A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Great "For The Record" Article Regarding Credentialing - smeeps

Posted: Apr 08, 2011

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/615073e3#/615073e3/10

what is so great about it - blah blah blah

[ In Reply To ..]
As a 15-year MT, I found it offensive. I think the sentence "an MT who has their CMT is more dedicated to learning than any other MT" is ridiculous!

Every MT is dedicated to learning, that is why we are MTs. EVERY DAY WE LEARN! Just AHDI trying to weasle money out of the remaining US MTs that fall prey to them.

And furthermore... - the elephant in the room...

[ In Reply To ..]
is the huge garbage factor of those doing the dictations (and ultimately responsible for their records) that we are told to type "verbatim" because the MT is not capable of turning trash into something comprehensible. I am not only talking ESL here, but the seeming endless supply of slobs who inhabit the medical field these days. Maybe what they really need is a certified dictator credential.

I also think AHDI is dreaming to think their credential will ever become mandatory, since it would mean MTs would have to be treated at least as well as other licensed occupations, both with $$$ and respect and if that happens they'll just send whatever work remains in the US overseas sooner than later.

Sending work overseas is what AHDI is lobbying for. - The CMT is just a means to their end..... nm

[ In Reply To ..]

I agree with you blah-blah... it's not possible to - be an MT without constantly learning - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
new things. It just goes with the territory. To charge us for a fake "credential" for something we already do anyway is absurd.

ITA that credentialing is necessary to restore respect for MT, - but not through AHDI b/o credibility issues. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Mandatory credentialing is a money making ploy for the AHDI plain and simple. - LaLaMT

[ In Reply To ..]

I cannot believe any self-respecting American MT would buy into the mandatory credentialing movement.  Here's what some of my thoughts were while reading the article.  (Excerpts from the article in red and quotes)

“Without the credential, there is a false perception that anyone can do what an MT does, making it more difficult to secure a qualified workforce.”

There is already that false perception that anyone can do what an MT does, especially when the MTSOs turn us into well trained little monkeys with the notion of verbatim transcription.  Essentially, we are not allowed to think.  They have rendered our collective education useless.  Type only what he says, how he says it.  Don’t think, don’t analyze, type as fast as you can, use your spell check and sign off.

“... and it requires the significant support of a parent organization...”

This made me laugh.  I assume the author of the article is looking to AHDI to be our “parent organization.”  I would like to know exactly what kind of support CMTs receive now from their parent organization and what kind of support can we expect to receive once we all have the appropriate initials after our name?  I will tell you what we can expect to receive, BUPKIS.  What we can expect is an overpriced BOS that changes every couple of years so our parent organization can make more money with each new edition, membership into their little club, and a subscription to their little publication.  By the way, their “support” has a price tag - $500 for the credentials, $135 for the membership, $50 for the BOS.  Gee thanks!  Then of course there are the “discounts” you receive with certain vendors for being a member including a 20-50% discount on the cost of attending their annual convention.  

“Preziosi believes once policy makers and regulators recognize the amount of protected health information being exposed to unlicensed individuals, the need for credentialing will become more evident.”

Perhaps if the policy makers and regulators were aware of the amount of protected health information being exposed to individuals in third world countries, where our HIPAA and HITECH laws cannot be enforced, they’d realize there is a much bigger problem in the medical transcription industry than “unlicensed individuals” handling patient information.  Maybe the focus should be on bringing American MT jobs back into the jurisdiction of United States where the handling PHI can be monitored and truly protected and maybe then we can talk about mandatory credentialing.

Maybe the notion credentialing is devalued because at the present time more than half of American MT work is sent beyond our borders where it is processed at a mere fraction of the cost of what we, the American MTs, can live on, support a family on or are willing to consider.  Instead of offering our third world counterparts a discount on the CMT and RMT examinations, maybe the AHDI could focus on the “American” part of their moniker and do something about bringing our work back home.  Maybe the AHDI could lobby the policy makers and regulators on the behalf of all American MTs about passing legislation that prohibits PHI from leaving the United States.  It is completely absurd that policy makers and regulators enacted the HIPAA and HITECH regulations without realizing those laws have been rendered virtually impotent when PHI falls into the hands of a third-world MT.

