A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Want to switch from MT to coding so badly - anon

Posted: Dec 09, 2013

I want to switch from MT to coding sooner rather than later but the problem is funds. It is so frustrating to barely make ends meet and have more month than money at times. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks for listening.

coding and TAA - Ari

[ In Reply To ..]
The unemployment office told me today that some one filed for M*Modal to be a TAA company therefore if you meet the guidelines and were laid off in addition to your unemployment being extended also you can get training for up two years during which time you get paid unemployment. I don't understand it completely I have to go listen to a 2-hour talk about what TAA is and how much training, etc I qualify for. They recommend you DO NOT train for coding at this time. The coding is going to drastically change I think after the first of the year and the curriculum for coding at this time will be totally different shortly. Some training schools aren't even taking new students now. So if you want to be trained in coding just hold off a while and if you have been laid off ask about the trade act and they may be able to train you for FREE. Hope this helps you.

Was looking into Andrews and - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Glenda told me they have already switched their cirriculum to meet the ICD 10. Thanks so much for your reply.

Why do you want to get into coding? My hospital outsources all the coding - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to a service. This service just recently had their entire staff go from employees to ICs. Why do coding when it will be going the way of transcription.
Make things clear, please - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You ars a noncoder talking about a field you know little about and do not understand.
Pretty clear to me - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The poster said "My hospital outsources all the coding to a service. This service just recently had their entire staff go from employees to ICs."

I appreciate all comments, especially someone posting their first-hand experience. Just because they are a 'noncoder' doesn't mean they aren't allowed to post. Your reaction makes me question your agenda.
Don't assume. I used to be a coder - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked hard to get my CCS, was an inpatient coder and did not like it so I completely changed careers. I am now a CNA working towards becoming an LPN. I still work at the same hospital where I was a coder, just as a CNA now. So, don't assume and accuse me of not knowing anything about coding. I know all too well everything about the HIM department and where it's headed.
OK, so you did not like your job - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You didn't like the job or the department. They were not a good fit for you. Nothing wrong with that.

My objection is to your belief that you "know all too well everything about the HIM department and where it is headed." If you are speaking of your feelings about that one hospital's department, that's fine. Maybe you do.

I don't think you know everything about HIM in general and do not know where the industry is headed. You do not appear to have an HIM credential like an RHIA to indicate that you have any education to support your views, and your experience seems limited to one disgruntled job at one hospital. If you did have those credentials, it is unlikely that you would trade an HIM salary for CNA or LPN.

You also appear to be misinformed about the nature of contract coding. Those are actually very good jobs that pay well. It is nothing like the situation in MT.

Job satisfaction - Anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
I see nothing wrong with changing gears, even if it paid less. Maybe this person wanted to be directly involved in patient care. If she did not enjoy being a coder, chances are she is not going to enjoy HIM. I admire anyone courageous enough to try something entirely new. LPN salaries are not that shabby, by the way. Any time someone has to go from a fully benefited employee with all the perks to a contract employee, they lose a lot.
I guess it depends on where you are - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
CNA pay here is poor. LPN is not much better. That is largely due to the glut of RNs being produced by 2 community colleges with branches everywhere and a university program that churns out BSNs.

We don't hire CNAs at all and only use LPNs in clinics, not the hospital.

As noted above, nothing wrong with changing your mind, not liking something, hating management, or just deciding to turn over a new leaf. The problem is in providing negative advice after deciding that the entire career field is bad based on your personal dislikes or limited experience.

Coding is a good fit for some people. I think it is wrong to steer people away from it because it didn't work out for you.

You do not know the circumstances involved in that situation, or even if it happened at all. It might be that they did not lose anything. Contract coders ars well-paid.
The hospital where I volunteer - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Is in the process of hiring 5 coders, any maybe more next year. Their department is internal only and there are no plans to outsource.

They are, however, looking to downsize the amount of CNAs, and want to replace then with more LPNs and RNs. They want to be able to offer a higher quality of care and service.

So, you see? It depends. One person's experience is not equivalent to the whole.

The "advice" about coding is wrong. - Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

[ In Reply To ..]
Your information and your unemployment office are wrong to the point of being bizarre. How people who are in the business of advising others can so totally screw this up is beyond me, as is how people who don't understand what they are talking about can think it is perfectly fine to advise others.

I don't know about schools not taking students. I have not heard of it. However, if a school misunderstood this to the point that they felt they had to shut down, or had to shut down until they could get their act together, that should tell you something. Find a school that isn't incompetent.

Your unemployment office gave you terrible advice - Student

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, ICD9 is changing to ICD10. Yes, it is different, but it is still coding. Many things are still the same. I am learning both right now while working in a coding department. If you want to learn coding, there is no reason to wait! The only schools I've heard that have stopped taking students are the ones who have to put prospective students on wait lists because they are full.

