A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If you have a bad experience with an MT company... - me

Posted: May 18, 2011

And you quit that job or are fired, do you leave it off your resume?

Never been fired, but - VeteranMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I sure as heck have had my share of lousy jobs!! And I list them all on the resume.

But what if you have been fired? (sm) - Aunt Suze

[ In Reply To ..]
and it was your most recent job and it was all nitpicky QA. I mean really nitpicky. What if every QA score you ever got in your life was excellent and this last one had the patient was and the patient is and these were the only errors? What would you tell them? You can't very well tell them nitpicky on an application.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
If what happened was more than five years ago, I'd leave it off; however, you need to see the application to be certain how many years or jobs they "go back". Generally, speaking, the last five years is what's most relevant. MTSO ads always stress recent experience.

Highlight on your resume your most recent experience, and then do a summation paragraph to conglomerate all the prior work experience in that one paragraph.

Also, include a Strengths category (good attendance, editing skills, etc.).

Ultimately, do what your conscience allows. You've learned a lesson from this "bad experience." Give yourself permission to let the shadow go, and move forward.

Bonne chance [good luck]

Wishing you success.

resume question - BeenThereMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I only leave off companies that would create a big gap in work history. If I only survived for a week or so, I leave a company off my resume (and believe me, I know a ton of us who have been through this situation).

If you are asked about your work history, you can choose to carefully explain with minimal details why you left any or all companies. Using phrases like a "better opportunity came my way" or I "found a better fit for my work schedule and personal needs" works as an explanation.

You really should not have to explain your work history, other than amount of time and experience. You should just need to pass their tests.

In the usual business world, most companies will never give out information about a former employee, except dates of employment and whether you actually worked for the company. There are legal issues surrounding a company telling another company any information about a former employee.

So, don't list a previous supervisor as a reference. Most people request not to have their previous employers contacted, and especially not their current employer.

Good luck.

Good points. - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
I THINK the only question that prospective employers can safely/legally ask other than dates of employment is, "Would you re-hire her/him?"

If my information is incorrect, correct me.

Hmmm. They can ASK a whole lot more than that. It's CYAing - on the other end that limits the discussion, and

[ In Reply To ..]
to the best of my knowledge, the directives come from company attorneys, not labor laws. (That CYA ALWAYS keeps everyone from giving a little unofficial headsup is unlikely, although most are careful rule-followers. Nevertheless, a pregnant pause might slip down the line now and then.) But if I'm wrong about applicable law, also please correct me.
Ask But Don't Tell - SS
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone who worked in a legal capacity made a comment that that's all they can ask nowadays.

This is my applicable law: I don't offer to be an "oral" personal reference anymore, nor do I ask someone to be my "oral" personal reference anymore. However, I am willing to write a letter of reference for someone if I can give the letter to the prospective employee.

Good Points - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right; the only thing that they can ask is if the person is eligible for rehire.
Response - SS
[ In Reply To ..]
Is that a state-by-state labor law?

By the way, when I started transcribing, I transcribed on an IBM 65 Selectric. Please tell me you've heard of that contraption.
Some of you guys are going to get these kids in trouble. You meant - to say that many past employers will only ANSWER t
[ In Reply To ..]
question of whether the employee is eligible for rehire.

A number of people have been stating this backwards. I just googled employer reference check and copied this from what came up at the top of the list:

"Sample Reference Check Questions

When did (name) work for your company? Could you confirm starting and ending employment dates? When did s/he leave the company?
Why did (name) leave the company?
What was her/his starting and ending salary?
What was her/his position? Can you describe the job responsibilities?
Could I briefly review (name's) resume? Does the job title and job description match the position that (name) held?
Did (name) miss a lot of work? Was s/he frequently late? Were there any issues you are aware of that impacted her/his job performance?
Did s/he get along well with management and co-workers?
Was (name) promoted while with your company?
Did (name) supervise other employees? How effectively? If I spoke to those employees, how do you think they would describe (name's) management style?
How did (name) handle conflict? How about pressure? Stress?
Did you evalute (name's) performance? Can you speak to his/her strong and weak points? What was noted as needing improvement during this performance review?
What was (name's) biggest accomplishment while working for your company?
Would you rehire (name) if the opportunity arose?
If I describe the position we are hiring for to you, could you describe how good a fit you think (name) would be for the position?
Can you describe this person's experience working as a member of a team?
Is there anything I haven't asked that you would like to share with me?"

