A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Common errors - An MME

Posted: Apr 12, 2012

PLEASE NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!  This is truly meant to be helpful, not snotty, threatening, or negative so I expect the same in return.

Military time:  Lately I have seen a lot of reports where people are inserting colons in military time.  Colons are NOT used for military time unless the hour, minute, AND seconds are given.  If the CP states that time is transcribed "3:00 a.m." this is for "regular" time and not military time.

Spacing:  TWO spaces after periods that end a sentence and all colons (except in ratios).

Dates and commas:  Bobby was born on March 31, 2012, at the hospital.  NOT Bobby was born March 31, 2012 at the hospital.  For some reason, a lot of people are forgetting that final comma after the year.  (Also for example,  Bobby was born 03/31/2012 at the hospital. and NOT Bobby was born 03/31/2012, at the hospital.)

Unless CP states otherwise, it is acceptable to phonetically spell names, including doctor's names.  Save yourself submissions to QA.  As a QA, if I can't find the name, I spell it phonetically (again unless CP states otherwise).

Misuse of commas:  I see this a lot "CBC, white count 14, hematocrit 36, hemoglobin 13."  As a QA, I am always going to correct this to use a colon as follows "CBC:  White count..."

Also a NOT:  The patient got an injection of morphine, and went crazy.

Should be:  The patient got an injection of morphine and went crazy.

Run on sentences:  Example of a NOT:  The patient went to the hospital and got an injection of IV morphine, toradol, and phenergan, then she went to the bathroom, got sick and came back into the room. 

Should be:  The patient went to the hospital and got an injection of morphine, toradol, and phenergan; then she went to the bathroom, got sick and came back.  (or use a period where the semicolon is)

Now please don't reply and say something like "there is no such thing as a white count of 14," etc.  I am sure my sentences are not technically correct.  I am just using examples to get my point across about grammar and punctuation. 

Thanks, but your Bobby example - confused me

[ In Reply To ..]
You changed the comma from the March 31 example to the 03/31 example...didn't you? I keep reading it and it is conflicting...to me, anyway. I wish we would get help from our QC instead of a hand slap.

I mean.... - An MME

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean depending on which way they dictate it or if the CP states the date is supposed to be typed a certain way. For the long date, you use a comma after the year, but if you use the short way, there is no comma after the year. Better?

Thank you for the help..Constructive critism always welcome - :-) no message

[ In Reply To ..]
X

If I put two spaces in after a period it is called padding the report!!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
NM
No, it's called standard typing rules. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Standard is 2 unless CP says otherwise - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

her comma examples for dates are correct. sm - Fossil

[ In Reply To ..]
Long date version: March 31, 2012,

Short version: 03/31/2012 (no commma)

DATES - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it all depends on who is doing the QA on that day. I have been dinged for not putting a comma after 2012 (04/12/2012, blah blah blah). Most of the accounts I type on use the 00/00/0000. I finally conformed to their way, got a different QA who dinged me for putting the comma. No matter what, I am wrong (and that is putting it nicely).

Just do what's right. - Some MMEs should not be MMEs

[ In Reply To ..]
The OP is correct. An MME can be wrong too, but as long as we are doing the right thing, it won't be our butts.

style - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I would like to see more of this type of post regarding style and rules along with our other discussions. Very helpful.

Bravo! These are same things that irritate me also. - Fossil

[ In Reply To ..]
However, 3:00 a.m. (which is an on-the-hour expression) should be 3 a.m.

Another pet peeve of mine is: The patient is a 50-year-old man that was admitted to the hospital.... I always change "that" to "who". A person is a "who" and an object is a "that".

but watch CP, - SOSDD

[ In Reply To ..]
have one that says:
dictated: 3 p.m.
transcribed 3:00 P.M.

lets all pray for some kind of standardization.

Good stuff, my pet peeves are with dashes/conjunctions - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I still see follow-up when it should be followup.

Also words that can be put together are pulled apart: Example brainstem not brain stem, gallbladder not gall bladder, anterolateral not anterior-lateral, parietooccipital not parietal-occipital, and so on.

I have dug and dug on the followup/follow up/follow-up - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If anybody can clarify this, I would be very grateful. I usually put follow-up if you can put a, the, etc. in front of it. For example, "The patient will have a follow-up CT scan." If it is a verb, I put follow up. For example, "The patient will follow up with his PCP." So am I close?

