A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical insurance coverage is too costly. - Is it me?

Posted: Jan 24, 2010

My new job has told me I am now eligible for insurance.  However, it is 227.00 per paycheck.  My last job in May, I paid 58.00 per paycheck.  Am wondering if they are charging me due to past diagnosis of early stage cancer or if this is what everyone is paying these days. 

Thank you.

What I pay for an - Individual Policy

[ In Reply To ..]

$525 a month which includes medical, dental, vision, and a small life rider.  My only "pre-existings" are BP and thyroid, I don't smoke, age 45.  This was the least expensive for decent coverage I could find.  This is for an individual policy, not through an employer. 

I don't know how long I will be able to continue it.  What keeps me paying is the thought of the expense of an injury or illness, in addition to the type of care I would likely receive as an uninsured.

A tidbit - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, that is quite a jump. but insurance is high. I pay almost $400 a month for individual policy separate from my job. When I considered saving a bunch of money (about 1/2 of that) and taking job's group insurance, with same insurance company even, but I was told by my agent that if I were to develop a chronic or serious illness, and loose coverage through the job, that the insurance company does not have to accept me back on private insurance. Where a group policy has to accept you, a private policy/company does not. Scary. So I opted to pay much more and keep my private policy.

Another option - MT in PA

[ In Reply To ..]
would be to get a High Deductable Insurance Plan. My family and I just signed up for one, as my employer's was too expensive and not really accepted where I live anyway, so we opted for private insurance. We only pay $225/month for 3 family members and have a $5,000 family deductible, which is high (hence the name) but at least we have something if anything happens. It also let us open an HSA acount, so we can save some money each month and deposit it in there in case any big medical expense pops up. This has prescription in there also, but you have to meet the deductible before they pay for anything, although well child visits, immunizations, and one physical a year for adults is covered 100% no matter what. We are happy with this for now, although I suppose if you have a lot of chronic conditions, this may not be the right choice for you, but it is just another option.

What we pay - FlaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
We pay about $500/mo for HMO family coverage (and that's not including the $$ hubby's company chips in for his portion). Yeah, we could be paying less if we wanted to go with a PPO w/deductible but when you have 2 boys, the HMO just gives us a better piece of mind.

All these differ per state as well, right? NM - just askin

[ In Reply To ..]

Healthcare - Judy

[ In Reply To ..]
After having Cobra for 18 months after my position was eliminated, BCBS would not take me on a personal policy as I had lapband surgery done. Even though they had covered me for 8 years, paid for the surgery and all aftercare, they now refuse to cover me because I had this done. I no longer am diabetic and have high blood pressure - doesn't matter. One option is our State Comprehensive coverage which is $275 for a $10,000 deductible or $407 for a $5,000 deductible; the other is to get a temporary policy for $160 a month for a $1200 deductible, but it does not cover anything preexisting. So if my knee hurt and I went in and it is something that has been coming on for years (not an injury), they would not cover it. It is only good for six months, but they could renew it for six months longer. That's it. Since the surgery, I have never felt better, so am going to go with the temporary for now in hopes that Congress can put something together to help me.

Similar Messages:

E&O Insurance Coverage For IC MTs
Oct 17, 2009

Does anyone know anything about E&O insurance coverage for IC MTs and if it will be required by government in the year 2010?  A recruiter told me this morning that her company would require this coverage since the U.S. government will require ICs to have this coverage in February of 2010.  Did I understand her correctly?  If so, does anyone have any idea how much this would cost? ...

More Insurance Coverage Means
Jul 23, 2010

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I haven't been able to find a thread about it. If the health care reform means more Americans will be insured, then more Americans will be using doctor and hospital services, and there will be that much more transcription to do. Do you think this is right? Shouldn't there be a much bigger volume of transcription to be done, starting in a few years? ...

