A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you all think this is a dying career? - anon

Posted: Dec 23, 2011

I just basically would like some honest opinions on this subject.

yup...nm - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Without a doubt... nm - Old Woman

[ In Reply To ..]

I kinda agree with you. - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
However, the better and more experience we get will never be compensated and not many will be fortunate to find a company that is not so greedy as to not give increases to reward production and skills. With the rising cost of living, we will not be able to maintain financially in this field and good MTs will slowly be forced to move on.

I cannot continue doing more and more research, search for and correct demographic info when the incorrect information has been entered so I don't get a HIPAA violation warning, add new contacts, learn new specifics and accounts, and sometimes even retype reports completely on the really disgraceful edit CPL and with no pay for anything that is not added to our line count. Sad, sad situation and not sure this is not the new norm.

Not sure myself, but I think - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends on what you consider the "career" -- I think straight transcribing is dying, yes. But,I think there will always be a need for editors. IMO, the career is going through some drastic changes, yes, and may or may not be shrinking in the number of people needed in the field (remains to be seen), but I do not believe it will completely die out. Medical records will always exist, and someone will always be needed to enter in the text (whether it is us or someone else - doc - or a machine - speech wreck), and someone will always be needed to edit that text (especially if it is entered in by speech wreck or by docs/PAs themselves).

I agree with you. Well said! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yours is the best reasoning that I've heard - Agree With You

[ In Reply To ..]
Your reasoning is sound. I only wish that it would move along faster, weed out anyone who wants to be or needs to be weeded out, and let us get on with enjoying our jobs without all the frenzy from those who are truly hurting and not doing well. It's painful to watch people hurting and know that you can't do anything to help them because not everyone can do well in any career, especially these days. Fewer MTs are going to do well, but I believe those have the potential of doing very well once things settle out.

It's already dead as a career - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
... if you define that as a profession, one's life's work, an occupation that sustains you and puts bread on your family's table. Once VR and offshore outsourcing became the norm, the profession was downgraded to "job" and those who perform it treated as dime-a-dozen worker bees instead of professionals. EMR is going to nail down the coffin lid, but medical transcription is already well along in the process of becoming something else. I'm not even sure if the skill set is going to be in demand for whatever it becomes. All in all, the outlook isn't good from where I sit.

For perspective, I'm a hospital employee working from home, still doing straight transcription and paid decently. But the handwriting is on the wall for me as well as everyone else. I've loved this profession but it's become the Titanic. And I'm looking to jump ship before she sinks.

Yes and with EPIC is sooner than later...nm - sadone

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes there is no question about that. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It is the only "career" I know of where the pay has consistently gone down and there is no future. Our jobs are obsolete now you might as well say. I am very surprised people still go to school for this. If they only knew....

It was never a career. Careers have movement. - Whatever happens, pay for this job will not

[ In Reply To ..]
increase back to what we need it to be within the foreseeable future, regardless to what it might morph into. Anyone wanting movement back to a higher wage level needs to take the classes and prepare for a higher-level job--or career for the more ambitious.

Absolutely, without question....sm - SWMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Been in the business since the 80s (yes, that is a long, long time) Made more money then than I do now; in fact, could make $45,000 a year and OT was always available, so $60.000 was possible, and yes, that was the Selectric typewriter and cassette tapes :0 Never ran out of work either. In these last 5 years, it has totally gone into the toilet, with outsourcing, editing, no work, etc. Don't think MTing will last another 5 years because we only work to make money and that just isn't possible anymore.

Not dead yet - just in the

[ In Reply To ..]
zombie phase. No soul, looking to suck the life out of the living.

No, but we are going through tough times just like everyone else - Fearless

[ In Reply To ..]
I think we're not only going through tough times because of the poor national or global economy. We are also going through tough times because the industry is feeling its way to the next norm. Nobody knows exactly how that will turn out or how long it will take to become what it will be. I believe many people will find that there are other jobs they are better suited for. We're going to lose some jobs. The people who are left may actually be paid better to do the jobs that will remain over the next 10-15 years.

In my own experience, I've always done better when everyone else gave up and I didn't. I think the same thing is happening now.

without a doubt..unless you can live on 3 cpl - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in this business for nearly 30 years. Started out as an X-ray typist for a huge hospital, moved on to general medical and then owner of small MTSO with contracts for small rural hospitals for 15 years. Big business came in with lots of promises and cheap rates (outsourced) and we were out of business, like so many small services.

