A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do any coding programs provide a laptop with tuition? - Curious

Posted: Sep 06, 2010

Our family computer is pretty much worn out and I've heard some of the coding programs provide students with laptops and other supplies when they sign up. 

Has anyone been provided with a laptop as part of a coding course?

Thanks in advance :-)

Laptop - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Career Step had that promotion for a while. Unfortunately I missed it as they discontinued it right before I signed up. I have found them to be pretty flexible on payment plans and other promotions so if they would be your choice of schools it might be worth mentioning. However (and this is huge), please don't choose a school only because they furnish a laptop or other freebies.

??? - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Laptops are considerably less expensive than coding programs, so I doubt if you are considering taking up coding just to get a new computer. LOL!

You might just be concerned that your computer won't handle the software required by the course? Maybe your monitor is too old, etc.? This is a realistic concern, because a lot of colleges now require current model laptops outfitted with Microsoft Office Professional (the expensive one, not the home version), extra software downloads, and purchase of software to interact with online training sites. A lot require viewing videos and videorecorded lectures. Some are now requiring videocameras and attendance at online classroom sessions in proper business attire (a suit). (Ugh!) Their requirements change so fast that it can be difficult to get through the program without having to replace your computer, software, or your wardrobe.

Not all programs are "online" in the above sense. Some try to remain accessible.

If you can read this board and send email, you have enough for Andrews, because their program is traditionally based on texts and live instructors.

You might also check the training offered by AAPC to see if they still have text-based materials. Some local groups may offer in-person classes that teach outpatient coding.

Laptop - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Career Step does not require a special computer, I think they were offering the laptop as an incentive to get students to join their program. I use my home desktop PC which is about 4 years old. All I needed was an up to date browser, an internet connection and Adobe Reader which I already had. The program is accessible from any PC, nothing special is required. Someone always manages to work Andrews into the conversation regardless of the question being asked. Use your own judgement and good luck. By the way, AAPC only teaches outpatient coding, so keep that in mind if you are interested in them.

Similar Messages:

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.  They are Andrews and Kaplan University.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Two-year Coding Programs
Oct 06, 2013

There was a post elsewhere about a coding program requiring 2 years.  If you are considering coding, please be aware that a 2-year program would be very unusual.  I have not seen one, other than possibly some for-profit diploma-mill "billing coding degree" affairs, which I don't think anyone here would recommend.   Please be careful that you understand what the requirements and legitimate options are.     ...

Wondering What Coding Programs Teaching ICD 10
May 19, 2014

Since it has been delayed. Start all over teaching ICD9? What a mess! Can anyone tell me how their coding program is handling this? ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

Need Some Real Advice On Medical Coding Programs
Oct 23, 2013

I need some real advice on medical coding programs. I feel like I have been searching the internet for weeks and am still at a loss as to what program is the best and if I should start now or wait for ICD10 to come out. Is a CPC or CCS better or should I get both? Please let me know your thoughts on the best program to attend online. ...

Coding Programs - Santa Barbara City College
May 20, 2010

I just registered for Santa Barbara City College's HIT program online.  Has anyone else taken their program?  I really needed to find a school that was accredited because I qualify for FAFSA to help me pay for it.  I looked into Andrews and also AHIMA, but all were WAY too expensive and you can't receive financial aid.  If anyone can give me information on the Santa Barbara courses, if you've taken it through them, please do!  Thanks!  (I'm ...

Which Of The AHIMA-approved Coding Programs Are Good Quality?
May 08, 2014

Has anyone taken any of the AHIMA-approved coding programs and gotten credentials and a job? I'm just wondering which of them prepare you adequately to pass the credential tests and get hired. I looked on the AHIMA site at the distance learning coding programs they recommend, and here they are: Camden County College Career Step Dakota State University Great Falls College Montana State University Lone Star College North Dakota State College of Science Santa Barbara City College Shor ...

Anyone Ever Get A Tuition Refund...
Jun 26, 2010

...for feeling like they were ripped off on their MT education? I am almost done and do not feel like I could do the job even decently at this time. I find that unacceptable as I have personally very high standards for myself and would not want the humiliation of attempting to work in the field right now. Any input is appreciated.... ...

Tuition Reimbursement?
Jul 05, 2012

Does Nuance offer tuition reimbursement for its employees for CMT or RHIT, or anything? ...

Synernet Tuition Reimbursement
Jul 05, 2012

What is tuition reimbursement at Synernet entail. What do they mean by that? Thank you. ...