Want To Quit/insurance Coverage Q
Mar 12, 2014

Already checked with benefits and was told the paycheck covers the prior 2 weeks for insurance coverage.  If I quit does anyone know if my benefits are immediately stopped or if the company will finish out the month for insurance (or do I have to time it to allow $200 in pay for health, eyes, and dental to pay for the rest of the month)?  Really tired of this job and would like to quit by mid-April but before the 4/18 paycheck (which would cover 3/30 to 4/12) and the paycheck for the w ...

Family Insurance Coverage
Nov 07, 2014

Someone posted a message about a week ago that they were a single parent and could not afford the price of family coverage. Well, I am in the same boat. Family coverage with Nuance and most insurance companies I have checked out will cost me around 450.00 per month for just me and my son. But, I don't have to carry him under the same policy. If I take BCBSMA through Nuance and insure him under BCBSNC he is only 100.00 a month saving me around 250.00 dollars and month. I hope this helps ...

Supplemental Insurance Coverage Ends Aug 31
Aug 29, 2012

If you have the Critical Accident, Cancer, Short Term Disability, etc through Alpha Staff, it is ending August 31, I was told by a phone call to Alpha today. Have not heard anything from Colonial yet regarding a new policy. Just to let anyone know who cares. ...

Mental Health Insurance Coverage
Mar 10, 2014

If you would not mind sharing, I would please like to ask what type of insurance coverage you have for mental health, such as seeing a psychologist/therapist.  I live in Missouri and work in an office.  My son sees a therapist while away at school for depression and my insurance here will pay 80% - after a $650 deductible.  If you would not mind to share, I am interested in knowing if others have a similar insurance plan.  They say that mental health is not "healthcare," ...

I Need Info On Transtech And SoftScript Insurance (single Premium And Coverage).
Dec 06, 2010

nm ...

Medical Coverage Papers
Apr 24, 2013

I need to have my medical info in print, such as the ins and outs of my short term and long term disability and what the BCBS will pay and not pay.  Does anyone know where I can down load these at?  I know, dumb question, but I just cannot remember!  Any help would be appreciated! ...

Nuance Medical Coverage Question
Apr 24, 2013

If I go to work for Nuance and get Blcross/blshield through Mass. how does that work if I live in another state?  It's hard enough to find providers for my current BB insurance in my state living in a small town, usually have to travel to a larger city.  Will I use and pay for out of netwok providers?  I went to their website specific URL for Nuance but wanted me to log in.  Thanks.   ...

Nuance Medical And Dental - What Companies Do They Have Coverage With?
Oct 20, 2011

Thanks ...

CareerStep Is A Little Less Costly
Sep 15, 2012

but in my state, am not sure Unemp is going to pay for it because it is not located in my state.  There were colleges offering it where I could have gotten some financial assistance; however, some are not offering it this year.  Odd, because it seems in demand (?) but NYS Unemp is pushing their tech schools, only none offer distance learning. The one college that was offering evening classes, just stopped offering the medical reimbursement course. Just can't get exactly what i ne ...

TT Medical Insurance
Dec 03, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about whether we're keeping the old insurance or getting a new company?  Shouldn't we have already heard by now?  Getting concerned.  With all this new healthcare crap, I've heard some companies (not MT necessarily) are electing not to offer coverage. ...

TT New Medical Insurance (msg)
Jan 03, 2012

Does anyone know if it has taken effect yet?  I haven't heard anything since I filled out the enrollment forms and need to make a dr appt.  Was it supposed to be January 1?  ...

Medical Insurance?
May 01, 2013

I'm wondering what other ICs do for medical insurance, at least the ones without spouses to cover that for them. Private insurance? any recommendations? ...

Are We Still Getting Medical Insurance?
Sep 23, 2013

Are we still going to receive medical insurance benefits, or are we going to have to acquire out own? Does anyone have any information? Please advise. ...

For Those Of You With Medical Insurance ...
Dec 19, 2013

I just signed up for insurance this past open enrollment and our first payment will be deducted from the January 12 pay check.  But I have a question for those of you who already have insurance ... For those 2 months a year when there are *3* pay checks (in 2014 it will be May and October) how are the payments deducted ... do we actually make *3* equal insurance payments those months in the same amount - or still the same monthly payment, just divided by 3?  ...

