A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Got fired today.... - so upset......

Posted: Oct 20, 2014

Have only been with this company for about 12 weeks.  In that time learned over 70 new docs, about 25 of which were difficult ESLs and some of the rest of which were just mumblers and soft speakers who could not be heard without jamming the headset in my ears and going back over and over.  I always plowed right through, though, thinking it is just part of the job.  They let me go today because I was not getting enough lines.  I had asked how other people seem to get the lines and was just told "make shortcuts", which I was doing.  Hard to come up with a lot of shortcuts, though, when you hardly ever get the same doc more than once a shift!  I worked inhouse as a transcriptionist for 20 years without any major problems, and now all of a sudden I'm not good enough!!??  Such a shame that quantity is now valued more than quality in this industry!

I have never known of a time when quantity did not - play a part in MTing

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked in MTing for over 40 years. I have never been on a job when quantity was not expected. That has always been part of this job, in the 70s through now. I told many years ago when straight only if your typing was 60 or 70 wpm not the job for you. I do not think it has changed one bit.

One thing I can say. I do not know how companies expect (not me I only do 1 place) but most expect people to have countless accounts to work on and expect miracles for people to be able to work with almost 100% accuracy and still be fast. So glad things like that are not part of what I have to do.

To So Upset - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Please try not to take it personally. The expectations of trying to remember all the account specs, dealing with ESLs, etc., are just ridiculous. Consider it a blessing. I hope you find a better job soon. :-)

To anon.....Yeah, I know it's not personal... - ....but hard not to take.....

[ In Reply To ..]
....it personally when you are your own sole support and it affects you in such a profound way. I worked in house at a hospital for 20 years and, yes, we had a certain amount we were expected to get done, BUT my productivity seemed to be adequate for them. So why all of a sudden am I "not good enough?"
Getting fired is hard to accept most of the time - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
because someone walks up to you and says you're fired. There is no debate. You feel powerless and have zero closure. Firing people is almost a psychological attack. It's hard to shake off and go on (hopefully to something else). You've done MT for 20 years. You're good at what you do. People fire people for a host of reasons.

People dumping on people rolls downhill. The person who gets fired, unless it is for something clearly obvious, is just the last link to feel the snap. MT is real shaky right now. It's all about the money on both sides of the deal. And they can be ruthless to MTs when they deal with them because they don't believe they have any rights.

You MUST apply for unemployment. You MUST. By the Wage and Hour Department of the Dept. of Labor we are, all of us except MTSOS with MULTIPLE clients, employees only. And as such your state Dept. of Labor will help you. You have to convince them you're really an employee. And this would be the State DOL in the state that the service is located in. I don't know if your state DOL will get on board or not. This is long but I'll post the Fact sheet on the DOL website.

Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
(Revised May 2014) (PDF)
Fact Sheet 13: Am I an Employee?: Employment Relationship Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
This fact sheet provides general information concerning the meaning of "employment relationship" and the significance of that determination in applying provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Determining Whether an Employment Relationship Exists: Is a Worker an Employee or Independent Contractor?
In order for the FLSA’s minimum wage and overtime provisions to apply to a worker, the worker must be an “employee” of the employer, meaning that an employment relationship must exist between the worker and the employer. The FLSA defines “employ” as including to “suffer or permit to work”, representing the broadest definition of employment under the law because it covers work that the employer directs or allows to take place. Applying the FLSA’s definition, workers who are economically dependent on the business of the employer, regardless of skill level, are considered to be employees, and most workers are employees. On the other hand, independent contractors are workers with economic independence who are in business for themselves.
A number of “economic realities” factors are helpful guides in resolving whether a worker is truly in business for himself or herself, or like most, is economically dependent on an employer who can require (or allow) employees to work and who can prevent employees from working. The Supreme Court has indicated that there is no single rule or test for determining whether an individual is an employee or independent contractor for purposes of the FLSA. The Court has held that the totality of the working relationship is determinative, meaning that all facts relevant to the relationship between the worker and the employer must be considered.
While the factors considered can vary, and while no one set of factors is exclusive, the following factors are generally considered when determining whether an employment relationship exists under the FLSA (i.e., whether a worker is an employee, as opposed to an independent contractor):
1) The extent to which the work performed is an integral part of the employer’s business. If the work performed by a worker is integral to the employer’s business, it is more likely that the worker is economically dependent on the employer and less likely that the worker is in business for himself or herself. For example, work is integral to the employer’s business if it is a part of its production process or if it is a service that the employer is in business to provide.
2) Whether the worker’s managerial skills affect his or her opportunity for profit and loss. Managerial skill may be indicated by the hiring and supervision of workers or by investment in equipment. Analysis of this factor should focus on whether the worker exercises managerial skills and, if so, whether those skills affect that worker’s opportunity for both profit and loss.
3) The relative investments in facilities and equipment by the worker and the employer. The worker must make some investment compared to the employer’s investment (and bear some risk for a loss) in order for there to be an indication that he/she is an independent contractor in business for himself or herself. A worker’s investment in tools and equipment to perform the work does not necessarily indicate independent contractor status, because such tools and equipment may simply be required to perform the work for the employer. If a worker’s business investment compares favorably enough to the employer’s that they appear to be sharing risk of loss, this factor indicates that the worker may be an independent contractor.
4) The worker’s skill and initiative. Both employees and independent contractors may be skilled workers. To indicate possible independent contractor status, the worker’s skills should demonstrate that he or she exercises independent business judgment. Further, the fact that a worker is in open market competition with others would suggest independent contractor status. For example, specialized skills possessed by carpenters, construction workers, and electricians are not themselves indicative of independent contractor status; rather, it is whether these workers take initiative to operate as independent businesses, as opposed to being economically dependent, that suggests independent contractor status.
5) The permanency of the worker’s relationship with the employer. Permanency or indefiniteness in the worker’s relationship with the employer suggests that the worker is an employee, as opposed to an independent contractor. However, a worker’s lack of a permanent relationship with the employer does not necessarily suggest independent contractor status because the impermanent relationship may be due to industry-specific factors, or the fact that an employer routinely uses staffing agencies.
6) The nature and degree of control by the employer. Analysis of this factor includes who sets pay amounts and work hours and who determines how the work is performed, as well as whether the worker is free to work for others and hire helpers. An independent contractor generally works free from control by the employer (or anyone else, including the employer’s clients). This is a complex factor that warrants careful review because both employees and independent contractors can have work situations that include minimal control by the employer. However, this factor does not hold any greater weight than the other factors. For example, a worker’s control of his or her own work hours is not necessarily indicative of independent contractor status; instead, the worker must control meaningful aspects of the working relationship. Further, the mere fact that a worker works from home or offsite is not indicative of independent contractor status because the employer may exercise substantial control over the working relationship even if it exercises less day-to-day control over the employee’s work at the remote worksite.
There are certain factors which are immaterial in determining the existence of an employment relationship. For example, the fact that the worker has signed an agreement stating that he or she is an independent contractor is not controlling because the reality of the working relationship – and not the label given to the relationship in an agreement – is determinative. Likewise, the fact that the worker has incorporated a business and/or is licensed by a State/local government agency has little bearing on determining the existence of an employment relationship. Additionally, the Supreme Court has held that employee status is not determined by the time or mode of pay.
Requirements Under the FLSA
When an employer-employee relationship exists, and the employee is engaged in work that is subject to the FLSA, the employee must be paid at least the Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, effective July 24, 2009, and in most cases overtime at time and one-half his/her regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 per week. The FLSA also has youth employment provisions which regulate the employment of minors under the age of eighteen, as well as recordkeeping requirements.
Where to Obtain Additional Information
For additional information, visit our Wage and Hour Division Website: http://www.wagehour.dol.gov and/or call our toll-free information and helpline, available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in your time zone, 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243).
This publication is for general information and is not to be considered in the same light as official statements of position contained in the regulations.

Dont think of shortcuts are only for specific drs. Make shortcuts - of phrases all drs use, such as SM

[ In Reply To ..]
within normal limits, alert and oriented x3, with a history of. Those are the shortcuts that can be used with any doctor.

I was let go for not producing enough when we - were being asked to

[ In Reply To ..]
log off because of lack of work. Go figure that one out.

If we run out of work we notify the head person - and adjustments are made but

[ In Reply To ..]
I noticed you posted above and stated you reread the work, as you stated numerous times to be sure things were correct. If you have worked as long as you say, there is no way a decent line count can be had with going back and rereading numerous times. I never read back over. I go through once and that is it. I maintain an extremely high line count but also a high QA score. Apparently you had just too many accounts to concentrate on and then you are slowed by rereading and you said checking for names, etc. This job is not one that waits on MTs to play catch up, just is not done.

