A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How long does it take you??....600 lines...sm - Lolabug

Posted: Apr 12, 2010

How long does it take you to type 600 lines?  I am considering taking an at-home position in addition to my in-house transcription position.  The minimum line count for this company is 1800 lines a week and I'd like to not have to work more than three days a week for them, which would be 600 lines per day.  I believe I'd be typing straight into Word, so the only quick-text I'd be using is the Microscoft AutoCorrect.  I would be transcribing clinic notes with doctors that I am already familiar with.  Just wondering how much time I should be prepared for in order to make the 600-a-day mark.  TIA! 

I can answer that--but my answer ONLY applies to me. - CrankyOldBroadOnTheBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
How many lines per hour one can type depends on many, MANY factors....

With my full-time job at Transcend, doing straight typing (as opposed to editing) I average upwards of 200 LPH, usually. This includes as much use of "normals" and copying and pasting from sample reports I've saved as I can possibly do. This job entails checking the demographics screens and sometimes adding bits of information to them; and occasionally looking up the patient in the database to pull in the demographics. My lines per hour calculation factors in all of that. It also includes all the research I might have to do (looking up unfamiliar doctors' names online, that sort of thing).

With my one remaining local account, a doctor's office where the work is very, VERY familiar, typing in Word and using a lot of expander shortcuts, the last time I actually timed myself and did the math, I hit 475 LPH. This job requires no demographic information lookup; only typing the patient's name and the date of the visit, and (occasionally) verifying the patient name spelling against the copy of the day sheet that's provided, if the dictator doesn't spell it for me (which he often does). This job also requires pretty much no research at all, since the doc never really throws out anything new, and I've worked in the local medical community for 38 years so the names are familiar.

The more expansions, shortcuts and other toys you can use, the faster you'll go.

I have been told over the years that I type frighteningly fast.... I have NO idea how many WPM I type, but I can ALMOST keep up with dictators who don't go at warp speed when they talk. Not quite, but almost.

So again... how many hours per week it will take you to type 1800 lines is impossible to answer. Do you have any way at your in-house job of calculating your average lines per hour, so you can at least get some point of reference to work with?

Makes me sad - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to type "frighteningly fast," but since Speech Recognition, I spend so much time with my hands off the keys and on the arrows and mouse that my speed has gone bye-bye. So much for SR improving production.

How long does it take you now? Go from there... - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

2 to 2-1/2 hours. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

2 1/2 hours- maybe 3 - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
when I was working I could get 600 lines in approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You stated you are familiar with the dictators so that is a plus. I have in the past typed into the Word program with just autotext and still had no problems. but you have to take into consideration if you have to research any unfamiliar places, words, etc. Good luck.

how long - fastfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I think if you use your word expanders as well as the other poster does--create your own sample file and normals and then just cut and paste into your reports. You will probably take a little time to get up to speed but I'm sure you can do it.

It takes me about 4 hours, approximately - 150 LPH NM

[ In Reply To ..]
No message

Yep takes me 4 hours on the "stuff" I get now. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

How Long To Complete 550 Lines?
Apr 17, 2014

The company I am testing with requires 550 lines per day for part time.  I know there are many factors, but on average how many hours does that take?  I currently work part time and get paid by the hour.   I have never been paid by the line.  I really like my current job, but may be laid off in June or July.   For now, I would do both jobs.  I also have two young children and don't want to take on too much.  Any info would be great! ...

How Long Does It Normally Take To Transcribe 1000 Lines On Average?
Dec 29, 2011

I know this can vary of course.  I have built up my shorthand to over 12,000 entries.  I really think I have my speed up considerably but have been paid by the hour working on straigt typing with tapes for some time now.  We are going to VR and may need to pick up a second job to take up the slack in work.  Can someone give me some idea of what to expect in time to take on another PT or FT position (depending on the amount of downtime I will have soon)? ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

How Long Does It Take.....sm
Mar 26, 2010

Geez!  I was hired by a national last Friday.  It is a full week later, and they haven't even gotten all the paperwork done.  I thought I had completed it all and then they said human resources forgot a few papers.  Well, they have yet to email them to me today.  I thought I would be at least training by now.  It has been a full week.  I mean they still have to install software on my computer, and I still have to train on ES and the account specs.  Ge ...

