A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How did you get your first coding job? - Penny

Posted: Aug 14, 2012

I passed the CCS and CPC exam 8 months ago but have yet to find a job :(.  I busted my bu** to become a certified coder, and now that I am one, no one will hire me without experience.  I live in a small town.  We have one hospital.  I applied and was flat out told they cannot hire coders without minimum 2 years experience.  I asked if I could volunteer or job shadow and they said no.  No jobs there in HIM at all.  Our local medical clinic has a coding company that does their coding for them as well as transcription.  I applied to a few local physicians here but was again told they couldn't hire me because I have no experience.  I even look on a national website and have applied to multiple jobs and have been told no.  I was an MT for 10 years, before that I did billing.  So, I'm not sure what these companies, hospitals, clinics are looking for.  How do I get 2 years of experience if no one will hire me?  I'm in tears and ready to give up!

Penny - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I am so sorry you are in tears and having such a hard time finding a job. Second, where did you go to school? The reason I ask is because I recently enrolled at Andrews and that is one of my biggest concerns - how am I going to find a job without experience?

Also, congratulations on passing the CCS and CPC exams! I'm hoping you get some replies from experienced coders here and I look forward to reading them. I wish you the best of luck!

That is one of my fears about changing - meggy

[ In Reply To ..]
from MT to coding, although now that my job is going from straight transcription to voice wreck, I think I'm going to just have to take a leap of faith and hope I can get a job somewhere. We have three major medical centers here and some of my acquaintances are doctors, so I may luck out. I hope you do, too!

first job - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am just finishing up and have the same fear as you do. I am in a larger area with more opportunities, but I am still afraid it will be VERY hard to get that first job. Someone else posted to learn Excel, which I have a basic knowledge of now, and to try temp jobs. Those often can turn into full time jobs if they like you, even if it is just in another area of medical records, but you will have your foot in the door. Good luck!

What I did - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I got a job at the hospital as a clerk. When a job came open in coding, I applied for it. It was a coding trainee position, too, but I was happy to have it.

One barrier for you is just the lack of jobs in your area. There aren't a lot of coding jobs. The hospital in your town might have 1 or 2. That is something everyone needs to consider before going into a new field. If there are only 5 jobs and they are filled, you cannot expect to take one of them.

My suggestion is to stop focusing on getting a coding position straight out. Get a job in billing, where you have experience, and use that to work your way into coding. Take the first office job you can find, regardless of what it is.

Studies are showing that you have to be employed to get a job. Nobody wants to hire the unemployed. MT can appear to be unemployment, too.

As for the mandatory 2 years of experience, I find it difficult to believe that everyone requires it. I would expect some to require MORE.

You have a disadvantage in that your community is small, but there are job-hunting tricks you do not seem to have tried. You might try a social service or government agency that will provide assistance with resumes and applications. Some even provide incentives for employers to hire you. They can determine if something is wrong with your appearance or approach.

Another suggestion would be a temp agency. Ask them to put you in any medical job just so you can get exposure. And then do a superb job, share your knowledge of coding, and hope for the best.

Unemployed? - On site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would MT "appear to be unemployment"? Just "any medical job" will not give you exposure to coding, it needs to be in HIM or billing. 2 years of experience seems to be the standard requirement for coding positions. Just as no one wants to hire inexperienced MTs, very few employers want inexperienced coders.

Interesting - Employed Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
How interesting . . . an employed coder offers suggestions - and to someone else - and you, a noncredentialed individual who has been unsuccessful in finding a coding job, become hostile and confrontational. You seem to have perceived that entire post as a personal attack.

That kind of looks like your standard response, too, so I might wonder if part of your job woes are due to that.

You might try reading more carefully. You misconstrue things and blow them out of proportion on a fairly consistent basis.

Nobody in any field wants inexperienced applicants, but you are no grasping that EVERY employed coder was once in your shoes and somehow managed to find a job without experience.
What? - On site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You're the one coming across as confrontational. If you don't want people commenting on what you write, choose your words more carefully. I still don't know why being an MT would be considered being unemployed. I have no problem with reading comprehension, that is what it says. The OP is the one who has 2 credentials and no experience and can't get a job, so get off my case.
Advice on making yourself look appealing to - Employers
[ In Reply To ..]
You do seem to come back with negativity and to interpret advice as a personal attack. You are quick to tell others why it won't work.

That post above suggested temping in a medical office as a way to gain EXPOSURE, and you came right back saying it would not give you experience. You missed the point.

You are wrong that coders must have experience to get a job. Coders get jobs every day without experience. Every working coder you see once had no experience. They got jobs by convincing employers that they cannot live without them.

Something like 30% of coding jobs sit empty because the employer cannot find anyone to fill them. They will take the right kind of coder, with or without experience.