Most companies big enough to have employees handle for them this stuff don't want them spending valuable time answering questions, plus they don't want to run the risk of an ex-employee ammunition (real or manufactured) for a lawsuit, so most callers are disposed of briefly. But, strictly speaking, they certainly CAN be asked, and a lot more, and some well-positioned former higher-ups may just be happy to sit back and spend some time explaining how wonderful you are and helping you out all they can.
I've been asked all those questions as a reference - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
But that was as a personal reference, not verifying employement, which are two different things. As a person who just won a lawsuit against a former employer, I can tell you all they can offer is hire start/end and whether they would rehire the person, and most don't want to answer that second question anymore.
questions asked and answered - a1typist
[ In Reply To ..]
My husband and I own one of the largest flower shops in the nation. In his business, they will not even answer the rehire question, as it opens you up to too many legal issues.

Similar Messages:

Experience Working For This Company?
Dec 29, 2009

Does anyone have experience working for this company? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

On-the-Mark Anybody Have Any Experience With This Company?
Apr 22, 2011

nm ...

ALPHA Transcription - Any Experience With This Company?
Jan 04, 2011

Has anyone had any experience with this company?  I sent my resume for a job posting and was contacted right away.  The fishy thing (to me anyway) was that they didn't even want me to TEST for the position!  What is that about?  EVERY MT position I have EVER been a candidate for has wanted me to test.  But nope, I had a phone interview and the next thing I know I am being offered a position.  RED FLAG? ...

Alliance MT - Recent Experience With This Company?
Feb 15, 2012

Does anybody have any recent experience with this company? ...

Would This Company Hire With No Transcription Experience
May 27, 2012

My neighbor calls me to help her get through the test for the company..Im like really,, if you cant get past the test how the heck are you going to do the job..No I wont help you..Im afraid she used me as a referal and no way would I refer her...A 6-month LPN course doesnt make you a transcriptionist, obviously, since she needed help with the practical part of the test that can all be googled anyway...So tired of people thinking because we work from the house that we are idiots and just typ ...

My Company Merger/buyout Experience
Mar 08, 2014

I had an administrative role at my company before it was taken over by a big player. The following things happened. 1. The supervisors at my company were demoted to MTs unless they had a college degree and were willing to travel extensively. 2. The QA staff were kept but their pay changed from hourly to production with strict quotas. Almost immediately they had to QA terrible work from other countries. Every one of them quit before long because they made about half of what they previously made ...

Anybody Have Experience With National Medical Transcription Company?
Oct 07, 2010

I received a job interview for an IC position with a company called National Medical Transcription with headquarters in New York.  Has anybody worked with this company? My main concern was that the company does not offer direct deposit but rather issues a check via mail.  Next concern is a "transparent" means of tallying up productivity for 65 character lines and spaces included. I would appreciate any feedback from present or past contractors. Thank you. ...

Patient First Transcription - Any Recent Experience With This Company
Dec 14, 2011

Wondered if anyone has any recent experience with this company. Considering an offer but hesitant because of long delays in communication with HR. Thanks.     ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - Company That Will Hire With No Experience
Jan 30, 2014

Just graduated from MT school and I am having a lot of trouble finding a company that will hire with no experience... any advice?? thanks!   Jenn ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

I Want To Find A Different Company, But My Fear Is That MQ Will Only Swallow That Company
Jul 15, 2011

up and I'd be back at square one, making no more than their "maximums."  I wonder, are this new maximum pay going to stay the same (or lower)?  I mean, in 5 or 10 years (if we are still here) will it be the same?  Or less?  I think so. ...

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

What Would Be An Ideal Company? I Would Like To Build That Company.
Mar 31, 2010

We are a pretty big company, and we think we know what transcriptionists want, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  There are a lot of top people in our industry that are finding themselves without jobs, often without notice, both managers and transcriptionists.  I think that the tide is turning, and that we need to make sure that we treat our people right, so if you could take a few minutes and answer this, maybe we can make a difference.  I am asking for real answers, ones that ar ...

I Wanted To Add A Company To The Bad Company List And
Apr 21, 2012

one to stay away from.  Integrity.  They test you, claim they are checking your references and then when you email asking if they got hold of the references, crickets.  Not a word from them.  This has been a few weeks, too.  If they are this rude just during the recruiting process, I hate to think what working for them would be like. ...