In this year alone, 2011, I have seen 5 HUGE hospitals/medical facilities go to VR, and its like a snowball. Medical transcription as we have known it will be a blip in history soon. I have spent the last year and a half attending "real college", not some online course for coding,to position myself at 55 years old to be able to continue to provide for myself. Self-employed can't collect unemployment....I will graduate with an associates degree, be qualified to sit for the RHIT and coding exams by June of 2012 and be on my way OUT OF THE MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION FIELD. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner because I have known for years this was the future.

Don't sit there and believe all those promises of "our docs will never go VR/SR"...docs are employees anymore, just like we are. They don't make the decisions anymore, they get a paycheck just like we do. And, all this EHR stuff, its not a flash in the pan, its GOVERNMENT MANDATED and billions of dollars up for grabs. Its not an option, its THE LAW, be EHR compliant by 2013, as well as coding changes to ICD-10 by 2013 and many, many coders not up for the transition, requires quite a bit of continuing ed and recertification and some old coders just said enough, and are retiring.

As far as VR/SR don't be fooled...doctors don't even know they are dictating to speech recognition!! read up on it. Why do you think they are cutting transcriptionists pay 2/3 and then some?? As soon as they pay for the software its all profit. They have "us" sitting in the backroom making sure the speech recognition got it right and try to blow smoke up our nose that its gonna make our jobs so much easier, NOT....easier maybe but can't make a living.

I really have done this for nearly 30 years and I'm telling you to run, not walk, run to some education in another field, or Wal-Mart where you can make at least minium wage cause it isn't in the medical transcription field, or anywhere else but transcription.

Those of you who still have the hopsital jobs making good line count and have a "false sense of security" I encourage you to be alert...I am praying my little backup job that still pays a decent amount for transcription doesn't go VR before June of 2012 so I can get on to my coding career and be done with transcription.

I have yet to see anyone make any money with VR/SR editing...run, go to school and get an education in something else, NOT EHR SOMETHING TRAINING THAT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST...EHR is not a "thing" in and of itself, it is an "electronic health record" and they are "programs", not some generic computer application that you can get training online with some scam "educational software." There are hundreds of EHR PROGRAMS so don't be fooled into some scam program to "train for EHR"...its a scam.

My choice to go with coding and be legitmately trained on ICD-10 was to be able to use my experience, but be very, very careful about buying any kind of "online" training programs. They have to be "credentialed" by AHIMA and if it doesn't say that, don't buy anything. Very few programs/facilities/higher education programs are "credentialed by AHIMA"....be sure of what you are buying.

Hope I gave you a little insight into the rapidly declining world of medical transcription.

You've had a rough time. - My sympathies

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine how it must feel to have lost your business. All the best in your new career. I don't agree with some of your rationale, but wish you a better career. It sounds like you have had a really rough time.

not looking for sympathy, stating truths - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not looking for sympathy, I am stating truths...you can always tell those who are selling the BS and those who are actually trying to make a living with the "new and improved".

I know 3 really good transcriptionists who can't make a living on 3-4 cpl VR Editing..me and 2 daughters. I didn't even tell my girls what would happen when their jobs went VR, I had to let them see for themselves. Now they are along with thousands more of us desperately looking for other jobs NOT IN THIS FIELD, and not with the Big-2,3,4,or 5...

I have watched this for 30 years and I read these boards too...we ain't buying it !!!

Not dying, changing - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think it is dying, but I think it is changing radically from what it has been in the past. Those who survive will be those who are comfortable with change, who are flexible, and are technologically literate. I think that the process will weed out some folks who never should have become MTs in the first place--people who only wanted to work at home and would not care if they were transcribing or assembling widgets so long as they were working at home. The profession has never needed these sort of people, and they will get weeded out. There are TONS of people working at home for the right reasons and with the right education and motivation and I say more power to them. I think becoming an MT right now at this point in time is sort of like investing in the commodities market. He is highly volatile and downright dangerous, YET there are SOME people making amazing money at it. It just depends if you are risk-averse. I would not invest in commodities--not that brave--neither would I begin an MT career right now, but there are bravy hardy women (and men) who will do it and who will succeed. I guess the old Clint Eastwood saying applies, "Do you feel lucky?"

