A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Proofing advice needed badly - d

Posted: May 03, 2013

I badly need your tips on proofing and what works for you.  I was always taught (sorry, old school) to type your document and then proof the entire thing, but that takes a long time, especially when documents are 30+ minutes long.  Using that method I do not get any errors.  But I am told I need to speed up, so I tried THEIR way of proofing as I go along, but last night made many errors, ugh!  What works for you?  Your tricks?  Your methods? Any tips on speeding up, but NOT increasing errors.  God, I feel stupid!

I proof like you... - oldschool

[ In Reply To ..]
Type, then read report through to catch stupid typos and dropped words. I don't listen to voice file as I proof unless I had to blank something.

Tried proofing as I go for about a week once - it was a disaster and took me longer than my way, and I just never felt fully confident that I was really submitting a perfect report. Maybe I'm just too old a dog to learn a new trick.

I re-listen - lexluther

[ In Reply To ..]
I re-listen to the whole voice file and read through the report, but I don't have extremely long voice files like that. I do speed up the voice as much as I can though.

I just do spelling and grammar check, no time to - re-read document...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are doing all straight typing for a reasonable line rate, then I would take the time to look it over - Give it a quick skim, spellcheck and grammar check, but even then I would not re-listen and re-read the whole thing unless it was a hard dictator and I had a few blanks.

I've been doing 99% VR for the last couple of years, so not a lot of straight typing for me.

old school - MaxCynical

[ In Reply To ..]
How can you edit and not listen to the voice file? Particularly when SR generally makes such a mess of everything. I mean, are you just guessing that speech rec generates exactly what the doctor said? Just curious . . .

MaxCynical...see message - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
No one said anything about not listening while they edit SR. We are talking about straight transcription, not SR, and doing a complete read through when finished.

LOL - oldschool

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry Max - this is straight typing. Have to admit I'm chuckling at the thought of editing and not listening to the voice file - wouldn't that be a hoot, LOL.

We're talking proofing after the report is done.
oldschool - MaxCynical
[ In Reply To ..]

(I should know better than to assume) but so few people do straight transcription anymore I just assumed it was editing. Surprised  Sorry.  My Bad.

I stopped doing anything but a cursory eyeball of - the document afterward, mainly - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
looking for anything glaringly wrong. At what they pay, I just can't afford to slow myself down any further than I already am by the company's pokey software. So, I just take my chances and hope for the best. I'm almost out of this ridiculous field, anyway.

I started out doing it all (sm) - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
But after researching/correcting the constant lack of demographic info, finally finding the right patient, looking up every "Dr. Peterson" for sp., first name and fax number, searching prior reports for missing information, last night I said to hell with all this free labor these people are getting. I was making a maximum of $4.00 per hour when including all these free services. I'm just trying to stick to editing, or the work we actually get paid for and let QA, management, or the client do their own research!

Doing it all - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
As a QA person, I do think it is our job to research demographic info, doctor names, etc. I can also see not wanting to take too much time researching blanks, that is my job. On the flip side, I see things that are just careless mistakes, the MTs who are working on our account should know better, some of them are critical errors. I work for the client and am supposed to be the last step in the QA process and I still see a lot of errors (some of them critical, i.e., incorrect meds and incorrect lab values) that should not be occurring. The frustrating/discouraging thing for me is that my feedback never seems to get addressed. When I worked as an MT, I also would edit as I transcribed and that seemed to work well for me too. I wasn't the fastest person but got good QA scores. Quality doesn't seem to matter as much these days, but I always took pride in my work (I am talking back in the day before production and low pay became the standard).
I have to respectfully disagree... - Angie
[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked directly for doctors and charged .14 cents per line I did include the required research in my line rate. However, when we make less than a third of what we made 20 years ago, we cannot possibly include all this free labor. It is the dictator's job to enter the correct demographics and know how to use his/her EMR software - not ours. We do not get paid for that - they do.

Next point is that most dictators do not even know the basics of how to dictate. They have no right to not hit the pause button when reviewing a chart, requiring we sit there without any compensation because they are too lazy or ignorant to hit a pause key.

How much time does it take the doctor to include the first name of a physician he wants to cc - a 5th of a second? How much time does it take us when we don't even know what town the doctor is in, we obtain a list of doctors with that last name and have to search out their specialties to try to narrow it down to the right doctor. If the dictators are too lazy to dictate the first name, they can spend the time looking up the doctors info. Again, we are not paid for that.

