A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hang MT as a dying profession. I'm going to be MA. - SM

Posted: Oct 30, 2012

At least MA skills can be used for other things and can be a stepping stone to other careers, and you can get a da** job almost anywhere. Sick of being sold down the river by hospitals whose administration doesn't have the stones to tell you they're getting rid of you, but throw out vague hints now and expect you to catch on, so 2 years later they can say "well we told you to look into further education..." My hospital can kiss my posterior. I'm a very darn good MT and they know it. I'll get an education and take it elsewhere, then tell them exactly why I quit, that I have no more faith or trust in the dept managers, nor the administration of XXX Hospital and Clinics.

The gettin aint as good as it use to be, but it's not dying. - still around, just different thats all.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Different as in treated like crap for slave wages and only a few crap companies to choose from. Nu - any more, thanks. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

It isn't even ballparking what it used to be. I used to make - $25 an hour for years! I make minimum wage now.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

ballparking - lbb

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right! I used to make $37.50/hr and I make minimum wage. To the person who said it isn't dying just different, wonder when she will realize what is going on. People who do not see it's dying must be blind.

I am going to be an MA also.... - woo hoo

[ In Reply To ..]
I just cant stomach this job anymore.

Some advice from an MA - long time CMA

[ In Reply To ..]
I would definitely go for an RN instead. MA salaries suck. You do the same job an RN does in the office and make a quarter of the salary. I started out as an MA, that is where I learned to do transcription. I have an AA degree in Medical Assisting and you are trained to do everything in the office from answering phones to assisting in minor surgery. Have just gotten back into clinical MA and still having to do transcription to supplement the salary. I really wished I had gotten my RN when I was in college and not my MA but went to college in the early 80s and MA was the up and coming field, so I stupidly went that route and is now one of my biggest regrets. If I had my RN, I would be able to go on now to a CRNP or PA and make so much more money actually doing what I love. I used to work with a CRNP who really wanted me to go back to school, as she said with my knowledge and abilities, I would make an excellent CRNP but because my kids were so little and my husband and I divorcing, I just could not see a way to do it and really regret that too! Set your sites higher than an MA if you want some financial security. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Very good advice, thank you for posting. - Practical Nursing is also a 1-year diploma. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I wanted mostly the medical clerical type of thing with better job security and availability than MT. If MA and PN both are a 1-year course, may as well go for LPN and be done with it. Husband is working on his degree now, so we shall both be ready to go in about 2 years. He will be able to open a business and/or work in a shop, and I'll be able to get into a clinic or facility almost anywhere.

nursing - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I too am wanting out of MT. I used to average $30 an hour until '06. It's so frustrating, got laid off last month. Company merged with a larger one who outsources to India. Then we lost a huge account and see ya. I also refuse to do SR. I have money to make. So I am seriously considering becoming an RN. However, I am 45 and wonder if maybe I am too old. I am in shape though but still.
Heck NO you aren't too old! :) - alwaysgoforthegold
[ In Reply To ..]
I really believe you are never too old to learn anything new, especially if it is something you will love and if it is helping people. If I had a "math" brain I would go for RN. I just turned 41 this year and I am currently in school for coding, but my husband and I have been talking and I "might" go to school for LPN, but I have a queasy stomach, and, of course, the "math" brain I don't have. But I would really love working with babies and children. I say go for it! You're never to old to go for your dreams! Good luck to you! :)
nursing - tired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes lovely Math. Just thinking about Algebra again makes me cringe! I did well in Math though but my brain isn't what it used to be! My daughter suggested becoming an LPN first so I am working in 14-15 months. However, from what I am reading nursing school is difficult, and I am not sure I could pull it off working at the same time. Plus why go to school for 15 months for LPN when you can be an RN in 5 quarters. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

RN may not be the way to go either. I am currently - me

[ In Reply To ..]
in school to become a CNA. In my state it is now a requirement to take the classes before moving on to nursing school. My instructors both are BSN, who started as CNAs. One instructor said she was getting into teaching because the RN's job is no longer safe. There are different levels of CNAs and each level has more responsibility, so that the CNA is giving the majority of the care and you need less RNs. There is such a need for CNAs that my school has a class starting every 3 weeks. It is a 3-month course and if you do well in class you're pretty much assured of getting a job. Pay isn't great (9.50-13.00), but is about the same as what a lot of MTs are making now, and at least you get decent benefits. The hospital requires 6 months of experience, but once you get your foot in the door there then there are lots of opportunities. That is why I took the course. With having to apply through the internet you're lucky to even get an interview, so having to try another route to get your foot in the door to prove yourself is quite a challenge. Where I live the hospital system is made up of about 6 hospitals and they require all new hires to be BSN, or they may hire RN based on a commitment to get their BSN within 2 years of hire.

