictation?  Many years ago, we had a client with dictators from ****.  I called up the director of medical records and apologized for all the blanks.  She told me not to worry about it.  She said she had a box of pens on her desk and she made the doctors take a pen and fill in all t ...

Paid By TTD?
Oct 28, 2011

Has anyone gotten paid by TTD for the most recent pay date (the 25th of this month)?  This is my first paycheck from them and I have not received it yet.  Wondering how long it usually takes? ...

Paid Yet
Mar 29, 2012

Anyone who had not received their pay 03/23 who has received it today please post here.  It would be nice to hear when and if you got paid. ...

NOT BEING PAID
Jul 14, 2012

STAY AWAY FROM PRECISE MEDICAL AND MEDIGRAFIX THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU. ...

Really, We Should Get Paid When
Jul 23, 2013

. . . we have to retype the entire VR job because it is 99% WRONG. It seems like it is getting worse instead of better.  The last week practically every job has every fifth word right but the rest is wrong.  At some point it quits being voice recognition and is pure transcription.  Any time we have to fix more than 10% of any job = straight typing.  And they wonder why we HATE VR?  It was nothing more than a ploy to get 50% of the MTs pay. ...

Did Anyone Else Not Get Paid?
Aug 08, 2013

My paycheck always shows up in my bank on the internet effective pending the Friday before we get paid, not today! I even checked with bank personally, and they show no signs of it.  Has payroll changed things? I guess I will wait to see if it shows up in bank tmrw, but this is odd it's not showing yet. ...

When Did Getting Paid To Do Your Job
Sep 11, 2013

a reward. Their definition of a reward is completely different than mine. I earn my pay, it is not a reward. Stupid #@#$%$#@#. ...