When you get errors in medications and dosage, you need to look at the dictator first as I would bet that 99% of the time it is dictator error. If they dictate the wrong medication or dose (frequently) they are not paying us to review the last 10-20 patient reports to confirm that they really are on this medication. The dictators should be more conscientious and put some effort into maintaining the accuracy of their patient's records.

Just as you are seeing careless transcription mistakes, we have a tremendous increase in dictator mistakes and just plain apathy to their patient's wellbeing, i.e. deliberately slurring through a ROS or PE which is just plain irresponsible and risking the jobs of good MTs who will be penalized or fired for the blanks they have to leave when it is in the patient's best interest not to just transcribe the usual phrases whether you actually hear them or not.

I do agree that it is our job to provide an accurate transcript of what the dictator actually dictated. It is their responsibility not to make continued careless mistakes.

You said: "before production and low pay became the standard" - there you have it in a nutshell..sm
[ In Reply To ..]
"before production and low pay became the standard" people had time to do more research and re-read and even re-listen to the whole report if necessary. Most research comes with the territory such as labs, medications etc. But doctor's names, addresses for cc's...not at 4 cpl. Sorry, but at 4 cpl who has time to look up Dr. John Smith located in a different state? And you are lucky if you get the first name "John" most of the time they will just say copy Dr. Smith.

You cannot expect people to perform clerical work when they are being paid based on production at 4cpl. My job is to edit or transcribe your document, not perform secretarial duties and look up information that the doctor should have right in front of him when he sits down to dictate; such as the patient's names, medical record numbers, *first* and *last names* of the physicians to recieve copies.

I will hold myself responsible for the content of the body of the report such as labs and medications, diagnosis etc. but the physicians should be held accountable for demographics and cc's.

I do that too, plus my grammar feature of spellcheck - activated

[ In Reply To ..]
My platform will just pick up spelling errors when I sign off a report, but before I send, I glance over it for a grammar check, reviewing the underlined green things. Sometimes I've caught gross expander errors and other minor, but important things I've inadvertently typed (sometimes I'll randomly and inexplicably add an 'ly' as I go).

Also, with the dictators who just dictate streaming thoughts without any sense of ending a thought (the most challenging part of transcribing to me), I always re-read, but usually on a paragraph-by-paragraph method.

edit as you go - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned to edit as I type. Not a skill I set out to do, just kind of realized after being an MT for years that I was doing it.

At rates these days, I don't see how anyone can afford to listen to an entire dictation again, even the short ones.

I guess the best way to explain "editing as you type" is that when the dictator pauses for whatever reason, I skim what I have been typing for errors. If I need to hit the pedal to rewind, there may be a few seconds that I have to wait for the dictation to catch up to the place I wanted it. While relistening for half a sentence or so, I'm quickly proofreading previous sentences.

This editing technique happens so quickly, but you can train your eyes to do it. Not to brag, but I rarely get less than 100% on QA, so it is an effective way to edit.

I'm still working on edit as I go. - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I catch blatant errors as I go, but I am still proofing everything because I am still finding little things like "he" vs. "she". I also use their lengthy pauses to proof and have a quick short form to mark the spot. "kk" puts an aqua highlighted "PR" so I can get back to it quickly and not risk leaving it in a document.

Voice Wreck or transcribing? - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
When I do straight typing, I just proof as I go, then eyeball the entire report before sending.

With ASR, I listen and fix as I go, then listen again and fix anything I may have missed because my quality slipped.

So, then I got in trouble for my low production. And then I quit and am not doing MT anymore.

Similar Messages:

Want To Switch From MT To Coding So Badly
Dec 09, 2013

I want to switch from MT to coding sooner rather than later but the problem is funds. It is so frustrating to barely make ends meet and have more month than money at times. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks for listening. ...

Do The Clients Even Have A Clue How Badly They Have Been Ripped Off By ASR?
Aug 14, 2013

Or do they think they can continue to put garbage in and get back a perfect report by the magic of this "wonderful technology."  Do they even know what type of trash it is producing??The first thing these developers did to rip off the health care providers was to tell them that they could simply dictate and it automatically would become patient record with no transcriptionist involved.  We knew that 99% of doctors would never change their style to meet the requirements to dictate accur ...

