A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interesting Article about Scribes, etc. - MTKillingMe

Posted: Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That’s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student’s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only lasts around 7.5 minutes, and you’re supposed to speed things up rather than slow things down), follow instructions and not make any serious mistakes, all for the same salary as someone working at the Taco Bell around the corner. Is the high rate of unemployment in a severe recession great or what?" In a way, this is basically what MT has become (not necessarily scribes, though they aren't apparently paid all that great either)... Interesting article at: http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/11/scribes-lead-unintended-consequences-electronic-medical-records.html

medical scribes - not me

[ In Reply To ..]
The other term being used is Clinical Information Manager. If you get job alerts from a job search site, type that in. Lots of opening in NJ and LA area. I was rejected because I did not fit their requirements. They are looking for premed, nursing, EMTs etc., not MTs. I find that so interesting. They should have at least one or two people who want to be just CIMs because when students are in school or studying, they will call in sick, etc.
The person who rejected me is less educated than me and looks about 24 years old (his linkedin page).

Also, took an online test to see if I qualified for a medical scribe position (only $8 but I thought I would take the test anyways). I didn't pass. I thought it was funny that I didn't pass. I don't know why, and I don't remember any of the specific questions, but they were not knowledge based. They might have been screening to bump off MTs.

Also notice that when field technician jobs (for scanning medical records) are advertised, they never list MTs, as people who would be qualified to do the job! But they list RNs and LCSWs, etc. Why would a social worker want to scan documents. Not an outstanding hourly wage, usually only part time, but you may qualify for a $25 week bonus!

I have been wondering about the extent that MTs are being blacklisted, not just by MTSOs (who cares about that?), but by human resource people in general. They do blacklist people -- maybe even groups of people.

Wouldn't touch it. Plus I think the so called - scribe profession is just a fad.

[ In Reply To ..]

Been wondering the same thing! - MTKillingMe

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen local jobs just like you posted, and I also noticed they never include us. On top of that, the hospital in my area rejects every application I submit, even for "entry level" clerical jobs. They send me back a letter about how they're pursuing other candidates who more closely match the job (despite working clerically part time while being an MT and being computer savvy)! I'm surprised that I don't even warrant an interview as I have a combination of skills.

I did locate a couple companies that will hire MTs to be scribes, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable being in the patient's room, and I'm also wondering if this job will be a temporary stop gap and then eliminated down the road. I surely could see patients also objecting to having a scribe in the room while being examined!

Mts and HR - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A good majority of people don't know we exist, let alone what we do. To say that there's HR people out there blacklisting MTs as a group is absurd. Also, I would say that the reason the look for premed, nurses, EMTs, etc for scribe positions is because people with that type of experience would be comfortable in a patient's room.
So a hospital wouldn't know what an MT does? - Really?
[ In Reply To ..]
What I'm finding is they DO know and they don't value it, so in a sense, we're blacklisted. They don't value introverts who've been working in isolated settings for decades, and they know we haven't exactly multi-tasked. Anyway, that's what it feels like after numerous rejections.
Think about what you just said - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Who *would* want to hire employees who assert that they are introverted, have worked in isolation for decades, and claim they are not multitaskers?

You may as well hang a sign around your neck saying you are a card-carrying dysfunctional.

Whether you know it or not, you are broadcasting those beliefs to employers. Do something to correct that.

Nothing wrong with being introverted. It does not preclude working successfully with others.

Nothing about MT means "not multitasking." If you think it does, you do not understand what multitasking is.

Now, now, it's kind of unreasonable to assume - a thoughtful person is a stupid one. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That post did not call anyone stupid - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You're offering good advice, but "Really?" makes a good point, too. - Des
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know exactly what caused it, but we MTs just do not have the respect we once had. Maybe it's because we went home and they forgot about us, maybe it's because all these diploma mills regurgitated out a bunch of lazy wannabes who poisoned the workpool, maybe it's because VR has given the illusion that our jobs are easy and can be done by a mindless computer, or maybe it's because our pay had gotten so high at one point that no one would see us as serious job seekers if the job we're seeking pays less than the perceived pay of MT. Bottom line is, the stereotyping and prejudice is out there and it's got some power behind it.
Des - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
After seeing about a thousand people from "institutions" such as AHP and TranSCAM and hearing them whine about how no one will give them a chance, I think our profession has been degraded. Why these places are allowed to stay in business is just beyond me. It is heartbreaking to see these naive folks, their newly-minted "certificates" in hand, come in to apply for jobs for which they are in no way qualified. They might as well apply for the position of Chief of Neurosurgery. They have about an equal chance of success at either. I think a lot of people got sucked into MT who do not belong here. Schools need to tell the truth. If UCLA can say, "We're just as sorry as we can be, but you don't have the math skills needed for admission to the School of Engineering" (and they did), why on earth can't these profiteers develop a conscience and stop robbing people and degrading the profession? Okay, sorry, I must have had too much coffee this morning.
/rant off
Considering that I'm doing laundry, answering - phone calls, putting out
[ In Reply To ..]
fires, paying bills, etc while I work, I definitely consider myself a multitasker!
I'd like to know... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
why it is that MTs automatically think that HR knows you work at home in isolation just because you put that you are an MT on your resume. Not every single MT works at home and unless you are including the information of where the company is located on your resume, then how would they know? Just seems like a very strange assumption to me. They have no idea if you have moved around a lot.
A true story about a hospital administrator - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Back in the day, a looong time ago, one of my first jobs was working as an MT in a large metropolitan hospital. We were in a room that used to be the coal room for the furnace! Whenever we would ask for something, we were refused. One day I personally heard the hospital administrator say "We could bring anybody in off the street to do this job." He had no clue what MTs did. Personally, I thought he had the intelligence of an ant.

