A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Considering MedTrans For Refresher - smeeps

Posted: Feb 10, 2011

Yes, many may think I am nuts especially after already graduating from an accredited college with a specialized diploma in MT(and paying the student loans for it) but I am at the end of my rope.  Nance at MedTrans told me that they hire their graduates and that if I work for them for 6 months, I get the program fee back. If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, please, I would appreciate it. I am just getting frustrated at all of the "although your credentials are impressive, we desire applicants with xxamount of experience" rejection emails. Frown

Check archives. It's a scam. I've never EVER heard - of anyone that actually got paid. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They've had other names, too. They take your money and you're never "good enough" to actually make any when they "hire" you. Run, run, run!

I would be careful of that, like the other person said - dmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Try placing a resume here under resume bank and on the Job Wanted board. I don't know how many newbies have had responses that way but worth a try. I remember those days of trying to get my foot in the door, and I feel for you. Did you get a letter of recommendation from your school? Did they not have any job placement help for their graduates?

They did, but with this economy, it's tough everywhere - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing locally, not even for billing.

I'm Going To Do It - At Worst I get More Education/At Best, A Job - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
x

MedTrans - lm

[ In Reply To ..]
Does the name Mary Brooks and MedTrans have anything in common? Sounds familiar to me.
medtrans - Erin Pryor
[ In Reply To ..]
I would stay away from this company. I was going to start with this company when I first started, but I did not know that I would have to shell out $500 to start with. BE CAREFUL AND DO SOME REAL THINKING ABOUT IT.
Well, it's a bit better than soap, money wise - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
soap charges just about the same for their training, but you get paid during your training time and if you stay with them for 2 years, you get the money back. But if you quit before the 2 years you have to pay. I didn't have to pay because I was let go.

smeeps - lm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you go with MedTrans, let us know how things work out. I am also considering it.
Scam people! Did you even bother to search archives? - Amazing anyone still falls for them. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Guess I'm in the wrong business.
Scam How?? It's all in what you put into it-sm - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I'm a small majority here but I'm not looking to make a lot in this business, only to supplement the household income. Yes it's a home course and what I put into it is what I get out of it. If they do not hire me, well then, I look elsewhere. Just remember, this industry(MT) DI NOT choos YOU; YOU chose it. If you're so unhappy, then get out of the profession.
I think she was just trying to give you a heads up - desperado
[ In Reply To ..]
Some posters here have been around the boards for a long time, and I think there are quite a few posts from others here in the archives about not getting paid for their work.
And I sincerely appreciate that. sm - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
the owner and operator is listed as Mary Park-Youhanaie. I have been communicating with Nance and all seems to be on the up and up. But I will keep in mind all of the comments here. I thank you all.

Smeeps, I heard that Medquist hires newbies. - Might want to give it a try. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Also smeeps, try Globespan. They hire students that finished their schooling sm - link inside

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not associated with Medquist or with Globespan. I just did a google search for companies that hire MT newbies and found those two.

http://www.globespantranscription.com/transcription-careers.php

Smeeps - MQ survivor

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for MQ for quite a while (financial necessity) and I have often said that rather than work for them, I would clean toilets. Enough said.

I think smeeps posted before she was going with Q. What - happened with that? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

MQ- Tested-Didn't Pass-Can't retest until May - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Smeeps - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
Have you done a thorough background check on MQ? Are you SURE you want to work there? Caveat emptor!
I am not going to work for MQ-it's MedTrans I'm looking at. - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
x
smeeps - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
So glad you are not going to MQ. Nobody deserves the way they treat their MTs. Good luck on getting the perfect gig for you!
Just saying - Nan
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you the very best, I really do. Still, I would urge you to at least try to find someone who worked with this company as you plan to do and see how they fared and get direct feedback from their experience. I don't know anything about this company, but I am reminded of how nice the people at DIT spoke and of all the promises they made to me and others who've posted here. Clearly, not every MTSO are as honest as we may wish them to be. Be careful. Good luck to you.

medquist - pauly

[ In Reply To ..]
I have tested twice now for medquist and twice have been declined. Which seems odd because the scoring they gave me was EXACTLY IDENTICAL. Seems odd to me. Any suggestions????

pauly - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I have only one suggestion about MQ. Do a thorough background check on what they have done to their MTs in the past, then RUN the opposite way as fast as your little legs can take you!