Does MModal Offer Tuition Reimbursment
Oct 29, 2012

I didn't see anything on the intranet, and I highly doubt they do but just wanted to ask here in case anyone knew for sure. I'm finally making the decision to go back to school and hopefully get a good career. ...

Advice On Andrews School Tuition Options.
Sep 04, 2012

Hi. I am very interested in attending Andrews school for coding. The only problem is I may not be able to pay in full at the time of enrollment. Has anyone done the payment option and if so how did it work for you? Thanks. ...

Can Anyone Provide Any Insight Here?
Feb 12, 2010

If my account is not located in the mid Atlantic and has had no recent bad weather, why is it so low on work?  If I'm paranoid, please correct me, but what effect could the weather in another area have on my account? ...

Which Companies Provide Computers?
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know what companies provide computers?  Thanks so much. ...

Can Someone Provide Me With Ventilator Settings? I Mean,
Feb 17, 2010

when doctors give settings for ventilators, FIO2, PEEP and so on.  If someone can provide me a simple list, I would appreciate it.  This isn't for a test and, sadly, I'm not a newbie.  I haven't done these type of reports in a while and my brain seems frozen over.  If anyone can grasp what I'm trying to say and could provide some simple answers, I would really appreciate it.    Thank you. ...

MT Companies That Provide Computer
May 17, 2010

hello: just wondering if anyone can tell me what companies provide computers?  i worked for medigrafix and medquist before.. have been thinking about getting back into transcription but now.. i have to use a company provided computer. thanks for the info. ...

Does Transcend Provide Equipment?
May 17, 2010

Looking for PT work and my personal computer is a laptop with Vista.  Not too many companies allowing that.   TIA ...

Lol...ad To Become An MT Instructor And They Will Provide You With A MT Education
Jun 24, 2010

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas) Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Part time instructor position Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee. About Med Workshops Med Workshops ...

What Companies Provide Computer?
Aug 10, 2011

I am thinking about getting back into medical transcription and wondered if there are any companies that provide a computer. I am not interesting in MQ. I don't think there is much job security there anymore, especially since the CEO made that pretty clear in his recent article. ...

Transcription Companies Who Provide PC
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, anyone out there know of any work-from-home transcription companies that provide you with PC?   THANKS!! ...

Transcend....do They Provide Computer?
Feb 02, 2012

I saw their recent ad, just wondering if they provide a computer if you work as an IC.  TIA ...

Please Provide Information On Accentus.
Feb 26, 2012

plotting my escape from M*Modal.  I  was kind of surprised the practicum was all proofreading.  Is that all they have?  How is pay?  Platform easy?  Have 401K match?  Lots of work on weekends?  Any and all reviews appreciated, even bad.  Thanks!   ...

Does M Modal Still Provide Your Computer ...
Apr 26, 2012

It doesn't say in the ad.  I know they used to, just curious.  I have my own computer to use, but wondering if they still send their own to you.  ...

Does M*Modal Provide Computers?
Jul 20, 2012

nm ...

Does MModal Provide Equipment?
Feb 23, 2013

Just curious if M*Modal supplies the equipment (like Medquist used to)?  I haven' worked from home in YEARS and don't have any current equipment (other than my Mac laptop).  Thanks. ...

Companies That Provide Equipment?
Mar 30, 2013

Does anyone know which companies provide the equipment? I need a job desperately. I bought a new computer (HP Pro with Windows 7) but my USB infinity foot pedal will not play the transcription files. I have tried everything, even downloading different programs that were supposed to make it work and still nothing. I installed a foot pedal tester, which shows the foot pedal working, but it won't link up to the files when I test. I need to find a company that will provide the equipment qui ...

Companies Who Provide Equipment?
Jul 30, 2013

Can anybody some names of companies (work from home) who provide all of the equipment?  ty ...

Do Most Companies Provide A Computer Or
Aug 18, 2013

do you have to have one already? Thanks in advance ...

Companies That Provide Equipment
Nov 18, 2013

What are some companies that provide the equipment needed to work from home (computer, foot pedal, etc.). I have worked outside the home doing transcription for nine years and now would like to work from home, mainly due to the fact that I cannot find an outside job, but I do not have any equipment and cannot afford it right now. ...

Does Nuance Provide Equipment?
Nov 28, 2013

Does Nuance provide equipment? I have just started job searching. Thanks! Looking for a nice place to work for from home, been a transcriptionist for 23 years, recently lost my job in work force reduction (outsourcing). ...