A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is MT dying? - MT

Posted: Dec 12, 2010

I am formally trained and have worked as an MT for many years; however, I first could only get part-time MT work a couple of years ago and then the final layoff came. What I have noticed is that many MT positions are now going to the retiree, who can earn extra money, or the disabled, who can also earn extra money. Both of these individuals have a regular income whether it is retirement or disability. Is this the wave of future MT? I have also noticed that organizations (hospitals in particular) are posting for full-time positions; however, they really want someone who will work when there is work available and who doesn't really mind if there is no work available, i.e. many times this is not a full-time position. 

I am having a difficult time letting go of MT and accepting that this line of work is no longer sustainable for a person who needs a steady, full-time position. What is the trend in MT that many of you are seeing? What type of person are organizations preferring to hire? When VR and IT really take over, is the skill set or what used to be skill set of MT really going to be recognized for what it is? I don't think that many people in the healthcare industry (and other industries) realize the training that MTs have in order to do this job, i.e. A&P, chemistry, biology, medical terminology, medical transcription, various computer software skills, etc. I no longer work as an MT and have found it difficult for any employer to take a former MT serious for hiring purposes in any line of work. I am not overweight, I am not a house hermit, and I have a great education and different experience besides MT. 

Where do I begin again? Where is this MT field really headed? What are thoughts of other MTs?

This post - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
is such crap.

Disabled and retired MTs get all the work.

OR others say

Older/more experienced MTs can't get any work.

OR other say

Newbies can't get hired.

Interesting that you ask this question on the newbies board, you know, where all that life experience as an MT can be put behind the answer.

I'm an older, experienced MT who has not had one iota of difficulty finding a job. I am not formally trained, I am self-taught. I am very good at the job. I make close to $60k and am self-supporting.

The industry is changing, it is not dying.

Where the field ends up can't be answered because NONE of us has any idea what the future holds.

I agree with mtmt - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
And what does being overweight have to do with anything?

If a company offers insurance, likely the insurance co. - sees obesity as a major health risk. - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility that the insurance companies tell the employer that they will get a discounted rate on their company insurance if they screen out employees that are morbidly obese.

I'm not saying this is right. It's blatant discrimination. But if it adds to their bottom line, then you just know they do it.

I disagree that older employees are more likely to be hired. (Insurance companies consider AGE to be a health-risk, as well!) Not only that, but what MTSO wants to pay for experience anymore? They SAY they want experience, but they want it at a newbie's pay scale. So not only do many long-time, highly experienced MTs not bother to apply to jobs that offer less than 10cpl, but even if they do, the MTSO often never even considers them.
Obesity - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Being overweight is one thing, being morbidly obese is quite another. How would an employer who has never seen you know how much you weigh, it's still against the law to ask that question on a job application. The OP stated that she was not overweight as if being so was some kind of character flaw, I didn't care for the tone of that post at all, implying that people with disabilities and retired people had some kind of advantage in the job market and were living some kind of life of luxury when we all know that is not true. Anyway, enough said.
To obesity/anonymous - Disabled guy
[ In Reply To ..]
Like you, I did not care for the tone of that post. It is because of people like this that we got the Americans with Disabilities Act. I am an asset to my company, am a lead MT who consistently does 350 lph on ESL accounts. Yes, I have been an MT for a long time. I have been disabled for a long time, too, and thank God, my employer knows I am disabled (I work remotely) and he does not care. At least some people have a brain--and a heart.
not against or prejudice - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I apologize for offending anyone who is retired, disabled, or obese. I am not in any way prejudice or do I lean toward that choice, when, in fact, it is offensive when someone talks derogatory about certain groups of people. I was only stating what I have experienced recently that many employers have found a way to cut costs by hiring people who already have a steady, sure income so that they can get work done whenever and for however little hours, etc. In no way do I think that retirees, disabled persons, or the obese live a life of "luxury."
I was an MT for many years and I have been weighing the pros and cons of actually doing it again. I am also weighing what I know is happening and the tax credit many employers receive for hiring certain people -- no offense intended, just facts that I have to weigh.

On one hand, great for the retirees and disabled, they have a job. One the other hand, someone who needs a steady, full-time job for economic reasons needs to consider what is really happening. Not too long ago it was that many employers were hiring moms for no other reason (and I heard this from others) that the moms were only working for extra money -- this was assumed. And now, many employers have moved on to retirees and disabled, other groups who have additional income. What does that really tell you about many employers today -- they are well aware that the pay for MTs is decreasing drastically as we speak.
What reality do you live in? - Fulltime MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Your entire train of thought is whack. MT companies are not targeting retired and disabled. In fact, try and find a PART TIME MT gig! It's next to impossible.

