A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding schools/education - coding student

Posted: Mar 26, 2014

I think it would be very helpful for many people if some of the more senior coding people on this forum could advise on what new coders should look for in a school or training program.  I'm not looking for specific names, but rather that you should make sure your school teaches A, B and C.  Things you want to avoid are X, Y and Z.   

Personally, my first school would probably have done the trick (a community college) if not for the fact that they only offered certain classes during certain semesters.  If I had stayed there it was going to take me over two years to finish, because I needed to go part time.   That was not something I had thought about at the time.

If, for whatever reason you do not like this question, please don't get nasty -- just don't answer it.  It won't hurt my feelings one bit.  I feel like coding education can be confusing.

I am also interested in this information. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am taking a coding program that has advisors, not instructors, that simply follows a workbook (Nelly Leon Chisen) and then has us take a chapter test. I'm struggling a bit with this way of learning, given how elaborate coding is, so I would love some advice on coding programs as well.

coding school suggestions - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
This is not exhaustive but some things that I looked for when choosing a program. If you want to take the CCS exam (through AHIMA), I copied this from their site about requirements (or you could qualify by experience, but these are requirements of your educational program if you do not have experience):
By Education: Completion of a coding training program that includes anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding.

There are some confusing areas in coding as you progress and I would recommend that you ask what instructors are available (for an on line course) for any questions that may arise, AND do they have CURRENT coding experience? I have a friend who took a course through her community college which was taught by an instructor who had NEVER coded and was just teaching from the book, but was not of much help. I am not putting down community college courses and this may be a great option, but be sure to ask if the instructor has actually coded!

Good luck, it is hard to make that initial decision and you don't want to waste your hard-earned money on a program that does not prepare you!

AAPC website - coder2

[ In Reply To ..]
check it out - your local chapter may offer classes. I took a class to get my CPC through our local chapter, less expensive, but it was intense training, lots of studying. It does help if you already have medical terminology knowledge. Good luck!

More school suggestions - education suggestions

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a 2 year AAS in Health Information Technology from the local technical school. This was a fully accredited program that prepared me for the RHIT, which is a very versatile and highly recognized credential. I took a total of 4 coding courses spread throughout the program. The thing that makes this program unique is that it includes more than just coding.
Are you working as a coder? - And what kind?
[ In Reply To ..]
How many years did it take you tocomplete that program and what was the total cost?
educational programs - more information
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, Yes I am working as a coder. I was hired less than a month after I graduated. I am a Coder I which is considered entry level. I code clinic for the local health system that includes both clinic and hospital. I was actually a transcriptionist who transitioned to coding. I did the program in 2 years. I did it part time as I was working full time, but was able to transfer in my general education coursework. The total cost of the program was about 18 to 20,000, but I did receive educational reimbursement from my employer. Hope this answers your question.

Thank you so much for the advice! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Some very good suggestions/ideas.

Similar Messages:

Coding Education Timing
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking for some feedback/advice on pursuing medical coding education.  I'm 53 and will be retiring from my current government position in about 3 years - about the time the ICD-10 will be in full implementation. (On the side, I work part-time as a medical transcriptionist.) I was advised to hold off on taking a medical coding course for a couple of years due to the fact I would be learning from the current ICD-9 and then have to have retraining later in the ICD ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

L S (Lynn Schoeler) Coding And Education
Nov 14, 2010

I know, I have posted a lot here in the last few weeks... but I need to get started.  I have decided to focus on the outpatient coding.  I have thought of enrolling in Andrews, but I have been an MT for over 10 years now and I do not need the anatomy classes, etc.  I have always worked on the clinic side during my MT career.  I feel in my coding career I would like to do the same, preferably for an orthopedic office.  I feel that training on just this side (and having ...

Extra Coding Education Question
Aug 24, 2012

I completed an associate's degree last winter and got my RHIT credentials.  I have applied for a couple local coding jobs, which I did not get.  They both had a coding test I had to take and pass before they would interview me.  I failed both of these tests miserably.  It was embarrassing.  One lady who was the HIM manager asked me if my program even taught me how to code!  Yes, I have my RHIT, but I don't really know how to code!  I know the basics, ...

Advise About Where To Look For Educational Grants For Medical Coding Education
Mar 04, 2013

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to attend medical coding school, The Andrew's School, is the school I want to attend.  I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions about education grants that I can look into.  I would like some information.  Thank you in advance. Fondly, Suzie ...

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes! Last Night I Mentioned The Coding Education Offer To My Husband, Sm
Mar 11, 2014

and my teenage son, who has witnessed many meltdowns that I have had working for MM, was in earshot and simply said, Mom, wouldn't that be like marrying an abusive boyfriend?  His analogy was right on if you ask me! I have been sending out resumes, actively looking for another job and when I saw this I thought that it sounds great and is a very generous offer but in the end you will still be working for Mmodal who expects everything and gives nothing in return.  I am her ...

So Many Coding Schools..recommendations?
Jun 23, 2011

I'm one of many MTs who are considering coding. I want to do acute care coding, or hospital/surgical. I've spoke with Allied, AAPC, and both sound reasonable for CPC-H certification. Does anyone have any experiences with either or other schools/courses they will share? ...

