A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Lawsuit for unpaid overtime - Lucy

Posted: Jul 21, 2012

Yet another lawsuit for unpaid overtime by Keystrokes.......anyone have issues working for these people and not being paid overtime?  Are you willing to stand up for yourself and get what you deserve?  If so, please send a response!  Wink

I work OT and get paid for it. The other lawsuits were settled, no fault. sm - Legal Eye

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes it is less expensive in terms of time and money to settle than to fight something, no matter who is at fault. I do know that the settlements for one of them were not big.

I also know that they are super careful about OT now and have been for a while. It hurts those of us who want to work more than 40 hours to get extra lines and extra money because now you cannot work OT without permission and they do not going to give that permission easily. I am sure that the lawsuits prompted the stupid timeclock that we have to punch in and out now.

Keystrokes is a good company but I think that they are being more corporate because of these things and it is a shame. The person that I know who sued them should be ashamed; they even bought a Christmas tree for her one year when she had tough times and gave her money for her kids to have a holiday. She was looking for a free ride, just like many sue-happy people in this world.

Just an FYI before I am accused of it: I am not a suit, not a manager and not a relative. I am just an MT who has been happy at Keystrokes for many years.

LoveKeystrokes - HappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am very happy at Keystrokes. I always get paid when I work, regular or overtime. Some people need to get over it and move on ... Keystrokes is a great place to work!!

LoveKeystrokes - HappyMT - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad you are happy with them, but I question would be how long you have worked for them? If you are a recent hire, of course you are being paid overtime because they just started doing this without fail due to legal matters. I also wonder how you would "get over" being forced to work excessive hours per week with no overtime? I think if the shoe were on your foot, your opinion may differ?
ForceOT? - HappyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
How can someone FORCE you to work OT? If asked or told, tell them NO! Aren't you in control of your own life?? I guess not ....
Force OT - Lucy
[ In Reply To ..]
Without trying to start an argument going back and forth on this issue, I would just like to remind you that there are many employees at Keystrokes who are not straight MTs. With that said, it has nothing to do with being in control of your life. Obviously, you are a straight MT and know nothing about the other side of this business? Like I said, I am glad that you are happy, etc., but I have the right to voice my opinion/experience.
ForcedOT - HappyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, I do know the other side of the business. Been MT for over 25 years! Like I said, you CANNOT be forced to work OT. Of course you have a right to voice your opinion/experience, as do I! Happy Typing! :)

I work OT and get paid???? - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be interesting to know how long you have worked for this company, as well as what form of employment you hold with them? I have personal knowledge that they were regularly in the practice of having people work 50-60-70+ hours a week with NO overtime. It was only recently, after a threatened third lawsuit that they instituted a time clock, which is required legally to keep track of employees' hours. I would wonder why it took them so long to get on board with the labor laws????? My answer to that would be, why pay if nobody is aware that they are due the money? A once very personal and caring company has gradually transformed into a greedy, self-serving business who does not care about each employee.

I have been there for 10 years, and yes, I get paid OT. Do you work there? sm - Long-time KS MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been given OT for years. If someone did not, then they were not claiming it.

Yes, there have been lawsuits, but the bigger the company, the more vulnerable they are, no matter what industry they are in.

Keystrokes is still a good company that cares about its employees, and if you think otherwise, than you must not work there.

I also know that lawsuits hurt companies, even when settled, because they are very expensive. We'll all be lucky if they don't sell this year, because if I were the owners, I would sure be thinking about it. So far, so good, but I'm worried about how long these mid-size companies can hang on.
To Longtime KS MT - HappyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I just want to thank you for sticking up for Keystrokes. I love them. They have been far to me. Thank goodness for your honest comments and of course, those other people probably don't work there. If they did and were unhappy, then leave! Let others have a great company to work for!!

Timeclocks are not the law, and I wish they did not put it into place. sm - Long-time KS MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate having to punch in and out, but I see why they did it.

I think that it took so long because they trusted their employees to record the proper time but they got burned.

I am an MT, not a suit, not a manager, but I know that it takes more to run a business of this size than most people realize.

I have talked with many of my co-workers, and none of us like the time clock, but we have to do it.

