A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The PLUS with AHIMA is that you can get credits transferred to your college - FACT

Posted: May 16, 2010

I think its like 15 dollars a credit but some of the AHIMA classes you can obtain credit for through your college and they will accept them.  I think its about 40 credits too.Cool

College Credit - not necessarily

[ In Reply To ..]
You might want to double check that. I know that the HIT program at the college near me will NOT accept those credits from AHIMA. I had considered going through AHIMA with the plan to transfer into the college to finish the HIT degree. I went in to discuss my plan with the adviser and was disappointed to find out that they would not accept the credits from AHIMA. I think each institution has their own rules about that.

depends WHICH college, and its usually the long distance ones that will approve it. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Community College - info

[ In Reply To ..]
Well all I can say is that it is a community college that is on the list of AHIMA recommended schools that told me they will not accept the AHIMA credits.

It would be a good idea to check with whatever college you may wish to attend later and see if they will accept those credits. I'm just saying it is better to know this information in advance if it is important to you.

AHIMA can give you the list of colleges that will give you the credits for their courses. - YEP!!

[ In Reply To ..]
call them, they know which colleges will award credit for their clusters. I know University of Phoenix is one of them.

Similar Messages:

Can I Transfer Credits From Andrews School To A Local College?
May 09, 2010

For 3800.00 I would think they should be accredited most definitely.  ...

Anyone Else Get Transferred?
May 10, 2013

From W to N? ...

Being Transferred To Another Account And CCM
Dec 03, 2009

Ouir BOB lost another large account and now there are too many MTs.  So, about 8-12 are being moved.  The account that I transcribe is going to be almost 100% ASR, and the account is being transferred to the Canadian MTs.  Apparently the poor Canadians don't have enough work.  They do, however, get free health insurance.  Now we not only have to worry about the Indians, but the Canadians too.  I can guarantee they are being paid less.  ...

Transferred To Different Region
May 15, 2014

About 3 weeks ago I was transferred to a different region.  Been with MM 9 years, with many different supervisors and BOBs, but always the same region.  Was called by supervisor and told work load was low in her BOB and was "only going to get worse."  ILPs taking over, probably I assume.  She wanted to transfer me to make sure I had "plenty of work and stayed with MM."  Not sure what that meant.  I had never experienced NJA in that particular BOB.  The accounts ...

Has Anybody Successfully Transferred To Another POD?
Jan 09, 2015

I'm getting pretty sick of the condescending questions asked ("why didn't you do this" or "why did you do that") by my PC, who I was moved to during the POD initiation and would much rather go back to my old PC, who was awesome, even if I have to leave the accounts I have been typing on for years.  This PC just makes me feel like an idiot. ...

Just Transferred To A New Account Without Warning.
Aug 22, 2012

My question is since I am starting a new account that I am not familar with will I get in trouble for getting MUP - make up pay. I never had make up pay before. To tell you the truth though I wish I would have been laid off instead. Anyways, TIA. ...

Anyone Sort Of Recently Been Transferred To An Account
Jan 17, 2015

I've got some survival tips for you. Same for folks recently moved to a smallish surburban hospital near largish city in WA?  Supe LG, one of three supes listed on new POC for AB COM. Got a whole list of tips for survival on that one too.  I will post these again if anyone here is interested.    ...

For MDA Editors Who Transferred To Service That Got Account...
Mar 21, 2015

I find it interesting that the specs have changed.  I'm happy to see these changes...      Doctors names in report verbatim.      Headers abbreviated verbatim.  (LABS, MEDS, HISTORY, HPI, etc).      Copy-Paste requests verbatim.      Skip silence (for dictators who have never heard of the pause command.  Will dictators finally get the message that mumbled abbreviations with B, C, D, E, P, T, ...

I Absolutely Hate The New Group I Was Recently Transferred To.
Dec 30, 2013

I was transferred only about about a month ago (stolen according to my last TSM). This is a new account. Every single week it is something. I was moved to this group " because I had no production problems and no quality problems" according to my previous TSM. Thus far, I have failed 1 audit by 0.15 points, followed by passing an audit, and I have had, according to the email subject, targeted audits 3 out of 4 weeks. I got an email stating I had failed my targeted audit (1 error - date), and ...

Okay Everyone. I Went To College Today
Mar 17, 2010

I spoke with a counselor/advisor who was extremely helpful.  They gave me a couple of tests, personality and skill tests to see what I want do in life.  I scored pretty high on counseling and criminal justice and even showed medical transcription.  Here is what it says about being a medical transcriptionist in Oregon. Wages   Location Pay Period Entry Median Top Oregon Hourly $12.73 (1) $17.00 Monthly $2,206 (1) $2,946 Yearly $ ...

Started My First Day Of College :)
Sep 29, 2012

I just wanted to post that I completed my first week of college. The first day was scary, but by the second day I felt much more at ease. My first class happened to algebra, so wish me luck. I know that I am making the right decision, so I am hoping that I can start counting the days to when I can just give my notice. It is going to be tough, but it definitely is going to be worth it. ...

I've Just Been Accepted To College!!
Oct 22, 2013

After going back and forth for two years, I finally decided to apply for college and I was accepted, yay me!!  Actually, I already have my Associate's degree, so this isn't my first time in college, but I feel like I've taken a huge step in my life and I was so excited I just wanted to share with my fellow MTs!  Just an FYI, after researching an endless amount of colleges, I chose WGU majoring in Health Informatics and am even considering my MBA there as well because the ...