SUIT, SUIT, SUIT, you are so transparent!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't even try to sound like a transcriptionist. No one is "making amazing money"........

Oh for goodness sake - Can you all at least TRY to be original

[ In Reply To ..]
Why is it that when someone says something positive about this industry they are immediately called a "suit?"

People, people, you gotta come up with something new at this point. I mean, really.

As for no one making amazing money, well that's all about perspective, isn't it? Quite honestly, in my situation, on a normal day I'm averaging $25 an hour and when I'm not playing around on MT Stars and really pushing it I've done close to $40. It works for me.
$25 an hour... - Amazing!
[ In Reply To ..]
On VR paid at 5 cpl (unusually high these days), an MT would need to produce 500 lph to make $25/hour. Straight transcription at 9 cpl would require almost 280 lph. The only thing ''working'' for you is posting baloney on message boards.
280 lines/hour is nothing - Jessi
[ In Reply To ..]
I can 280 with an ESL where I work, though admittedly I know my docs. But 280 isn't like some impossible dream or something.

Also, I agree with Old Pro. I had a long talk with my boss the other day about whether or not I needed to be looking for a new job and she said MT wasn't going to be the same but that our department definitely wasn't losing anyone. We might not be doing the same job as we know it but we'd definitely have a purpose and our skills would definitely be put to use.

And I wear jeans to work so don't even think about calling me a suit lol!
Thank you. 280 is a lower amt for me - Can you all at least TRY to be original
[ In Reply To ..]
If I'm only doing 280 lph,I am being a little slow. I am for a minimum of 300 lph and do that pretty consistently and if I'm really focusing and not messing around, I'll do 400, but don't really sustain that for too long without my wrists and hands just needing a break.

To Miss "Amazing!" up above - don't assume that just because YOU can't do 300 lph that no one can.
This is not hard to do, once you get yourself acclimated (sm) - lucky, I guess
[ In Reply To ..]
Guess I am fortunate because I get 0.6 cpl for VR and 12 for ST. I average $28 an hour with VR and $29 on straight typing. I work for a large hospital group.
No, they cannot be original...because they cant swim they assume - Everyone should be sinking
[ In Reply To ..]
Ignore them. The biggest whiners are the ones who are the first to cry troll or suit or management.

They feel because they are failing EVERYONE should be failing as well.

Just ignore them...they aren't worth your keystrokes to try to deny their idiotic protestations.

It just has to be a good match of what you can produce (skills) and - what you have to make as income

[ In Reply To ..]
Not everyone has the skills to make any money. Not everyone loves to do medical transcription in the first place. Some of us live where there are higher costs of living. Others have a completely different view of what an acceptable amount of income is. What makes one person happy with an MT job would make someone else go running to another career, as it should be. That's the way things have always worked. You find the best job you can get with the skills and knowledge you have to offer. If that job doesn't provide an income that meets you needs, you have to (1) improve your skills and knowledge; or (2) find out what other skills you have or can get.

Thank you old pro - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm the one who started this post and I'm just starting to get very discouraged and this post really, really put it in perspective for me. I am making a decent living out of this as is my husband as well right now, but I'm just worried about our future with it. We are computer literate and are easily trainable on new platforms and new systems, but at the same time I'm just honestly concerned about the future of it and I really think you put it best with "changing." I honestly appreciate everyone's input who posted back to this and mostly yours Old Pro, you honestly lifted my spirits a bit. I can deal with change better than I can deal with dying, so thank you!

"thank you old pro" by ANON - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not THANK OLD PRO, you hijacked my thread with my "anon" alias even....DYING, GASPING FOR AIR...

I challenge anyone to put their web cam on and SHOW ME even close to 500 lph on VR much less 800 lph, AND DO IT FOR 8 HOURS.
I've done 600 lines an hour - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
oh, but what happens - they start giving you the crappy dictators, who need a lot of work on the demos / header - and then needs to be sent to QA for X, Y or Z...then in the actual report, whole PHRASES aren't picked up by VR, drugs are left out of the medications, and then what is "recognized" is crap you have to change - so then you're fricking back down to 180 lines an hour for 4 hours...and then you run out of work!!!!! So yeah, in an ideal world where everything is working perfectly, wow, 600 lines an hour! But then, crapsville returns...then also for some benighted reason, there are 60 reports available...and the first solid TWENTY are the worst dictator in the department...is there some reason the WORST dictators are the highest priority????