Getting exposure in medical offices can be very helpful. If they like you and you do a great job, it can lead to something else. Knowing people is half the battle. Networking is very helpful in finding a job. Temp jobs can help you network.

Self-employed workers in general have difficulty getting jobs as employees. Employers want to see recent employee history. IC and self-employment do not provide much evidence that the person can work well as an employee. They almost communicate the opposite.

A lot of HIM coder employers contract out their MT. They may have negative feelings about MTs or no feelings. They may think of them as difficult workers. They may associate them with nightmare contracts, MTSOs, and error-filled work they can't get fixed.

Whether you agree with this or not, and you might not understand it because you are an on-site MT, these are things MTs will need to consider. These are things you have to overcome.

A big part of job hunting involves overcoming employers's reluctance to take a risk on the unknown.

Yes, employers do prefer experience. Who wouldn't? You have to do something to get experience or look so good that they want to hire you anyway. It can be done.
Um, she's right - you did say it
[ In Reply To ..]
better go back and reread your original post.
You have been deflected from the - main point.
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, the statement is there. I meant what I said . . . MTs can appear "unemployed" to employers. That can have a detrimental effect on their success in the job market.

If you don't understand something, an appropriate response is "I am not sure I understand. Can you explain further?" An appropriate response acknowledges that writers may not have explained things fully enough for you and allows that there is no reason they should be expected to.

Instead of taking offense, perhaps you should evaluate the statement in context. In the job search context, it explains a lot about why so many MTs cannot get hired outside MT.

Self-employed people can have difficulty because they are not employed by someone else. They do work for others, but they are not employees. Employers want to see an employment history because they need someone who can work under direction. They do not want someone who is used to running the show. They also associate it with working irregularly, working when you feel like it, working in your spare time, and they sometimes think you got into it because something makes you unable to keep a "real job."

They also see the same ads on TV for schools that teach typing at home for doctors, and that is all they think of when you say that is what you have been doing for the last 10 or 20 years.

They may not know what an MTSO is. They may think all MT is done by MTSOs. They may know but think all MTs are ICs. They may not understand that you are an employee of the MTSO (if you are). They may not have a clue what you do and many of them think you are one stamp removed from stuffing envelopes at home.
Boys who mow lawns may rank higher.

I did not say this to insult anyone. I was an MT once, too, and I had to overcome this twice when going from MT to a non-MT job. There is a stigma attached to MT that is so severe it affects me more than a decade later. I disguise it on my resume because nearly everyone who sees it seems to think I had some kind of problem during those years that kept me from doing real work.

The exception to this is doctors themselves. They are invariably impressed. They recognize your knowledge and appreciate how hard you work.

If you are looking for a job, be careful how you present your MT career. Do not call yourself an IC if you are an employee. If you are an IC, emphasize woking for others. Recognize that you have a lot to offer doctors and that can be marketed into employment. Once they know you, they can offer more. Recognize that medical records supervisors in hospitals may loathe MTSOs, MTs, and anything to do with MT. They may have hated dealing with MT employees or may have never seen one. Some may be insanely jealous of MTs because MTs used to make more than other HIM employees, including the supervisor in her early years. Office managers who have experienced a long line of incompetent typists may loathe MTs, too.

All of these people fear hiring another dud coder. that is why they want experience . . . so they have some assurance that you are not a dud.

You have to overcome all of this to get a job. I am not making this up. Th
Can you tell us how you got your first coding job? - Thanks
[ In Reply To ..]
P
I already told you. - Read the thread
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Sorry, I got lost in all the unnecessary bickering - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
and I see that you actually did give an answer pertaining to the OP's question.
"I am not sure I understand. Can you explain further?" - mind blown
[ In Reply To ..]
You've written a dissertation here and I still don't follow you. I've been continuously employed as an MT since 1979 and that's considered unemployed. Well then I guess I'm in big trouble when I go job hunting huh?
had a boyfriend once said it was not a real job - guess he was right nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Mind blown - On Site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who found that statement a little bizarre and in fact rather arrogant. I've worked at this as long as you have. Someone needs to tell my employers that they haven't been paying me to do "real work" all this time.
It seems - There is
[ In Reply To ..]
a tinge of strange indeed.

sounds like you need to travel - CTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you sign up with a temp agency and tell them your skills in billing and passing the CCS and CPC, they will put you in an office where you can get experience. Sounds like you will need to travel to your closest city, no way will you get anything in a small town.

This is why I'm leery of going back to school to learn - ANYthing.. all the ads want - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
at the very least 1-2 years' experience. Doesn't matter whether it's a job as a coder, a secretary (they want experience in THAT business sector, not just being a secretary), or even a dog-walker in some cases. Have tried to land a vet receptionist job, but can't touch one without the prerequisite "2 years' experience". Even grocery checkout and shelf-stocking jobs want actual grocery store experience.