So um yeah.  Really enjoyed the article.  Gave me a few good laughs.   

Is there a place to post comments after - the article? If so, SM

[ In Reply To ..]
the above post and others like it should be posted.

There isn't but I emailed the editor with link to this post - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

You Said It - earlymusicus

[ In Reply To ..]
I just read the article and you said exactly what I wanted to say LaLaMt, especially the part about unlicensed individuals handling PHI. I wanted to scream, "Then quit sending it overseas to be transcribed, you morons, if you're so worried about the security of PHI!!!"

Amen to that, Lala! Well said. - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
x

LaLa, your post should be copied and mailed to - every hospital & clinic in America.

[ In Reply To ..]
It was so totally right-on, I read it about 4 or 5 times. Bravo!

Agreed! Please do send it on. However, AHDI already took - American out of the name..

[ In Reply To ..]
It is "Association" now.

I also think they changed the I to "India" instead of Integrity, but what do I know.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!TOO BURNT OUT AND OLD TO CARE... - oaf
[ In Reply To ..]
Was a CMT in the 1980s, didn't make any more $$$ and let it lapse. I know it should be a matter of pride but paying the ridiculous membership dues for that organization we all have come to hate is just stupid. Close to retirement and at this point too BURNT OUT TO CARE! Still do the best job I can and that is my source of pride these days..As if taking paycuts isn't enough they want us to do this...BAH HUMBUG
AHDI badly needs to be exposed for the crooks - they are, and put out of business. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
More than AHDI needs to be exposed (sm) - Been there done that
[ In Reply To ..]
This morning when I tried repeatedly to get on MTStars and could not, I thought I would go to one of the many websites to find out to whom this domain name is registered. Guess what, gals? It's registered to Zeshan Ahmed on Eid Gad Road in Pakistan. Check it out for yourself if you don't believe me. This board purports to be a board for American MTs. What it really is is a sneaky way for someone in Pakistan to gather information about our jobs, trends, accounts, hospitals, employers.

AHDI - piaffan

[ In Reply To ..]
LaLa, your post is so good. It should be sent to legislators. They're the ones who passed HIPAA.

The problem with you "logic" - mtmtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Mandatory credentially *DOES* add credibility to your claim of being an MT. And yes, it costs. It costs every organization that requires credentialing. So the big stir-the-pot as you are doing is really nothing more than another disgruntled, stuck-in-the-mud MT who thinks the way "she" does it is the ONLY way it can or should be done.

Our information is as safe going offshore as it is within the confines of our country. If you think there are no disreputable MTs, think again. There's plenty. Not too far down was an MT commenting on the ethics of someone telling another MT to lie on her resume. ETHICS are not something that come with citizenship.

Securing a qualified workforce WILL require credentialing. I stopped being a fan of AAMT/AHDI a long time ago, but I know that if you want to be recognized as someone who can professionally do a job today, many professions are requiring credentialing and should.

So yes, your points come across to me as someone who would rather keep throwing water on ideas and progress than someone who realizes the industry is CHANGING. Get over it.

Similar Messages:

Article About MT Credentialing
Apr 09, 2011

I just brought in my mail and there was the March 28 issue of "For the Record", a magazine that was part of my AHDI membership benefits. I don't know why they're still sending it to me because my AHDI membership ran out, but I the cover story of this issue is "The MT Credentialing Debate: What do Medical Transcriptionists Gain by Adding RMT or CMT to Their Resumes?" I haven't started reading it yet, but it should be interesting! ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Another Great Article
Sep 12, 2012

From the magazine "For the Record."   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml ...

Great Line Counts Require Great Dictators.
Feb 11, 2015

I'm always over 200 until I get Mr. Mumblemouth who knows he is not forming actual words when he hums through the PE, as my counts plummet to as loiw as 75 LPH.   Then I get a long report from an excellent fast-talking dictator and my LPH jumps to 340.   Question:  Why is it that the MTSO does not comprehend the fact that our production depends on the capability of the provider to dictate correctly?   The horrid dictators are never told they are doing anything wrong as ...