You're welcome - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You're welcome (and Merry Christmas!). All of the doomsayers kind of remind me of a story about Robert Fulton when he invented the steamboat. When he took it down to the riverbank to launch it, many people chanted "You'll never get it started." When he did get it started and it was chugging down the river, they then started to yell "You'll never get it stopped!" So rather than make changes or have hope or really be willing to look at the fact that perhaps MT is not a good for for them, many people would rather yell allegations of "SUIT!" (I'm not) or whine about why their lives don't work. MT these days involves an incredible amount of flexibility and tolerance for change. Some people have it, some don't. And it's fine whether they do or they don't. It's not about being good, bad, right or wrong--it is only about whether the MT world in its current incarnation works for any given individual. Each person has to answer this for him/herself. Good luck to you! It sounds like you have it all together!

My personal experience with EHR and VR - Know from experience

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for a 470 bed hospital. There were 11 MTs, 9 full-time, 2 part-time, and we sent out overflow, mostly discharge summaries, to a large MTSO. (Use your imagination here). This MTSO wanted to "buy" the MTs. Hospital said no. Used to have to have 4 or 5 MTs working on radiology, the others were doing acute care. Most were trained in all work types. As MTs quit or retired, were not replaced. Still had very heavy workload, stayed behind. Enter the EHR. Work started decreasing slowly. First was just residents using the system for some discharge summaries. Then other doctors began doing progress notes and h&Ps in it. Then consults, then some routine OPs. Then enter VR for Radiology. All radiologists but 2 do their own editing. Still have a lot of transcription work. Enter the VR system that is compatible with the EHR and billing systems and will interface with both. Doctors start dictating. Unknown to them, VR is "Learning" their patterns of speech, etc. Gradually almost all of the dictators are now VR. These are mostly for OPs and a few that refuse to do the canned template reports. Since the work all but dried up, there was no need for all of the MTs. Guess what happened?

I was laid off. Don't blow smoke up someone's skirt and tell them it isn't going to happen eventually because it has happened. It IS happening to others, and it WILL continue to happen in the future, probably at a faster rate and to more MTs. No, I'm not a fortune teller, I'm not psychic, I'm not omnipotent. I just see the writing on the wall. You might just be one of the fortunate ones that survive but don't tell others it isn't going to happen to them because it is entirely possible. The government is MAKING the doctors and hospitals go to an electronic record.

Hospitals have used the electornic record for years WITH MTs - Nothing new about that

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

BIG changes, less warm bodies needed (sm) - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
MT as we once knew it is on its last leg ... much to my chagrin, as I actually did enjoy being left in the corner to do straight old-school transcription.

*Best case* scenario with EHR, there will be a significant reduction in work to even be edited. I do think there will always be a need for some editing work, but just less and less.

CYA, ladies! If there is any job type you don't do, please learn how. Knowing ops will give you a big competitive advantage, especially with EHR. If there's any way you can slide into a team lead job, DO IT. I used to think QA jobs would be safe and sound, but if EHR eliminates a big chunk of our workload, there will be less and less work to QA.

Fortunately, there's still time to reposition yourself (I've already done so) to ensure your livelihood.

This information isn't necessarily correct - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't agree with your statement of fact about the "best case scenario", because we simply don't know how it's going to go. It might be factual to say that you don't know, but you are not willing to wait and find out or you don't think so, but you really don't know. None of us do. There is just so much of this making comments sound as if they are facts when they aren't.

SM what exactly do you do besides reply here ? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
you sure seem to have lots of time to reply on every thread and refute almost anything said. I don't claim to be the end-all source of information on MT or coding, but I've been deeply entrenched in transcription for 30 years and the writing is on the wall. It was a good run while it lasted, but now its time to move on to something else, and let them figure out how to make VR even better than it already is and use it without us, cause "WE" are bailing ship with our 3 cpl.

So you are the same person who was giving the information about coding above? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't realize you were the same person who was giving the information about coding above.
Anon - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
SM just means short message or small message, it is not necessarily the same person posting.