Similar Messages:

I Got Fired Today
Aug 19, 2011

I started with a new company yesterday.  I got two hours of training on their platform.  I was given five reports to transcribe.  I have been transcribing for 30 years.  TODAY, one day later, they told me I wasn't right for this client and they let me go.  I cried all day.  I was nervous about the new platform, jittery for a week before training, and loved the account.  My corrections weren't that bad for a first day of transcribing on a new account.& ...

Fired Today.
Oct 12, 2011

Well, I was up and fired in the middle of my work day today.  The reason - I didn't do ENOUGH difficult dictators.   Seriously?  I have been doing this for 30 years, 13 years at this company, which has been having financial problems for the past 5 years.  Outsourcing work to keep costs down, cutting all benefits among a few, and losing the majority of their accounts. I believe they are weeding out long-time employees to cut costs since we were still paid on a scale. &nb ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

Got Fired From The Q - Ha Ha
Feb 24, 2010

Well, I was officially fired yesterday.  Up until last summer, I was one of their top producers, never having an accuracy problem.  The reason I got fired?  I got sick. Early last summer, I let a UTI go for 10 days (lived off Rx strength OTC Pyridium) until I was severely septic and urinating almost pure blood and clots.  I also had a kidney infection, kidney stones and bladder stones.  Thought it was over.  IIRC, the urinary organism was proteus mirabilis.  I ...

Getting Fired
Apr 01, 2010

Isn't it odd that being fired from MQ isn't a disgrace?  Being fired from any other place would be total humiliation, but I don't think anybody here would ever look down on another MT who was let go.  MQ doesn't discriminate.  They justly fire bad MTs, but they also fire good MTs who are stuck with crummy accounts, accounts that constantly have NJA, and probably a ton of reasons that are beyond our control.  ...

Fired
Apr 28, 2010

I was hired by company initials "P" under the conditions that my computer meet their specifications.  I was told my computer met their specification and then offered employment.  I accepted. Their technicians worked on my computer for 2 weeks straight and installed faulty software, and then I was told my system would not meet their specifications and I needed to have my computer XP deleted and reinstalled or buy a new computer.  I had my computer checked out and was told my c ...

I Don't Really Want To Get Fired From Q
Dec 08, 2010

it really wouldn't be such a bad thing ...

I Was Fired
Jun 14, 2011

I was fired. I started with Medquist in 1998. They fired me in 1997. I was hired and Spheris and became a Medquist employee after they bought Spheris. I was fired again today. I just hope Medquist eventually stabilizes and the employees are happy again. I hope I find something suitable for me. I wish the best for all. It's been one hell of a bumpy and uneven ride. Bon voyage to me!!! ...

Getting Fired??
May 05, 2012

If you have had a written warning on 3/31 and I am going to assume after a failing audit score on 1 report I did, is firing next?? Really can use input regarding this and unemployment, or really anything you can think of? ...

Getting Fired....
Jun 28, 2012

this may sound stupid, but how does one go about getting fired from this God-awful company?...i sit here in tears daily, and can't look for another job because i am tied to this desk 14 hours a day and not even making minimum wage...i want to be able to collect unemployment for just a few weeks until i can find a real company to work for... ...

When You Get Fired
Nov 04, 2012

does mmodal pay unused acrued pto. when do they pay you for work performed before being fired? ...

How To Get Fired
Jun 12, 2013

Has anyone been fired and able to draw unemployment from this ridiculous company? I just can't take it anymore, want to quit, but think if I can somehow draw unemployment that would be great for me. If I do not show up to work will I be let go? I know this seems ridiculous to be asking, but hey, these large do-not-care-a-bit-about-you companies bring out the worst in some of us.  This one is definitely the worse company I have ever worked for, and it shames me to have to work ...

How To Get Fired?
Apr 02, 2014

Does anyone know what would be grounds for getting fired by Nuance? ...

Just Got Fired
Jun 10, 2014

I just wanted to let those who are following my story over the last few weeks that they just fired me. Not sure what I'll do now. ...

Did I Just Get Fired
Feb 26, 2015

in the middle of a Thursday... ...