What ever happened to entry-level jobs? And by the extinction of jobs that allow you to at least partially train on-the-job, they've cut themselves off from a highly skilled (even if not 100% in THAT field) and motivated (by hunger!) workforce.

The headlines tell us that jobs are scarce right now - that's a fact we have to deal with - Tough For Everyone

[ In Reply To ..]
We're in a very tough economy. There are very few jobs anywhere. We have to stay strong and keep trying, just as our ancestors did before us when times were tough.

Why there is an experience requirement for nearly - All jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, everybody has an experience requirement now. They would like to have that experience, but the main reason they need it is to avoid accusations of discrimination when they cannot or do not wish to hire someone.

Another reason is that they do not want to be stuck with an employee who cannot do the work. They are reluctant to hire someone FIRST and find out that the employee requires expensive training while they produce next to nothing.

Many HIM employers know that their local HIT program produces graduates who cannot code. They need an excuse for not hiring you, so they use the experience requirement.

Inexperienced coders get jobs every day. They get credentialed as a way to overcome the experience requirement.

being a TEMP worker if you shine will often translate to a job - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just repeating what was written above, take a TEMP job in any kind of office setting, but if transitioning from MT it will show you can shine in an office setting and you can PROVE your skills. Many employers use temp jobs without risk to see what kind of employee you are. Be sure you are prompt, do a thorough, complete job no matter what the job is, be available and offer to assist in any extra activities. I got a job this way, first in medical records and then in coding a year later. My niece, a new graduate in HR, landed a GREAT job, but it took a year temping at various jobs.

Temps - Used to be On Site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Good advice but I live in a small town and there are only 1 or 2 temp agencies and very few opportunits to do clerical work, although sometimes I've thought it would be fun to do. Benefits are an issue as well as not knowing when you'll get called to work. Some part time and temp jobs do work into fuul time, that's very cool that you got a coding job. Some employment and temp agencies will take their fee out of your first paycheck if you get hired full time but I don't know if all of them are that way. I think it would be perfect for someone with a second income in their household who already has benefits. Thanks for the suggestion.

correct me if I am wrong but I think temp agencies - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
get their money fromthe employers. Also, you are considered an employee of the temp agency and some do offer benefits as well as you get your paycheck from the temp agency not the place where you are employed. This has been my experience at least with temp agencies. Also it is the perfect way to get a permanent position by, as previous posters stated, proving yourself. When I went this route I was offered many different positions (in other fields,not coding) by working hard and proving myself. The ONLY reason I did not take the positions is because I liked the flexibility (and pay/benefits) of the agency I worked for. So I think this is very good advice and since I recently passed the CPC-H, I am considering this route to get more experience.
Yes, you are correct - temp agencies - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Temp agencies of that type get their fees from the employer, not from the employee.

That post was mostly just another of On Site MT's "yes, but" justifications for why she can't get a job as a coder. If it isn't the small town, it's something else, and if it isn't that, well, it's the temp agency fees, and the next time someone posts, she'll come up with some other excuse. If I had to guess why her own former hospital wouldn't hire her to code, it would be because they are sick to death of her negativity.
Speak not what you know not of - On site MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You witch

Similar Messages:

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

MT To Coding
Sep 27, 2010

I've been an MT for going on 8 years now, and I've been throwing around the idea of taking a coding class. I would really like to have something else to fall back on, as it seems that MT'ing is going more and more to VR. There's a local coding class that begins in January for $1700, but I wanted to get some feedback of current coders before signing up. Is the demand for coders still fairly high? Is it hard to find a job as a newbie, even with already having experience in the ...

Is Coding The Way To Go?!
Jan 19, 2011

I have almost 12 years experience as an MT (turn 30 in a month ACK!)  My mom has been telling me for a couple years now (since it started going downhill) that I should maybe think about coding as a career.  I guess she thinks I'd be good at it, but I have no idea.  I have just started my research but I thought I would kind of get some pros and cons about it see if anyone had advice or thoughts on anyone thinking about it.  I always feel like I'm too old to start som ...

What Do You (did You) Like Best About Your Coding Course?
Dec 27, 2011

What was the best thing about the coding course you took? Did it prepare you for the CCS and CPC exams or maybe just the CCA? Did you take any of those exams and did you pass or fail them?  What course did you take? Did you think it was hard or easy? You don't need to answer all of the questions, but maybe a couple of them. Thanks.  ...

I Keep Looking At Coding, Considering It But........
Feb 11, 2012

there's just ONE little thing that keeps me doubting the possibility of it being a long-term career: I keep seeing more and more ads every week for "at home coders".  Does this make you at least a little nervous?  It makes me a LOT nervous.  We all know that once MTs started working from home, the MT field went into a tailspin, pay-wise, because "work-at-home" seems to translate into "work-in-India", instead.  Also I see some ads for MTSOs that also offer coding.  ...

