A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Best surgical instruments books - New to OP Notes

Posted: Dec 19, 2013

For you all who do OP notes, what resources do you use to find the surgical equipment?  I have been an MT for quite a while, but I have just started doing OP notes and thank goodness I have access to other reports, but sometimes it takes a while to wade through so many reports to find a similar one.  So, I figured it might be easier to have a book at hand that had many of the instruments.  If you all have books, which ones do you recommend? 

Thank you in advance! :)

Stedman's - cloverport

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a lot of Stedman's books, but I do know there are probably a lot of websites. Maybe someone can give you names of those :-)

Stedman's Medical and Surgical Equipment Words....sm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
It is available in book and CD format.

google is my best friend - my stedman books are all - dusty - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Totally Confused On The "endo" Surgical Instruments
Nov 18, 2012

Stedmans has endobag, Endoshears. endoscissors, Endo catch bag, EndoCinch...and on and on.  In other words no rhym or reason. and then you google and its all over the map.  Im going by Stedmans, anyone else find anything to the contrary? ...

Ophthalmology Instruments
Dec 10, 2009

Replying to probably old message in Google.  Correct spelling of instruments commonly used in cataract extraction:  Utrata forceps, cystitome.  Procedure: capsulorrhexis.  ...

Tympanoplasty Instruments *resolved*- Sm
Jul 18, 2014

I've seen other inquiries re: what s/l "barber" needle on tympanoplasty but can't find definitive reference (Is is eponymous and therefore capitalized?).   Re: the forceps - "Kalt" was closest I could find but don't see them being using in this type of procedure, and the ending letter sounds like a "b" or a "p".   "The external auditory canal was visualized once again.  A margin of 1 mm around the perforation was removed circumferentially; this was done with ...

Debridement Of Maxillary Sinus Using Suction And _____ Instruments?
Nov 08, 2011

Blank sounds like tuchogie or tuckogie.  Any suggestions?  Thanks! ...

Books Or Web?
Jan 31, 2010

i'm starting a new orthopedic acount. is there any reason for me to get orthopedic books like stedmans, or is it all out there on the web? does anyone have any experience with this? thanks! ...

What Are The Best Books For New MT's??
Dec 26, 2010

I really want to be the best MT I can be.  ...

New One For The Books...
May 25, 2012

This one really got me today....doc dictating a review of systems VR.  Self-explanatory I think. Dictated: Genitourinary. Speech wreck: Jenny Toe Urinary This system will never work!!! LOL ...

Reference Books
Nov 20, 2009

Question regarding use of reference books....I've been working for the same transcription company for 10 years and have kept very busy in that time, but as of the last six months, they have lost accounts and work has dropped off significantly.    I applied for a job last week that asked me which reference books I currently use.  To be honest, I haven't renewed any of my reference books in about 8 years, as I found it to be much, much quicker to locate terms via the Internet if you ...

Ophthalmology Books
Dec 09, 2009

The only ophthalmology book I am aware of is Stedman's.  Is there another one that is better?  I am only a little bit familiar with ophthalmology OP's and need a good book.  Thanks. ...

BOOKS TO DOWNLOAD
Mar 19, 2010

Does anyone know where I can download reference books to buy?  I would like to skip the wait for books and just download reference materials/resources.  Any ideas?  Looking for drug reference books, etc. ...

Discount Books
Apr 21, 2010

I have spent forever looking for where we can buy the discount books on MQCentral - can anyone help me????  ...

MT Books Question
Dec 08, 2012

Hi all, I have a bunch of Stedman's word books that I don't want to go through the trouble of selling.  I just want to maybe donate them somewhere in one swoop, but where would one donate something like this? I am not wanting to ship them anywhere, either. Any ideas, smart people? I stopped updating my books some years ago when our pays weren't what they were before that, and also with the Internet they weren't as big a necessity as years prior. I never updated all of ...

WORD BOOKS
Jan 06, 2013

Okay, are Word Books still being used these days?  I am beginning a unit on dermatology and having a difficult time with some of the expressions/words, etc.  If they are, what is the recommended Word Book?  From what I've seen online the books seems to be outdated?  Thanks for any input. ...

Reference Books?
Jul 07, 2013

Does anyone use actual reference books any longer?  I paid so much for Stedman's books and now I never use them.  I am a big Google fan.  ...

BOS And Other Books Needed?
Jun 06, 2015

I might soon be working for a new company and wondering if I should ramp up on my reference books. What are your must haves?  Do you use the BOS (helpful or no?)  Anyone use the online BOS; if so, user friendly or not? Any help, opinions much appreciated! ...