Medical Insurance
Oct 30, 2014

I don't have medical insurance through my job or other source. Is it true that people without medical insurance will be fined? And if so, how come I haven't been notified? Will I get a "surprise" notification of a big fine later on? ...

Medical Insurance At Keystrokes
Sep 04, 2010

Does anybody know how long after hire that an MLS is eligible for medical insurance benefits at Keystrokes? Thanks in advance.  ...

TransTech Medical Insurance
Sep 29, 2010

Could someone please share what medical insurance company TransTech insures with?  Thanks. ...

How Much Is The Medical Insurance For One Person Or Two?
Nov 23, 2010

Could someone please tell me, how much is the medical insurance for one person or two?  Is there a choice between HMO and PPO?  Thank you. ...

I Want To Drop To PT But What Happens With The Medical Insurance? Sm
Aug 26, 2011

If I drop to part time at the beginning of Sep, how long is my medical insurance in effect?  Is it dropped immediately?  Thanks! ...

Medical Insurance Question
Apr 23, 2013

Can anyone tell me how much the medical insurance premium is for a single person? I was on sort of a public assistance/reduced cost medical program for me and my kids for the last couple of years, but now they want me to pay $170/month for just me. Apparently, my kids can be covered at a lower cost, but I can't afford the 170 bucks a month, so I'm going to have to take myself off the plan. I know I won't be able to get insurance w/ MM til next January, but just need to do a little ...

Insurance Medical Examiner Job
Mar 21, 2014

I just had an exam for life insurance where a young man came out and took my blood pressure by a battery operated digital device, drew blood and took a urine sample, weighed me, as well as asked questions which he filled out on a form.  It seemed like a pretty easy job overall, so I looked up the requirements through the company he works for, and apparently being a skilled pheblotomist, able to fill out paper work and access to a computer is all that was needed.  He did menti ...

Medical Insurance At Nuance
Jun 14, 2014

I'm currently working 24 hours a week @ MModal.  My husband's medical insurance has become too expensive, so am thinking about going to Nuance for 30 hours a week for benefits.  Could anyone tell me who the insurance carrier is and about what the deductible is?  Also, is there out of net wot coverage?  Thanks so much :) ...

Health Insurance For Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 28, 2009

I was wondering for all of you MTs who work full-time from home, what health insurance does your company provide you and your family with and how much do you pay out of pocket? I work for a company (will not mention the name) and pay $62 per pay period (for just me) which I didn't think was so bad - BUT i just found out I have a $3500 calender year deducible and will have to pay 35% of hospital fees if admitted (which I will be in 2010). So besides paying the $62 monthly, I will be paying $ ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Group Medical Insurance For Transcriptionists?
Aug 17, 2010

I was wondering if there is group insurance anywhere for those of us who do this full time without benefits?  It seems that with insurance companies and strength in numbers, something should be available.  Anyone have any information on or experience with this?  I am recently certified with a few years experience and am looking to quit my crappy full time job that I am working only for the insurance to do this full time, but am hitting a wall with the insurance dilemma. ...

Mini-Medical Insurance Policies
Apr 05, 2012

I've been doing a lot of research in the past few weeks and wonder if others have reached the same conclusions. My MTSO is offering a backup "mini-medical" (reduced benefits) plan for employees whose hours have been decreased due to lack of work.  When I resarched this kind of plan, this is what I learned. 1.  A typical major medical insurance plan:  Your insurance carrier recommends seeing in-network care providers.  The carrier has pre-negotiated rates with these pro ...

Are There Production Requirements For The New Medical Insurance?
Jun 05, 2012

I am thinking of going back to full time, but have doubts about making production quotas if there are any for the insurance. Crummy ASR plus, with the new account with straight typing, the accents are taking a toll on that production. Only consolation is QA wasn't able to fill in any of the 11 blanks in my last document, and that is typical with this account. ...

I Know! Instead Of Becoming Homeless, I'll Just Drop My Medical Insurance
Jul 03, 2013

At least I can be sick in a house instead of sick in a car. ...