Best Credentialing Prep Course?
Nov 15, 2011

My company is offering an incentive in pay if I get credentialized, so I am going to go for CMT.     My question to all of you is which course is the best to take?  I see that Career Step, M-Tec, and Omniscribe offer prep courses, but I don't want to waste time and money on these if they will not adequately prepare me for the exam.  ...

Mandatory Credentialing
Oct 16, 2012

I was thinking... mandatory CMT credentialing might not be a bad thing.  I'd have no problem passing that exam, but would the Indian MTs?  If CMT were a requirement for ANY MT transcribing/editing US-based medical dictation, I think we'd lose our Indian partners pretty quickly. If AHDI could ("would" is probably more appropriate) make this happen, I'd gleefully pay CMT dues and attend all the seminars, etc. ...

Credentialing Survey?
Jun 24, 2015

Seriously?  Why would I plan on getting credentialed in an almost dead field. ...

AHDI - Mandatory Credentialing
Aug 31, 2011

AHDI is seeking public comments on proposed changes to its model curriculum. One of those changes is a requirement that ONLY CMTs be allowed to work as Instructors at AHDI approved schools. Knowing that the vast majority of experienced MTs (and AHDI members) do not have their CMT, we wanted to make sure everyone has an opportunity to provide their feedback to AHDI on this subject. To see this and the other propsed changes to the model curriculum, click here: http://www.ahdionline.org/portals/0/ ...

Opinions Wanted On RMT Credentialing
Sep 10, 2013

I am just looking for some opinions on whether it's worth it to keep the RMT credential. My 3 years are up and I got a letter from AHDI saying in order to keep it, I need to take a course (which costs $100) and complete it before my credential expires. In order to meet that deadline, I have to sign up for the test by the end of this month so I can take it in October, which is also the month it expires. This month is the absolute worst month ever to try to come up with an extra $100!  ...

Great Transcription Job - Great Pay -
Dec 20, 2011

I worked for LabCorp for 7 years - started at $14/hr - left 7 yrs later at $19.86/hour -- company has own credit card for employees -  called a Clear Card - available to ALL employees - Regular working hours. EASY transcription!!!  Could do it in my sleep!  Benefits.  Had a lot of overtime if you wanted it - ($28 an hour when I left - at time and a half).  I would recommend LabCorp to EVERYONE!  They also have data entry if interested.  lower pay, though.& ...

OTI/Record One
Sep 26, 2014

So, we can stay with Records One but just with no work promised except for as soon as it becomes available. Sounds promising. I wish promises paid my bills. It is a sad day for me. ...

Do You Write Down The Job # For Your Record....or
May 03, 2012

just do along and work?  I was writing job # and which hospital and work type but its time consuming and I don't see the point because I hope not to be here much longer.  ...

Job Offering On For The Record
Mar 21, 2014

See link below... ...

For The Record Magazine
Mar 27, 2015

There's a very well-written article in the newest edition, called Life on the Low End of the Pay Scale, regarding pay for transcription, current and past, how WE got to where we are now, and MTSOs' role. In essence, a good way to start us back to better income is to refuse the low pay that lots of companies offer. We have to raise our bar, no one will do it for us.  ...

Path Of The Medical Record
Mar 31, 2010

I'm trying to follow the path of a patient medical record. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. But here's my understanding: the doctor dictates (or inputs his data), then it goes to coding. From coding it goes to billing and from billing it goes to the designated payor (insurance company, medicare, etc).  So If my scenario is correct, then if there is not an accurate record, then it can't be coded correctly and it can't be billed correctly and the medical faciility does no ...

Another Medical Record Breach
Apr 05, 2010

Below is a link to another breach of medical records. We can directly blame the fact that today's medical records largely dwell on the internet. Lest some of you come back with "but without the internet, we would not have jobs", let me tell you that we got along without the internet previously and had higher pay because the offshore vultures could not get at the records and we were in higher demand. We can do it again.   http://valley.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/ ...