Why so bitter?
Longtime KS MT - HappyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Amen!
Time Clock - CuriousMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If there is no jobs available, do you still stayed cloced in or clock out until there is work available? Just curious, I am new to the time clock.
Timeclocks are not the law....... - Lucy
[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, let's get educated before we speak on what is the law and what is not. First and foremost, it is most definitely a law that companies keep track of their employees' hours, either by time clock or time sheets. If you disagree, I would advise a call to the Labor Board. Secondly, I am not bitter........just stating the facts regarding this subject. If you have been employed by them for 10 years and have NEVER been denied overtime, then I would assume you are a straight MT who only worked overtime when it was presented as being "paid" overtime. If you have been with the company that long, you definitely know that their asking people to work over or extra was always considered just "extra work" for the most part and almost always did NOT involve overtime pay. This, of course, has changed this year due to the legality of the matter. It has taken them a considerable amount of time to institute proper time reporting systems even after being sued for unpaid overtime. This is what I was commenting on.
Not at KS but I think that time clocks have ruined our ability to work as much as we want. - MissTheOldDays
[ In Reply To ..]
I miss being able to work extra when I have a vacation planned or a kid's birthday or anything that needs extra money.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

Unpaid ICs
Aug 26, 2010

DIT Transcription in North Dakota ...

Looking For Former DIT Unpaid ICs; Question For You Now That Tax Time Is Here
Jan 01, 2011

Oh, those 2 dreaded words – TAX TIME Over the past year it seems as though there were more and more MTSOs not paying their Independent Contractors (especially DIT), leaving those MTs with little recourse to collect their wages.  I have never had contact with DIT, so I am kind of blind in my assumptions, and I may be way off base. If I am, just ignore the rest of my ramblings.   I assume that as Independent Contractors working for DIT, the MTs were billing or invoicing DIT peri ...

Unpaid Insurance And Wages.
Aug 24, 2012

What would you think if you went to make a dental appt and were told you had no coverage due to non-payment by your employer and the insurance company cancelled you, but..... the premiums are still being taken out.  Or if you did not get your paycheck last payday or were $$$ short? ...

Unpaid 30 Minute Break And...
Jul 22, 2013

I don't mind having an unpaid 30-minute break, but the thing that bothers me about some of these companies is the fact that it is tiring sitting at a computer for 8 hours and getting only a 30 minute break.  If I want two more 15 minute breaks those can be worked in, but then I have to add back 30 more minutes to my time! I like to at least stretch ever hour or so.  :/  ...

13 Days Of Unpaid Leave
Sep 10, 2013

I thought it was only 5 before.   So sick of this place.  I might drop to 20 hours and give them the absolute minimum. ...

Okay, Another Question On The Unpaid Time Off
Dec 03, 2013

have to exhaust your PTO before you can use it? I can see my TSM saying that is only after PTO runs out. TIA. This doesn't really answer my question: Q.  How much time off without pay can I take per year? A.  M*Modal is providing five additional days off to use as unpaid excused absences. All HDS/SHDA will have the ability to take up to 13 unpaid days off each year.  These absences can be used for sickness, family emergencies, vacations or other activities. However, al ...

Can You Take An Unpaid Hiatus Of 1-3 Months?
Jul 09, 2014

Does anyone know if you can take a hiatus of 1-3 months, without pay of course, and still have your job? Not related to FMLA or anything like that, I just need a flippin break, but I don't want to actually quit. ...

Unpaid ADT/CC Information Experiment
May 20, 2015

So my experiement yielded, and this is a consevative estimate because I may have forgotten to track sometimes and, of course, by actually tracking cut my prouction way down.. I had 1093 characters or 16.81 lines rounded up to 17, which is $1.36 a day and roughly 346.8 dollars a year based on an estimated 8 cents a line and 51 weeks working. In the personal scheme of things, not a heck of a lot but it is 2-3 electric bills for me..but more importantly, multiply that bill by all the transciptionis ...

Mandatory HIPAA Training UNPAID
Jun 04, 2010

So I read the below post about the email circulating among some employers (including mine) about this mandatory class and test for HIPAA. This is an excerpt from what I received today in my inbox:  I am getting some questions about the mandatory HIPAA class being unpaid.  Let me clarify why this is the case.  Taking the class is mandatory, but unpaid because it is a legal requirement and can be taken at your own pace, on your own time.  We are actually helping you to protect ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

Has Anyone Sued An MTSO In A Different State For Unpaid Wages? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I just briefly scanned through the small claim filing rules for here in Colorado, and it looks like I would have to file a claim in her state (Texas). I just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it was worth it. I am an IC and after months and months of never being paid on time, I was smart enough not to work much and so she only owes me a little over $300, but I hate to let her get by with stealing even that much from me. TIA ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Something About The Lawsuit
Oct 16, 2011

Is it a class action suit?  Can anyone join?  Someone told me it can go as far back as 3 years.  ...

Do You Really Think Lawsuit Will Help?
May 15, 2012

I don't want to be negative but do you really think anything will change?  MQ got sued and that didn't exactly improve anything.  I think we got a discount on a medical reference book and a time clock.  I'd like to hear opinions on this. ...