AHDI book of style 3rd addition - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Look on bottom of page 132 and top of 133 in this book if you have it.

The examples are

She has a followup appointment with me on Tuesday.

She will be seen in followup on Tueday.

She will follow up with me on Monday.
A little trick.... - SH
[ In Reply To ..]
If you can replace the word with "eat" and it makes sense, use "follow up" as two words.

Examples: I will follow up (eat) with the patient in 2 weeks.

The patient is to follow up (eat) in my office in a week.

I've personally NEVER used it hyphenated, either at school or on the job. For me it's either one word or two.

Caught on Sentence Example - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew what you said about the dates and colon usage was correct, but when you gave examples of how to use commas in a sentence, I knew it didn't sound right, so I checked. Your examples:

Run on sentences: Example of a NOT: The patient went to the hospital and got an injection of IV morphine, toradol, and phenergan, then she went to the bathroom, got sick and came back into the room.

Should be: The patient went to the hospital and got an injection of morphine, toradol, and phenergan; then she went to the bathroom, got sick and came back. (or use a period where the semicolon is)

There actually should be a comma before the last "and." I'm still not sure about first "and" in the sentence.

Here's the rule I found: Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and ran to first base." You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese). Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma.

Here is how I understand your sample sentence should be: The patient went to the hospital, and got an injection of IV morphine, toradol, and phenergan, then she went to the bathroom, got sick, and came back into the room.

Probably my biggest pet peeve about the ASR - is that it leaves off the

[ In Reply To ..]
comma before the final "and." I fix this a million times a day.

Learn something new all the time - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I often check grammar girl website for stuff like this. I was told in a list that the comma before the last "and" was not necessary. EX: "The patient is advised to stay away from apples, walnuts and peas" "The patient is advised to stay away from apples, walnuts, and peas" However, she says she prefers the use of the last comma though the other is acceptable especially in newspapers as they are also worried about space as it does not change the sentence. I love her website.

and I've been told by my QA to not bother, either way is fine nm - SOSDD

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Another one: - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The patient had bronchitis; however, he did not have pneumonia.

The patient is alert and oriented, however not very reliable.

Oh, and: A followup appointment versus to follow up in the office.

Semicolon - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
You listed this as one of your pet peeves: "The patient had bronchitis; however, he did not have pneumonia."

This may be a pet peeve of yours, but the sentence above you gave as an example of being wrong is actually correct.

Here's the rule: You use a semicolon when you join two independent clauses together with one of the following conjunctive adverbs (adverbs that join independent clauses): however, moreover, therefore, consequently, otherwise, nevertheless, thus, etc. For example: It rained heavily during the afternoon; however, we managed to have our picnic anyway.

I truly do appreciate feedback from the MMEs, but please, please, please check the rules first before advising others.

I was giving examples of how it should be done. - Poster above. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
semicolon - Sigh
[ In Reply To ..]
I am absolutely not paid enough to worry about a trivial semicolon when a comma will work just fine. This is silly.

Your other sentence example is also wrong - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
Your other sentence example is also wrong. This is what you said not to do:
"The patient got an injection of morphine, and went crazy." This is exactly what you should do.

Here's the rule: Use a comma after the first independent clause when you link two independent clauses with one of the following coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet. Example: I am going home, and I intend to stay there.

It's not an independent clause and should not have a comma. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

not an independent clause - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
went crazy is not an independent clause so there should be no comma. I think the first poster is correct that this example is wrong.

sorry, didnt realize someone already said this - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Admit I was wrong on that one!! - Alias
[ In Reply To ..]
I missed it not having a pronoun.

The OP is correct. No comma - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can split split the sentence where the conjunction is and it makes 2 separate sentences, then use a coma like:

"The patient got an injection of morphine, and the MT went crazy."