MDOfficeManager (company) - Anyone Have Information On This Company?
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone heard of a company called MDOfficeManager?  I was interested but I do not like the way they require SSN and other personal information up front before allowing the applicant to proceed with other parts of the application, including online tests.  I have heard there are fake websites for job applications.  Thanks. ...

Nuance... Bad Company Or Worst Company Ever.
May 15, 2015

Some days are more aggravating than others with this company.   ...

In Your Experience
Nov 10, 2009

I have seen that some MTs work two or three companies at a time and during the same hours.  Can you tell me if this was working with the same platform and same computer?  ...

Do You Think MT Experience Will Help In Getting An MR Job?
Feb 11, 2010

There is a hospital in my area that has 2 jobs I am interested in, one is a records analyst and the other is a records clerk.  I am definitely ready to start working outside of the home, but I fear my MT experience will not help me much in getting one of these jobs.  I am just wondering what you all think or if I should bother to apply.  I am thinking they are going to want people with hospital experience.  Thanks a bunch for any information!! ...

MD-IT..any Experience?
Apr 12, 2010

Hi.  I was recently hired as an employee with MD-IT.  I filled out all my paperwork, did my computer audit, background check, etc. and was supposed to call at 9:00 a.m. this morning to begin downloading their transcription platform.  Well, I called and got voicemail.  I left a message and have not heard back.  To me, if you have an appointment scheduled, you should be available for that appointment.  I'm sure they would expect nothing less from me.  I real ...

Experience.
Jun 08, 2010

I have been noticing that the experience level required to even get looked at for an MT job has went up. The 2 year experience mark has now went to 3 in most postings, and alot more postings are stating they want a minimum of 5 years. It is an up hill battle in an already hard market but with these kind of requirements I supose the seasoned MT's can rest a little easier and the newbies I guess can look for another line of work. I have already switched my gears and will finish my MA deg ...

Too MUCH Experience?
Jul 23, 2010

I am trying to figure why I never get a call-back on job applications anymore.  For instance I applied at one company who was advertising a week or so ago, I'm sure I did perfectly or almost so on the test, never heard from them, and yet now they are advertising again.   My range is not great, mostly ER and clinic, so maybe this is the issue but I have applied for these positions recently to no avail. I have 16 years experience and I wonder if they think I will want too much ...

How To Get Experience W/o Job & Job W/o Experience?
Sep 18, 2010

it's the old question - how to get acute care experience that everyone wants - when none of the local hospitals are hiring for MT (I've checked).  I could try "cold calling" doctor's offices and see who does their transcription (unless they have some kind of digital chart system - fill in the appropriate boxes on their laptops - I think our family doc uses that system). I actually had "formal" hospital acute care training 11 years ago - so seems like a lifetime ago.  Th ...

Can Anyone Please Tell Me Their Experience With...sm
Nov 22, 2010

eTransPlus?  I am considering sending my resume but can't afford to waste time with yet another joke.    Thanks much! ...

TTD QA Experience Anyone?
Mar 04, 2011

Anyone with any experience with TTD (The Transcription Doctors) in QA-just wondering how QA by the line works, also curious about how this company operates, or anything else that anyone wants to enlighten me on.  Archive information is old  and not that great at times, and would like some up to date information-good or bad.  You may email me if you would like.  Thank you fellow worker bees! ...

My Experience With TTS
May 26, 2011

I just wanted to let anyone who may be interested know what my experience with TTS has been recently.  A job for a Delta Team member was advertised, for which I applied with my resume and cover letter.  It's worth noting here that I meet every qualification in the ad.  The job sounded like it was difficult, but I applied as I wanted a salaried position.  I received an e-mail from *******, the same one who was sent packing from another MTSO last year.  The e-mail gave all sorts of inf ...

No Experience No Job - No Job No Experience
Jul 30, 2011

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the situation of not having enough experience to get a job but not being able to get the experience if you don't get a job.  I have skiills and talent out the wazoo - I've passed numerous transcription tests - and I nearly always get a quick response to my application and resume submission.  HOWEVER, because i've never worked in a hospital and my 10 years of experience was more than three years ago - AND because I that experience w ...

TTS - Your Experience?
Sep 27, 2011

Do they really pay only 7 cents a line??  Unbelievable.  Do they base it on your experience?  Thanks for any feedback. ...

Your Experience?
Oct 27, 2011

Early on, when your experience was nil, how did you handle the struggle of trying to get your line count up while being challenged with ESL dictators as your training deadline date approached? ...