A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thought this was an interesting article - MTgirl

Posted: Jun 23, 2014

Personally, I think it would be great if we had TV commercials or radio commercials showing the impact and decline of the accuracy of patients' medical records and the starving of US MTs to death by greedy MTSOs offshoring to other countries. http://www.ahdilounge.org/index.php/2014/06/is-it-time-to-take-to-the-streets/

That was PRICELESS! Thanks for sharing! - (SM) Keypounder

[ In Reply To ..]
I can visualize a montage of automated muckups in healthcare being shown: Doctor struggling to operate an in-exam-room PC; "Frank" the computer nurse; a doctor with poor dictating habits doing his thing, then a close-up of the messed up printout that results when it's dictated to VR; followed by an explanation that they laid off their entire transcription department in order to offshore to India; have the "computer dude" also filling in as a scribe.

This could be funny, simultaneously scary stuff!

Interesting video - MTgirl too

[ In Reply To ..]
I just sent that link to a friend of mine who is an RN. Wow, I am considering having a total knee replacement in September; I should have my physician see this video. Sadly, it is very true!

Similar Messages:

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Interesting Medquist Article
Aug 11, 2011

http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/110316/MEDQUIST-INC_10-K/ ...

Very Interesting Article To Read.
Mar 11, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226934/Indian-police-arrest-company-boss-accused-selling-medical-records-British-patients.html ...

Interesting Article About Nuance
Mar 22, 2012

I was reading an email about current trends in the industry and it talked about Nuance's acquisition of Transcend and how Nuance had acquired 43 companies since being in business, gaining some of those acquisitions by bullying competitors with lawsuits and then buying them out. Then I stumbled across this article on Bloomberg Businessweek. It's a little dated (May 2011) but quite interesting, especially the quote from the Dave Grannan, CEO of Vlingo: "Competing with Nuance is like havi ...

Stumbled Across An Interesting Article
Jul 12, 2012

It was from a 2011 article on SR ... the comments are being made by Lynn Kosegi from M*Modal: Someone else who has been very eloquently making the same case for a while is Lynn Kosegi of M*Modal. Lynn presented at AHDI Florida twice last year, at our technology workshop and at our annual meeting, and she explained that paying speech rec editors at 50% the line rate effectively punishes the best producers and those producers will ultimately be lost to the profession, replaced by transcription di ...

Interesting Article About Scribes, Etc.
Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That̢۪s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student̢۪s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only las ...

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

Interesting Article Regards Apps And
Oct 24, 2014

From Boston Biz Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/health-care/2014/10/apps-the-next-frontier-to-the-electronic-medical.html?page=all ...

Interesting Article About Transcriptionists Not Going Away
Jun 10, 2015

I came across this today when I was searching info on medical transcription. I found it interesting when it said offshoring was once popular in the 90s... http://www.ahdpg.com/calling-all-transcriptionists-the-world-needs-you/ ...

Interesting Article On Spheris Buyout.
Jun 01, 2010

Below is the link to article. http://business.nashvillepost.com/2010/03/15/spheris-seeks-approval-for-850k-bonus-plan/ ...

Interesting Article About Tech & Worldview
Apr 11, 2015

See especially the paragraph about driving down wages and controlling hiring.  This reminds me of MM and N's recent calling of ex-employees, and the recent post about the ex-employee being BULLIED  (the post is on the board here).  ...

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Interesting Article About Fraudulent Scribing Practices
Mar 09, 2014

Hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to become a scribe. I don't think I could do what this scribe is asked to do. ...

Interesting Thought Re Audits, PM, Firings, And Quitting
Jul 24, 2014

MTs have been leaving this profession in significant numbers in the last few years due to the pay, the lack of work, companies going out of business, voice recognition, and especially at MM with audits, performance management, firings, and disgruntled employees.  At the same time, you seldom see or hear of new MTs signing up and going through the schools to get certified.  The New MTs board is a good indication.  You also seldom see advertisements these days for MT training (for g ...

Very Interesting.....
Apr 16, 2012

I think it is very interesting how a company will make you jump through hoops to "prove" you are an independent contractor but still want you to use an employee based punch in/out system. You don't get it both ways, if I am an independent contractor, then I don't have to use your employee based punch system, especially when you want to charge for it but to keep track of my own hours is free. ...

Here's An Interesting One...
Apr 27, 2012

ASR put "1,000,000 cm" instead of mobility. What? Why? ...

Well, Here's Something Interesting
May 02, 2012

I copied this from another site (sorry not supposed to put names on here): "(Transcription company name) is looking for MTs with minimum one year's experience for its Delhi office.  Mail CV at (their e-mail address here).  No, we do not outsource!" What the h***fire does that mean?  We do not outsource?  oh you mean to AMERICA where you got the work from?  sad, very very sad. ...

Interesting Ad
Oct 15, 2012

I saw an ad for radiology.  It states no experience necessary.  Paid training is available.  Typing skills are a plus but not required.  Earn up to $30,000 part time adn $55,000 full time.  How can someone post an ad like this.   Obviously it is an ad to train for medical transcription.  I hope that no one falls for this. ...

Well, This Is Interesting...
Jan 23, 2014

NJA yesterday for a significant amount of time.  Today, I log on...NJA.  Fifteen minutes later, they begin trickling in...jobs dictated YESTERDAY!!!  How is that even possible?? omg.  I thought there were NJA available yesterday!!!  ...

It Will Be Interesting To See What Happens When
Jan 28, 2014

Been reading the business perspective of what will happen when (not if - when) minimum wage is increased, and 99% of companies who employ low income workers say that will be the day they lay off most of their employees, or have to close their doors altogether.  Not that I expect MModal to ever "close their doors", but that does leave open the other alternative for a huge layoff as the need to "supplement" employees who aren't earning minimum wage, or who don't meet their ridiculou ...

Isn't This Interesting
Aug 29, 2014

Ran across this bit of information while looking for something else.  (Isn't that how it always happens?)  I don't know if it's been posted before, but even if it has, it's worth posting again. http://www.mtexchange.com/medical-transcription-exchange/who-owns-mtstars-com/ ...

Isn't It Interesting...
Mar 11, 2015

...that on the weekend before a big meeting with the client, there's an OOW situation on both Saturday and Sunday when on previous weekends the TSMs were begging us to work extra since MTs are either quitting or there's not enough coverage in the first place. So now we're being told to make up our missed weekend hours during the week, when it's obvious that the work was outsourced to cover the higher-ups' butts! Why are WE expected to be inconvenienced due to their lac ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

Something That I Found Very Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic. ...

Something I Found Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

I also posted this on the main board, but here goes. Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic ...

Isn't It Interesting That Newbies Are Getting
Jul 01, 2010

us oldies are getting below 98%, in some cases waaayy below, after years or decades of exemplary work, with raises, etc. How much more obvious can it get that they're downsizing the highest paid (and most experienced) MT/ME, to hire the newbies and get the tax breaks. Makes me SICK, so I resigned a couple weeks ago and feel absolutely in shock that I did it, finally, and trust in God for a better job. ...