Commas - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
I was taught in high school and college that if you put a comma, the next words have to be able to stand alone as a sentence. If you type blah blah blah, and I went home, then the "I went home" can stand alone, but "and went home" can't stand alone.

spacing - Working MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is the thing with spacing. When we were forced into ASR, this wonderful program was supposed to automatically load the spacing in so we did not have to think about it. I refuse to change the spacing that comes through on my work which is ALWAYS 1 space after a period. I am not going to go around the whole report and add 1 space after every single sentence when this program was supposed to make these subtle changes for us. We were also told that it was smart enough to change she to he, according to the sex in the ADT information. Have not seen that happen yet either.

agree, spacing is retarded - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Athough 2 is standard, as an MME - I was told

[ In Reply To ..]
to leave it alone unless it violates the CP or if it isn't consistent throughout the report.

He/She? - Carrie

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, that's pretty remarkable that ASR would change "she" to "he," according to the ADT info. I don't think I'd want it to, even though we all know the dictators can often slip on the correct gender.

For instance, I've had lots of reports where, say, the patient is a male, but in the report, it states something like: "The patient's wife was at work when she got a call that the patient had passed out, and he was taken to the ER."

Seems like it would be a mess if the ASR made every "she" into a "he" if the patient is a male.

also, a thing about the tagged headings - another MME

[ In Reply To ..]
I know everybody has been probably told different and I will be bullied and argued down about this, but unless the CP says not to, it is perfectly okay to add the red-tagged headings if they aren't dictated. For two reasons. One is for organization and aesthetics. Another, the biggest reason, is that some headings have special formatting instructions to be carried out in the final report. For example: Some clients set up the allergy heading to automatically cap, bold, underline or italicize anything underneath it until it hits another red-tagged heading. I have seen so many reports that haven't done this. If you look at the final report, if the allergy heading was put in and none other, everything under the heading including PE, labs, impression could be all bolded and capped.

For some reason, the trainers don't tell MTs what the red headings actually do. I found they don't explain tabs and tables either; a big no-no. In the final report, that table is a scrambled mess. If possible, we are to just do stacked left with colon, like a PE or ROS.

I think it would help us all if they explained what happens to the report when it leaves our hands.

Obey QTL also. I got dinged for adding red headers - that were not technically

[ In Reply To ..]
dictated that way, even though it made the report easier to read and kept the integrity. Told it was a no-no to "add" anything, even if it CLEARLY was the begininng of the physical examination or whatever.

True, obey your QTL, even if they could be wrong - as they do your audits.

[ In Reply To ..]
My QTL told me what the poster said above. It's funny how the people you have to listen to are never on the same page. Was she being client specific or as a general rule?

common errors - kittykat

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. I wish I would see more common mistakes that I am sure I am guilty of making. I strive to be professional.

Commas after date - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
As far as commas, how about "He will return March 13, for further rehabilitation."

Why is there a comma after March 13? This is not a full date. I know we are supposed to insert a comma after a date like March 13, 2012, if sentence continues.

I was audited because I did not type a comma after March 13 (above in first sentence).

Another question - TK

[ In Reply To ..]
This is so helpful! Thank you very much for posting this. I do have a question, though, and I'm sure you can help me with it...When typing a city and state in a sentence, would a comma go after the state, i.e.: The patient lives in Miami, Florida, and was seen by her PCP.

Yes - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

THIS WAS THE BEST THREAD I HAVE SEEN HERE - Trying to fix things

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead of fighting and complaining..If we can out do the Indians on a regular basis its is our best shot..I know for a fact the doctors I go to cringe when they get reports back...We talk about my work and they tell me all kinds of horror stories..

Similar Messages:

1 Point Errors, Critical Errors.
Dec 08, 2012

I get dinged for leaving out words like the, and others.  I am now understanding that this is not the correct policy, that others are not getting critical error, major error, off one point for this.  So, am I being singled out? Because I thought this was the norm.  I'd like to know so that while I am hanging on every word and will continue to do so, I thought I was not the only one with this...thanks in advance for the update.  ...

Common Practice
Jan 11, 2012

Is is common practice if you are placed on hold to pay them back 3/4 of your pay?? Is everything out there like this? ...

DUH! COMMON SENSE TIP OF THE TIP
Jan 08, 2015

During your search for work, if you see a "transcription company" seeking one of us for immediate work due to falling desperaetly behind on contracts, check some of the MT forums. If MT's are trashing said "transcription company" and you see a lengthy, detailed defensive response from said "transcription company"; think......maybe the reason the said "transcription company" is behind on their contracts is because they are not utilizing someone, who has the time and ability to reply at great ...