Oh wow! We now live in OK because of a job transfer and - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
to be near our daughter. She worked as a CNA at a local hospital before becoming an EMT and she said they are so desperate for nurses they hire without a BSN. All they care about is if you passed your NECLEX. When you go to the hospital�s website there are always at least 10-15 sometimes 20 or more nurse want ads with a lot of them being no experience necessary. I could have my ASN degree in 4 quarters w/ prereqs or 5 quarters w/o. Both schools, (Oklahoma State Univ and the local community college), have ASN programs with a 91% NECLEX pass rate which is extremely good.

On becoming a CNA, the hospital she worked at has an excellent program where you are actually pre-hired and they place you in the area of the hospital you desire to specialize in, (they try their best I should say). I want to do ICU or surgery. I believe CNA is a good way to go if you are not 100% sure you want to be a nurse. I am going that route to get my feet wet first. I am not interested in being on the med-surg floor though long term. It is extremely stressful; at least it is here with the insane nursing shortage. The things she dealt with were just too much and the RNs don�t do anything yet are paid $35+ an hour or more obviously because of the education. She was making $12 and doing all the dirty work. So for me being a CNA is not what I am looking for. I mean if my husband were to pass away God forbid how can you live on that wage?

Anyway, MT is no longer a good career IMHO. It worked very well for me while raising my girls especially when part of that time I was single and my youngest got very ill. Now that they are grown, it�s time to get out in the world. I was always such a confident person but now I am struggling, maybe because my brain isn�t as sharp as it was? LOL!

Similar Messages:

Is MT Dying?
Dec 12, 2010

I am formally trained and have worked as an MT for many years; however, I first could only get part-time MT work a couple of years ago and then the final layoff came. What I have noticed is that many MT positions are now going to the retiree, who can earn extra money, or the disabled, who can also earn extra money. Both of these individuals have a regular income whether it is retirement or disability. Is this the wave of future MT? I have also noticed that organizations (hospitals in particular) ...

I'm Dying Here
Jun 26, 2015

"Hobbies include writing, sexual toys, and poetry." S/B "Hobbies include writing short stories and poetry." ...

Is MT A Dying Field??
Oct 26, 2009

is MT a dying field?? i hear voice recogintion will make mts obsolete plus companies are outsourcing work to India. ...

Do You All Think This Is A Dying Career?
Dec 23, 2011

I just basically would like some honest opinions on this subject. ...

Another Dying Field...
Mar 28, 2012

I hope you'll watch this video about photojournalists.  It's very interesting all on its own, but particularly how the major news agencies are refusing to pay for professional quality and using free amateur photos instead. In particular, I would like you to observe what the expert Ed Greenberg says about how photojournalists are viewed by the news agencies - as "passive and childlike".  People who are too timid to protest the way they are being treated.  People ...

Hang On!
Mar 06, 2010

I've worked for MQ for over 15 years.  I've seen lots of ups and downs...  bad days, despairing days, and good days too...   My advice to everyone upset by recent changes, first time right, etc.:  Calm down and hang on!  Wait and see how this actually works out.   If you are having problems filling blanks, then start guessing to get you through this period.  We all know that the vast majority of problems with medical reports are caused by the dicta ...

We Can All Hang It Up Anyway
Aug 21, 2011

Yesterday I heard some people actually talking about they had meetings with some people from a new softwear company that in a few years will allow them to dictate and post their medical records online themselves at the same time cutting out the middle men, companies with big fees and poor work and medical transcriptionist, and if they are too busy they think their secretary or LPNs or Medical Assistants will be able to do it all for them.  HA!  I actually heard this! CRAZY.  ...