Some thoughts - xmtso

[ In Reply To ..]
Your "credentials" must not tell the whole story. You've been let go at one position, and failed the MQ test (who hires newbies). This says to me your training is subpar. This isn't a personal attack. This is the view from my seat reading your threads (not just this one.)

So, you're considering going with a company that is going to charge you and you don't want to hear the people that have repeatedly told you this is a scam. In one post you state you get the money back in 6 months, in another you say 2 years. I can tell ya, if you're struggling with subpar skills, MedTrans will find reason NOT to have you make it to 6 months and they will have pocketed- your fees and free work. Sounds like a great racket if you can legally get away with it.

While you have student loans and are paying them back, I would really recommend you take an actual medical transcription course that is designed to train you ONLY for an MT/editor position.

You paying money for anything less than that is useless, IMO. You might as well just burn the money and enjoy the heat from it.

MedTrans is now and always has been a scam. I gather they are now telling you it's a training up program, whereas before it was just a fee to work for them and get their foot pedal and program.

Don't let desperation lead you into the back allies, it's not likely to have a positive outcome.

Ouch....but somewhat true-sm - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
While you're words were somewhat true, my schooling and instruction came from an accredited institute(it was their medical transcription program). Practice makes perfect, only I haven't been able to get hired to get the practice, kwim?? I've read enough to make me reconsider MedTrans.

just wondering - Linda

[ In Reply To ..]
What school did you go to?
Fortis Institute(Allied Medical/Technical)Scranton - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
x

ADHI approved? - xmtso

[ In Reply To ..]
Accredited doesn't really have a lot to do with whether or not it teaches you what you need to know for transcription. So while it may have been accredited, it doesn't sound like you received an adequate education.

I still would recommend trying a school that really prepares you for the job.
Can't, this 1 was $12k-and no, they did not teach BOS. - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
The transcription part was taught by a transcriptionist. The school was suppose to be one of the best in the area for this. and it was affordable. I went with it because of both. I have the BOS, so I may just hunker down and read it cover to cover. I have no choice but to do the best with what I've got.
smeeps - Linda
[ In Reply To ..]
Had a similar experience. Went to school for medical assisting that also had a transcription class. It taught nothing about transcription. Later went to M-TEC.
so I'm between a rock and a hard place.... - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
all I can do then, is keep on truckin', keep on looking. Oh well......
You probably learned medical terms, so get a non-MT job that uses medical terminology - My Recommendation
[ In Reply To ..]
There are all sorts of jobs that require a knowledge of medical terminology. Then you can save your money and take another medical transcription course later if you want, but at least you can use the terms that you learned. Even the worst of schools teach medical terminology, because it's easy to teach. You can even learn that on your own without a school, so if your school didn't teach them well, you can certainly supplement study of terminology on your own and go out and use what you've learned. Don't try to make it in medical transcription with an inadequate education. It just isn't worth it. If you are unable to pass the tests MT employers give, you have an inadequate MT education. Your options are to fix it by going to a different (better, not another inadequate program) school, or just use what you've learned to do something non-MT. Good luck with whatever you decide!
I appreciate your suggestions, but- - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
I love transcription and am good at it(as I was told by the transcription manager at the hospital I externed at). Every service or office etc. has their own way of doing things. And I'm sure, with practice ie a job, I will only get better with time. I will keep at it because it is something I want to do. But you telling me that I shouldn't do MT, well that just isn't for you to decide.
I think the point is, if you can't pass employment tests, you may want to reconsider MT as a ca - Common Sense
[ In Reply To ..]
Most externships I've seen are less than a good example of what most employers really require of an MT. I haven't seen one yet that actually was educational, although there may be exceptions.

