A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

NPs and anyone else who cant pronounce drug names correctly - or common medical terms, LEARN HOW!!! sm

Posted: May 31, 2015

And it is   NOT  pronounced  "eerie-theemia" you stupid twit.    WTH did you go to school for if not to learn these things correctly. 

the same school - that teaches

[ In Reply To ..]
tenderness to palpitation and Neosporin drip

Arrg - workingforlivin

[ In Reply To ..]
Work for a NP who is an ORTHOPEDIC NP and dictates the ulnar, MEDIAL and radial nerves in the wrist...she insists it is medial and not median and will "correct" her reports to read medial whenever I transcribe median. If she were a gyn NP I could understand it but she is in orthopedics.

I find she can pronounce metoprolol correctly, - she went back and corrected herself SM

[ In Reply To ..]
after stumbling over it. Usually says metro-prolol, but then she did correct herself, so she knows how to say it properly, she's just a lazy piece of whatever.

Sometimes, I'd like to slap the face right off some of these people for their laziness and stupidity.

They stumble and bumble over drug names and terms, and I have to send in blanks on it because we can't risk guessing what they mean to say, then eventually we get chastized for "too many blanks."

Wonder why I get a bit cranky.

Or ortho-phar-nix - Drives me nuts

[ In Reply To ..]
X

nas-o-pharnix, too, drives me nuts - MT59

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Or ... - Lastnerve

[ In Reply To ..]
Or, "The patient has been counseled for smoking sensation." Grrr....
Another one... - DiggerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Medical "regime" grrrrr Many more that I can't think of at the moment!
Actually regime is NOT incorrect. sm - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
noun: (medicine) a systematic plan for therapy (often including diet). This comes from One Look dictionary site. Regimen is used more often but regime is not incorrect.
P.S. I have a few dictators who use regime. sm - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
and that is what they get. Have not lost any points either.
Ditto. It's a perfectly acceptable secondary meaning. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Regime is incorrect in the medical context, and here's why. - echomt
[ In Reply To ..]
Both words are drawn from the same root meaning basically a systematic plan or something to that effect. However, the difference between the words regimen and regime is that regime carries with it the implication or connotation of being backed by force of law whereas regimen does not carry that same connotation. This is why governments are more appropriately referred to as regimes rather than regimens. Since a treatment plan does not carry with it the force of law, the word regime is inappropriate in that context. Admittedly, the debate is considerable in both camps, but the connotation of being backed by force of law is the one variable that is overlooked by those who claim the two words are interchangeable and therefore tips the scale in favor of regimen where medical context is concerned.
force of law - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
With all due respect, any treatment plan in any medical record carries an inherent implication of liability, and is therefore most certainly backed by force of law, although perhaps not actual "force" per se, such as would be found in a military action. I otherwise agree that the two words are not interchangeable with regard to dictation and transcription, and that "regimen" is always more appropriate.
That's not what force of law means in this context. Patients are free to ignore - echomt
[ In Reply To ..]
any treatment plans or recommendations they receive from any healthcare provider. They are not compelled by law to be compliant with potential enforceability hanging over their heads except perhaps in cases of extreme psychiatric disorders, which is a completely different animal. A regime can force you to comply with its recommendations or throw you in jail or worse if you don't. A regimen carries no such force of law. If you don't want to follow your doctor's advice, you don't have to. That's what force of law means in this context. The inherent implication of liability you refer to applies to doctors and governs whether or not their advice is in line with current standard of care guidelines. Doctors are subject to force of law in terms of the treatment regimens they can offer, but the treatment regimens they outline to their patients are not enforceable. Patients can ignore them if they want without legal consequence.
Thank you! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Beautifully thorough explanation, thank you!
Regime/regimen - DiggerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
BOS III page 524: regime: a form of government. regimen: a system of treatment designed to achieve certain ends

This is what I go by.
My favorite - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
is normal Catholic for normocephalic.
words - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
epi-taxsis for epistaxis-drives me nuts.

Phen-a-gren and dyps-nea are the two I particularly - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
dislike.