Before You Commit To Coding Schools
May 16, 2011

Hi all, I just wanted to say, before you commit to a coding course, make sure you have enough time to study! I started Andrews School last year, and right after I started I found out I was pregnant.  I work a full time job and now have a new baby.  After I completed the first module and started the second module, I was so stressed out I needed a break, now I am having trouble getting back into the swing of things and finding the time to study.  My entire tuition is paid for and I ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

Coding And Billing Schools
Sep 16, 2011

Just lost my part-time transcripton job and starting to hear that this field is becoming extinct. Thinking about going to school online for billing and coding.  Anybody know of a oustanding accredited school?  Do not want to waste time and money barking up the wrong tree.  Is it costly? ...

Choices Of Schools For Coding
Jan 10, 2012

I am trying to sort through the different options out there for education in coding - is there an online school that most of you would recommend?  I am officially out of  MT'ing after 20 years, threw up my hands, literally, gave up trying to make a living at it.  I would probably use up half of my savings for schooling, but after many months of trying on different "hats", so to speak, in the work force, my heart is pulling me back to the medical field.  Opinions??? ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Coding Classes - Tons Of Schools
May 10, 2010

I have looked at tons of schools and read tons of info.  I am down to AAPC or Career step.  Which one is better?  And have you taken either at career step or AAPC ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

One More Question On Schools... Meditec. Does Anyone Know Much About The Coding Course Offered Thro
Nov 07, 2010

Just cannot decide between Meditec, AAPC, Career Step or Andrews.... ARGHHH   I am hoping to get into outpatient coding, preferably in an orthopedic practice!  I want the most in-depth training that is out there.  I want to be fully prepared.  If Andrews is most expensive but offers the most in-depth training, I will go with them.  It's a hard decision to make especially with so many different schools out there! ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Education
Apr 13, 2011

Please help! I just completed an online MT course a month ago. While I was in the program, they added a couple classes, and in the process removed some of the course content from the class I was in. I now have to take the additional 2 classes (at an added expense) in order to "complete" their program. Their program was full of errors, and I was constantly contacting the school to correct THEIR answers! Needless to say, the level of education I received is not sufficient to gain employment, even ...

Bad Education
Mar 03, 2014

I went to school to be a medical coder. After I started the program I found out it was basically self taught. I completed it with a 3.8 gap. They didn't poo offer certification testing. It's been 3 years and I  still unemployed and not certified. What do I do? ...

Education Confusion!
May 09, 2010

So I am looking into making the switch from MT to coder.  The AHIMA program says it takes 15 months to complete and then you can sit for the CCA exam.  The AAPC program says you must complete it in 4 months and you can sit for CPC or CPC-H.  Wouldn't the latter be better?  I've been reading that CCA is pretty much worthless.  So, why would CCA take 15 months and CPC take 4 months?  Also, every job I've seen for a coder requires experience.  How c ...

Getting A Podiatry Education
Aug 21, 2010

I need help again (please)   "no evidence of any ulcer (sounds like quemous) to the foot". Patient is a diabetic but no signs of of ischemia.  Any ideas?    For some reaon I am learning a lot this week. ...

Just Getting Started... Education??
Jun 17, 2011

Hello All! I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options. I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings ...

Education On $1,000.00 Budget.
Jul 15, 2011

I may be able to raise one thousand dollars in a few months time. Are there any worthwhile schools online that I can enroll in for MT? Which are the best within the budget limit? Which do you suggest? ...

Education Assistance
May 30, 2013

I am looking to go back to school to train in accounting. I thought I had seen in the past people talking about some education assistance we would be eligible for since work was going overseas (or something along those lines). Does anybody know where to get more information on this? Thanks! ...

Education Question
Oct 26, 2013

I thought that I read on here a little while ago where someone said that if you have a bachelor's degree you can take a certificate course or something to sit for the RHIA?  I have a bachelor's degree in business and I'm interested in this, if it is something that really exists.  Anyone know what I'm talking about? ...

This Little Education And Experience
Nov 16, 2014

I realize people use creative license on their linkedin pages, not everyone, but a lot of people, and it can be deceptive and/or outight lies.  But this?  Really?   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/h-lea-cope/47/935/290?trk=pub-pbmap ...

Lol...ad To Become An MT Instructor And They Will Provide You With A MT Education
Jun 24, 2010

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas) Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Part time instructor position Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee. About Med Workshops Med Workshops ...

Continuing Education Webinar
Oct 08, 2012

I am just wondering if anybody finds the continuing education webinars helpful.  This month is on productivity...wondering if anybody thought it was helpful/worth the time. ...

Continuing Education/Certifying
Mar 18, 2013

I have been working as a Medical Assistant for about 12 yrs.  I want to make myself more marketable, expand my education, and get certified in this area.  I'm considering using Career Steps because they are the only one I found that offers an Editing program along with the MT certification.  I feel that will open my realm of qualifications.  Their tuition is between $2600 and $2700 and can be completed in about four months. Is that a reasonable tuition/timeframe? Any i ...

Continuing Education Training?
Apr 02, 2015

for what?  To add to our knowledge base that is so valued that we are paid minimum wage?  to keep our skills honed so we are the best that we can be until you don't need us anymore?  how about some training that might be useful to us?  For instance, training for non-MT careers?     ...