A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Suggestions for Improvement of the MT Program at my College - earlymusicus

Posted: Sep 27, 2010

Based on what I've been reading on these blogs, I realized how little prepared the grads of the MT program from my college actually were. So I wrote a letter to the assistant director of the program, making suggestions on how they could improve the training they offer; things like exposing students to REAL dictation, rather than just CDs of actors reading scripts; exposure to ESL dictation; including a course in speech recognition editing; including a course in medically-oriented computer platforms; training and practice in the use of word expanders and other time-saving/keystroke-saving practices; offering an internship program and a job placement program.

I never heard back. But I guess it doesn't really matter, since so many jobs have gone to India. Still, if things in the MT field were still what they once were, I feel that such suggestions would have better prepared the students for MT jobs.

my suggestion, pass out free cheese with certificate - they are gonna need it

[ In Reply To ..]
not even funny, I know... just sad.

All great suggestions, but I'd also add integrating the entire - Go with the times

[ In Reply To ..]
thing into a broader program graduating people prepared for more than just one highly specialized position. They should have had the courtesy to answer you, but it's quite possible they're already reconsidering the certificate program altogether.

MT programs aren't money-makers for colleges so your college administration won't care - From my experience

[ In Reply To ..]
College administration only is interested in programs that bring in a lot of money and/or prestige. Their MT programs are notoriously bad because they often don't even hire experienced MTs to teach. They may get a nurse who is there teaching terminology anyway and is handy. Talking to them is futile.

Similar Messages:

Dictator Improvement Program -
Oct 08, 2010

According to the email from one of the big guys, they're going to do a program for the doctors for improving their dictation. Okay... That could be good if the doctors who need it go. But.... he also mentioned doing a lot more ASR. Well, I don't think dictation training will help that as the program can't even get doctors who speak very very clearly right. We've been told this will make our lives/work easier. I'll believe it when I see it. ...

I Am Doing The Quality Improvement Program.
Nov 29, 2013

It is such a waste and the content angering. Misspelled English words??? Unless it is their versus there, your versus you're, it is due to ASR. Medical words - Again, if it is the right word, ASR program's fault. And yes, we should correct it. Grammar?? Excuse me, I will get dinged for fixing it because the accounts are verbatim. Get into a rhythm????? That is not possible when you have to stop and correct as many times per line as I do to correct the crummy output AND dele ...

Quality Improvement Program
Dec 31, 2013

Just got an e-mail that there are 5 of us in our BOB who are going to be mentored/coached.  The chosen ones will be contacted later.  Nice.  Now gotta sit here and sweat the phone ringing. ...

Dear MTSO: A Quality Improvement Program Does Not
Jan 01, 2015

This is what some MTSO's believe quality improvement consists of: "IF EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU DOESN'T STRAIGHTEN UP AND STOP MAKING MISTAKES.....(here, insert the Teacher's Voice from Charlie Brown cartoons) - WAH WAH WAH WAAAAAH WAHWAHWAH WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Oh, yeah - and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, too. Or this: "YOU IDIOTS!  DON'T YOU KNOW THAT WE GET PENALIZED $EVENTY BAJILLION$ OF DOLLAR$ EVERY TIME ONE OF YOU PUTS THE PERIOD OUTSIDE TH ...

Community College Program
Jan 18, 2015

I would like opinions on taking a coding program at a community college, then being properly prepared to become a successful coder and getting certified. Cost is important to me, which makes this an attractive option. What is the consensus about this? Thanks for your comments. ...

College Of Legal Arts MT Program
Jan 09, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this school's Medical Transcription program? ...

New Graduate Of Ashworth College's MT Program
Nov 06, 2012

I am a new graduate of Ashworth College's MT program. I am having much difficulty finding employment due to my lack of experience. Can anyone give me any suggestions on companies that hire New grads? ...

Looking For A User Friendly Email Program Other Than Outlook, Any Suggestions?
Jan 26, 2012

I currently have Outlook 2010 on my PC and I HATE IT!  I can't save any contacts.  I keep getting a message that says I don't have permission to save to that folder or something to that effect.  It's has an obnoxious toolbar at the top of the screen that I have to study every time I need to perform any kind of action.  I really just want something simple.  I don't have Outlook Express on my PC which I would use if I had it.  I've been looki ...

The Sky Is Falling – College Closes Medical Transcription Program – MTSO Cut Out As
Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!! Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading?    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 College ends medical transcription program Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is les ...

Improvement?
Sep 17, 2011

I was told at my company that we will need to be lowering the jobs we send out to QA or else there will be "corrective action." I am really not sure how to get around fast speakers, muffled words and patient information that just isn't there. I'm not the type to fill in a blank with anything either. I do have superb skills with researching words and the spelling is good. Can someone recommend ways that have worked for them on lowering QA percentage? ...

Expecting 99% With No Improvement In ASR
May 21, 2011

Why are we expected to get 99%, but yet ASR never has to improve. How is that fair? ...

Quality Improvement IQ, Anyone?
Sep 26, 2013

OMG, what a waste of time.  It is as if they have finally now just discovered what we have have been dealing with all our professional  lives (and what they cannot manage to do correctly themselves). did you catch it?  duh. ...

They Pay Us To Take A Quality Improvement Course
Nov 17, 2013

and then send us work comprised of reports from a different facility each time you download.  All these years and they still can't figure out that quality work comes from knowing your dictators and knowing your facility.  One has to wonder about the IQ's of management personnel. ...

