A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Two-year coding programs - Just FYI

Posted: Oct 06, 2013

There was a post elsewhere about a coding program requiring 2 years.  If you are considering coding, please be aware that a 2-year program would be very unusual.  I have not seen one, other than possibly some for-profit diploma-mill "billing coding degree" affairs, which I don't think anyone here would recommend.  

Please be careful that you understand what the requirements and legitimate options are.

Coding programs - Lally

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you be able to recommend any programs? Thank you!!

I agree with this post - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I took a 2 year course, and although I now have my RHIT, I really have no idea how to code. I want to be a coder, but my skills in coding are very low and I really would need to take another course that is focused just on coding. If I could go back in time, I wish I would have gone with Andrews and then sit for the CCS.

thank you for this! - great post

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate your candor. This post should help a lot of folks make up their mind. Thanks again.

Suggestions - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
College and even most other courses aim for knowledge of a subject more than skill in application of it. It took me 2 years coding on the job before I felt comfortable with it.

You might be overestimating your inability, so to speak. Sure, you might not be able to sit down and code proficiently, but that's to be expected. You need experience for that.

Some courses have better success rates than others, but they mostly teach the same material. You aren't going to get much farther by taking the same stuff over again. While your HIT program might not have given you confidence and practcical skill in doing coding, it still covered the technical material. You have the textbooks and outlines of the material, so you do not need that part of what courses provide.

I have known several people in the same boat. Some of them could not code, but they started doing it anyway and soon succeeded. I was one of them--didn't even know where to start.

A few others thought that they needed another course. Several took the AHIMA online course or a well-respected bootcamp, but finished it only to discover that the material had been exactly the same and that they still could not code because they hadn't coded. I know of one who took both of them, and then took the bootcamp AGAIN, but ended up in the same place each time -- same book-learning, no experience. None of them would even try to code something for real ... "Oh, I just don't feel ready yet... don't know enough ..."

You might not have enough factual knowledge, but few do after a course. Still, you could review on your own, practice using a book like Clinical Coding Workout, and try to get some practice in at work. That might be all you need.

An AAPC in-person CPC prep course might be just enough to get you going, too. It would be directed and focused on passing the CPC.

Another option that is pricey, but possibly worth it, is a DecisionHealth CPC bootcamp. Both of those would help you understand the minimum required material, pass the test, and start coding.

FYI - coding

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to do hosiptal coding you need your RHIT at minimum. These are two year courses at community colleges that give you an AS. They are not rare, they are all over the place, and they are completely necessary for HOSPITAL CODING. Phsycian office billing and coding usually do not require the RHIT.

Make sure you know what coding you are interested. As stated in another post, the pay scale is significantly different. I'm in the midwest and physician office biller/coder make 9-10 per hour. Our hospital CODERS (billing is a separate area) make 20+ starting wage.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with all of that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know if you are a student or what, but you seem to be repeating a popular student misconception. You might know of a facility which prefers RHITs, or even a locality, but you cannot generalize from that to the entire country.

It might be that you have a really great RHIT program there, with a lot of alumni support for hiring their new graduates, but you cannot generalize that to the entire country. If it were true, AHIMA would not be approving any coding certificate programs.

We do not look for coders to have an RHIT. We would prefer the RHIA or CCS, frankly, and we want to see some coding credential in addition to that RHIT because so few RHITs are able to code. The RHIT is nice, but it is entry level. It does not demonstrate coding mastery. See the AHIMA website -- it is written there.

You also appear to think that the only alternative to hospital coding is "physician office coder biller." That is not the case. RHITs do not typically work in such situations, but neither do coders. We have 30+ certified and multicertified coders, only a few of whom are RHITs. Every one of the RHITs has a coding certification.

Have you ever heard of the AHIMA vs AAPC feud? That is the basis for the beliefs you describe. It is the old "my school is better than your school," "my credential is better than your credential" and "my work is real coding and yours is not" routine.

Can you explain - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
why you prefer RHIAs over RHITs? I looked into a RHIA program (I have my RHIT), and there wasn't much more coding education in that program, just more management courses.
Explanation - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It is because they have a 4-year college degree.