I don't think anyone is telling you not to do MT if you can do it, but if you can't do it; i.e., can't pass employment transcription tests, that's a decision you may want to consider.
I may not pass, but I do not fail by much. - sm - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate your honesty. The testing scores I have had, I have not failed by much(at least in my mind) 40 out of 50 right...93%....It's just I grew to love MT while in school and even moreso during my externship. How can wanting to do something I love be wrong??
I understand. Just giving you some things to think about - as you make your own decision(s)
[ In Reply To ..]
Just keep your options open as much as possible. I have known many people who loved the idea of doing medical transcription, but it was wrong for them for all sorts of reasons. For example, sometimes it's wrong because they have a terrible work environment with no privacy or maybe not enough time to work. I've known some who couldn't type, and believe me, if you can't type well, this is the wrong career to get into, no matter how much you love it. Your school probably already talked to you about that before they enrolled you though, so you already know that. I sincerely wish you well. Some people will tell you that you can do anything as long as you put your mind to it. That isn't really true. I've tried things that I desperately wanted to do and years later realized the truth, after spending many hours of time and lots of money. If you've been here and on other MT boards, you'll also see people say that any school is okay because you get out of it what you put into it. My point is, no, you don't. They have to teach something worth getting and they have to teach it correctly before you can "get it" by your hard work, devotion, and motivation. Do you agree with that or are you finding that not to be true?
93% - xmtso
[ In Reply To ..]
Would you want your physician to be 93% correct when he does your exam?

40 out of 50 is an 80 btw, not 93%.

You do NOT have the education required to be an MT. I want to be a brain surgeon, in fact, I'd love to be, and can tell you how to perform many brain surgeries, but that doesn't make me a brain surgeon.

Your insistence that you cannot get the proper education is concerning because MTs w/o proper education don't know what they don't know (sort of like your math above).
1 test was 40/50 and another was 93% -FYI - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
we're here to support one another. why is it that people, such as you feel the need to cut those of us down who are genuinely trying??
scores - xmtso
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry you feel I'm not being supportive. But in all honesty 40/50 and 93% are not really good scores, Smeeps.

I hope one day you make a wonderful MT. I just don't think you have the skill set at this point in time to do that. And what I hear from your posts is that you're unwilling to entertain the thought and that you think you should be able to be a working MT. I happen to think it's dangerous to allow someone w/o the proper skills to do the job.
Did your training use the SUM tapes? - dmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I think they're still being used, but if your school didn't use them, could be something to look into for extra training while you're looking for a job. I also completed some of the advanced and specialty SUM tapes on my own for more experience when I was starting out.
At my MT job... - Linda
[ In Reply To ..]
I transcribe medical seminars, conferences, interviews of all kinds. I love it. Maybe that's a place for you to start again by doing "sort of" medical transcription and continue to learn and use some of what you have already learned.
I don't understand. You paid $12k for a medical transcription course? - Confused
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It was $12,000-Medical transcription/Insurance Billing-nm - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Wow! That's a lot of money. Why did you pay so much? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It was the most affordable option for me and the school came highly recommended - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Fair enough. - Just curious
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If you went to an AHDI-Approved School, you should already have the "practice" - unless it was a poor AHDI-Approved School

[ In Reply To ..]
If you went to a poor school, whether it was AHDI-Approved or not, you probably missed out on more than just the practice. You won't be able to fix that by an internship or "fix-it" program. I hate to see that happen to people, but it happens every day.

Being "accredited" is not important (except for financial aid), but "Approved by AHD - Big Difference!

[ In Reply To ..]
Any school that wants to work with financial aid programs has to be accredited, but that has nothing to do with what they teach. If you want to go to a school that has been evaluated to assess the quality of the education they provide, you'll want a school that is AHDI-Approved. All AHDI-Approved schools are not equal, but they have all gone through the approval process, which is a good thing. It just isn't the "only" thing to consider.