I had a nurse practitioner - who just dictated

[ In Reply To ..]
"The patient hasn't had no Keppra for a week."
NP - gofigure
[ In Reply To ..]
And that NP makes 10 times more money than we do. What a world.

Similar Messages:

Do You Think We Should Guess At Drug Names?
Nov 05, 2010

Am I overly concerned or do you think I may have a point?  I think the Word Help Board is invaluable and have always helped whenever I 100% knew the correct spelling.  But as I have been reading the questions, there seem to be more and more drug questions from drug lists, which means no point of reference.  There are also a few “allergic to: sounds like” questions.  When I first started working as a Medical Transcriptionist, QA was always:  “Leave a b ...

Two Drug Names--Glorithalda And Legatren
Dec 06, 2010

Hi, I have two drugs that I just can't hear!  They sound like this: Glorithalda 25 mg. daily. Legatren p.m. one p.r.n. leg cramps. Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

BOS Rule For Drug Names In All Caps?
Mar 28, 2013

Does anyone know the BOS rule for drug names that are technically all caps, i.e., TUMS, GRALISE?  Do they stay all caps or is it okay to capitalize just the first letter, or is it company/client preference?  QA is telling me just to capitalize the first letter so as not to draw more attention than needed to the drug name in the report, but I can't document this in the Book of Style.  Thanks in advance! ...

New Rule For MDs: If You Cannot Pronounce It, You Cannot Prescribe It, Nor --
Jan 28, 2010

-- can you treat it.  Certainly, you can't get paid for doing anything with it.  So, study up, doc. ...

How Do You Pronounce This Word Dobbhoff?
Feb 08, 2012

How do you pronounce this word Dobbhoff? ...

How Do You Pronounce The Word Ethibond?
Feb 16, 2012

How do you pronounce the word Ethibond? ...

DQS Does Not Seem To Be Working Correctly.
Dec 04, 2009

Not sure why is it not working and I cant get into DQM. ...

Do I Have This Transcribed Correctly?
Feb 09, 2010

I transcribed D5.45 normal saline.  Is D5.45 correct, or how would you transcribe it? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If I Have This Transcribed Correctly
Feb 10, 2010

I am not familiar with the terminology and I want to make sure I have this transcribed correctly.  This is what I have, "CT of the head shows an old posterotemporal, intraparietal, and right occipital cerebrovascular accident."   Is this correct? ...

Would Like To Know If I Am Typing This Correctly SM
Mar 14, 2010

Dictated:  ....recently diagnosed with 1p minus and 4q minus deletions. Transcribed:  ...recently diagnosed with 1p- and 4q- deletions. ...

Is This Correctly Transcribed
Apr 17, 2010

Cholesterol profile:  Total cholesterol 182, LDL 120, HDL 82, triglycerides 75. ...

Is This Punctuated Correctly?
Aug 05, 2010

history of stage IIIA, T4, N2, M0, non-small-cell lung cancer.     ...

How To Write Something Correctly
Sep 02, 2010

Dictated as "a year and a half ago." Do I type it as such or do I change to 1-1/2 years ago?? Thanks for your help! ...

They Are Calculating OT Correctly
Sep 21, 2012

Heard back from the Department of Labor who verified that OT is calculated correctly.  Per the client library, FAQ June 2012, it is calculated as an hourly rate and then we are paid 50% of that.  They recalculate this every pay period based on how many lines we did, divided by 80.  Just updating everyone.  ...

Please Oh Please Spell Your Kid's Name CORRECTLY!
Aug 11, 2013

Anybody else work for a Peds clinic and get driven CRAZY due to the odd spelling of all of these kid names these days?  It seems like almost every single time, I spell the name wrong and when I check for correction on my list, I always have to change it, which I cannot do until the END of the report!  I am so tired of these names:  Jennipher, Ryleigh, Austen, Allysin, Emilee.  I mean, what was wrong with Jennifer, Riley, Austin, Allison and Emily?  Why did we have to cha ...

