A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone use Stedman's medical word spellcheck - software and is there something similar? sm

Posted: Feb 05, 2014

I always had this through work, and now I need to buy my own.  Are you allowed to borrow, or people share a license?   I don't know how this works, I've never done it.

Is there another program similar to it, maybe a bit less in price? 

I definitely do NOT want to spend $100 on it, let alone have to pay to renew any licensing or get upgrades every year.   I'd really like to buy it once and be done with it,  is that possible?

What happens if you don't cough up and renew or whatever every year -  do you get locked out of further use, or anything?  Do you just not get any updates? 

Straight Answers...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
No, you can't borrow it from someone and sharing is not really an option. The group license for the software is even more expensive than a single license. As much as it hurts, you are going to have to spend some money, as most companies will not allow you to work without a spellcheck program. I have the Stedman's 2011 version which is the basic version. Once you buy it, it's yours for the duration. You can buy upgrades but you don't have to. You can also buy a version that includes yearly updates (more expensive). I just add new words to it and that has worked out fine for me. When I upgrade to Windows 7, I'll have to buy the latest version that works with that OS. Sylvan Software also has a medical spellchecker. If you do a search for "medical spell checker", you will come up with some free ones, but I'm not sure about their quality. You'd be crazy to try to work without a spellchecker. That would be like walking a tightrope without a net, and I'm also sure not having one would slow you down and be detrimental to your work quality.

Stedman's 2013 Standard Edition - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I just came across this edition on Amazon (new) for $50.00.

Thank you, that's what I needed to know. I will get the - one from Amz tomorrow. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I use a free medical spell checker - that I found on the internet

[ In Reply To ..]
If you google for free medical spell checker, the link should come up. I've found very, very few errors in it (generic drug capitalized, just little things like that), but I've been using it for 2 years and no problem at all. I just couldn't afford to pay the $100+ for the Stedman spell checker, and this freebie has definitely been a lifesaver.

HTH!

I also Googled "Free Medical Spell Checker" and Stedman's came up, but... SM - Kitty

[ In Reply To ..]
the only free Stedman's Spell Checker was a free trial. I tried to download that, but when I clicked on where they indicated to download, it didn't load.

Would you care to share which website or link you used to download the FREE STEDMAN'S?? It would really be appreciated, as I cannot afford to be the whole version, either. Thanks.

Similar Messages:

Medical Spellcheck Program For Word?
Jan 08, 2013

Hi all  Can someone recommend me a good program to get for microsoft word 2010 that will allow Word to check the spelling of medical words? Any help is appreciated, thanks ...

Stedman's Spellcheck
Dec 11, 2014

Does anyone know if Stedman's Spellchecker 2008 works on Windows 8?  TIA. ...

ShorThand, Escription, Stedman's Spellcheck
Nov 24, 2014

I have used Shorthand 10 for several years and have never had as big a problem with expanding until I started using escription.  I work on v. 9, 10 and 11 and am seeing errors that are clearly expander related that I absolutely do not see or catch when I am in the reports.  I am to the point of starting from scratch on my Shorthand as it has so many entries that it would be easier just to start over.  What I am wondering is what settings those of you who also use Shorthand have on ...

Free Medical Spellcheck?
Nov 26, 2009

anyone know of any good, reliable free medical spellcheck i can download? i am using word 2007 right now.   thanks :o)   crystal ...

Does Anyone Use A Different Medical Spellcheck Program
Aug 17, 2014

I simply do not have the money for steds, nor do I want to give them my business.   I'm wondering if anyone found or uses a different medical word spelllcheck program,  and do you like it, is it helpful or accurate?   Thanks much.   ...

Medical Spellcheck For 2010 Version
May 07, 2014

What is a good medical spellchecker for Word 2010?  If I have to pay, its okay, but if someone knows of a free one, even better.  TIA ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Medical Spellcheck System?
Oct 01, 2010

Considering going the IC route and need a recommendation for a very good medical spellcheck.  Thanks in advance! ...

Spellcheck On Word Perfect
Feb 08, 2010

Question...on Word Perfect, if you use spellcheck and have some "shortcuts" created, i.e., "DD:" to expand to "Dictated by" how can you keep it from expanding it as it goes thru the document?  Hope this makes sense.   Thanks!! ...

Need Spellcheck For Word 2007/2010
Jul 01, 2014

Hi, I need to have a medical spellcheck with Word 2007/2010.  Has anyone used the eMedTools one?  I am afraid to download w/o some references.   I do not need an extensive one.   Link below is to the eMedTools I found. If not, do you know of any other ones, preferably free.  Rather not spend $100 right now. Thanks in adavnce!  :) ...

Stedman's Medical Spellchecker Question
Nov 03, 2009

How many computers can you install the spellchecker on? ...

I Just Loaded My Stedman's Medical Spellchecker On My New PC
Feb 25, 2010

but it's not working in Word.  Is there something I need to check or uncheck in Word so that it is my default dictionary?  All I see when I open options, Spelling and Grammar, Custome Dictionaries, is custom.dic (default) checked, but it is not my medical dictionary.  Thanks! ...

Question About Stedman's Medical Dictionary V 7.0
Jun 28, 2011

Does anyone know what versions of Windows this is compatible with? Also, any comments on how you like/don't like it would be helpful!  Tx!  :) ...

Stedman's Medical/Pharmaceutical Spellchecker Question
Mar 18, 2013

I have the 2006 version of Stedman's Medical/Pharmaceutical Spellchecker Plus and out of the blue it just stopped working.  Does anyone know what would cause this?  I can't even find it anywhere on my computer????  I tried to reload it from the disc but that would not load...can't live without it that's for sure.  I have sent an e-mail to them and hopefully they will get back to me soon!!!!!!! ...