What *is* happening is that (finally) the MTs who really aren't as good as they thought or who aren't willing to treat their job like a real job are being weeded out.

You're not even an MT at this point in time and it sounds like you've not applied anywhere so whomever you're getting your information from is, simply put- WRONG.
Reality - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, thanks for your opinion; however, I DO work in a hospital and have seen what is going on. My "reality" and "train of thought" is NOT out of whack. I said that MANY companies are looking to hire retirees and disabled citizens. In fact, there was an article in For The Record about this very subject, i.e. the benefits of hiring the disabled for MT work. I was an EXCELLENT MT with EXCELLENT computer skills, English skills, terminology and A&P skills, etc.; however, I was involved in the "mom hiring" and now have seen the retiree hiring.

I am getting my information from experience, what I've seen going on. I only posted on this board to receive other viewpoints, if there are any. There seem to be MANY hostile people (by the responses) on this board -- that may be the answer to my questions. People are only that hostile when their money situation is poor, the livelihood is declining, and things are not looking well.

I think that your opinion of what *IS* happening is just that, your opinion. There are MANY experienced, good MTs who are being "weeded out" for other reasons besides "not being as good as they thought they were, etc." Many women are nasty, and it appears that you may be one of them.

Have a happy holiday season. You have answered my questions.
MT - Disabled guy
[ In Reply To ..]
And what makes you think disabled do not need to earn a living? We, too, have mortages to pay and children to raise. (And no, I am not now, nor have I ever been, the recipient of any kind of welfare or government program.) You, my dear, need to remember this: YOU ARE ONE ACCIDENT OR ILLNESS AWAY FROM BEING A DISABLED PERSON YOURSELF. Please think about this.
Attitude - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
If I offended you in any way, I sincerely apologize; however, the questions I asked were in seriousness as I too need to earn a living and I need to know the trend in hiring practices. I am in no way prejudice concerning anyone, including the disabled. With that said, again, I need to know whether I can depend on a reliable income, meaning receiving the same pay week after week, i.e. hourly or salary; not sporadic.

As far as ". . . one accident or illness away from being a disabled person . . . " -- calm down please. From my perspective, it seems that you are wound way too tight. I never even assumed that you are or were ever on a government program, welfare or otherwise; however, you need to realize that these are the reasons that I asked the questions about hiring MT trends, because I too have never been on welfare or a recipient of any kind of government program nor do I particularly want to be. With that said, if I take a position that is actually sporadic employment, my pay will be sporadic as well. I only asked those questions, sincerely, because I have seen it happening, i.e. hiring retirees and disabled persons because it saves the departments/organizations money by only having people work whenever, and the departments/ organizations don't have to worry about anything like security or benefits because these groups are getting it from somewhere else. Honestly, if I were retired, MT would be ideal. I could collect my retirement, be on Medicare, and work MT for extra money.

Again, I apologize, and please remember that someone else may have a legitimate reason for asking the questions that they ask.
MT disabled - All sides of the coin
[ In Reply To ..]
I to am disabled and have never received disability but work for a living along with medical bills on top of everything.

From an MTSO's point of view: Hiring the disabiled and retired-These MTs are more reliable and more serious about keeping a job and doing it as best they can. It is very costly for an MTSO to place an ad, take time out to review and test applicants while transcribing her own workload, hire and train applicants, and then the applicants (a) turn in poor-quality work that now has to be 100% QA'd and/or completely retranscribed due to numerous errors, only work for a day or so before giving the job a chance, or they never perform the work at all they agreed to take, thereby leaving the MTSO in the lurch, which in turn costs them the account altogether due to missed TAT.

From a disabled worker's point of view: We appreciate that we are given a chance to work despite our disabilities, and we are going to put forth our best effort to prove we can in fact perform the work because we appreciate a job.

My 2 cents from all sides of the coin.
All sides of the coin addensum - 2 sides of coin
[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think companies are targeting the hiring of the disabled and retired, just trying to tap into a larger pool of US-based MTs as they did with military spouses, as a large number of MTs are retiring or leaving the field completely.