Are you thinking that "management" means "supervising"? That is a common reason given for not completing a bachelor's degree in health information management, unfortunately. I manage health information, not people working in HIM. The information, the computer system, the content, the data, processes, organization. It involves data structuring, analysis, programming, and project management.

Yes, I am thinking that management means supervising - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
When I think of going on to get my bachelors in HIM, I think that I would be supervising and managing an HIM department, which exactly what I'm interested in. I'm more interested in data analysis and informatics.
Ok, you'll be thrilled to hear this, then. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Gag me! Managing a medical records dept! Ugh!

I think that is the traditional misconception. Years ago, it was very hard to get an RHIA because there were few schools and you practically had to live at one to do it. The few RHIAs that graduated were tailored to the uptight-director role.

Now, with online degrees, many more people are doing RHIAs. You can still find the old traditional uptight programs, but a lot of newer ones have modern options in data management and informatics. Much more fun! There are lots more jobs now, too.

You should consider Western Governors University. If you have an RHIT already, you can get credit for it, I believe. The price is great, it is online, you move through it as fast as you are able. They have a 100% pass rate on the RHIA, which is outstanding, and grads have several computer certifications. Databases and things you need for data work. I would think you could finish in much less than 2 years.

Sorry, my post may have confused you - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I meant to say that I AM NOT interested in managing an HIM department, but I'm pretty sure you got what I meant. I have looked at WGU for their informatics program. It looks really great. I see that they are probably the most affordable university either online or in person. I am really going to be looking at them more soon. Thanks for your helpful posts. Just curious what exactly you do and did you get your RHIA?
Understood that - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought you did not want to do management. A fine choice!

What do I do? Same thing you want to do, and yes.:-)

I believe you are referring to my post - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
The program offered at my community college is a 2-year course. Yes it is for the AA degree, but they don't have an option to learn "just coding." The school is Tarrant County College, a well respected junior college and hardly a for profit diploma mill. Just remember, everything you think you know is not all there is.

P.S. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
the 2-year course prepares students to sit for the RHIT, the CCS, and the CCS-P.

Using different definitions - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Tarrant has a fine program, but it is an RHIT program. All RHIT programs include coding, but they are still RHIT programs, just as all RHIA programs include coding, but are still RHIA programs. Even if it is the only program in your area that includes coding, and even if every coder in a 50-mile radius learned coding there, and even if their graduates are the pinnacle of perfection, it is still an RHIT program. It does not become a "coding program" because it includes coding or because locals call it the coding program.

That is because the usual definition of "coding program" is one which teaches only the material required for coding. It does not teach about a year's worth of material that includes general education subjects like English and math. It focuses on A&P, pathophysiology, reimbursement methods, ICD-9 diagnosis and procedure coding, etc. These are usually "certificate" programs, rather than degree programs. That is why it would be unusual for a coding program to take 2 years and grant a degree--there are not enough academic hours in them to constitute a degree. If you do see one that teaches billing-coding as a degree program, it will nearly always be a diploma mill that has inflated the coding billing material to take twice as long. Tarrant is not guilty of that, because they are teaching an RHIT program.

I am sure about this because the course requirements for thr RHIA, RHIT, and for coding are explained on the AHIMA website. They have an accreditation program for RHIA and RHIT, but an approval program for coding programs. They would not need the approval program for coding if it was the same as an RHIT program.

Your definition is just different from the one we are using. In our definition, a coding program is an about 1 year course that teaches just coding. Many students begin with it, then move on to RHIA and RHIA programs while working. You don't have a program like that near you. Others do. Others would not need to do an entire 2 year RHIT program just to get coding.

It is also not necessary to take a course at a college near you or at a college at all. There are many options.

I hope this helped you to see the type of program we are talking about.

P.S. Tarrant does have a coding program, as it happens. It teaches only 3 courses, med terms, ICD9, and CPT. That course would be inadequate for most coding jobs because it does not contain enough material. The fact that it teaches little does not mean that it is representative of all coding programs. That might explain why your employer thinks RHITs are desirable for coding and why you have such a seemingly low opinion of physician office coders -- from what you see, they are poorly prepared.

In other areas, non-RHIT coders may be well-prepared. I was never an RHIT, but I held both AHIMA and 2 AAPC coding credentials while working in medical center inpatient coding.

