A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

E&O insurance coverage for IC MTs - Janet

Posted: Oct 17, 2009

Does anyone know anything about E&O insurance coverage for IC MTs and if it will be required by government in the year 2010?  A recruiter told me this morning that her company would require this coverage since the U.S. government will require ICs to have this coverage in February of 2010.  Did I understand her correctly?  If so, does anyone have any idea how much this would cost?

More than we can afford - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd love to know what source the recruiter was referring to about IC's having E&O coverage. The bottom line, for me anyway, is don't ever work for a company that tries to tell you that you need to provide your own E&O coverage. I've posted about this before, so some of you may think I'm being a know-it-all, but I did used to sell insurance, so this is actually a familiar topic for me.

E&O insurance is to provide coverage for you in case something you do in the course of your work, either an error or an omission, causes harm to someone and they sue you. Yes, MTs can get this type of coverage - you can insure anything if you want - but it would be at least a minimum premium of about $1500 a year. I talked to my sister who works for an insurance brokerage about this, as the excess insurance market is her specialty.

Ultimately, though, the MT is not the final person on the report - the health care worker who is signing the report is. If there is an error or an omission of some sort, then any liability falls on the person who signs the report, not the person who typed it, whether the typist is an IC or not.

Any company that tries to snow me and tell me that I need to provide my own E&O coverage as an IC is not a company I will ever work for.

Similar Messages:

More Insurance Coverage Means
Jul 23, 2010

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I haven't been able to find a thread about it. If the health care reform means more Americans will be insured, then more Americans will be using doctor and hospital services, and there will be that much more transcription to do. Do you think this is right? Shouldn't there be a much bigger volume of transcription to be done, starting in a few years? ...

Want To Quit/insurance Coverage Q
Mar 12, 2014

Already checked with benefits and was told the paycheck covers the prior 2 weeks for insurance coverage.  If I quit does anyone know if my benefits are immediately stopped or if the company will finish out the month for insurance (or do I have to time it to allow $200 in pay for health, eyes, and dental to pay for the rest of the month)?  Really tired of this job and would like to quit by mid-April but before the 4/18 paycheck (which would cover 3/30 to 4/12) and the paycheck for the w ...

Family Insurance Coverage
Nov 07, 2014

Someone posted a message about a week ago that they were a single parent and could not afford the price of family coverage. Well, I am in the same boat. Family coverage with Nuance and most insurance companies I have checked out will cost me around 450.00 per month for just me and my son. But, I don't have to carry him under the same policy. If I take BCBSMA through Nuance and insure him under BCBSNC he is only 100.00 a month saving me around 250.00 dollars and month. I hope this helps ...

Medical Insurance Coverage Is Too Costly.
Jan 24, 2010

My new job has told me I am now eligible for insurance.  However, it is 227.00 per paycheck.  My last job in May, I paid 58.00 per paycheck.  Am wondering if they are charging me due to past diagnosis of early stage cancer or if this is what everyone is paying these days.    Thank you. ...

Supplemental Insurance Coverage Ends Aug 31
Aug 29, 2012

If you have the Critical Accident, Cancer, Short Term Disability, etc through Alpha Staff, it is ending August 31, I was told by a phone call to Alpha today. Have not heard anything from Colonial yet regarding a new policy. Just to let anyone know who cares. ...

Mental Health Insurance Coverage
Mar 10, 2014

If you would not mind sharing, I would please like to ask what type of insurance coverage you have for mental health, such as seeing a psychologist/therapist.  I live in Missouri and work in an office.  My son sees a therapist while away at school for depression and my insurance here will pay 80% - after a $650 deductible.  If you would not mind to share, I am interested in knowing if others have a similar insurance plan.  They say that mental health is not "healthcare," ...

I Need Info On Transtech And SoftScript Insurance (single Premium And Coverage).
Dec 06, 2010

nm ...

Rx Coverage?
Apr 27, 2010

Will someone who partakes of the medical benefits tell me how they are with Medquist?  About how much individual coverage is per month and, in particular, how is the prescription coverage?  I appreciate any information!      ...

OMG, All I Want To Do Is Decline Coverage
Nov 25, 2013

I can't get the stupid thing to submit. It would be so much easier if there was just a button that says "Continue current coverage" I'm done, have to work, cant deal with this crap ...