The bottom line is to hire somebody qualified, whether that person is disabled or not.
All sides of the coin - Disabled guy
[ In Reply To ..]
I so agree with you. And just as an aside--I have been MTing for a good many years and never ONCE have I taken a day off--for my disability issues or for anything else--that was not a scheduled day off. I wonder how many of our abled colleagues can say that? I know some MTs who called in with "migraines" so they could go skiing. How ethical is that?
Reality - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
There may be reasons that others are being hired instead of you regardless of your skills; your attitude really stinks.
Attitude - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, good luck to you. As far as attitude is concerned, you do not know me or my attitude. Actually from reading the responses on this board, it appears that there is a hostile attitude among the respondents to sincere questions asked. Seriously, I do work at a hospital, I have seen this happening, and I have read it in the magazine. Again, I apologize for hitting home with some people, apparently, or if I offended anyone. Again, just merely wanting some information, not a hostile response from an MT with an attitude problem. Again, I guess my questions were answered with the hostile responses on this board.

Good luck to you all.
I hope you still believe that when you're only - (see msg)
[ In Reply To ..]
making 2-3 cpl someday, have no health insurance, work 14-hour days, 7 days a week, have no 2nd income in your household, only yours, and are still assumed by your employer to be just transcribing for pin money. Or a "hobby".
The difference between you and I - must be vast
[ In Reply To ..]
Because I wont' work for 2-3 cpl, provide my own health insurance, no need to work 14 hours 7 days a week. I'm already self-supporting, have been for years and do quite nicely and I've NEVER been assumed by an employer that I'm doing this for pin money.

HOWEVER, I've hired lots of MTs who have wanted to do it as a hobby and now they are being pushed aside for the "real" MTs such as the disabled person who posted and the others who've commented about the REALITIES. I still feel your view is whack and have no clue where you live but can tell you there are many MTSOs in my MT circle and NONE of them operate like you describe. You know, all informed that you are because you read an article. :)
Vast difference - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
That is great for you, seriously, because in my past experience MOST ALL MTs were considered as doing this for "extra money" and considered as such; I heard people even say this, i.e. "mom money," "extra money," etc.

As far as "whack," that sounds kind of unprofessional from any perspective, seriously. :-) It is great that the "real" MTs are taking precedence over the "hobby MTs," since it used to be the other way around. As far as "because I read an article," that is only one case that basically confirms what I've seen happening over the past few years. This is not a speculation on my part as I have seen it happen on more than a couple of occasions.

Please remember that not every business or everyone is the same as there are no set standards that anyone follows. The only standard that seems to be followed is to take it cheap and for no benefits, i.e. see what they can get for next to nothing -- race to the bottom. What some people consider as self-supporting and livable is not self-supporting and livable to another. Sometimes I believe that the "it's what you are used to" is being used as truth (I've heard this said) and that it has become the norm to try to push people down to a "new what you are used to." (It is no just the MT business, other business too, although MT business is seriously degrading.)
Vast difference - to MT - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
What the heck is a hobby MT? And you wonder why other people are getting the jobs? I've worked my way up the ladder as an MT and consider myself a professional. I have a great job with great benefits, and no I don't "work cheap." You are obviously too young to know what it is like to be a retiree - many retired people work because they have to - Social Security is not enough so don't assume that they are taking advantage of the system. If you think the job is so degrading and horrible why are you here asking about it? Yes I should let this go but your ignorance about how things are in the real world really shows in what you have written here.
Vast difference to MT - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
You might not realize that we have PAID into Social Security all these years. I was an MT back in the golden age when I could make 70-90K a year with fat California contracts from the medical schools. I have often paid taxes in the 35% bracket. So, don't accuse me ot "taking" anything by being on Social Security. It is MY money that went into it in the first place. I suspect that as you progress in the MT field, your attitude will do you in. If your attitude of snobbish about MTing comes across in the workplace, lots of good luck to you. And don't forget, one day you will be a retiree, too.
Your article - Read it again
[ In Reply To ..]
I read the article. What YOU took from it is NOT what it said. I'd recommend reading it again.

I've been in the MT business for over 35 years and while there were APPLICANTS who were "Johnny Moms" never ever in all these years have I seen an MTSO TARGET them. We want qualified, knowledgeable people, who want to treat the job as a professional commitment. If ANYTHING we shied away from the Johnny Moms because they simply were looking for something a little extra.

Your view is just so opposite of the reality of MT, I'm not sure I can continue discussing it. It's just simply NOT a reality in the real MT world.

Your sweeping generalities and "I heard" just don't substantiate an intelligent point of view as you're obviously espousing what you think is someone else's view.
"I heard" - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I find it interesting that I ask questions of working MTs and I have received many hostile remarks and hostile assumptions. I think just the remarks to my questions tells me a lot about the current working environment for many MTs, i.e. must be stressed to the point of anger and hostility toward others.