We think it is fine for you to attend Tarrant's RHIT program to learn coding. We just don't want to confuse others who do not live in Ft Worth and do not have RHIT programs like Tarrant. They may have to decide among the other types of coding programs.

2-year HIT program vs 1-year coding program - In it now

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a 2-year HIT (health information technology program), which is the continuation of the 1-year coding program.

That is correct - smJust FYI

[ In Reply To ..]
Many colleges that offer 2-year HIT programs also offer 1-year coding programs. The coding students simply take the courses that pertain to coding, which can be done in about 1 year. They can then get a job while finishing the rest of the courses in the HIT program.

That doesn't mean the coding program is all freshman courses. They are usually courses from both first and second years. When students continue on, they end up going back and doing the general requirements like English, math, other sciences, and humanities. They also take HIT courses like statistics, informatics, theory of HIT, office management, and so forth.

Similar Messages:

Coding School - Looking Into Programs
Jul 13, 2011

I am looking into coding programs and have it narrowed down to possibly two.  They are Andrews and Kaplan University.  Does anybody have any experience with any of these that could help me with my decision. Also, are there any other coding programs out there that are worth looking at? Thanks. ...

Wondering What Coding Programs Teaching ICD 10
May 19, 2014

Since it has been delayed. Start all over teaching ICD9? What a mess! Can anyone tell me how their coding program is handling this? ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

Do Any Coding Programs Provide A Laptop With Tuition?
Sep 06, 2010

Our family computer is pretty much worn out and I've heard some of the coding programs provide students with laptops and other supplies when they sign up.  Has anyone been provided with a laptop as part of a coding course? Thanks in advance :-) ...

Need Some Real Advice On Medical Coding Programs
Oct 23, 2013

I need some real advice on medical coding programs. I feel like I have been searching the internet for weeks and am still at a loss as to what program is the best and if I should start now or wait for ICD10 to come out. Is a CPC or CCS better or should I get both? Please let me know your thoughts on the best program to attend online. ...

Coding Programs - Santa Barbara City College
May 20, 2010

I just registered for Santa Barbara City College's HIT program online.  Has anyone else taken their program?  I really needed to find a school that was accredited because I qualify for FAFSA to help me pay for it.  I looked into Andrews and also AHIMA, but all were WAY too expensive and you can't receive financial aid.  If anyone can give me information on the Santa Barbara courses, if you've taken it through them, please do!  Thanks!  (I'm ...

Which Of The AHIMA-approved Coding Programs Are Good Quality?
May 08, 2014

Has anyone taken any of the AHIMA-approved coding programs and gotten credentials and a job? I'm just wondering which of them prepare you adequately to pass the credential tests and get hired. I looked on the AHIMA site at the distance learning coding programs they recommend, and here they are: Camden County College Career Step Dakota State University Great Falls College Montana State University Lone Star College North Dakota State College of Science Santa Barbara City College Shor ...

Best Time Of Year For Coding School?
Apr 30, 2014

Hello.  I was wondering if there is a best time of year to start coding school so I wouldn't have to buy many more books or new books when having to take an exam.  I know a lot of factors would go into this, such as how long it would take me to do the course, but was wondering anyway.  I plan to go through Andrews.  Thanks so much for your input! ...

54-year-old. Should I Go To School For Coding Or Stay In Transcription? Sm
Mar 05, 2010

At my age, should I try to go to school for medical biilling/coding or just stay wtih transcription or try another job (JoAnn Fabrics, etc.).  I am 54 and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there?  If coding, what schooll(s) are good on-line or in AZ or OH?  Thanks! ...

I Wonder If The Two Year Coding Contract Works Both Ways?
Mar 16, 2014

After your six months of training, they put you on production and you are unable to meet their standards with accuracy or amount of charts?  Are you guaranteed to have a job for two years?  Yes, they are paying for your schooling, so you owe them two years, but you WILL be spending your time studying and supposedly the program is very intense -- do you get a guarantee for employment for that long? ...

What Do Hospitals Do With Their Coding Books From The Prior Year?
May 23, 2014

I was just wondering since each year the coding books are updated, what do hospitals do with the previous year's books?  There hasn't been an update to ICD-9 since 2012? Correct?     Thank you, PT ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

FTP Programs
Oct 24, 2009

Does anyone know what this is?  Or what FTP stands for? ...