ILP Vs US Coverage At Night
Mar 03, 2015

A week or 2 back someone asked what the HDS/SHDA coverage was during the night in reply to a post about coverage during the daytime.  if still curious here are the approximate numbers from midnight.  ILP workers:  1500 US workers:  186 From that last post, during the day it was:  ILP workers:  1095 US workers:  837 ...

Which Companies Offer BC/BS Coverage?
Oct 17, 2009

x ...

Vacation, P.r.n., Per Diem Coverage?
Dec 14, 2009

I've been in this business for 30 years, but am under employed at the moment and am starting to get bored to tears with having so little work to do.  But, it seems that all of the ads that I see are looking for full time transcriptionists.  Surely there must be some companies or MTSOs somewhere who would need an MT to help with part time or per diem work, to help with vacation coverage or maybe for temporary work just to help clear up an occasional back log and such.  But, d ...

Insulin S/l *bcbgm* Coverage SM
Dec 20, 2009

Insulin dose to be continued as his usual level with __s/l *bcbgm*___ coverage at home. ...

MQ Benefits - Good Coverage?
Jan 17, 2011

Hi, I'm a bit frustrated right now as MQ Central -Departments-Human Resources - Benefits must be down!  Are there any FT employees who can tell me if MQ benefits are decent?  Thanks for any info.  I have sent several emails and I figured I'd probably get a response faster here first (lol)! ...

Only ONE Health Coverage Option?
Apr 22, 2011

I'm not very knowledgable on this healthcare stuff, but is it legal for them to offer only ONE option for health coverage?  Going up 60 bucks a month for me plus deductible going from 750 to 3000????  This is crazy! ...

What Is The Difference In Coverage Between The Two Insurances?
Nov 12, 2012

They both seem to have exactly the same coverage, same deductible, etc.  I can't figure out the difference between the two plans. ...

Medical Coverage Papers
Apr 24, 2013

I need to have my medical info in print, such as the ins and outs of my short term and long term disability and what the BCBS will pay and not pay.  Does anyone know where I can down load these at?  I know, dumb question, but I just cannot remember!  Any help would be appreciated! ...

Please Respond To Vacation Coverage Question?
May 26, 2010

I have put in a request for time off and have been told that I need to find coverage for that day.  I am a subcontractor.  Is this normal? ...

Nuance Medical Coverage Question
Apr 24, 2013

If I go to work for Nuance and get Blcross/blshield through Mass. how does that work if I live in another state?  It's hard enough to find providers for my current BB insurance in my state living in a small town, usually have to travel to a larger city.  Will I use and pay for out of netwok providers?  I went to their website specific URL for Nuance but wanted me to log in.  Thanks.   ...

Nuance Medical And Dental - What Companies Do They Have Coverage With?
Oct 20, 2011

Thanks ...

Will Start Intravenous Such As Roxine (sounds Like)for Coverage Of  Likely Pathogens
Dec 05, 2009

The sentence is as follows " Will start intravenous such as roxine (sounds like)for coverage of  likely pathogens resulting in meningitis. Any help would be wonderful. ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

Nuance Insurance Or Obama's "marketplace" Insurance
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmmmmm, should I go with Nuance insurance or Obama's "marketplace" insurance - that is the question. I'll be broke either way. ...

TT Insurance...
Dec 30, 2009

Just curious if anyone currently working at TT has received their new insurance info in the mail?  Yes, I've contacted HR but I never get a response. Thx ...

FYI Regarding Insurance
May 17, 2011

I don't know if yall know this, but I found out during the process of appealing an insurance claim that MedQuist is self-insured.  They set our rates and our benefits and pay all our claims, United Healthcare just administers the fund!  Kind of explains why things got so sh***y so fast, it's because MedQuist is calling the shots ...

MQ Insurance
Jul 12, 2011

Just wondering, MQ says that there insurance is second to none.  So, how good is their insurance and how expensive?  TIA Looking for love in all the wrong places, apparently. ...

So If You Are Ex JLG Now Do You Just Not Have Any Insurance Or What
Oct 02, 2011

Do we have to wait 90 days just like when hired on at a new job? I don't understand how this is fair considering I didn't ask for a change.  ...

Insurance-fed Up
Feb 16, 2012

I have had to use this insurance several times for MRIs.  This insurance pays for NOTHING.  I sure hope with the switch in suits and the new name change we can get a cheaper deductible when the benefits package comes up again in June.  This is just horrible!  This is eating up my paycheck fast. ...