A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Traveling MTs Question - Mooselips

Posted: Mar 31, 2012

I've heard about MTs packing up their computers when they go on vacation, even someone who travels around with a motor home and brings the work right along.  Can anyone explain to me how you do this?  I mean, I assume you have to work off a laptop or maybe even just have a computer that's easy to haul around, but how do you hook up to an internet connection?  The motels I've gone to have the "free internet" but is that all it takes?  Can any of you enlighten me?  I guess my age is showing!

laptop - what it takes

[ In Reply To ..]
Not too sure in a motor home while traveling, but if you stay at a RV site they do have internet connections (at least most of them do, so maybe you want to check that).

I stayed in an RV park in a park model, I logged on to my laptop and up popped a question about connection. The park was wired with a local internet company, and I just had to connect with them, although it will cost you whatever monthly charges they want to charge. Make sure well in advance that it is working well, as I had to actually leave the place I was because there was too much interference and it kept cutting out and would be down for days at a time.

In a hotel, you need to get the code from the desk people and when you log on to your laptop it will ask you for the code, and once that is in correctly, you are okay.

You have to make sure and almost all do now days, have wifi or broadband connection, and get the code or follow the directions on the laptop. It is quite easy. No real cords to connect in these places, just code numbers. How amazing things are these days.

I think you can also get a card from an telephone company or an internet company to actually put in slot on your laptop, but these can be expensive and not too sure how they would work if you were traveling down the road and want to use it. But I assume if you are in a motor home you will be stopping at a park or somewhere for the night, so connect with them.

Also... - Trampled underfoot

[ In Reply To ..]
For productivity's sake, don't forget your external keyboard, foot pedal and mouse!

Maybe some people can type just as quickly on a laptop, but I know I can't.

I worked from hotels via laptop and never needed a code. - probably all are different. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
-

Portable Sat Dish - Whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a portable satellite dish on a tripod that I take to my Canadian wilderness fishing camp just short of the tundra and can work up there. There's no electricity because you are 200 miles from town, 15 miles down logging roads, and then 10 miles across a lake in canoe, so I have to use a generator 2300 or 3500 have done the trick. Four 15-watt solar panels would panel a regular PC and sat dish here in Texas until 1 AM before the juice ran out with 4 marine batteries. Wasn't enough sun because of clouds and intensity that far north to run the computer for more than 2 or 3 hours a day. Maybe if I had set it up near the lake or used reflectors or mirrors (or used a laptop) would have been able to get by with solar.

There's a genius of a lady in Tucson Barb Nolley who sells a few different models. I got mine from a place in Canada because that was all I could find and so I use Galaxy Broadband as an IPS. it's the same as Hughes but costs more. I have the cheapest plan, and it's not the fastest, but I'm older than dirt and slower than ...well you know feces. So what's a few seconds here or there, I can take a power nap.

http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/MIS_ContactUs.html?expandable=7

That's the link to Barb's website and there's all kind of useful info. She's the smartest person I've ever met as far as these portable systems goes and really knows her stuff. I have a 2-watt transmitter and hugh dish on a tripod and it's pretty heavy for portable, but being that far north, figured I needed the extra. Most of the satellites hover over the equator (I think - or used to be).

So maybe a portable dish would work for you. I figure I can take mine and go anywhere, so see the kids in AZ who don't have internet at their place, go camping and still work as long as you have a clear shot to the southern sky in Texas, but it points almost West in Quebec, but it depends what satellite you are tuned in to. But lots of them are only a few degrees apart. If you surf the net you can get more info and probably more accurate information. Good luck. Just about anything is possible if you want it back enough.

Thanks To All Who Replied - Mooselips

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm grateful for the responses! Whatever, what you go through to work in the wilderness is amazing and I want to go with you next time you head north!

Similar Messages:

To Any Traveling MTs
Sep 08, 2011

I am considering this and would love to hear from others who have traveled and taken their job with them.  I have some ideas and would like to know what others have experienced.  Is it feasible?  There must be pitfalls.  Any great stories or cautionary tales? ...

Traveling MT
Apr 03, 2015

do they still have that company open that did the traveling MT.  I think it was called K-Force or something to that nature?  Just curious. ...

Transcribing While Traveling
Nov 18, 2010

Hi, I would like to travel occassionally with my husband and still work while doing that.  Does anyone work while traveling down the road.  No airline involved, just strictly vehicle travel.  If so, what setup do you use to stay connected to the internet? Thanks, LC ...

Question About Working And Traveling?
Dec 23, 2009

Hello, everyone and Happy Holidays.  I have a question.  I am an MT here at MQ and have a company computer at home.  Thing is, I see a lot of traveling in my future.  Do any of you other fabulous MTs work both at home and on the road via laptop?  How does that work for you?  Were your supes open to it?  If this is not a good thing or is very problematic, I really don't know what I am going to do.  Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Those Who Work While Traveling Or On Vacation
Aug 08, 2010

I was wondering how it's done.  I have two days a year when I'm not available to work because of a family reunion.  Since most of the fun doesn't start until after 12 but we have to be there very early because of the committees we're on, I hate to waste that time doing nothing when I could be working. My company does not allow satellite. Is this the only way it can be done? If not, what are the required items besides a laptop? Thanks in advance ...

Traveling Transcription Companies
Jun 28, 2011

Are there any traveling transcription companies out there?  Just wondering........... I would like to travel to different facilities for 10-13 week assignments.............Thanks ...

Need Advice On Traveling And Working
Mar 19, 2013

Need advise on staying in a motel and working on an account that requires unlimited long distance and a C-phone. Also, is it safe to hook up to a motel internet system? I need all the advice I can get. ...

MModal Is Looking For A Traveling Coder
Jan 02, 2015

Don't flame me, please.  I was just browsing the MM website and they want a traveling coder.  It's 100% travel.  I haven't got my CCS yet, or I'd apply.  Getting paid to travel sounds like heaven to me. They also need a senior coder and an coding services auditor.  Just FYI. ...

Has Anyone Here Bought Wifi For Traveling, Did It
May 26, 2015

I have an iPad, some friends have tablets and we are going on vacation soon. I am trying to find perhaps something without a contract such as with Verizon or the like and something suitable for traveling. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks. ...

Wondering If The Ppl Traveling To NE For A Test Will Be Stranded.
Jan 26, 2015

That would be awful!!  Hope they let us know. ...