A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone here bought Wifi for traveling, did it - work, what kind did you get

Posted: May 26, 2015

I have an iPad, some friends have tablets and we are going on vacation soon. I am trying to find perhaps something without a contract such as with Verizon or the like and something suitable for traveling. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

travel - -

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm assuming you won't be doing MT during this vacation (good for you!). The hot spot on my Verizon cell works great (even better than AT&T sometimes), but don't know if that's an option for you. If any of your friends use a cell phone hot spot, you can sometimes connect to the Internet using theirs...they'll have a code you'd put into your cell phone or iPad.

To me working would not be a vacation so - none of that, do not work

[ In Reply To ..]
remote. I don't think my friends have a cell phone hot spot but will ask them, thanks.

Do you have an iphone? - RVer (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Xxx

No, never wanted iPhone. Have so many - other gadgets

[ In Reply To ..]
my computer at home, my iPad for FT, GPS, several of those, have WiFi for the traveling but mine did not seem to work that well when I used it last. I love my little flip phone and hope to keep that as long as I can.

I would invest in another on the road WiFi if I could find one that sounds like good one.

The iPhone is also a hotspot - RVer

[ In Reply To ..]
...which is why I asked. Use mine all the time. That way, no extra monthly rental.
I bought this gadget only for when I travel - bought minutes but
[ In Reply To ..]
tried last year and was not pleased. I am planning a trip with my friend and her children this next month. The kids are the ones who have my gadget and they were asking me today about it. I do not know what kind of phone they have but will ask them tomorrow. There are 3 iPad/tablets that will be using this while traveling. When you say you use it all the time and no extra charge, are you using the iPhone in connection with WiFi for travel or? Not sure what you mean by this. Thanks.
Info - RVer
[ In Reply To ..]
In order to have Internet connection, you either need to have an iPad that's got an Internet connection already (you would be paying for this thru your cell phone service, if so) or hook it to wifi like at your house or say, at a public wifi such as at a hotel or Starbucks or something. The other option is to rent a device like thru Verizon or whomever that is a hotspot. You pay a monthly rental, have an extra device to cart around, and you get a certain number of gigabytes with it. It's a mobile hotspot. But if you have an iPhone, you can turn on your mobile hotspot and you have a protected wifi that the only people who can access it are the ones you give your password to, like at home. You use your phone's data plan. I had to work like that once for several months because cable was not available to my house yet. Use it when we take the RV out all the time so I can still work.
OP-Thanks for the replies and I have gotten this - worked out
[ In Reply To ..]
I was unaware of how the iPhones work because I happen to have the flip phone by choice as I just love mine. My friend's daughter is traveling with us and she has an iPhone so after talking with her today we went to her carrier close by the house and purchased a month's worth of WiFi for the phone which includes the several tablets we have. Her younger brothers play mostly games on theirs, I check email or other sites on mine when out of town and the girl who has the iPhone, well she is a teenager so whatever they do, music, etc. The price paid was the same as I would have to pay for additional minutes on the gadget of mine. Thanks for the information given to me, it helped me to know which direction to go in, i.e. someone with an iPhone.
You are very welcome. Enjoy your time! - RVer
[ In Reply To ..]
Xx

Similar Messages:

Nuance Bought OSI And Keystrokes Bought Chartnet This Week. Any Others? Sm
Sep 26, 2010

Nuance bought Encompass recently, too.  I heard they are buying all the eScription companies.  I bet that Keystrokes gets bought by MQ soon.  What the heck is going on with all these companies buying each other?  Will there be anyone left?  ...

Wifi Hot Spot GB?
Oct 25, 2014

I need to know if I can transcribe 5 hours a day with a 5GB wallyworld wifi hot spot thing.  I can't get DSL where I live and my only option is the wifi.  I've been told everything from 3GB to 100GB will be necessary.  Can someone tell me what I need?  Thanks! ...

Laptop Wifi Booster
Mar 02, 2015

I bought myself a laptop recently in order to be able to work away from home every now and then.  I'm interested in anyone who does this and, specifically, I'm looking for a good wifi booster to use in places like RV parks, camp grounds, etc. where the wifi signal might not be strong enough for me to be able to do my job.  I appreciate anyone who might be willing to point me in the right direction. ...

To Any Traveling MTs
Sep 08, 2011

I am considering this and would love to hear from others who have traveled and taken their job with them.  I have some ideas and would like to know what others have experienced.  Is it feasible?  There must be pitfalls.  Any great stories or cautionary tales? ...

Traveling MT
Apr 03, 2015

do they still have that company open that did the traveling MT.  I think it was called K-Force or something to that nature?  Just curious. ...

Transcribing While Traveling
Nov 18, 2010

Hi, I would like to travel occassionally with my husband and still work while doing that.  Does anyone work while traveling down the road.  No airline involved, just strictly vehicle travel.  If so, what setup do you use to stay connected to the internet? Thanks, LC ...

Traveling MTs Question
Mar 31, 2012

I've heard about MTs packing up their computers when they go on vacation, even someone who travels around with a motor home and brings the work right along.  Can anyone explain to me how you do this?  I mean, I assume you have to work off a laptop or maybe even just have a computer that's easy to haul around, but how do you hook up to an internet connection?  The motels I've gone to have the "free internet" but is that all it takes?  Can any of you enlighten me ...

Question About Working And Traveling?
Dec 23, 2009

Hello, everyone and Happy Holidays.  I have a question.  I am an MT here at MQ and have a company computer at home.  Thing is, I see a lot of traveling in my future.  Do any of you other fabulous MTs work both at home and on the road via laptop?  How does that work for you?  Were your supes open to it?  If this is not a good thing or is very problematic, I really don't know what I am going to do.  Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Those Who Work While Traveling Or On Vacation
Aug 08, 2010

I was wondering how it's done.  I have two days a year when I'm not available to work because of a family reunion.  Since most of the fun doesn't start until after 12 but we have to be there very early because of the committees we're on, I hate to waste that time doing nothing when I could be working. My company does not allow satellite. Is this the only way it can be done? If not, what are the required items besides a laptop? Thanks in advance ...