Venting - Common Sense
Feb 24, 2011

I swear, these so-called intelligent doctors have no common sense at all.  Let's see how much noise we can have in the backgroun and talk as fast as we possibly can to see if the transcriptionist can get my dictaion right. This guy talks so fast I don't even know how he can get the words clearly out of his mouth, then he must have called someone on speaker phone because I can hear the phone ringing and ringing and ringing, and then his pager goes off which of course he pulls close ...

What Happened To Common Courtesy
Dec 22, 2011

I have a friend who had an accident last weekend, an MT, broke her right arm and right lower leg, she called and left a voice mail wtih her supervisor because she had no other way to contact her on the weekend.  She then called again Monday morning before going back for surgery on her leg and left another VR for the supervisor, her daughter followed up with an e-mail explaining what had happened and do you believe this company has not even acknowledge it, not even to say we are so sorry, ho ...

The Common Carotid Was Encircled With A
Mar 26, 2012

xx ...

Common Hyphen Error
Nov 03, 2012

I used to teach grammar and I now do MT work.  One of the most common hyphen errors lies in the short arm cast, long arm cast. This does not get hyphenated.  By hyphenating it (short-arm cast), one is actually stating there's also a long arm.  It's a short (or long) cast that is worn on the arm, not a cast for a short arm or a long arm.   ...

Oferax ? In Rt Common Femoral Artery
Oct 29, 2009

Wow!!!  This is an angiogram of carotids via femoral artery.......cannot find this anywhere!!! ...

Help!! OP Report S/l Vena Common Tantes Sm
Apr 27, 2010

Surgery report The ulnar nerve was freed up.  The 2 heads of the flexor carpi ulnaris were identified.  The "vena common tantes" were protected.  ?? I have no clue. ...

Common Bile Duct Exploration
Dec 15, 2011

This is for doing a common bile duct exploration:  The common bile duct is slightly enlarged.  No other s/l piditive obstructive lesions are demonstrated.    Thanks for any help! ...

Is It Common To Not Be Able To Meet Line Counts?
Feb 13, 2013

Is it common to not be able to meet line counts at Nuance? I have been there close to 3 months and cannot make my line count basically due to having some many ESLs and having to correct so many things in VR. Very frustrated!! ...

No Autocorrect Or Grammer Check - Is This Common?
May 17, 2014

Is it common to NOT have tab functions, auto correct, or a grammar checker on a  "transcription program".    We just got Inscribe and it is about as basic as it comes, not Word comparable - not even close - without tabs, Autocorrect or grammar check. I feel like I'm in the dark ages here.    ...

Lately The Doctors Have Been Spelling Out So Many Common Words
Jun 11, 2014

Lately the doctors have been spelling out so many common words, some are even enunciating fully now, which is nice, the enunciating not the spelling, that wastes my time..Makes me think that our out of country counterparts are maybe messing up in a HUGE way..Most of us know the words/phrases/slang they use and fix it. I just see so much in docqumanage that makes my jaw drop. ...

Copying Common In Electronic Medical Records Sm
Jan 05, 2013

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/copying-common-in-electronic-medical-records ...

*parasigna Rivalum* The Most Common Insidious Wing Scapula?? Thanx. Nm
Nov 22, 2011

nm ...

Is It Common To Have A Limited Amount Of Work During The Summer Season?
Aug 05, 2012

I'm curious if this is throughout a lot of MT companies where the summer seasons are the slowest in terms of receiving work. I used to have an abundunt amount of doctors to transcribe for across multiple accounts, but now all of a sudden that has changed, and I am almost always out of work and I no longer transcribe for what I'm estimating as half to 3/4 of the list of docs. Is this something normal? Do doctors get together and take a 3-month hiatus at once, or something...? I'm p ...

There Was Evidence Of A Prior Biliary Sphincterotomy And There Was A Patent Opening Into The Common
May 06, 2011

xx ...

QA Errors
Oct 30, 2014

What do I do if QA marks me for a major error but I think they made a mistake? The really wierd part is that the feedback page says it was NOT modified. Seems so strange to me that QA wouldn't modify a report with a major error.  ...