My "sweeping generalities of I heard" are not things that "I heard" and that I have repeated as what I believe is someone else's point of view as assumed. The questions that I asked were taken from recent experiences that I have in the MT world. The MTSO may not target the "Johnny Moms," and I can't speak as someone who worked for MTSO; therefore, please consider that before posting a hostile comment. I worked as an MT for 20 years in hospitals and what I have experienced over the last few years is that these organizations have and are targeting "Johnny Moms," retirees, and others who can work sporadically for the organization because they have another income, albeit may be low it is still steady income.

My questions were aimed at whether someone could still work as an MT anymore, if the MT pay was still their only income, i.e. is MT pay something steady and dependable like it used to be.
"Pin Money" - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
That won't happen, seriously. I won't and can't work for that unsustainable, unlivable "wage." If things are that bad, take a chance; the bottom has already been reached.
To MT - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
To put it bluntly, that is BS.
I didn't mean it to be against the obese or disabled. - It was meant to point out that - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
in the two, oh-so-dishonest, industries of health insurance and medical transcription, they will use ANY excuse they can to make that extra dollar for themselves.

MT dying - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are wrong about jobs going to retirees and people with disabilities. I also think your statement is very unfair. I work a 40-hour week and never run out of work. If hospitals are hiring people for full-time employment and then not offering it, that is their problem and an issue for employee and employer to resolve. Running out of work in hospitals does happen during times of low census. The skill set for MT has changed to the degree that people need to know how to edit VR and need to know how to work with EHR systems such as Epic. I'm really not sure what you are asking; do you want to get back into MT? You mention having an education and other work experience. I love MT and plan to work in that field for as long as possible, and yes, I had planned to do it part-time into retirement. I don't think it is dying because those of us who want to work and remain adaptable to the changes should still be able to find jobs, but that is just my opinion.

My heck why don't you all take a chill pill and relax. - addicted2dew

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think she was trying to single anybody out. Everybody's just a tad too sensitive. She's just asking some questions. Get off her dang back. You can ask me MT, I won't rip you a new one but yes MT sucks royally. If I were you, I'd be for getting some good running shoes!!!!!

Where do you begin again? - Andy

[ In Reply To ..]
First, with a change of attitude. Second, with the realization that you yourself are only one accident or major illness away from being a disabled person yourself.

Judging by what I see happening at my employer, - Doppelganger - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's rapidly going to 50% offshored, and 50% VR. The quality of the VR work doesn't seem to be getting any better, and it's imperative that it be edited by MTs who know what they're doing. Unfortunately, the pay for VR editing is far below the skill-level required to do it.

If the Indians were better than they are (which they are not), I would see all the VR editing going to India. But they can't even edit their own work - that has to be done in the U.S., as well.

Actual straight transcription for the MT seems to be drying up even more rapidly than I ever imagined. I still see a glimmer of hope for VR editors, and those who edit offshore transcription, but only IF they are able to organize and demand higher pay for what they do. They're currently in a good bargaining position right now, because if they don't edit VR and Indian transcription, who will?

In the United States? Yes. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

I'm Dying Here
Jun 26, 2015

"Hobbies include writing, sexual toys, and poetry." S/B "Hobbies include writing short stories and poetry." ...

Is MT A Dying Field??
Oct 26, 2009

is MT a dying field?? i hear voice recogintion will make mts obsolete plus companies are outsourcing work to India. ...

Do You All Think This Is A Dying Career?
Dec 23, 2011

I just basically would like some honest opinions on this subject. ...

Another Dying Field...
Mar 28, 2012

I hope you'll watch this video about photojournalists.  It's very interesting all on its own, but particularly how the major news agencies are refusing to pay for professional quality and using free amateur photos instead. In particular, I would like you to observe what the expert Ed Greenberg says about how photojournalists are viewed by the news agencies - as "passive and childlike".  People who are too timid to protest the way they are being treated.  People ...

Hang MT As A Dying Profession. I'm Going To Be MA.
Oct 30, 2012

At least MA skills can be used for other things and can be a stepping stone to other careers, and you can get a da** job almost anywhere. Sick of being sold down the river by hospitals whose administration doesn't have the stones to tell you they're getting rid of you, but throw out vague hints now and expect you to catch on, so 2 years later they can say "well we told you to look into further education..." My hospital can kiss my posterior. I'm a very darn good MT and th ...

Call-In Dictation System - To Replace Dying Lanier 800
Apr 28, 2010

Looking to replace dying Lanier 800 Call-In System.  Any suggestions?  Any warnings against particular brands?  Approximately 35 dictators, 5 on-site MTs, average of 2,600 minutes monthly of call-in.  Thanks!! ...