There are huge differences among the schools that are approved. I wouldn't consider one that hasn't been approved. That's the absolute starting point in school selection. Then you look to see the quality of the instructors, amount of time allowed/required (too short is not good), and the materials used in the course. Once you get that far, you'll be knowledgeable enough to read through the lines. In other words, if someone pressures you to sign up to today and you get a special deal, you might be tempted to do that before you do your homework. You'll recognize that for what it is once you've done your research.
Getting Back To ORIGINAL Subject Of Post - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
I refused the package and requested a refund. I thank all of you who have given me honest input. Although I always wear my "big girl pants', some of the comments, especially the ones regarding my education, well, they really dug deep. Like many of you, I worked very hard during my schooling, passed with flying colors. While that may not mean much.... well I am not going to say anymore. I need not explain myself. Good Bye
What package? What did - Linda
[ In Reply To ..]
I miss???
I was going to take MedTrans' course-items were sent-I refused - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
Just changed my mind about it all.
Smeeps, the bottom line is, can you pass employment tests or not - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't even remember where you went to school, so my answer is a general answer to anyone who graduates from any MT course. If you can pass employment transcription tests, you're on your way to a career in MT. If you can't, you either did a poor job in whatever course you took or you took a course that doesn't teach the necessary skills. So what do you do about it if, in fact, you are unable to pass employment transcription tests? You either use the skills you did learn, terminology probably, to get a job that has that requirement. That won't be an MT job, but at least you are using what you learned. Your other option is to start all over, but most people don't want to do that, and there's a possibility that this is just not the right career for you. If it is, then go for it, not in a piecemeal way, but with a thorough MT program that is respected by employers who will know that you have been taught what they want you to know.
Perfect response. Smeeps - The poster above is correct. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Fortis Institute(Allied Medical/Technical)Scranton - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

MT Refresher Course?
Aug 24, 2010

I thought M-Tec had three different courses.  I was just looking around and only saw one.  I am looking for a good brush-up course and don't want to waste what little money I have on a bad school, so thought I might have to look at total retraining at a good school since I cannot find any refhresher courses.  Does anyone know of a good refhresher MT course?  Your advice is appreciated.  Thank you in advance. ...

Refresher Training
Apr 12, 2011

I know that I just graduated and got my diploma in December/January. However, I feel that I need more training on things like styles, such as the forms in which each different type of report needs to be typed, etc. For instance, for an H&P- I need to get more training in the FORM that that needs to be done in- and other types of reports as well. I had a job that lasted all of 3 days; I am very upset that the training I got didn't seem to be enough for me to be familiar with the report s ...

MT Refresher Courses
Jun 09, 2013

I've been out of MT for some time now and I'm considering taking refresher courses. Career Step offers them. Anyone have anything on them? Are they worth the money? If not, do you have ideas on the best way to re-enter the MT field? ...

Medtrans......anyone?
Oct 14, 2009

does anyone know anything about this company? ...

MedTrans, Inc.
Apr 21, 2011

Does anyone knwo anything abotu MedTrans, Inc.? Is it a scam? Will they hire their new graduates? Thx! ...

Is MedTrans Really Hiring?
Feb 05, 2010

I see ads for Medtrans all over the internet for all different cities and you go to their website and it seems they are pushing you to take their course and then they will hire you.  I am just confused because I keep seeing the companies advertise for months, yet they seem to say "no" a lot.  I have 12 yrs experience in acute care, radiology, and clinic, and it's amazing to me how for some reason it seems impossible to pass these tests.  Is it just me?  ...

To MedTrans Of America
Mar 26, 2010

I was really interested in the position that you had until I read that you pay $.07/line with NO SPACES.  It honestly sounds like some great work that I would love to do, but unfortunately your pay is too low and doesn't include spaces.  Good luck! ...

Getting Aggravated With MedTrans Ads
Oct 19, 2010

I see their ad all of the time and I always fall for it and apply. But all they are is recruiters selling their "course". Yet their ads state they are 'hiring'. I'm about at the end of my rope. Services need expereinced MTs. Yet, I can't get hired to get the experience. I have networked myself to every doctor office I see locally but no one calls. Or I get 'Oh, we're using EMR and phasing out our transcription department. Aacck...think I made a mistake going to scho ...

Coastal MedTrans Response
Aug 01, 2012

Although I didn't reply to her job offer I think it was very nice for her to post and explain why she couldn't respond to everyone.  Sounds like a caring employer. ...

Looking For Good/bad Info On MedTrans Of America.
Mar 30, 2011

nm ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...