Traveling Transcription Companies
Jun 28, 2011

Are there any traveling transcription companies out there?  Just wondering........... I would like to travel to different facilities for 10-13 week assignments.............Thanks ...

Need Advice On Traveling And Working
Mar 19, 2013

Need advise on staying in a motel and working on an account that requires unlimited long distance and a C-phone. Also, is it safe to hook up to a motel internet system? I need all the advice I can get. ...

MModal Is Looking For A Traveling Coder
Jan 02, 2015

Don't flame me, please.  I was just browsing the MM website and they want a traveling coder.  It's 100% travel.  I haven't got my CCS yet, or I'd apply.  Getting paid to travel sounds like heaven to me. They also need a senior coder and an coding services auditor.  Just FYI. ...

Wondering If The Ppl Traveling To NE For A Test Will Be Stranded.
Jan 26, 2015

That would be awful!!  Hope they let us know. ...

Is MQ Getting Bought?
Nov 25, 2010

Did I read a post before that mentioned that MQ might be getting bought?  Does anyone have any info on that?  They were referring to changes being made, and trying to decide whether to stick it out or not.  TIA!  ...

Was MDI-MD Bought Out?
Dec 19, 2011

I have not seen any postings on the company for a few years.  I actually was hired by this company 2 years ago and quit very fast as my first few days were not impressive.  Tech support not calling me back, having to keep calling them,  trouble with foot pedal  not working.  Just curious.. ...

Bought Out
Jun 28, 2013

Absolutely Petrified....too young for Social Security; too old to change careers.   Went through this a few years back and honestly can't go through it again.   I don't know how some people sleep at night.    ...

Bought Out Co. And IRS
Sep 21, 2013

Has anybody worked for Alltype (Jerry Kelly) in the past in NJ?  Apparently they were bought out by Medquist or M*Modal in 2012.  I worked very briefly for Alltype in 2011 and then moved on to brighter horizons, although they reported to the IRS that I earned 4x what is actually on my W2 and according to my bank records.  IRS needs me to contact Alltype for verification but they no longer exist (number disconnected)... so what to do?  Something is very fishy and the ...

Spheris Bought Out
Feb 03, 2010

By Medquist and Cbay.  My sister works there and just told me, is on a conference call as we speak. ...

You Want To Know Why MQ Bought Out Spheris?
May 22, 2010

KOLKATA: CBay Systems — a leading healthcare BPO, that services nearly 40% of the US hospital market — is looking to become a $1-billion company and shift nearly half its work to India in the next two years. ******** Transferring work to India is a critical part of the strategy,” said Mr Kumar, one of the founders of the company. This comes within days of CBay acquiring a bankrupt clinical documentation firm Spheris in the US, which, in turn, has increased CBay’s reve ...

Nuance Bought OSI
Sep 23, 2010

Just found out Nuance bought OSI.  Can anyone with experience with this tell me what to expect. Should I be worried about major changes coming? ...

Bought A New Computer But ...
Jan 21, 2011

is it when I check on my battery status it says that it is not charging, even though it is plugged in?  Any one know how to fix this or what the problem is?  TIA. ...

Bought Out By Nuance?
Aug 27, 2011

How was your experience?  Happy with the outcome? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me What Companies Have Been Bought Out By MQ Lately?
Oct 18, 2011

I've sort of been out of the loop for a while at least as far as MQ's acquisitions are concerned.  The last I heard was the Spheris takeover of MQ...oh, wait, that's supposed to be the MQ takeover of Spheris, right?  Can anyone tell me what other companies have been purchased by MQ?  Thanks! ...

To Those Who Have Recently Been Bought By MQ And Still
Dec 07, 2011

working on your accounts from your bought-out company, are you consistently running out of work? We were told things would not change for a while but I'm running out of work all the time.  I tried to apply for SUI this morning online but with this particular situation, I could not answer some questions to complete application so  I have to go down there, which I am getting ready to do.  I don't want to quit but this is getting extremely frustrating punching in and n ...

I Am Still Trying To Grasp That Q Bought M, But Took
Jan 25, 2012

I guess since MQ is associated with transcription and we all know that is going by the wayside???? ...

Question For Those Of You Who Were Bought Out By MQ:
Feb 07, 2012

I know a lot of MT's have been forced into slavery by the Q when their company was bought out.  I'm curious, how many of their promises did they live up to?  I worked for them over 5 years ago but I'm sure a lot has changed since then (likely for the worse). I've seen people on these boards saying that their pay was cut, hours/accounts changed, etc.  Of course we were promised that none of that will happen!  I don't believe it, but I'm curious t ...

To Those Who Were Bought Out By The Q How Long Sm
Feb 09, 2012

was it before you became intwined with all the other MTs regarding working on different accounts, etc.  I am wondering how long I have until I need to really find another job.  I am so unhappy about the DSG buyout!  But I didn't have a say in it! ...

Your Choice Or Bought Out
Mar 12, 2013

How many started working for Mmodal because of their choice and how many because Mmodal bought out the company they were working for?? ...

Who Is The Financier Who Bought (?) MM In The Last
Jun 03, 2013

aware of this board.  Wonder if he likes to visit anonymous message boards?  You can be sure the Royal 3 didnt tell him about us. ...

Bought Myself A Laptop
Nov 26, 2014

on a free or cheap antivirus.  It's a windows 7.  Thank you kindly in advance. ...