E&M Coding?
Apr 16, 2012

Is Evaluation and management coding hard to learn? ...

Coding Vs MT, What To Do....
May 10, 2012

I am generally pretty good at making my own decisions; however, I need advice on what to do in this situation. I am currently an MT making $55,000-$60,000 year. The last few years MT work slowed down due to VR/EMR and it was harder and harder to replace lost accounts. While I was looking for another client/MTSO to fill the gap last year, I took a college course for coding and passed the CPC thinking I would have a back-up plan if needed; however, I found more MT work shortly after passing the C ...

Coding As An Art: Another Way To Look At Coding
Oct 12, 2012

I think it's a good artcile about coding and will give you a glimpse into it too. ...

Is Coding Going To Go The Same Way As MT?
Jul 09, 2013

Before I take this leap of faith into coding school, will the EHR/VR technology be sinking the coding ship too?   ...

Help With Coding Course
Jul 21, 2013

Can anyone help out with a basics coding course I am taking? ...

Be Sure You Know What You're Getting Into With The Coding
Mar 12, 2014

Just got an e-mail from my manager stating that if you get accepted into the program, all money paid while training will have to be paid back if you do not complete or pass the course or if you pass and do not stay with the company for 24 months following completion of the training. You also still have to work your regular number of hours. If you can't get your homework done in the 20 paid hours, then you will have to do it on your own time. ...

Considering Coding And Have
May 14, 2014

I've seen lots of people ask questions about coding, but I have some questions I haven't seen asked before and was hoping somebody could answer them.  I'd hate to go to school for something and then learn the hard way that I hate the job.  BTDT and don't want to do it again! -What do you like best about coding? -What do you hate about coding? -What is the most stressful part of the job? -What kinds of people would like coding? Thanks in advance for any answers ...

So I'm Trying To Get Out Of MT And Was Considering Coding
May 19, 2015

based on reading here that they prepare you for the CCS, which is know is pretty much mandatory .  Anyway, what I read there about their coding program sounded really good, but then I read about their transcription program.  I now have lost respect for this school.  How can I believe what they say about coding when they tout medical transcription as still being a good career?   I know I work for the notoriously WORST of the worst company, Nuance, but I think all MT companie ...

Coding Won't Die - Here's Why
Jun 10, 2015

Coding As An IC?
Jun 14, 2015

Are some coders doing coding for private practices as an IC from home?  MT for 22 years thinking of coding school.  If this is being done, how would this work?  Would you charge per report?  Do you have the reports emailed to you and then how would you do the coding?  Would you need to remotely log into their electronic records system?  I apologize if these questions sound dumb.  Truthfully I really know very little about coding as I have just begun researching ...

MT/Coding Magazine
Nov 03, 2009

I used to receive a free magazine that was mainly for coding, but it had some MT information.  It was more of medical information magazine.  I have since stopped receiving it and can't remember the name of it.  Does anyone know what I'm tallking about?  If so, can you send me the name of the magazine so I can contact them and get another subscription.    Thank you. ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

Coding Educaiton
Feb 23, 2010

I'd like to know where/how coders out there got there education.  I live in central Iowa and took a an "insurance billing" class along with my MT class, at a local community college.  However, I did not feel that it was very good training for coding, and the teacher wrote the book/manual herself.  We did, however, use the ICD-9 and CPT books in conjunction with her manual.  Do most medical coders take their training online, or do they attend a school?  If you atten ...

Thinking Of Coding. Help
Mar 29, 2010

I have been a MT for over 4 years.  I am thinking of switching to coding.  How hard is the switch?  Can you find work at home jobs?  What are the best online schools for it?   Thank you ...

Going To Start Coding
Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other? ...

Basic Coding Help
Apr 20, 2010

Hello, I am looking for anyone who is a coder, or understands the basic concepts of using the ICD-9 book. If possible I would like to speak with someone directly and can arrange a phone call. I am only a few weeks into this, I do not want to be a coder, I am getting my degree to be an MA. Just reading examples of how or why to code something a certain way is really giving me trouble. If anyone hear can offer any help please drop me a line. I don't know if there is a way to PM someone o ...

Billing/coding
Apr 20, 2010

has anyone thought about or actually made the swith from mt to billing/coding? ...

Coding Study On One's Own
Apr 25, 2010

I'd like to begin studying medical coding on my own to see if it it's a match iin terms of learning and liking the field. I have 30+ years of transcription experience and usually learn fairly quickly. What books/workbooks do you suggest as a start to see if this feels like it will work for me? And for people who have done this on your own, what did you include in a program of study for yourself? Are there some areas that you feel an in-house course is needed?  Replies greatly app ...

WR Typing And Coding
Apr 30, 2010

Any info on them? Supposed to be out of AL but when I google them, nothing comes up.  ...