A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

tympanoplasty instruments *resolved*- sm - je suis MT

Posted: Jul 18, 2014

I've seen other inquiries re: what s/l "barber" needle on tympanoplasty but can't find definitive reference (Is is eponymous and therefore capitalized?).  

Re: the forceps - "Kalt" was closest I could find but don't see them being using in this type of procedure, and the ending letter sounds like a "b" or a "p".  

"The external auditory canal was visualized once again.  A margin of 1 mm around the perforation was removed circumferentially; this was done with a (s/l) [barber] needle and (s/l) [Kelb or Kalb] forceps."  

Thanks in advance for any/all help :) 

A co-worker was able to help.  We ended up with "Barbara" needle and "cupped" (duh me!) forceps.  

See link for some some good ENT templates, one of which had nearly the exact procedure terms.  

My Stedmands ENT book had Barber needle. nm - oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Barber needle - sm - je suis MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for that. I looked in our Stedman's ENT, as well as Tessier's Surgical Word Book, and found neither, but our books are old...like me ;)

So "Barber" was capitalized in your book?

Je suis MT...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just checked my "old" Stedman's Med & Surg words under needle, and it has Barbara. You know, the Stedman's books have been known to contain errors. Guess it could be either.
Thanks for the update - sm - je suis MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I hear you. I never found it in any of our books but the most convincing online references for the procedure seemed to be the Barbara needle so that's what we went with. Thanks again for the help :)

Similar Messages:

Remedy Email Says My Issue Is Resolved
Jan 11, 2013

It doesn't look very resolved to me! ...

Tympanoplasty Word
Jun 08, 2011

He is saying ' the incus ___ junction'.  Almost sounds like penial.  Is this right? ...

Malaise Head Fixation In A Tympanoplasty
Dec 03, 2014

I cannot find anything called a malaise head (or similar spelling). Type of procedure is a tympanoplasty without mastoidectomy and ear cartilage graft. Postoperative diagnosis is _____ head fixaction. Findings is _____ head fixation. Help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks, mt ...

Ophthalmology Instruments
Dec 10, 2009

Replying to probably old message in Google.  Correct spelling of instruments commonly used in cataract extraction:  Utrata forceps, cystitome.  Procedure: capsulorrhexis.  ...

Best Surgical Instruments Books
Dec 19, 2013

For you all who do OP notes, what resources do you use to find the surgical equipment?  I have been an MT for quite a while, but I have just started doing OP notes and thank goodness I have access to other reports, but sometimes it takes a while to wade through so many reports to find a similar one.  So, I figured it might be easier to have a book at hand that had many of the instruments.  If you all have books, which ones do you recommend?  Thank you in advance! :) ...

Debridement Of Maxillary Sinus Using Suction And _____ Instruments?
Nov 08, 2011

Blank sounds like tuchogie or tuckogie.  Any suggestions?  Thanks! ...

Totally Confused On The "endo" Surgical Instruments
Nov 18, 2012

Stedmans has endobag, Endoshears. endoscissors, Endo catch bag, EndoCinch...and on and on.  In other words no rhym or reason. and then you google and its all over the map.  Im going by Stedmans, anyone else find anything to the contrary? ...