Is There Anybody Out There Who Still Knows How To Use Punctuation Correctly?
Feb 21, 2014

I don't want to be too harsh, but some people need to go back to English class. All I do all day long is correct really, really basic, childish, stupid punctuation mistakes. Granted, most of them really don't make a different in the meaning of the sentence, but how would you feel if you were the one reading your medical report and it looked like crap or maybe faulty punctuation did change the meaning of what was in your report? Some representative examples I see all the time: S ...

How Would This Sentence Sound Correctly?
Oct 13, 2009

Dr says:   He did have, while after a long day of hiking at Philmont, he had decided to stretch himself out and had jumped up and was holding a bar or treetrunk with his feet off the ground, he then developed lightheadedness and a loss of consiousness. I am having brain block.. and nothing looks right. After a long day of hiking at Philmont, he had decided to stretch himself out and had jumped up, and was holding a bar or tree trunk with this feet off the ground. He then dev ...

How Do You Correctly Transcribe MmHg?
Mar 17, 2010

When transcribing mm of mercury is it mm/Hg or mmHg? Thanks ...

How To Write Time Correctly
Sep 02, 2010

Dictated as "a year and a half ago".  How do I write this correctly??   Thanks for your help!! ...

Typing Measurements Correctly
Oct 01, 2010

If the doc does not dictate .0 after measurements, is it correc to type it anyway?  i.e. 11.0 x 12.0 x 1.2 cm    or 11 x 12 x 1.2 cm? ...

Copay Or Co-pay.. How To Spell It Correctly
Apr 07, 2011

q ...

L4-L5-S1 Infusion? Is This Typed Correctly?
Sep 29, 2011

Dr. says the patient underwent an L4-L5-S1 infusion. Or is it fusion? Also not sure if the L4 through S1 is typed correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

When You Pronounce "AHIMA," Is It...
Jul 29, 2013

s/l "AHEEMA," or do you just say "A-H-I-M-A," as in each letter individually. I've never had to refer to the organization verbally, only in writing once before, so I don't want to sound like an idiot if I refer to it as "AHEEMA." Thank you for your assistance...and for not making fun of me. ...

Is This Punctuated Correctly And Does It Make Sense?
Nov 25, 2009

MRI scan does show a tear of the medial meniscus, a partial detachment of the meniscal femoral ligament, a lateral meniscus tear, posterior horn complete anterior cruciate ligament tear, and some impaction fractures in the lateral femoral condyle, the lateral tibial plateau, and on the articular surface of the patella, and hemarthrosis in the knee.   tia. ...

Foot Pedal Not Working Correctly
Oct 31, 2011

My foot pedal is driving me crazy.  It stops and won't start back until for a few minutes.  NOw I can only get it to work from DQS at the top where it shows the stop, forward, backwards area.  I have to press the > arrow to get it to take off with the dictation but when I want to stop it then I just hit my pedal but then it will not come back on until I press the > arrow at the top again.  DRiving me crazy.  I can't work like this.  GOt a ticket in w ...

Can You Get Unemployment If You Quit Your Job For Not Being Paid Correctly
Jan 27, 2012

Can you get unemployment if you quit your job for not being paid correctly (shorted lines, bonus, etc.)? ...

ASR Not Recognizing A Word Correctly - Hot News!
Jan 17, 2013

Every couple of days I get an e-mail from my supervisor that ASR is not recognizing a particular word correctly. Really????? I wish I had the time to send an e-mail to the supervisor each time ASR doesn't recognize a word correctly - maybe 1000 times a day?????Another "don't know if I should laugh or cry" moment.... ...

Vapor Wand? Is It Capped? Is It Spelled Correctly? Thanks.
Jan 04, 2010

XX ...

Ciprodex HC? I Didn't Find That In My Book...written Correctly??
Oct 01, 2010

Thanks. ...

This Is What I Hear; How Do I Type It Correctly? CV; S1 And S2 Normal Rate And Rhythm.
Aug 09, 2013

nm.  Thanks. ...