CMTX2 - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Hiya and Merry Christmas! Please don't make the assumption that everyone on here is a "lady." I'm a former Marine, former quarterback, and definitely NOT a lady! :)

Similar Messages:

Is MT Dying?
Dec 12, 2010

I am formally trained and have worked as an MT for many years; however, I first could only get part-time MT work a couple of years ago and then the final layoff came. What I have noticed is that many MT positions are now going to the retiree, who can earn extra money, or the disabled, who can also earn extra money. Both of these individuals have a regular income whether it is retirement or disability. Is this the wave of future MT? I have also noticed that organizations (hospitals in particular) ...

I'm Dying Here
Jun 26, 2015

"Hobbies include writing, sexual toys, and poetry." S/B "Hobbies include writing short stories and poetry." ...

Is MT A Dying Field??
Oct 26, 2009

is MT a dying field?? i hear voice recogintion will make mts obsolete plus companies are outsourcing work to India. ...

Another Dying Field...
Mar 28, 2012

I hope you'll watch this video about photojournalists.  It's very interesting all on its own, but particularly how the major news agencies are refusing to pay for professional quality and using free amateur photos instead. In particular, I would like you to observe what the expert Ed Greenberg says about how photojournalists are viewed by the news agencies - as "passive and childlike".  People who are too timid to protest the way they are being treated.  People ...

Hang MT As A Dying Profession. I'm Going To Be MA.
Oct 30, 2012

At least MA skills can be used for other things and can be a stepping stone to other careers, and you can get a da** job almost anywhere. Sick of being sold down the river by hospitals whose administration doesn't have the stones to tell you they're getting rid of you, but throw out vague hints now and expect you to catch on, so 2 years later they can say "well we told you to look into further education..." My hospital can kiss my posterior. I'm a very darn good MT and th ...

Call-In Dictation System - To Replace Dying Lanier 800
Apr 28, 2010

Looking to replace dying Lanier 800 Call-In System.  Any suggestions?  Any warnings against particular brands?  Approximately 35 dictators, 5 on-site MTs, average of 2,600 minutes monthly of call-in.  Thanks!! ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

MT Career
Jul 21, 2010

Just doing a little survey here:  Do you think the medical transcriptionist is becoming more and more obsolete?  I have been in the field for a long time and have already lost a couple of jobs due to technology or work being contracted out.  It seems to be the one job I was always able to find as there was also a need, especially if you're experienced.  Nowadays, we're talking VR, editors, etc. etc. and the pay is not getting any better.  Personally, I have alw ...

My MT Career Is Done.
Jun 30, 2011

I am just a little fish in a big pond, very rarely posted here, but loved to read the posts!  I felt though I had to post tonight as I am very sad. For the last 15 years, I was an MT, but tonight was my last shift and typed my last report - a discharge summary. Same thing I started on all those years ago.  My account is going VR on July 1, and I was told my wage would go from 9 cents a line to 4 cents.  No matter how they crouch it in rah-rah terms (increased produc ...

Career Help
Jul 13, 2012

I am a 47-year-old woman with a BS degree in management who has always wanted to work in the medical field. I began a training program for transcription but have since learned that field isn't promising at this point. I am analytical and have worked in accounting-type positions for many years, and I think I would enjoy coding. From the perspective of someone with experience in the coding field, would you recommend coding as a career or would you suggest possibly RHIA? I would appreciate ...

Almost On To New Career! Bye MT (soon)
Oct 08, 2012

I am about 90% done with my preemployment process at a county position in a neighboring town.  It will not be too soon for me start as we got word today that we lost one of the biggest contracts they had and they wont be getting a new one until February. So let me tell you just how thankful I am that I am not going to have to deal with these issues of MT anymore.  I will be moving on to an employer where I am fully vested at 8 years!  I am 40, so essentially I could retire then! & ...

Considering MT Career... Should I Do It?
Oct 12, 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  I am a military wife, so I'm hoping to start a career where I can work from home.  For now I would only want to work part-time since I have a young child at home, but it would be nice to have the option to work full-time someday.  I've been thinking about becoming a MT for a while now, but lately I've been discouraged because it looks like the job growth has slowed considerably in recent years.  I'm looking into the Car ...