Can I Have Some Opinions Please, Re Errors,
Dec 08, 2009

Does anyone here believe that sending a copy to the wrong doctor is a critical error?  I am beginning to feel picked on.  ...

CRITICAL ERRORS
Jun 15, 2010

Has anyone at the Q been getting hit by "critical errors" on crazy stuff that has never been an issue BEFORE?   All of the sudden, after no feedback for about a month, no audits, nada, zilch, I got my audit and was given critical feedback for not capitilizing a department! (recovery room, radiology suite, cardiac cath lab...)  AND, in a verbatim report, with a client profile that says specifically, DO NOT ADD A HEADING IF ONE IS NOT DICTATED, for NOT adding a heading!  This makes me nuts ...

SYNTAX ERRORS:
Aug 15, 2010

If we get a "syntax error" message on a post we have just made, how do we get back in to correct the error without losing the entire post?  Every so often I forget, and put an apostrophe in the subject line, and end up losing the entire post.  I've tried the "back" button, "Alt-Z" (undo), etc., but it's all gone once that syntax message appears. ...

Documentation Errors
Sep 15, 2010

I work in a surgery center/clinic in medical transcription. I have never worked in the medical field before, so I'm not sure what is acceptable. We get massive amounts of documentation errors from the nurses in the surgery center and in the clinic. Is this usually acceptable?! Is it normal for a transcriptionist to be required to scan over the chart and correct all of their errors or should this be the responsibility of the nursing staff? It's DRIVING me up a wall! I'd say 75 ...

What Is Your Job Like When You Get Overflow? What About Errors?
Mar 08, 2011

I am a relatively new MT with a pretty good track record at my current job. I have been working there for about 6 months. Well, we just got a new acct, and my company was understaffed. I have been working myself to death. I should be able to do more, but I am a new MT, and I do not type very fast (about 55-60 wpm, slower when I am tired). They have a certain amt of mins of dication you are supposed to complete each day, and they have been giving me more than that. I have been completing what I c ...

Errors Used As Amunition
Nov 03, 2011

I hate when the supervisors hold on to errors you have made not showing them until YOU have done something that upsets them.  tired of it. ...

Medical Errors With EMR
Sep 23, 2012

Has anyone heard of complaints with erroneous information in medical records due to EMR or point and click? My mother recently had to get medical clearance for joint surgery. Her physician went to some form of EMR. They questioned why she was taking a narcotic cough suppressant and insulin listed under her medications in the computer. She was shocked and stated she had never taken those meds. Another family member, who does not drink, got a copy of his most recent physical required yearly f ...

Transcription Errors
Mar 01, 2013

I have been working for Nuance since November. Not my choice, BTW. Does anyone look at their FIESA alerts when they are sent to your email? I am wondering how much experience some of those people have. I have seen errors that they say I did that, after my 31 years of experience doing transcription, I know I did not or would never do. I had one yesterday that said the error was "will follow with you". The correction they put was "will follow with you". Now correct me if I am wrong, but I think th ...

QA And QC Making Up Errors
Mar 23, 2013

I have been working for Nuance for 5-1/2 years now.  I, of course, consider myself a very conscientious and diligent MLS.  Lately, I have noticed "mistakes" that I really DO NOT BELIEVE I made.  Here is an example "800 calorie ADA diet".  Supposedly I did not blank out the 800.  I believe I would have, as 800 calorie diet would have set up an alarm in my head, for sure.  I want to know if others are having the same problem.  Also there is a spot where supposedl ...

Major Errors?
May 28, 2013

Does anyone else run into this? I get all these major error reports from Fiesa, all of a sudden, one after another, with errors that I know, after 15 years of doing this job, I would not have made. I know with certainty that these errors would not escape me.  Anyone else get this kind of BS? ...

Now Emails Regarding Errors
Jul 05, 2013

For the past few days, I've been getting system generated emails with my errors. Anyone else?? So just want to leave... I may end up doing so by end of day. ...

Anybody Else Getting A Lot Of Major Errors QC1 Lately?
Oct 06, 2013

I know these don't count towards bonuses etc but it still unnerves me to open my email nearly every day and seeing these stupid alerts with my percentage in the tank.  Some of them I take full credit for others I dispute but it still shakes me up so therefore some of the mistakes I make is just because I am nervous about literally everything I type.  ...