Trying To Do The Quality Improvement Course
May 26, 2014

I am trying to find the quality improvement course and can't find it in the mmodal intranet site.  It says to find POPULAR LINKS portlet then quality improvement but I can't even find the popular links portlet.  ARRGGGGHHHH! Anyone that has taken this before, can you please help me? ...

Quality Improvement Test
Oct 23, 2013

I had posted a message about the quality improvement test we were required to take and someone said they hadn't heard of it. I was wondering if only certain BOBs were required to take this. I was absurd and mainly a course in remedial English. The quality is poor in this BOB because the dictation is horrendous, not because someone doesn't know the difference between their and there. They did not even emphasize getting the medical information correct. So, how many of you have seen t ...

Quality Improvement Initiative
Dec 25, 2013

I pass my audits, but I can't seem to pass one of their test modules to get to the passcode.  It tells you to pick out 9, I pick out 9 and I still fail.  I have no reason why I am failing.  I can't even see an X on the righ-hand corner like they seem to think you can.  I am ready to tell them to fire me!! ...

Anyone Have Experience As To Whether $100 Speakers Make Any Improvement Sm
May 17, 2010

over $20 speakers as far as dictation goes?  Can the better speakers make the dictation sound a little better (justifying cost of speakers)?  I know bad dictation is bad dictation but just wondering. ...

Performance Improvement Plan, Need Advice
Oct 04, 2013

I'd appreciate any advice about this. I normally have scores between 98 and 99, a few weeks I was over 99. Anyway, I have been put on a Performance Improvement Plan and have 1 week to get 99 or over. If I don't, I will be put on a PIP from HR which sounds ominous but I don't know what that means. Please let me know what to expect and if I am danger of being fired. Thanks! ...

Quality Improvement Test - Did You Love It?
Oct 21, 2013

Did you all take the QI test? Did you love it? ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Okay Everyone. I Went To College Today
Mar 17, 2010

I spoke with a counselor/advisor who was extremely helpful.  They gave me a couple of tests, personality and skill tests to see what I want do in life.  I scored pretty high on counseling and criminal justice and even showed medical transcription.  Here is what it says about being a medical transcriptionist in Oregon. Wages   Location Pay Period Entry Median Top Oregon Hourly $12.73 (1) $17.00 Monthly $2,206 (1) $2,946 Yearly $ ...

Started My First Day Of College :)
Sep 29, 2012

I just wanted to post that I completed my first week of college. The first day was scary, but by the second day I felt much more at ease. My first class happened to algebra, so wish me luck. I know that I am making the right decision, so I am hoping that I can start counting the days to when I can just give my notice. It is going to be tough, but it definitely is going to be worth it. ...

I've Just Been Accepted To College!!
Oct 22, 2013

After going back and forth for two years, I finally decided to apply for college and I was accepted, yay me!!  Actually, I already have my Associate's degree, so this isn't my first time in college, but I feel like I've taken a huge step in my life and I was so excited I just wanted to share with my fellow MTs!  Just an FYI, after researching an endless amount of colleges, I chose WGU majoring in Health Informatics and am even considering my MBA there as well because the ...

College Degree
Feb 17, 2015

I see many job ads for coders that specify a college degree is required.  I am in coding school currently but only have a GED.  What do you think chances are I can get a job with no college degree?  I currently work as a remote MT and have almost 20 years of continuous experience in that field and was hoping that would help me get a job.  I am not at all, however, interested in getting a college degree. ...

I'm Not Sure What College These Docs Went To
Jun 08, 2015

But I noticed when my son graduated from college, it was a mid range college in no way an ivy league school, that he spoke very intelligent, used correct grammar, and actually formed correct sentences. I made mention to him, that in listening to his friends talk, I was VERY impressed and happy they actually learned something in school..He said, "I don't see why, that's what they teach us in college, this isn't high school anymore mom." I'm just not hearing it out of these d ...

Is Ashworth College Reputable?
Jan 07, 2010

I recently signed up for Medical Billing and Medical Terminology classes through Ashworth College.  I would like to know if anyone out there is familar with Ashworth College, I've been told that there's a lot of schools out there that just want your money and I want to make sure if I'm making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Welp, Im Going Back To College At Age 50!
May 20, 2010

I waited as long as I could, but my income has dropped by 30% at least, and I can't pay my bills...........so fortunately I just got awarded a Pell Grant (thanks to my low MT income), so Im going back to school! ...

Miller-Motte College
Jun 15, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with this college?  They just opened a new site in my town that will be doing healthcare only at first and have been thinking of doing this. ...

Community College Vs. M-Tec/Andrews
Feb 11, 2011

Is it better to go with the tried-and-true Andrews or M-tec as opposed to a local community college that offers MT courses? I was thinking it would be better to stick with the former, but was intrigued by the fact that the local junior college seems to be promising "internships". I'm not 100 percent sure yet, as the informational meeting isn't until the beginning of March, but wondered what the prevailing wisdom might be on the subject. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Getting Out Of MTing And Going Back To College
Oct 13, 2011

Mting is no longer for me.  I'm 34, single mom, need a better career.  I can't seem to decide on which career path to take.  I want to get my bachelor's degree because it will make me feel like I have accomplished something, and I would like to have a degree and possibly get my master's someday.  I can't decide between healthcare information management and getting my RHIA, or something totally different and getting a BS in business-human resources man ...