A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone ever get a tuition refund... - anon

Posted: Jun 26, 2010

...for feeling like they were ripped off on their MT education? I am almost done and do not feel like I could do the job even decently at this time. I find that unacceptable as I have personally very high standards for myself and would not want the humiliation of attempting to work in the field right now.

Any input is appreciated....

It's easy to find out if you are due a refund. Look at your contract - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
What does your contract say about refunds? Usually there is an amount of time and/or amount of the course. When you've gone past a certain point either in time or in the work you've completed, you aren't due a refund. You said that you're almost finished, so you may not be due one. What does your contract say though?

Well, you are correct - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
about the refund policy. But, what about getting to the end and realizing I am not equipped for the job I am training for despite being a very dedicated student as well as feeling like I am very well suited for this job based on my personality traits, passion for knowledge and research, background, testing in the 90th percentile in English, etc. I believe, as is stated in several areas on this web site, that I would need to enroll in one of the top two schools to really feel even remotely prepared for a career in the field. What can one do about that, if anything?? I'm also curious if anyone has asked for and received a refund based on this premise before? I also feel that the editing is very subjective on the transcriptions I'm doing for school and that is seriously messing with my head about what is considered right or wrong. I'm actually much less concerned about the medical terminology than the grammar and punctuation, which I could swear they change their minds on what is right or wrong based on whomever edited that particular transcription!

I'm afraid you're likely SOL - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
The time to investigate the suitability of the school would have been before you signed the contract. And as far as that goes, you don't even know for sure whether you're ill prepared for the job or not yet. It's a rough time in the industry right now and even those from the perceived top schools are not getting hired, so even whether you're getting a job or not would be hard to prove as based on your school.

As to the sometimes whimsical nature of the feedback you're getting now, that doesn't change once you're working so at least you're used to it. Each member of the QA departments of the MTSOs all seem to operate on their own set of rules, and what's wrong to one is right to another, and the rules seem to change every day.

this thought never crossed my mind, if I felt unprepared - nomess

[ In Reply To ..]
I would blame myself.

You get what you pay for!

I'm afraid it's 'Buyer Beware' as with anything else in life - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I don't think spending - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
$3,000 on my schooling is cheap, as the poster implied above, that I might have "gotten what I paid for."

I'd like someone to explain how exactly you do your due diligence on an institution beforehand. After seeing the posts on this board I feel much more informed, but have not seen information that is comparable elsewhere on the internet. I still don't see any horrible reviews from my school (even on here) that might have alerted me before I signed up. They just aren't considered on of the top 3. They are an AHDI approved school, which at the time I thought that would be important (not so much according to some people on this board). So...I guess it truly is a buyer beware situation.

I have decided today that I love the work, I'm going to stick with it, and I plan on being an excellent and successful MT, DESPITE where I went to school! :)

Have a very lovely day one and all!

AHDI approval - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
really means nothing to me and nothing to many other MTSOs. They sold out the MT and got in the proverbial bed with Medquist years ago. That ought to say enough.

Good decision to stick with it! - joker-sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You must have at least a good basic MT education. Build on this! Stay with it, keep practicing and learning. The rest is in the attitude you keep. You seem to have that! I did not go to a top school, but I kept learning and believing, and it worked for me. There are practice files you can keep doing.

for what it's worth... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to a top 3 school and there were no negative reviews about it online, either. Very little information at all, actually. The only thing you might have been able to do is post on boards asking for graduates to tell their stories, but even THAT would be problematic if you got someone who lied or specifically wanted to make the school look good/bad.

Tuition Refund - LadyMT

[ In Reply To ..]

I am currently pursuing a refund from the school I attended. In addition to feeling ripped off was the fact that the school enforced terms that were not included in the contract I signed.  There were also other issues as well. Unfortunately, I found this website after I was too far along in the course to stop. I found some feedback on this board about the school I attended and none of it was complimentary. I thought I had done sufficient research on the school but I was wrong. If you really feel ripped off, there are options available to you to get the matter resolved. There's the BBB, the state licensing agency for the school and Consumer Affairs to name a few. As I understand it, there are also FTC regulations that govern how online schools are to operate. Unfortunately, some of these schools seem to feel safe to operate the way they do because students who have been "ripped off" choose to post on message boards rather than pursue their complaint in a venue where they can be helped.  Sorry if I sound harsh but I've seen a lot of complaint messages about various schools on this board.  If you really feel strongly about your situation, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.  This is what I'm doing.  I may not get a refund but it won't be because I didn't try.

Similar Messages:

WMX/Nuance Equipment Refund
Jul 01, 2011

Am waiting for return shipping instructions and thought... hum, wonder if there are going to be any problems getting my refund?   I know the acquisition has just recently taken place, but has anyone dealt with this issue yet?  My luck Nuance will say they are not refunding money that Webmedx owes.  Figure I will get ^*^*^* one more time before I get out of there totally. ...

Ex-webbies Equipment Refund
Aug 02, 2011

I know they say to expect refund in 4 to 6 weeks, is it really taking that long to get equipment refund back?  I figure by that time they will say "this company no longer exists..  Your loss!!". ...

Webmedx Equipment Refund ?
Aug 18, 2011

When (and if) they refund the equipment deposit is it a check mailed or direct deposit?  I know they said 4 to 6 weeks. ...

Tuition Reimbursement?
Jul 05, 2012

Does Nuance offer tuition reimbursement for its employees for CMT or RHIT, or anything? ...

Synernet Tuition Reimbursement
Jul 05, 2012

What is tuition reimbursement at Synernet entail. What do they mean by that? Thank you. ...

Does MModal Offer Tuition Reimbursment
Oct 29, 2012

I didn't see anything on the intranet, and I highly doubt they do but just wanted to ask here in case anyone knew for sure. I'm finally making the decision to go back to school and hopefully get a good career. ...

Do Any Coding Programs Provide A Laptop With Tuition?
Sep 06, 2010

Our family computer is pretty much worn out and I've heard some of the coding programs provide students with laptops and other supplies when they sign up.  Has anyone been provided with a laptop as part of a coding course? Thanks in advance :-) ...

Advice On Andrews School Tuition Options.
Sep 04, 2012

Hi. I am very interested in attending Andrews school for coding. The only problem is I may not be able to pay in full at the time of enrollment. Has anyone done the payment option and if so how did it work for you? Thanks. ...