Not To Sound Like A Broken Record, But
Oct 29, 2010

what is the best school to go to (online) for becoming a coder?  I have been an MT for 15 years and tired of the feast/famine.  Is there financial aid available?  I cannot afford even $250 down and $100 a month.  Also, are there any companies that hire coders to work at home right out of school?  Thanks for any help!! ...

Does Anyone Know What Medical Record Auditing Is?
Jan 24, 2011

My community college offers this course and I would like to take it.   ...

For The Record, MTSOs Who Are NOT Greedy...
Nov 28, 2011

I want to make it clear that this is not a rail against all MTSOs; there are MTSO's still out there who are NOTmotivated by greed, and who continue to pay their employees very well.I have worked for companies which historically have paid employees much higher CPL than other companies - Keystrokes and MTP (both based in Illinois, owned by former MTs, and as far as I know, all work still on US soil) - and several of these companies actually DO pay employees "more than fair" hou ...

Medical Record Summarizer
Jul 11, 2012

Can someone explain to me what a medical record summarizer does and what kind of pay is it?  Thanks ...

Appalled At What A Medical Record Looks Like Now.
Jul 20, 2012

I began working for a doctor's office and we get referrals.  Some of these apparently are entered by the doctor.  It is the biggest mess I have ever seen.  Sentences are run together.  There is no punctuation.  Capitalization is either nonexistent or incorrect.  There are no paragraphs.  The report is just literally words run together for a whole page. Other offices have canned forms, and they fill in a few blanks.  The paragraphs and h ...

Medical Record Errors
Feb 20, 2014

If anyone is on Facebook, search for the "Healthcare Documentation Today" page.  There is an article posted regarding medical record errors.   It is a very interesting article regarding the other side of what we do.   ...

Electronic Medical Record
Jan 14, 2015

I have been corrected by QA twice on this one. The first time it was changed to capitals (Electronic Medical Record), so I started typing it that way. However, recently I had it changed to lower case (electronic medical record). Both times the sentence was the same... "Detailed in the electronic medical record."   I had always typed this lower case until it was changed the first time. I never did understand why it should be capitalized. How do you usually transcribe this one?  ...

Hate To Sound Like A Broken Record
Jul 15, 2010

but when is next pay day AND could someone tell me where on MQCentral I can find the pay schedule for 2010?   Thanks so much. ...

Has Anyone Ever Tried Using A Gaming Keyboard To Record Keystrokes In VR?
Aug 28, 2010

NM ...

S/l Vista Web Pathology Medical Record. Sm
Feb 01, 2011

Brushing biopsies were obtained with final pathology consistent with squamous cell carcinoma, according to the Vista web pathology medical record from the Montana VA.  ...

Working With The Electronic Health Record (EHR)?
May 12, 2011

I know that transcriptionists at Veterans' Hospitals have used the EHR for years and it works really well at VA. Now it seems that you hear about it all the time, but every single description is different from every other one. Nobody seems to know anything. When I ask how it works in other hospitals and clinics or with MTSOs, I hear that it's really no big deal. You just transribe like you always have. If each system is different, I guess what I want to know is, are any of you using it ...

Typing In Your Own Record At The Doctor's Office
Mar 20, 2014

My husband went to the doctor last week.  The lady asked him his medical history, typing it in the computer, then spun it around and asked him to enter some of his personal information, name, address, etc., himself.  Now that might be a first.  ...

New Record Error Count In 1 Report!
Apr 08, 2014

Thanks ILP.  You have blown me away.  In a 10-minute report you have managed to get approximately 50 errors... This is of course after your MT finished the report, routed it through 100% review with your QA, and then sent it to lucky me... Yippy. ...

The Future Of Coding The Cover Story Of For The Record Mag
Jan 28, 2012

Timely! Computer-aided coding and its impact upon the coding job market is the feature story of the just-released For The Record magazine. Some excerpts: "...From what I've heard from those hospitals for years now is that it's not that they need fewer coders."  Instead, Bronnert sees coders being used more effectively and at a higher skill level.  "They become even more valuable to a facility.  I don't see their roles or positions diminishing at all.  I see ...