Very interesting, you guys. Have we developed - a bad reputation? Sure, our

[ In Reply To ..]
work is very narrow and we would tend to need to build competence on standard office programs, but would that alone account for this?

Average age is high. It may be part of our "identity."

We've had a shaking out of some of the people who once flooded into the field for "easy" work and didn't work out. Could they be part of it?

Of course, a glut of applicants on the clerical market.

Just musing here. What you're seeing is very dismaying -- and foolish on HR's part. We also have many, many extremely detail oriented and conscientious people, and with excellent English skills. Companies who need those will run through a number of new hires before finding one who matches most of us.
The problem is not the job, but the resume - presentation is the key
[ In Reply To ..]
The problem is not WHAT you did. It is not the JOB, but the way it is presented on the resume.

You have to present it in a way people can understand what it is.

No, HR folks do NOT know what MT is. Why would they when they have not had those positions for more than 10 or 20 years?

If they do know, they recognize it as a job done by a machine.

You know what MT is, and half of you still refer to it as typing, still underestimate your abilities, and still see it as "at-home" work. And half of you still attack anyone who offers job-seeking advice.

Presentation is indeed the key - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I have often said that one of the most serious errors an MT can make is to refer to him or herself as a "typist." I personally refused to hire anyone who called themselves that. If they did not know the difference between typing and transcribing, why should I hire them?

electronic applications - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
When you fill out an electronic application, it's determined by a computer whether or not you're right for the position. It's all about keywords. You have to tweak your resume, work experience descriptions, cover letter, etc., to match the keywords in the job ad. Letting the computer "weed" through the multitudinous number of resumes they get every day is just a way to reduce staff in the HR office.

If you want your resume to get noticed enough to get an interview, you have to please the almighty computer gods.

Here's another article about scribes, asserting that MTs are the best candidates - Joe

[ In Reply To ..]
http://smartype.com/id12.html

Similar Messages:

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

NY Times Article About Scribes
Jan 14, 2014

Our world is ever changing, do you fight it or find a way to advance with it.   Here is a NYtimes article about scribes..  It covers the third person in the room syndrome.     http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/health/a-busy-doctors-right-hand-ever-ready-to-type.html?emc=eta1&_r=0 ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Interesting Medquist Article
Aug 11, 2011

http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/110316/MEDQUIST-INC_10-K/ ...

Very Interesting Article To Read.
Mar 11, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226934/Indian-police-arrest-company-boss-accused-selling-medical-records-British-patients.html ...

Interesting Article About Nuance
Mar 22, 2012

I was reading an email about current trends in the industry and it talked about Nuance's acquisition of Transcend and how Nuance had acquired 43 companies since being in business, gaining some of those acquisitions by bullying competitors with lawsuits and then buying them out. Then I stumbled across this article on Bloomberg Businessweek. It's a little dated (May 2011) but quite interesting, especially the quote from the Dave Grannan, CEO of Vlingo: "Competing with Nuance is like havi ...

Stumbled Across An Interesting Article
Jul 12, 2012

It was from a 2011 article on SR ... the comments are being made by Lynn Kosegi from M*Modal: Someone else who has been very eloquently making the same case for a while is Lynn Kosegi of M*Modal. Lynn presented at AHDI Florida twice last year, at our technology workshop and at our annual meeting, and she explained that paying speech rec editors at 50% the line rate effectively punishes the best producers and those producers will ultimately be lost to the profession, replaced by transcription di ...

Thought This Was An Interesting Article
Jun 23, 2014

Personally, I think it would be great if we had TV commercials or radio commercials showing the impact and decline of the accuracy of patients' medical records and the starving of US MTs to death by greedy MTSOs offshoring to other countries. http://www.ahdilounge.org/index.php/2014/06/is-it-time-to-take-to-the-streets/ ...