New Career.
Apr 02, 2013

How many of you are pursuing a new career. I can't live on the money I make from MT, and I don't know if I can do this until I retire. I have been studying gemology, trying to get into estate jewelry. ...

New MT Looking For New Career!!! HELP!
Apr 08, 2013

Well, I wish I would have looked at this forum before going to MT school.  I tried working for two different MT companies.  First one I hated the platform/pay and the second one I really liked the account and platform but my work wasn't "clean enough" and they let me go after two weeks. I think I got canned because I questioned some QA redlines and was told I was wrong (no, no comma.  Yes, you put a comma.  That's hypenated.  No, not hypenated.)  I even ha ...

Career Map
Aug 03, 2013

Here is a link to a very cool career map on AHIMA website.  You click on one career in entry, mid, advanced or master level and it will connect you to all the paths you can go.  It also shows emerging areas. Just what we have all been talking about mapped out! http://www.hicareers.com/CareerMap/    ...

Second Career
Nov 06, 2013

I was just wondering if anyone had found another work-from-home career to go to after leaving the MT "world?" The way this industry is going, I'm just tired of it all and would like to find something else I can do from home and make good $$ at itI I have started on something of a new career but it will take some time to get up, get going and start making $$ at it.  I am designing cat "trees" or furniture that is more attractive and way more easy to clean than what is on the market out ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

U.S. Career Institute
May 09, 2010

Hmmmm...Interesting, was reading about Andrews School and M-Tech.  I looked them up online and they DO seem to be THE schools to go to.  Seems as though Career Step is in 3rd or so?  How would anyone place U.S. Career Institute?  I'm sure this another matchbox school, but do you think it's one that employers run from? Just curious, thanks if you can help.  And Happy Mother's Day to all those great mom's out there, hope you had a great day! :) ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

What Happened To MT Career?
Jun 04, 2010

I am reading on this board and seeing that people from Medquist are being let go, places are being bought out, hospitals are selling in-house to the outside services now.  The services charge a decent amount of money to these hospitals, but we see pennies of it.  What is sad is that what we do is very important, yet we are treated like all we do is type words (and anyone who has done ESL docs know it isn't just words - it's format, it's incorrect pronunciation, inco ...

Alternative Career
Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All: While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country.   Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself.  Dental hygienists make even more and also o ...

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Information On MT Career
Oct 04, 2010

I am planning to enroll in a MT distance learning school and one of the requirements is to get information about the career from at least 2 transcriptionist. What is MT all about? What does it take to succeed? What is the income potential? ...

Confusion Over Mt Career
Nov 12, 2010

my company is laying off and since i will qualify for unemployment, my new plan is to finish school in an MT program. i have tried 2x in the past but could never set aside the time/money to do so. now i have found this board, and am a little confused by some of the comments. i had no intentions of working from home but rather a hospital or office setting. i have seen job postings around town and a government site says something to the effect of 11% rise through 2018. so with all that said, how ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Considering MT Career And Have A Few Questions
May 06, 2011

Hi!  I have never posted here before but have been reading several of the posts and found them really informative.  I hope my questions will not be too redundant.  I tried to see if they were asked in the last 3 months and couldn't find them, so if they were, I am sorry. I have a friend who graduated from Career Step and really liked it.  I am considering a possible career in MT, but am not sure.  I have noticed it seems very difficult to break into without experie ...

Need Some Career Advice Pls.
Aug 02, 2011

I have been in this business over 20 years.  It is really all I have ever done or know.  I realize that this industry is quickly going down the tubes and so I have been looking for other work in other industries. The problem is, I seem to be stuck with the feeling of fear of change.  Fear that I know MT so well and I will fail in a different position even though I am qualified.  It has been keeping me from actually applying for any of these positions.  I know its probab ...

IMPORTANT! New Career For MTs And To Get Out
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not ...

Need To Know The Reality About An MT Career
Oct 26, 2011

I am considering going through training to become an MT and have been reading the posts on this forum for several weeks now. Before I make a decision I would like some opinions from you all who know this industry. Specifically, I would be looking to do MT on a part time basis. I am a stay- at- home mom with two kids in elementary school. My questions: 1) How realistic is it to find a part time job in MT (after training) where I can work my own hours from home? It seems like a lot of ...