So I Wonder If I Will Be Fired Or WHAT....just Do It Already Then
Mar 04, 2015

So I've been going back and forth since the beginning of this "safety pay plan" getting around 99.5% to 100% for 2 weeks then falling off the grid at 98% (and once much lower), back on the grid, back off.  I guess one week I'm an excellent MT and the next I totally suck.  I am just so stressed thinking they are going to fire me.  I am sure it would be a blessing in disguise if they did, but I'm not ready yet. I am my sole source of income and I'd mostly likel ...

Fired For Low QA Scores : )
Oct 15, 2009

I am a medical transcriptionist with over 15 years of experience, and I was fired today for low audit scores.  I don't know why I am happy about this.  I guess I am just relieved to get away from a company that picks apart their employees.  What are they going to do when there is no one left?  Ironically, I have worked in many big hospitals and while our reports were reviewed, this would have never happened working in a hospital.  Does anyone know what is happening ...

Has Anyone Been Fired Because Of A Bad Audit?
Dec 03, 2009

It's obvious they're cracking down on us, nit-picking, etc., to what end?  Everyone, myself included, seem to be getting less than 98%.  Is it just to keep us on our toes, or to have ammunition to hold against us when the time comes to ship everything to India? ...

So, It Must Be My Turn To Get Fired
Jun 10, 2010

I have been targeted like crazy on audits, getting them every couple of days, and albeit there are some things I did wrong (had/has), I am getting marked for stuff like leaving a blank, sending to QA, and then marked wrong for the blank on a critical error saying I should have been able to find this.  I could not hear it, so how could I find it?  I should have just sent it to the client, but really felt that a fresh set of ears might heart what this mushmouth was saying. I guess I am ...

I Was Fired From Diskriter ...
Aug 13, 2010

I was fired from diskriter because I had quality but not the quantity. ...

FIRED FOR MOVING
Sep 02, 2010

I was recently fired from my MT position because I moved to a different state. I was a full-time employee. I was never informed of such a policy and had actually moved to this state a few years ago when working with the same company. This was apparently a new policy they had come up several months ago. The kicker is that I informed my supervisor of my move and even provided my address and nothing was said until I moved. ...

What's It Take To Get Fired From This Place?
Sep 05, 2012

I made more money on UE than this job.  How can I get fired?  I try.  I disappeared w/out notice for 2 weeks.  No one said 1 word to me.  I don't always work my shift.  If i'm sick of it, I quit.  I never work overtime.   FIRE ME ALREADY.  ...

Fiesa And Getting Fired?
Jan 21, 2013

What is the cutoff score for getting fired?  Anyone know? ...

I TRULY Believe Getting Fired From This Company
Mar 08, 2013

Really...in the current situation that this software company disguised as an MTSO is perpetrating on its highly trained MTs..there is no other way out. We can earn min wage elsewhere without the STRESS of 99.5% QA hanging over our head and line counts AND a schedule that is guaranteed. I am out from this company as well...and now I am FORCED to get off my dead ass, my lack of confidence in my appearance, improve my MS Office software skills (which I am..and I am proud and surprised how easily ...

If You Are Fired/laid Off, Do You
Apr 06, 2013

or at the end of the month. I am making appts like crazy, just in case... ...

So.......how Long Until I'm Fired?
Jun 26, 2013

I've been below the required 99% for over 12 months with QC of 10% or below. How long until they fire me? I've been a MT for a long time, but this job has been the worse. ...

Were Only P/T Employees Fired?
Aug 19, 2013

and do part time people get bennies? ...

Has Anyone Ever Been Fired From Nuance?
Sep 10, 2013

Posting on the main board to get more input.  Seems Nuance MTs live in fear of being fired after all the audits and criticism from TSMs, but has anyone actually been fired? I know MModal fires from previous posts but NOT ONE have I read about Nuance firing anyone.  Seems odd, yes?    ...

I'm So Excited...I'm Getting Fired.
Mar 04, 2014

Made an appointment with social security office.  Already receiving TIAA-CREF payout (from divorce...waited 14 years for that)  Will be getting more money than with MM without the headaches and pay cuts.  And just in time, my audit score of 96.1 this month will be a FAILURE next month.  Guitar lesssons, books, and coffee shops HERE I COME. ...