I Hate Working For Nuance So Badly.
Oct 16, 2013

I truly just hate ever day that I have to work for them. The days are sooooo long and seem never-ending.  Fifteen years of 99%+ accuracy and now I need a mentor?  Really?  WTH?  Switch me to a new, more difficult account and after 1 week tell me I suck so bad I have to be mentored?  Provide me with no list of physician names or local cities or names of local hospitals and expect my LPH to be up and running at full speed when I spend all my time Googling for info on an ar ...

Proofing
Oct 20, 2009

would anybody proof for 2 cents per line?  that seems awfully low to me so just looking for some feedback.  ...

Proofing Your Work
Feb 24, 2010

Yikes, I am glad I proof my work.  The physician dictated "palpation reveals a firm mass";  I had typed "firm mass (but without the M in mass)".   I am relieved that I caught it! ...

Proofing Tips
Jun 01, 2012

Would anyone be willing to share their proofreading tips. I find that VR requires a much higher level of concentration and focus to catch errors. The text on the screen can become a blur. After a couple of hours it is so easy to "hear" what the voice engine blew out and not catch a small but significant error. I am finding that something that needs to be deleted from the text is actually harder to catch than something that needs to be changed or added. Any tips would be helpful. I do see m ...

Proofing Of Vasectomy Procedure
Nov 19, 2009

I was wondering if someone could quickly proof and give me feedback on a vasectomy procedure.  This was a doctor with quite an accent and I am not terribly famiilar with some of the terminology for this type of procedure.  The left vas was grasped with a towel clip through the skin and a short linear incisoni was made down to the vas and the vas was cleaned of adventitial tissue.  Cautery was used to control the bleeding of the skin and around the vas.  The proximal end of t ...

Safely Elminate Proofing?
Aug 10, 2010

I have read on here before that some people do not proof (only as they go) before sending their reports.  I am wondering if there is really a safe way to do that? I always proof and most often finding something wrong.  Sometimes I accidentally use an incorrect expander.  When I am typing and reading as I go, I see it expanding but don't notice it is the wrong thing until I go back and proof.  Other times I skip over a word, which is a pain, because when proofing I am of ...

Why Would My Reports Suddenly Go Through Proofing?
Jan 10, 2013

Haven't failed an audit, tier 3, and suddenly my reports are going through proofing today. And the only changes made are those preference ones where it doesn't matter anyway... (I still don't get why a proofer would waste time changing stuff that doesn't make a difference.) Crazy... ...

Compensation For Research, Proofing, And Demos?
Dec 11, 2012

So I guess that was just legal boilerplate for CYA, since there were no pay changes for EditScript.  Like what we're paid per line automatically includes enough "extra" to cover for these duties, supposedly.  "Base Pay Program Philosophy .... Compensates for all time spent typing and editing reports; to include researching, proofing, and demographics" (I always screenshot these conferences/presentations, since we never get any written/e-mail followup that includes all the ...

Anyone Transition To MT/Editor To Copy Proofing Or Editing Non-medical?
Mar 09, 2015

Just wondering if anyone has been able to cross over to that field?  I'm currently working on my first proof/editing job for a novel written by a family member for free as a favor to them and really enjoy that type of work versus the structured MT/Editor work I've done for over a decade.  I would love to get out of MT all together if possible and was wondering if any of you were able to make that transition.  Thanks in advance! ...

OB/GYN Help Needed....
Dec 12, 2009

This patient is in for cold symptoms.  First assessment listed is:  Pregnancy via in vitro fertilization - doc goes on to dictate what s/l Patient is D G 2 P-0-0-1-0 Not familiar with the way this is done and not sure if I'm typing that correctly, can anyone help?  Thanks!     ...

Lab Help Needed
Feb 09, 2011

I am typing a new doctor.  He said FBS is 150.  ACBA1C is 5.9.  Blood sugars are about 150.  I know the A1C part, but was it ACB.  He does not take a break, but runs ACBA1C together.  Any help appreciated. ...

This Is Why We Are Needed
Jun 29, 2013

Work Needed
Nov 18, 2009

I was informed that some companies will train you, or fund your education, and then you work for them. Is this true? What are the companies? I am really interested in becoming a MT. ...

Insight Needed
Jan 15, 2010

I have been reading your posts for sometime now and I can’t  imagine how much this field has changed for some of you who are veterans.  I have been considering going to Career Step through a partnership program they have with Fayetville Technical Community College. I would like some insight from those who are MT’s.  I do not expect to make the salary I am making now working in the legal field but what I am looking for (besides wanting to get away from lawyer ...