Secondly, no job is totally and completely secure. I wish I could tell you coding will not be outsourced. What I can tell you is, coding is all about bringing money in and management takes it VERY SERIOUSLY. So please, if you want to learn coding don't let people discourage you.

If you are absolutey - Sure

[ In Reply To ..]
That coding is what you want to do, I would recommend Andrews as the way to go straight into coding. If you want to learn how to code both IP and OP and get credentials from AAPC and AHIMA when you are done, this is the way. They let you make payments. It is a tough course, but if you want it it will work for you. That's what I did, others may have other good ideas.

Idea - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is great but do make sure it is what you want. I would also investigate the job market for coders where you live; it will be easier for you if you live in a metropolitan area versus a rural setting unless you are willing to relocate. My advice, though: Take some additional courses related to health information management or health information technology, maybe even some additional things on the reimbursement side in addition to coding so that you can expand your job search. I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but if your coding job ever gets outsourced, you will have some other options.

That is what I am afraid of... - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding going offshore. Not wanting to start a debate but it is a real fear of mine. Any advice?

Yes - advice

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't live your life in fear.

My advice would be to get out of the medical field - altogether. Its a total shambles,

[ In Reply To ..]
and getting worse every month. Jobs keep disappearing, pay keeps getting worse, and the current insurance mess is exacerbating the problem. Health care in America is a joke, and a laughing stock to many other, more civilized countries in this world.

I'd start with the AAPC course - about $1500

[ In Reply To ..]
and get your CPC. But that's just me. Most people here will tell you it's Andrews or nothing.

Can you tell me why and - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
what to do after the AAPC course to get my CCS? Thanks so much for your info!

just think it's the quickest way - to get started

[ In Reply To ..]
Then once you have that credential, you may or may not work toward the CCS. You could continue adding to your knowledge base through the AAPC, rather than AHIMA. Check the website here:
That is one way to do it - Just understand this
[ In Reply To ..]
You can start off with the AAPC course, but be aware that nothing they teach covers inpatient coding. You can take everything they offer and still not come anywhere near CCS material.

If you were thinking the CPC-H course is inpatient coding, it is not. I am certain of that because I am a CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H.

Also be aware that if you do intend to go on for the CCS, there are few programs teaching it at all, apparently none teaching it alone, and you may end up having to take what you already had over again.

Andrews - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot of people here recommend Andrews because it seems to be the only course that will teach enough for a student to pass BOTH the CPC and the CCS, and have a good record of passing scores. It's a one stop shop, really. You may run across other schools that teach toward the CPC and the CCA, but the CCA is really a wash as a credential and best avoided.

Also, AHIMA recently changed their schooling requirements to such a degree that their own CCS course doesn't qualify a person to take the exam. Andrews meets/exceeds those requirements.

I also believe, though am not sure, that as far as the CPC goes, Andrews' course is such that once you pass the CPC, you do not have to be listed as a CPC-A. If you take the AAPC course, you would still have the -A designation after your certification, which doesn't really endear you to potential employers. However, like I said, I'm not for sure on that, so I would suggest calling Andrews and talking to Linda personally (she's quite nice by the way and not pushy).

Btw, I am not a coder, nor affiliated with Andrews. I am interested in coding and this is just info I have gleaned from both this board and my own research on other sites.
Removal of CPC-A - Anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
See link to AAPC website.

http://www.aapc.com/certification/apprentice_status.aspx
Yes, but I still believe the Andrews course somehow - bypasses that.. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No, they do not - Anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know who told you that, but they were mistaken. Read all of the requirements - do you see Andrews listed anywhere? AAPC is the certifying board, offers a course and sponsors the exam. Do you not think they would recognize their own graduates and waive the requirement for them instead of another school? Rules are rules, sorry.
My mistake - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Here's the post where I got the info I was thinking about, but misremembered:

http://forum.mtstars.com/398172.html

Summation: Under the Andrews course, you still have the A, but you can waive 1 year experience due to the course.

I still recommend talking with Linda directly to verify, though.
The answer - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
"Submit proof showing completion of at least 80 contact hours of coding education AND one letter, on letterhead, signed from your employer verifying one year of on-the-job experience (externships accepted) using the CPT, ICD-9-CM, or HCPCS Level II code sets."

Andrews meets the time requirement to satisfy one of the two years, same as the AAPC courses.

Correct - Anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
In that respect, Andrews is no different than any other school. A person will have the apprentice designation after their name, regardless of program, until they have worked for a year. Calling Linda Andrews will get you nowhere.