Gah! Hang Up When You're Done Dictating!!!
Oct 01, 2010

He does this all the time...turns a 1.5-2 min dictation into a 15 minute dictation.  I fast forward through it, but I still have to "listen" to the whole file before I can turn in the dictation.  This is on top of being a horrible dictator; he whispers, shuffles papers, etc, and has extremely long pauses between words.  Gah!!!! Okay, just had to get that out of my system.  Thanks! ...

How Hard Is It To Hang Up A Phone, Really?
Oct 05, 2010

My ears get so tired of all the banging the doctors do just trying to hang up the dang phone!  I also get tired with all the time I waste having to listen to how nurse Betty's weekend was because the doctor just laid the phone down for 20 minutes instead of hanging up!   ...

When Baby Boomers Finally Hang It Up
Nov 25, 2012

What will all the big MTSOs do then?  There are classes in my town for MT training and all have been suspended or eliminated due to lack of interest.  No surprise there!  I hit 60 in 2 more months and like some who posted below, I was going to keep working for years, even part time while getting my SS.  With yet another "take over" by a huge MTSO (Nuance), I am just hanging on until I hit 62 or so, and then hanging this sorrowful profession up in the closet, where it surely h ...

Call-In Dictation System - To Replace Dying Lanier 800
Apr 28, 2010

Looking to replace dying Lanier 800 Call-In System.  Any suggestions?  Any warnings against particular brands?  Approximately 35 dictators, 5 on-site MTs, average of 2,600 minutes monthly of call-in.  Thanks!! ...

Our Profession
Jun 12, 2010

When I look at our profession now -- what it has devolved into -- and compare its present condition with how it was just 20 years ago, the contrast is STAGGERING. With enhanced technology, medical transcription -- and, by extension, patient care -- should have improved by leaps and bounds, both in terms of TAT and QUALITY.  Only half of that has been met: the decreased TAT.  QUALITY has been compromised to such a degree that it is SHAMEFUL.  My current employer has ...

New Profession
May 02, 2013

i am waiting until i have three weeks of vacation saved up untiil i can start a nurses aid training course.  it may be foolish, but i am paying my tuition to them in increments so i will not have such a big bill when the tuition comes due.  they start classes once a month. i have been appling for jobs all over the place, not transcription.  i do get a lot of "thanks but no thanks" form letters.  i am getting discouraged. i am on the sunny-side of 60 (59 next month) and hopi ...

I'm Out Of This Profession!
May 29, 2014

I start a new non-transcription job next week.  Today is my last day at this lousy company and I am finally doing what I've dreamt about doing for a long time - I'm typing everything EXACTLY as the doctor is dictating it.  They want verbatim, they are getting verbatim.  I'm not fixing a single thing and I just don't care at all. It's wonderful! Let the doctors see how idiotic they sound sometimes.  And don't anyone bother to admonish me about how ...

Need Advice: Considering The Profession
Jan 28, 2010

Hello, I sure would appreciate your guidance!  I am trying to change careers and am in the process of deciding what to go to school for.  I thought MT would be a great idea and suited my lifestyle, but a lot of what I read here tells me the profession is shrinking, and newbies out of school struggle to find work.  (I am in FL, with huge medical demands, btw.) What I had planned, was to complete my course (local community college online) and find entry level work, if possible.&nbs ...

We Need To Demand More Pay As A Profession
Aug 06, 2010

Just need to vent. I have been a medical transcriptionist since the late 1980s and I have seen the trend to cut our pay consistently over the years. It look over 20 years for me to gain the experience I have, in most specialities I might add.  It is very disconcerting to have a company offer 7 to 8 cpl with my experience.   Now, with voice recognition (which it seems most of the larger companies out there have), our pays are cut even more so.  I might add, at least for me, ...

Is This Profession Even Worth It?
Nov 19, 2010

I have to say this is my first time to this website and I am deeply discouraged by the forums I have read because it sounds like this line of work is basically dying a slow death. I am currently enrolled in a community college and am about to finish getting my certificate ( I am in my last class which is practice/internship) to become a Medical Transcriptionist but I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it? I already had fears because of accounts going offshore and EMRs but reading some of ...

Getting Out Of MT. Which Profession Would You Pursue?
Mar 18, 2011

I have narrowed it down to medical diagnostic sonographer (2 year degree, not sure what degree name is) or AA degree in Health Information Management (RHIT). ...