REFERENCE BOOKS - HELP WANTED!
Dec 16, 2009

I just started this new job 2 weeks ago working for a plastic surgeon.  Now trying to build my reference book library.  What books would you recommend?  I know I need a PDR...I'm having trouble deciding which one would be best.  I also am needing a good Plastic/Cosmetic surgery reference book.....any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Books At A Discount! Woohoo!
Mar 19, 2010

Gotta love the daily tips for reducing your QA submission.  We can order books at a discount and have it payroll deducted.  Cool! Let's see, I think I can do without electricity for a while.  There was a time when this "perk" was fine, when we made more money.   If they start offering food stamps, then they will have my attention. ...

Coding Books Recommendation
Jun 09, 2010

Does anyone recommend any beginning coding books to explore the field of coding and possibly get a head start while I am awaiting school?   Thanks so much. ...

Reference Books - Out Of Curiosity
Jul 19, 2011

Hello, MTs! I am back for another question! I do have a list of books I'm interested in purchasing from either Dorland's or Stedman's medical dictionary to Merck Manual's of Patient Symptoms (the list goes on, but I'm just naming a couple). Google is so wonderful when it comes to researching when you don't have anything, but I feel it's not completely reliable as having hardcopy materials. Out of curiosity, what book(s) can you not live without or work without ...

Websites Or Books For OP Terminology
Dec 01, 2011

Meant to post in the word help section.  Hopefully it gets moved.  Sorry. I have been a clinic transcriptionist for 14 years in all specialties but have very little hospital experience and no experience with OP notes.  I started a new job this week and was asked if I wanted to try hospital/OP notes so I said sure.  I figured since my production and accuracy were going to be lower due to the new platform, account specs, dictators, etc., it would be as good a time as ...

Books For Coding Classes (sm)
Mar 17, 2012

We are using the book "Basic ICD-9-CM Coding."  I would like to know what other books other schools are using for Coding I.  I do not think this book is the best for me!  Can anyone suggest any others? ...

Typing/Transcribing Books?
Aug 24, 2013

I suppose it would be difficult to type from copy again. It would have to be dictated in order to be easier to type since we are used to that now. I wonder how long it takes to adjust back to typing from hard copy? ...

Where To Sell Transcription Books?
Nov 19, 2013

Hi all, I recently left Andrews School, I wasn't able to succeed in the course.  I have the books and materials still from the course. What's the best way to go about selling it? Should I use ebay? Or would it be better to find a bookstore locally that buys them? How would I go about finding that? Any help is appreciated thanks,   - Ave ...

Know Of Any Good Ophthalmology Word Books?
Sep 22, 2010

I am looking for a great ophthalmology reference book, know any? Thanks ...

Question About Receiving Andrews Books
Feb 15, 2015

When you sign up for Andrews, do they send you the books/supplies all at once?  Do you happen to know what method they use for sending, FedEx, USPS, etc. ...

Do Any BOOKS Come With Career Steps Coding Program?
May 11, 2010

or is EVERYTHING on line.  Wondering how hard it would be to backtrack to study for exams? ...

Time To Update My Ref Books, Dictionaries, Etc. What Do You Suggest?
Jan 18, 2011

My reference resources are starting to show their age and I've decided to update them this year. I would like an opinion as to what is really worth the $$. Ability to use within Word 2010 is a plus and CD's are preferable to books. *Saunders Pharmaceutical Word Book ($41.95) vs QuickLook ($49). I currently have Saunders and really love it due to the fact that it regularly self-updates, shows methods of admin, dosages, gen/Rx, and indications for use, but is expired now and drugs are ...

Printed Books Versus CD Or Online Editions
Jun 01, 2011

I have been looking for several books and noticed that Stedman's site has a lot of their reference books in the form of CD and that there is also a Stedman's online site.  Do any of you have any opinions that you can offer as to the best investment? There's only about a $5 difference in price each regardless. Thanks ...

Fabulous Way To Save Money On Coding Books!
Aug 16, 2012

Now that I have your attention . . .it is THAT TIME of year again.  Before you order your 2013 code books, remember that there is only one ICD-9 diagnosis code change for 2013.  You do not need to buy a new book this year.  Just get the change from the CDC website and add it by hand.  Same with the procedures. There will be a gazillion CPT changes, sad to say, so get a head start on those.  The CPT books should be available soon, if not already.  The AMA publishes ...

What Do Hospitals Do With Their Coding Books From The Prior Year?
May 23, 2014

I was just wondering since each year the coding books are updated, what do hospitals do with the previous year's books?  There hasn't been an update to ICD-9 since 2012? Correct?     Thank you, PT ...