Nuance And Lawsuit
May 20, 2012

If you don't wish to hear anything further about the lawsuit, please stop reading now. For those of you still here, it is my understanding that Nuance has used the same tactics as Transcend -- asking you to alter your time cards, reviewing your QA on your own time, "hands-only on the keyboard," etc. If this is the case, PLEASE contact the attorneys that are assisting the 'Grand 13.'  You have a case as well and do NOT let this opportunity pass by to make your statement loud ...

Anyone Read About The Lawsuit
Jul 03, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2012/05/11/medical-transcriptionists-say-enough-is-enough/ ...

Lawsuit Against Transcend
Aug 08, 2012

Its about time! http://mttoolsonline.com/2012/05/11/medical-transcriptionists-say-enough-is-enough/ ...

What Is The Nuance 13 Lawsuit About?
Aug 23, 2012

?? ...

Imedx Lawsuit
Apr 30, 2013

I sold my company to imedx and have not been paid what I was promised. I hired a lawyer and have been told that it would cost too much to sue. Is anyone else in the same position? Perhaps we could join together and share the legal expense. ...

Why Isn't There A Lawsuit Against Nuance?
Jun 19, 2013

I was never this depressed when I worked for Transcend.  Now, with the hounding e-mail, do this, don't do that, rule change, etc.  Oh, and I better not forget about Webclock, Fiesa, etc.  They have it all planned out to cover their ass.  Now I feel like at least Transcend gave a damn once in a while, unlike Nuance.  Every weekly change I see benefits Nuance, not the employee.  Sorry, I just had to vent.  The last few weeks have been nothing but stressed ou ...

Lawsuit Transcend
Sep 21, 2013

Anyone else get an email from Kevin Dooley and associates re:  Transcend lawsuit?  It's so hard to remember dates and everything from his questionaire sent.  ...

Transcend Lawsuit
May 28, 2014

Fighting Nuance would be just the same as the current Transcend Lawsuit. For those who are not involved, the latest news did not look good. They are trying to get it thrown out on the basis that because we are independent contractors kind of, the situations vary greatly and we should not be allowed to file as one unit. The attorneys for Transcend feel each MLS should file separately. Well, since we make slave wages, who the hell could ever afford an attorney? So, they have found every way p ...

Others Here Have Wound Up In Lawsuit
Jun 04, 2014

If you have come here for years as I have you would know about the poster who got sued by a company for what she posted here about the company. I do not remember the name of the company nor the poster's name but I do remember reading the postings and I thought OMG myself. The companies do come here and read these postings. If you post something that is not true they might be like the other company, able to figure out who you are by what is posted or some way. I am saying, I know this to hav ...

Thinking About A Lawsuit And I Need Advice
Aug 02, 2010

I need advice,  please,  from someone.   There have been many miscommunicaitons  with a MTSO and none have been in my favor.      I do have documentation of everything that  happened.  I have a close relative who is an attorney who has reviewed this infromation.   He advised that,  hands down,  I do have a lawsuit and could certainly file a claim against this company.  I am hesitant to do this.&nb ...

Another Lawsuit Worth 2 Million.
Aug 19, 2010

Gee, I wonder if our pay is already being affected AGAIN or going too soon by the company figuring out how re-do our pay.  Be careful, we might get another survey.    http://philly.citybizlist.com/YourCityBizNews/detail.aspx?id=90208   MedQuist Pays Kaiser $2M to Settle Suit - cbl Share Email this Article By citybizlist Staff MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- MedQuist Inc. (NASDAQ: MEDQ), a medical transcription company, has agreed to pay Kaiser Permanente $2 million to sett ...

Transcend Lawsuit - And Amphion
May 12, 2012

Any other Amphion employees out there want to get involved?  I already contacted  lawyers. ...

Transcend Lawsuit Outcome?
Oct 29, 2012

Anybody know the outcome of this or if it is still ongoing? ...

Class Action Lawsuit?
Apr 08, 2013

Wondering how/if all of us who work for MModal can start a class action lawsuit against them?  What for you ask?  Oh gee......lying to us, taking our work away from us, saying they'll pay a certain amount but really do not, bad TSMs.....etc, etc.  What all those are called in legal terms, I have no idea.  I am 60 years old and not close to retirement age yet.....Michigan does not allow part time UE, so what the heck am I going to do for a living for the next 2 years?&nbs ...

Transcend Lawsuit Article
Apr 15, 2013

Take a look -- this is regarding issues that most of us deal with on a daily basis.  Very interesting. http://mttoolsonline.com/2012/05/11/medical-transcriptionists-say-enough-is-enough/ ...