College Degree
Feb 17, 2015

I see many job ads for coders that specify a college degree is required.  I am in coding school currently but only have a GED.  What do you think chances are I can get a job with no college degree?  I currently work as a remote MT and have almost 20 years of continuous experience in that field and was hoping that would help me get a job.  I am not at all, however, interested in getting a college degree. ...

I'm Not Sure What College These Docs Went To
Jun 08, 2015

But I noticed when my son graduated from college, it was a mid range college in no way an ivy league school, that he spoke very intelligent, used correct grammar, and actually formed correct sentences. I made mention to him, that in listening to his friends talk, I was VERY impressed and happy they actually learned something in school..He said, "I don't see why, that's what they teach us in college, this isn't high school anymore mom." I'm just not hearing it out of these d ...

Is Ashworth College Reputable?
Jan 07, 2010

I recently signed up for Medical Billing and Medical Terminology classes through Ashworth College.  I would like to know if anyone out there is familar with Ashworth College, I've been told that there's a lot of schools out there that just want your money and I want to make sure if I'm making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Welp, Im Going Back To College At Age 50!
May 20, 2010

I waited as long as I could, but my income has dropped by 30% at least, and I can't pay my bills...........so fortunately I just got awarded a Pell Grant (thanks to my low MT income), so Im going back to school! ...

Miller-Motte College
Jun 15, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with this college?  They just opened a new site in my town that will be doing healthcare only at first and have been thinking of doing this. ...

Community College Vs. M-Tec/Andrews
Feb 11, 2011

Is it better to go with the tried-and-true Andrews or M-tec as opposed to a local community college that offers MT courses? I was thinking it would be better to stick with the former, but was intrigued by the fact that the local junior college seems to be promising "internships". I'm not 100 percent sure yet, as the informational meeting isn't until the beginning of March, but wondered what the prevailing wisdom might be on the subject. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...

Goodbye MT World, Hello College
Jun 25, 2012

After being an MT for 12 years and wanting to go back to college for the past 2 years, I have finally done it!  I will no longer be an MT as of July 1st, and I couldn't be happier!  I applied and was accepted to WGU and will be getting my BS in Health Informatics. This is a very unique program and my goal is to finish in a year and a half (I had credits transfer in which helps).  Anyone who is interested in going back to college and wants to work in health care with IT, check ...

I Have A College Degree Question
Aug 23, 2012

I can't stand doing MT anymore.  I applied and have received Pell grants, yay!  Now, I need to decide on my major.  I want to be in a career where I can help people.  I'm thinking social work or psychology.  But I keep seeing jobs where they say "BA in Human Services needed."  Wouldn't this just be social work?   ...

Community College Program
Jan 18, 2015

I would like opinions on taking a coding program at a community college, then being properly prepared to become a successful coder and getting certified. Cost is important to me, which makes this an attractive option. What is the consensus about this? Thanks for your comments. ...

AHIMA/AAPC
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone out there a member of AHIMA or AAPC?  Did you join after you became certified, or before?  What are your thoughts about joining?   ...

AHIMA Training
Mar 23, 2011

Need some advice please.  I have just started the AHIMA coding course but after doing further research, I am thinking I may want to take the CPC exam first.  Does the AHIMA course prepare for taking the CPC?  Would it be appropriate to do this.  I think it is too late to change schools.  There are so many decisions to make.  I did do a vast amount of research before I chose but now I think it may be a litter harder than I first thought it was going to be, so maybe t ...

AHIMA Student
Apr 08, 2011

Hi all of you wannabe coders out there.  I have just finished my A&P course with AHIMA and am starting coding basics.  I would love to communicate those out there who are in this program, just starting out or previous students.  Let me know how far along you are and also what your background is.   I am very excited about getting to do this program.  I have been a transcriptionist for almost 20 years and am totally burned out, both physically and mentally.  ...

AHIMA Approved ?
Nov 03, 2011

I just checked the AHIMA website for coding programs and I noticed that they have Career Step on their list of "AHIMA approved coding programs" but I could not find Andrews School listed at all on their site.  Is AHIMA approval for coding as important as AHDI approval for transcription programs? Everyone recommends Andrews for coding but Im confused now. Could someone explain please. Also if it is important can you please let me know where you went to school for coding? I know Andrews and M ...

With The Changes AHIMA Is Putting Out
Sep 11, 2012

I am wondering if Andrews is still a good choice for a school. I was also thinking of calling Linda Andrews and seeing how these changes affect her course. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. ...

AHIMA And Other Questions
Sep 05, 2013

Has anyone classes through the AHIMA website? If so, did you like it? Is there any benefit of taking it through AHIMA versus Andrews? If you were a new student would you take the RHIA classes or CCS classes? Do you recommend getting a CCS-P as well? What is the best route to get the best return on your investment, ie if you are looking to make coding your career for the next 25+ years, which certificate/degree is the best one to get right now to lead you into a successful career? Any ...

College Of Legal Arts MT Program
Jan 09, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this school's Medical Transcription program? ...

Suggestions For Improvement Of The MT Program At My College
Sep 27, 2010

Based on what I've been reading on these blogs, I realized how little prepared the grads of the MT program from my college actually were. So I wrote a letter to the assistant director of the program, making suggestions on how they could improve the training they offer; things like exposing students to REAL dictation, rather than just CDs of actors reading scripts; exposure to ESL dictation; including a course in speech recognition editing; including a course in medically-oriented ...