Interesting Article Regards Apps And
Oct 24, 2014

From Boston Biz Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/health-care/2014/10/apps-the-next-frontier-to-the-electronic-medical.html?page=all ...

Interesting Article About Transcriptionists Not Going Away
Jun 10, 2015

I came across this today when I was searching info on medical transcription. I found it interesting when it said offshoring was once popular in the 90s... http://www.ahdpg.com/calling-all-transcriptionists-the-world-needs-you/ ...

Interesting Article On Spheris Buyout.
Jun 01, 2010

Below is the link to article. http://business.nashvillepost.com/2010/03/15/spheris-seeks-approval-for-850k-bonus-plan/ ...

Interesting Article About Tech & Worldview
Apr 11, 2015

See especially the paragraph about driving down wages and controlling hiring.  This reminds me of MM and N's recent calling of ex-employees, and the recent post about the ex-employee being BULLIED  (the post is on the board here).  ...

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Interesting Article About Fraudulent Scribing Practices
Mar 09, 2014

Hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to become a scribe. I don't think I could do what this scribe is asked to do. ...

The New MT -- Medical Scribes?
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Information About Scribes?
Nov 09, 2011

Can anybody give me information about scribes?  I just applied for a job that is for a medical transcriptionist/medical assistant which requires the transcriptionist to scribe for the doctor.  I'm concluding that you are in with the doctor and patient and basically just typing what he is saying during the appt rather than doc trying to treat the patient and document information at the same time.  Do these types of positions usually get paid higher than a transcriptionist?  Thanks for an ...

Medical Scribes...
Sep 13, 2012

Has anyone ever worked as a "Medical Scribe?" Will you tell me about it, please? ...

Physician Scribes
Jun 21, 2013

Physician scribe jobs have just come to my attention.  Been browsing the Internet and heard about it locally, too.  Can't find a really detailed description of what these scribes actually do in a day's work.  Anyone know?  Thanks! ...

Remote Scribes
Jun 24, 2013

We all know the frustration in dictation where they don't use a pause button, how our salaries dwindle to nothing as a result.  I noted an ad on the Job Seeker's Board to train to become a "remote scribe" for .07 to .08 CPL.  Doesn't it seem this would also dwindle to nothing as it seems there would be far more waiting for data to enter and would take forever to complete a line if you are working in real time.  Anyone have any info on how this would work? ...

MTs Will Make The Best Scribes
Sep 05, 2013

There is a budding new profession, for which MTs will be perfect.  It's explained in an article at http://smartype.com/id12.html.  Both the demand and the pay for transcription are dropping precipitously.  It's a good time to consider a career transition.  The tough part will be finding physicians who recognize that their lives will be immensely better if they have YOU doing all their EHR documentation...and that it's easily worth $40K per year. ...

Has Anybody Heard Of Scribes?
Oct 23, 2013

Has anybody heard of scribes?  Is this something that someone who has worked in medical transcription could possibly go into?  ...

Virtual Scribes
Apr 02, 2014

I ran across a company offering virtual scribes. Their scribes sound like a cross between transcriptionist, coding, assistant. It is done over the internet. The company I ran across is Physicians Angels. I could not find any career page to check out possible positions/requirements, and I don't know if it is done by ILPs, although their office is in the states. Anyone heard of virtual scribes and know of other companies that do this? Always looking for a way to break away from ...

Med-scribes In Naples, FL
May 07, 2014

Any information is appreciated...in particular, having to work too many accounts and OOW situations. THANK YOU. ...

PAY FOR VIRTUAL SCRIBES
Jun 12, 2015

My question is this...if you were working as a virtual scribe (via hipaa compliant video) from home what would you expect the pay per patient to be? Not hourly, just per patient that you documented and turned in to your supervisor at end of day...keep in mind you'd probably be on video about 4 hours a day. I'm really interested to see the responses to this question. ...

Scribes - Starting Salary
Mar 30, 2010

I do medical transcription for a local specialty practice.  They are transitioning to EHR and gave notice to their MTs that they would be cutting back on their MT needs starting next week.  Today, the office mgr. called and asked if I would be interested in a Scribe position.  In short, I am.  The manager would like to learn my salary requirements.  I am thinking of asking to start at $10/hour.  Does that seem reasonable.  N.B. Idaho ranks 49/50 in per capita i ...

Are Scribes Taking MT Jobs Away?
Dec 04, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/11/trsi-to-train-medical-scribes.html?showComment=1291473665715#c222684303620260150 ...

Been Hearing A Lot About Medical Scribes
May 30, 2012

I have been hearing a lot about medical scribes.  I am wondering if the transcription companies are going to start losing accounts because the doctors are going to switch to this new way of doing the medical records.  Has this happened to anyone yet? ...