MS Word And Stedman's Spell Checker
Jul 16, 2010

HELP!  MS Word is not recognizing Stedmans as my spell checker, so all med words are red underlined.  I tried restoring my computer to prior week, and tried using an old version of normal.dot        Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I use Smartype and that is fine, it's just my spell checker.  It has apparently reverted to the spell checker that comes standard with Word.   I have been using this computer and this setup f ...

Is Hypopotassium A Real Word? Can You Verify It With A Stedman's Book Or A Website You Could G
Mar 08, 2012

Need to verify word "Hypopotassium" ...

Will Stedman's 2007 Spellchecker Work With Windows 7 And MS Word 2010? Sm
Sep 14, 2012

I'm considering updating my computer and presently have a Dorland's Medical Spellchecker Version 3.0.  I'd actually like to use this if it will work but, if not, I'm wondering if the Stedman's 2007 will work with 2010.  ...

Word 2007 - Stedman's Spellchecker 2010 - Unable To Add Words To Dictionary
Mar 23, 2015

Using Word 2007.  Installed Stedmans Spellchecker 2010 . Test shows the speller is working.  Upon spell checking document it does not allow me to add words to the dictionary. That option is grayed out. I've followed instructions found online to correct this in Word but that does not solve the problem.  I had EditScript downloaded to my PC , but have not used it yet.  I wonder if EditScript disabled this feature in Word?   ...

Still Have Not Gotten My Stedman's Spellchecker To Work! What Is The File Name Of The Stedman&
Mar 02, 2010

I installed it and it acted like it installed successfully, but it is not working!  I've tried to search my entire hard drive for the dictionary file so that I can manually add it to Word, but I'm stumped!!!  I can find the folder on my C: drive that houses all the Stedman's Spellchecker files and such, but I do not know which one is the actual dictionary file. Somebody please help me! ...

Longest Medical Word, Or Any Word Apparently
Jun 04, 2010

Just thought it was interesting.     pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis:   pneu⋅mo⋅no⋅ul⋅tra⋅mi⋅cro⋅scop⋅ic⋅sil⋅i⋅co⋅ vol⋅ca⋅no⋅co⋅ni⋅o⋅sis   // //  /ˈnumÉ™noʊˌÊŒltrəËŒmaɪkrəËŒskÉ’pɪkˈsɪlɪËŒkoÊŠvÉ’lËŒkeɪnoʊËŒkoÊŠniˈoÊŠsɪs, ˈnyu-/ Show Spelled Pronu ...

Help - A Non-medical Word In A Medical Report
Jan 25, 2013

It's on a wrist injury.  The word sounds like (it's slurred), but has the sound of - "inishits" The sentence is He has instability of the distal radial ulnar joint.  He had an MRI, which did reveal tear of the TFCC, which _____ with his clinical picture. Anywone have any guesses as to what that might be?  I'm just at a loss. Thanks,   ...

Medical Dictionary For Word 7
Aug 15, 2011

Anybody have experience with adding a medical dictionary that works with Word 7 and doesen't require a home equity loan to download? ...

Getting Medical Transcription Word Expanders
Nov 21, 2011

I am finally getting smart (after 26 years!!!) and looking into getting transcription expanders (but don't have much money) and have no idea what is best all the way around (user friendly, cost, easy to learn as you go, etc.).  Any ideas?  Thanks :) ...

WORD 2003 Medical Spell Checkers
Feb 18, 2010

I am trying to find a good spellchecker to download for Word 2003.  I had previously been working out of WP5.1 and then Pscribe, so there was no need for me to purchase one.  TOO many out there, would like opinions from  MTs who actually use them, not the manufacturer saying "its the best one available" and end up paying for something that is garbage.  Starting a new position on Monday where I will be typing in Word 2003.  Any suggestions greatly appreciat ...

Medical Dictionary/spell Check Software Compatible With Word
Apr 15, 2010

I just recently quit my job with MQ after having been there for 10 years.  I'm now working as an IC on Word.  Does anybody have information on a good medical software program (medical dictionary/spell checker/expander) that is compatible with Word.  I'd like to get something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!! Any help would be appreciated.        ...

Spellcheck
Mar 26, 2014

Looking for some ideas on the best spellcheck and best price.   ...

Spellcheck Not Working
Feb 19, 2010

Help!!  All of a sudden my Spellcheck quit working on Word 07.  I have check the Options and it is Checked off to check spelling while I type.  It is not underlining anything in Red at all.  The Grammar check is working.  I also have Dorlands Medical Dictionary installed.  I don't know what to do!!  I would appreciate any ideas.  Thanks ...

Stedmans Spellcheck
Jun 14, 2011

Curious if anyone knows where I can get a good price on the Stedmans Medical Spellcheck CD-ROM?  I am starting a new MT job at home and was thinking about purchasing this for my home computer. Thanks! ...

Spellcheck Editscript V10
Mar 15, 2012

I am using Editscript V10 with Word 2010. I do not have any expander softwore. Right click does not work and suggestion box for spellcheck pops up and goes away very fast. There was a post by Lori about this and everybody was suggesting tech help. Lori, if you see my msg, pls let me know how to solve this problem.   ...

Spellcheck/dictionary Help.
Aug 27, 2012

My computer crashed this weekend and I lost everything.   I need a spellchecker word list for MS Word 2007 and Shorthand version 9.  Please help me fellow MTs!  Thanks in advance. ...

Docscribe 7 Spellcheck - Need Help
Nov 06, 2012

I'm using Docscribe 7.1 and spellcheck is not putting the red line under a word when it is misspelled.  How do I get it to put the red line under? ...