Similar Messages:

Switch To Coding, Folks
Oct 15, 2012

Making The Switch From MT To Coding
Jun 16, 2015

Hi all, I've been an MT for the past 5 years and am sitting for the CPC next month to switch to coding.  Who will hire me as a CPC-A?  Does anyone know a good online company to work for that they're willing to tell about?  :)  Thanks.  ...

Proofing Advice Needed Badly
May 03, 2013

I badly need your tips on proofing and what works for you.  I was always taught (sorry, old school) to type your document and then proof the entire thing, but that takes a long time, especially when documents are 30+ minutes long.  Using that method I do not get any errors.  But I am told I need to speed up, so I tried THEIR way of proofing as I go along, but last night made many errors, ugh!  What works for you?  Your tricks?  Your methods? Any tips on speeding up, ...

Do The Clients Even Have A Clue How Badly They Have Been Ripped Off By ASR?
Aug 14, 2013

Or do they think they can continue to put garbage in and get back a perfect report by the magic of this "wonderful technology."  Do they even know what type of trash it is producing??The first thing these developers did to rip off the health care providers was to tell them that they could simply dictate and it automatically would become patient record with no transcriptionist involved.  We knew that 99% of doctors would never change their style to meet the requirements to dictate accur ...

I Hate Working For Nuance So Badly.
Oct 16, 2013

I truly just hate ever day that I have to work for them. The days are sooooo long and seem never-ending.  Fifteen years of 99%+ accuracy and now I need a mentor?  Really?  WTH?  Switch me to a new, more difficult account and after 1 week tell me I suck so bad I have to be mentored?  Provide me with no list of physician names or local cities or names of local hospitals and expect my LPH to be up and running at full speed when I spend all my time Googling for info on an ar ...

KVM Switch
May 21, 2010

Does anyone use one of these and have tips on a good one, or even a bad one to avoid? I think I will invest in one and have been reading online reviews.  It seems a lot of them have little quirks that may be annoying....... ...

Switch To IC
Apr 24, 2013

My previous employer provided my computer and all the software.  I'm thinking about trying independent contracting since most of the jobs I've seen require your own equipment anyway, but how do you know what equipment to get?  Each company seems to have their own preferences.  I'd like to have what would work across the board if I need to work on several accounts.  I've read about using a different tax form too, but can anyone tell me what else I would nee ...

VR Switch Over?
Dec 22, 2013

Does anyone know when the VR switch over for hospitals and clinics has to take place? I was just laid off from my job due to it going to VR. I was told 2014 but wondered if anyone had specifics. Thanks! ...

New To ASR/Told Had To Switch To ME By 07/01
Jun 30, 2010

I am sweating this out, as everyone else has, and it is not working for me.  The rules are too vague, the training insufficient, and I am struggling with doing whatever I can to get through the report and trying to correct "correctly" - whatever way that really is, there is no explanation.  I don't know when to use F11.  I gave ASR a 4-month try 4-5 (?) years ago when it first was implemented, and see similar non-recognition issues, similar heading issues, and probably I am ...

Is It Possible To Request A Switch To Another CCM
Feb 16, 2012

x ...

KVM Switch Recommendations?
Apr 23, 2012

I don't know too much about KVM switches, but I am getting ready to start two new jobs and have two different computers.  I thought I might try one. Today, my foot pedal for my second job came in and low and behold, it is the same one for my first job.   Do any of you know if there is a KVM that will switch keyboard, video, monitor, headphones, AND foot pedal, and can you recommend one to me.  I'm trying to research, but all this techie jargon makes my head hurt an ...

Im Due To Switch To 7 Here Shortly
Jul 09, 2012

would be really nice if we didnt have to use the "dep" to search and not be allowed to be signed into the other one without that at the same time..Never used to be like that it is really annoying..They say check samples, well you check samples and there are none,in the meantime it kicks you out of the other and when you sign back into it it doesnt save your information so you start from scratch and they wonder why we have so much inactive time... ...

For Those Considering A Switch To Nursing
Jan 14, 2013

Something to consider before you invest in training.  Not saying don't do it, just be aware that you're not guaranteed a job when you graduate. http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t2 ...

Account Switch
Oct 24, 2014

Hi,  I have an opportunity to switch accounts and work with new manager and team.  Premise is works better with schedule, less out of work situations.  Anybody familiar with CCMH and the supervisor there?  Just want to know work statuses and things like that before I switch.  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks! ...

Switch From MTs To MMEs Has Started
Nov 10, 2009

Well folks, email today regarding yet another MQ program- Account Trustee- those of us with good quality scores have the HONOR of sending reports directly through to the client with 2 blanks or less, thus bypassing QA.  Instead of addressing the issue WHY QA is so backlogged (could it be because so many QA were underpaid and have left) this is the new decision.  ...