Who Programs The ASR?
Nov 16, 2009

Okay, I want to know who programs the ASR.  I'm told that we do, but anytime I make a ligit change, it doesn't stick.  Yet, all of a sudden, on an account I have been typing on for 3 years, ASR starts changing the word stroke to a backslash (/) and this is for every instance.  If this is something our lovely ILPs are doing, I don't think they are going to last long.  If this is something our new USMTs are doing, it's no wonder our work is being shippe ...

VR Programs
Oct 08, 2012

I would appreciate some feedback on VR programs.  Are you currently working on one you you would recommend?  If so, which one and why?  Also, are you working on one you would not recommend.  If so, which one and why?  I would greatly appreciate this information, as we are just beginning to explore the possibility of going to a VR program and this information would be of great value to us in choosing a program that is transcriptionist friendly.  ...

Programs For A MAC
Dec 28, 2012

Hello.  A friend is a psychiatrist and just got a Mac.  What voice recognition software works well with Macs? ...

Shorthand Programs
Nov 25, 2009

I would like to know a little more about the shorthand programs and which one is best to use? Thank you in advance. ...

Cumbersome EMR And VR Programs
Feb 24, 2010

I just spoke with an MT at a large radiology group who says they use different softwares for different studies. So they have probably 5 different programs to try to merge into one cohesive patient record. So if they have an MRI and a mammogram (two different software programs), she spends her day putting them together. Not only that, but before they implemented these cumbersome programs, they had 2 IT people to run the IT show. Now they have 7 all of these different engines running. They got rid ...

MT Training Programs
May 08, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good online training program for Medical Transcription? ...

Mentoring Programs
Apr 21, 2011

Hi.  I finished MT school at Oak Horizons in November/December of 2010.  I also did an intership for a company and after I finished they told me I needed to get a job in a small clinic so I would have someone working with me.  In my small town there is not any small clinics or any surrounding towns that I know of.  I wanted to ask all of you about any Mentoring Programs?  The only one I have looked into was AIM and some of the feed back I have read was good for the mento ...

Internship Programs
Apr 27, 2011

I am almost finished with my MT course but feel I need more training.  I have heard about internship programs, specifically AIM mentoring program (Houck Transcription) and  Online Transcription Essentials Internship program, both had enrollment fees that aren't too bad.  What their advertising and what I am questiioning is it true that they do hire their interns after the program ends?   ...

Software Programs
Jul 25, 2011

I've worked for 3 different MTSOs. each bought out by another. I was never aware of the type of software programs used by these companies as the work platforms were "proprietary." I'm currently looking for part-time work and notice that most all job applications are asking for the name of or type of software programs used. How do I find out this information? As an example, Webmedx used Enterprise, but I have no idea what software program was used to create this platform. How do I ...

Incentive Programs
Feb 05, 2013

Do most companies offer some type of incentive program on top of regular CPL or is that few and far between? Thanks. ...

How Do They Sell These VR Programs??
Dec 18, 2013

I'm assuming the software vendors talk the clients into how much they'll save by paying editors to fix this crap.  There is no way someone would buy into this software if they knew what it really looked like in draft form...omg.  It would not surprise me if the software vendor slipped a few Benjamins under the table to a willing doc at the facility and had him "train" the software before the presentation to the client.  The doc goes in, reads from a script, and near perf ...

Does Anybody Know If The Nuance Programs Are
May 29, 2014

compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1? TIA. ...

Programs Out There To Do The Proofreading For You
Jun 02, 2014

I have a doc I do IC for who thinks there are programs out there to do the proofreading for you.  Considering what he pays for what I am expected to do I wish he was right, but I have never heard of such a thing.  Anyone out there have any idea? ...

Inquiry On Training Programs - Which One?!
Jan 16, 2010

Helllo - I am considering a career transition to MT, and presently researching AHDI-approved MT programs. I've heard lots of great things about Andrews School; does anyone know anything about, or have taken, the program through TRSi? This is the other one that I was considering. Thanks for your help! D. ...

Voice File Programs
Jul 23, 2010

Is there a program out there that I can purchase other than Express Scribe that would make it easier for me to adjust things on so that I can hear the file a little better? Thank you ...