NJA- How Long Do We Have To Sit Here?
May 31, 2010

My shift was supposed to start at 8, it is now 8:15 and only 1 job has come through.   Can I send my email and be done with it or once a job comes through do I wait another 15 minutes?   ...

How Long Would It Take?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it might take, on average, to type 60 minutes' worth of dictation?  Thank you! ...

Sorry, Rather Long
Nov 21, 2010

This is in the PE section of a consult and the patient is alert but sedated.   ...The neurologic is ( s/l tense) and is intact.  Pulses in the periphery are good.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Sally ...

Why Does It Take So Long?
Mar 08, 2011

Anyone out there notice this?  That it takes twice as long to do an op note anymore in ASR what with all the cutting, pasting, standards, going back to check whether or not to delete headings, blah, blah.  It used to be a cinch to simply bring in one of my standards and make the appropriate changes according to the audio, but now with ASR, it takes twice as long.  I feel like I'm running in place and going nowhere just to make ASR learn something.  It's such a waste ...

How Long
Apr 01, 2011

How long does it take to find a new job with so many people looking for work.  ...

It Has Been A Long Day...
Apr 14, 2011

The patient did some googling and recognized the tightness he was having may have been from a heart attack... Should I capitalize googling?    ...

Need A Job? (long)
Mar 01, 2012

Started working for my current office 7 years ago.  Worked 1 year in the office then needed to work from home so went on contract.  Things were great, plenty of overtime, work as much or as little as I want and still have plenty of time to spend with my family.  After 4 years they could no longer offer me a contract per se, but still had plenty of work so I stayed with them.  Things changed, started having trouble getting my checks on time, sometimes would be becaus ...

How Long Were We Down?
Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember how long we have to be down to get downtime.  Seems like it has to be at least half an hour. ...

How Long Does It Take To Not Be Known As An MT
Jan 24, 2013

I have known where this 'profession' was headed for years; even in the late 1990s I knew. I earned the education that I need with both an associate degree and bachelor's degree (bachelor's degree from Big 10 university) and, still, many people view me as an MT, which we can all agree is not good. I have experience in my new line of work, and I have worked in that field in the past. How long is it really going to take before people do not view me with all the negative stereoty ...

You Know You Have Been Doing MT Too Long When
Apr 07, 2013

you are cleaning out your desk and find a magnetic tape eraser :)   Probably belongs in a museum :) ...

Wow--long Job
May 01, 2013

Edited a job that was 4689 long.  YIKES!  That is the biggest one I have done in a very long, long time.   ...

So Long MM
Mar 15, 2014

I've done my time! On to something else! I can't say my experience here has been terrible, certainly not as bad as some others I have seen, but I just feel it's time to go. Something else presented itself and I took it.  I'll still be checking in on you all once in awhile.  Would like to especially like to wish the potential coders well; I think that's a great opportunity! Wish me luck! ...

How Long Did It Take You To Get Off Of QA?
Dec 01, 2014

I have only been working a couple of months at Nuance and I am just wondering how long it takes to get off of QA and become DSP status.  It feels like QA is nitpicking me to death.  This is the longest I have ever been on QA before.  How long does it generally take to get off of QA.  My last audit was 99.85%.   I cannot seem to get a straight answer from my TSM either... ...

How Long On Non-DSP?
Jan 14, 2015

How long do newbies typically spend on non-DSP status, and besides not having to pend every report, what does it mean to be granted DSP status? ...

That Took Me Long Enough!
Mar 23, 2015

I quit today. No 2 weeks notice. No anything. "You won't ever be able to work for Nuance again if you do this." That's like saying, "You won't ever be able to hit yourself in the face with a hammer again if you throw it away."  There is NO WAY an MT can survive not knowing what they will make week to week. Who can budget like that? They can stick their "compensation plan" up their yin yang.  I am free!  :)  ...

How Long Does It Normally Take
May 27, 2015

Anybody know? ...

About How Many Lines?
Dec 10, 2010

Can anybody that types radiology tell me how on average about how many lines they do an hour or a day?  I am being switched to by the line and have always been paid by the report.  Thanks.  ...

TT Lines?
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone else struggle to get 2000 lines a day with TransTech?  I've been at TT for about 4-1/2 years, but I'm having a hard time getting over 2000 lines a day.  If you get more than 2000 a day in your 8 hours, can you share your tips?   ...