Companies That Don't Bait And Switch....
Nov 16, 2009

So disillusioned.  The company I loved for so long has turned into greedy liars.  Who in the MTSO world is still decent? ...

KVM Switch And A Foot Pedal
Jul 31, 2010

nm ...

Help...Account Wants To Switch From Tapes To ?
Sep 09, 2010

I have always transcribed either from a C-phone, tapes, or worked for a national that had their own dictation platform. My local account wants to switch from tapes to something similar to Emdat and wants my advice. He has very little dictation and just needs something that he can dictate from any phone, where I can access it from home. Obviously, I'm not up to speed on new technology so any friendly advice would be helpful. Thank you! ...

Need Help With Shuting Down A KVM Switch Situation ...
Oct 08, 2010

Yesterday I had someone fix 2 computers with a KVM switch to share the monitor and keyboard... I know someone on here has this situation too,  How do you shut if down or turn it off... I did shut one down, but then could not get to the other with tapping the button twice as I do to switch between them...   Thanks in advance for any help... ...

How Many MTs Switch Accounts Daily/every Other Day?
Oct 20, 2010

Lately I have not been able to stay on the same account more than 2 days in a row.  Since my primary that I was on for 6 years went VR and I did not go with it, I have been switched from one account to another to another.  They say my work is great but I do not like being a floater.  I did not mind at first because at least I still had a job; however, this does have negative consequences on my income since I have to constantly learn new specifics and docs, etc.  I am beg ...

BabbleType Bait And Switch
Jun 27, 2012

Hi, all,  Remember the most recent ad that BabbleType placed here at MTStars?  They were practically pleading with MTs and QAs to contact them and clear out their huge back log (tens of thousands of audio files they said). There was no mention of an exam; just contact them and request an assignment.  If you need training to be a QA editor, no problem -- just ask, and they would provide training.  Blah, blah, blah.  The direct quote in the ad was this:&nbs ...

Is Anyone Still Using DQS-7 Or Did They Make Everyone Switch Back To 6?
Jul 13, 2012

x ...

IMedX Bait And Switch?
Oct 09, 2012

Tested for iMedX and passed the below Surgical job they had posted: Specialty: Surgery Job Description: Current openings for OPs (ambulatory surgery/multiple specialties) accounts as IC (Independent Contractor). Must have approximately 5 years of experience in acute care/hospital transcription. Coverage is needed 7 days. Okay....even though this job is STILL posted on another MT site they are telling me they are putting it on HOLD for a few more weeks and posting another add for a nu ...

Careers MTs Switch To--Ideas?
Sep 06, 2013

What type of careers are any one of you who are leaving MT or who are former MTs are retraining for? I'm very undecided. I'm not too crazy about being in school a long time or least longer than 1-1/2 to 2 years. I thought about coding but heard that that field is changing too like MT. I would like to stay in the medical field but I'm not sure about the degree of direct patient contact I want. I thought about radiology technician but not really sure. Any ideas to at least all ...

Can A KVM Type Switch Be Used ONLY For The Keyboard?
Apr 01, 2014

can a KVM type switch be used ONLY for the keyboard?, not the monitors or mouse? If so, what would i need to plug into it then?  been too long since I used mine.  Thanks. ...

Toggle To Switch Between Computers, Using
Oct 06, 2014

Think someone here gave me the name of a gizmo I could use to toggle between 2 computers using the same keyboard and monitor but cannot remember the name. Anyone here know? Thanks. ...

My Clients Want To Switch From Tapes To Digital Sm
Oct 19, 2009

My two docs, whom I have typed for 6 years, are considering going to digital dictation from tapes. I told them I would look into it and need some advice. I can't seem to find how to search the archives on this new board...can some of you offer me some names of transcription platforms that I can check out? I would be most appreciative.... ...

How Do I Switch My Shorthand Program From One Computer To Another
Feb 09, 2012

My computer crashed and likely I have my shorthand program on an external hard drive.  I do I put it on my computer ...

Switch From MModal To Nuance-am I Crazy??
May 20, 2012

I'm considering leaving MModal to go to Nuance, as MModal won't give me a day shift, and Nuance says they do.  Would I be crazy to switch?  Thanks. ...

Flip Switch In Order To Use 2 Computers
Oct 29, 2012

Just bought Flip USB with audio KVM switch in order to be able to have 1 dedicated computer for work only and the other computer for unrelated work items. Have never used one of these before and just wondering if you were in your work program on 1, if you switch over to the other computer for say checking email, does the work computer shut down? I would hate for that to happen and perhaps lose work. Thanks. ...