Are There Any MTs That Are Happy With This Profession?
Apr 24, 2012

I was researching this profession, thinking maybe it was something I wanted to do. But it seems like everyone already in this field dislikes their job. ...

Been A While Since I Left The Profession
Aug 27, 2012

It's been 7 years. Thinking of doing an at-home AHDI program for "recent" experience. Are experienced MTs having difficulty finding jobs? I read a post of an experienced MT on this board claiming to have difficulty finding work. That was not the case when I left this profession 7 years ago. There were more jobs than qualified MTs to fill them. What has happened? ...

This Profession Is Pathetic
Jun 23, 2013

Cannot believe it, I am 60 years old, been doing this almost 40 years and I sat down last night and really checked things over and now with NJA all the time, my monthly bills are not covered by my 2 pay checks a month.  I do not have a high mortgage ($240 a month, can't rent a room for that), I have basic cable that is bundled with the internet (which we all need to do this job), the very minimum of phone bill ($40), and have to pay for my own health insurance (as my company  ...

The MT Profession Has Really Gone Down The Tubes
Oct 30, 2013

The MT profession has really gone down the tubes.  I have no desire to do this anymore and that's why I've been training for other things.  These Quality Control people have nit picked to the point I just cannot stand it anymore (forgetting "the" or taking out "the") and the other extremely petty crap that they ding for (and it has no bearing on patient care whatsoever).  Who wants to work like this anymore (and for the rotten pay on top of that to boot)?  It never used to be like ...

Need A Change In Profession
Jun 03, 2015

Are there any coding companies that provide on the job training?  Is schooling required to become a coder?   Are coders paid hourly or piecemeal like an MT?   I have to get out of the MT industry for obvious reasons, but I really need something that I can move straight to without going to school and still work from home.  Any information is appreciated.   Thanks! ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription - Done With This Profession
Jun 08, 2010

My name is Carol  and I am a medical transcriptionist from Maryland.  I am very upset as I am typing this.  I am done with this profession.  I suspect that is what they want.  I have a family to feed.  No more playing games with stupid VR and accounts that sneakily send the work overseas due to corporate greed.  No person who does that could ever call themselves patriotic or American, but I bet they do.  I have been doing this and doing it well for over 20 years.  In no other vocation ...

This Is Contributing To The Decline In The Profession Too!!
Jun 22, 2010

Oh, I am so angry right now!!  I was just looking through ads and somehow ended up on Freelancer.com - people are over there BEGGING for jobs that pay $25 per audio hour (tops) or are entering bids for 35 hours of transcription at $0.20 per audio minute!!  Really?  Have you done the math?? UGH!!! The best was an Indian site that was asking for a medical transcriptionist with a 48 hour TAT paying...wait for it....wait for it....$1.50 cpl!!!!  I had the best time reading those ...

What Do List As Your Profession On Tax Forms? Sm
Mar 09, 2011

medical transcriptionist, transcriptionist, medical editor, ASR editor ?  not sure what I even am anymore other than underpaid, frustrated, and stressed beyond human comprehension (wish I could put that on the form !! HA). ...

Do You Feel Stuck In This Profession?
Sep 03, 2011

I'm feeling stuck and I just need to vent a little bit.  I have been a transcriptionist for 12 years and loved every minute of it until just the last couple of months.  I trained with the Q and really enjoyed that job.  Had a great supervisor and all was good.  I was offered an IC position with our local hospital making 0.16/line, 50 cpl with spaces.  Of course I grabbed that up.  This was 5 years ago.  2 years ago we got a new supervisor who made us all s ...

Any At-home-profession Graduates
Oct 15, 2011

I am looking for any one who has completed the AHP program and is currently employed. I need any advice you are willing to give. Thanks for your time. ...

Leap Of Faith - If You Are In The MT Profession
Oct 13, 2013

If you are in the MT profession and you just cannot seem to make a living, then this message is for you.  I took a leap of faith that I pray will pay off in the long run.  I quit!!!  I flat out quit.  Then, I got a call from Nuance and I refused to go back.  No more low payi!  No more working every Saturday and Sunday just to break even!!! No more QA audits for every T and dotted I.  NO MORE!!!!.  No more overworked supervisors sending 15 emails a day!!!!  NO MORE!!  I took a leap of f ...