Experience Needed
Feb 05, 2010

Can someone please help me in finding out how I gain experience in medical transcribing.  I have completed a career diploma program from Brighton College.  Received a 3.945 gpa.  If it wasn't for the fact that I love learning I would think gaining an education is a waste of time. Thanks for any input. ...

Expertise Needed
May 20, 2010

Hi any help would be so much appreciated! I am thinking of going into MT. I have done a lot of research, some (well more than some) is negative as far as gaining employment, but then there are the positive comments. This is something that I really want to do, so I am going for it.. Can anyone please tell me if it would benefit me at all to get an AAS in Medical Transcription or would I be wasting my time and money. It is costly.   Thank you in advance to anyone who could help me out.. & ...

As If I Needed More Proof
May 21, 2010

You know, we hear tales, hope they're not true, but now I believe that the evil Q is intentionally sabotaging our work! I've been on 100% QA for failing my audit.  Yesterday I was being audited again, was aware of it and was working e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y carefully, very conscious and aware of everything I was doing.  My production was down a bit, but my accuracy was spot on!   As we all know, they audit 5 reports and average out the score.  My accuracy was 9 ...

This Is Why MTs Will Always Be Needed In Some Fashion
Jun 24, 2010

Dictated: A 69 year old man with history of hypertension, diabetes... type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia, admitted with sudden onset....admitted with subacute onset of ascites... of ascites and jaundice.....with subacute onset of progressive ascites and jaundice.  Imaging..... no, say,  Reason for consultation is a 69 year old man admitted with hypoglycemia in a setting of a .... 69 year old man witih history of type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia, admitted with persistent hypog ...

Website Needed
Sep 15, 2010

I came across a website this past summer from someone that posted on MTstars and cannot find it again.  It stated that if you were a graduate from another school you could still take some courses or mentoring from them to beef up your resume.  Please, if you know what I am talking about, let me know what it was.  This is driving me nuts!!! ...

Medication Help Needed!
Nov 19, 2010

Sounds like LATROLOSE for a medication.  The only PMH given is that the pt has a history of alcoholism.  The only thing I can find that comes close is Lactulose and I'm pretty sure that isn't it. ...

Medication Help Needed
Jan 14, 2011

Med, unsure what for, s/l Ves-o-nique 1 daily   no dosage or anything given...just 1 daily ...

Obstetrics Help Needed
Jan 23, 2011

I am working on a discharge summary for obstetrics by a Chinese physician and it is very difficult to understand him. In the HPI, he dictates what sounds like, "on the morning o addmission, the patient had a vaginal exam of 3cm-hand-placental cebo," I have listened over and over and cannot come up with what he might be dictating. Would anyone have an idea? I appreciate your help. ...

Mentor Needed
Feb 23, 2011

I am an MT student of At-Home Professions with a course completion of 76%, and have landed a temporary job with my primary care physician. The job entails transcribing 2,000 patient files for her clients as she closes her practice. I have been told the files will be relatively simple. However, being less than a Newbie I feel I need support and have been told mentoring is a standard practice in the medical transcription profession. Are there any old timers out there who might give ...

Quick Help Needed.
Feb 28, 2011

Can anybody help me out on numbered lists when there are sublists?  Can't really afford time on shift to try to find the training for that part and listen to the slow explanation.  Thanks! ...

X-ray Help Needed -- Please Sm For Sentence, Thanks
Apr 07, 2011

Patient with dyspnea and cough. Chest x-ray reveals  s/l  "light" or "La" technique.  No definite infiltrates or abnormalities are noticed.  ...

Cardiac Help Needed - Please Sm
May 13, 2011

Patient had cardiac catheterization that showed single-vessel native coronary disease, status post percutaneous coronary intervention with s/l 4 out of 4 stents patent (or) 4 to 4 stents (4:4 stents patent). Can anyone help?  Thanks! ...

A Much Needed ASR Laugh
Oct 05, 2011

Correct:  The patient was anesthetized with rocuronium.   ASR:  The patient was anesthetized with a rock thrown at him.  I guess you could do it that way.    ...

Ortho Help Needed ... Sm
Jul 05, 2012

Patient needs lateral ankle repair either through s/l tendodesing, or through a free tendon graft with a s/l briar osteotomy.  Thanks! ...