A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Before you commit to coding schools - stressed and anxious

Posted: May 16, 2011

Hi all,

I just wanted to say, before you commit to a coding course, make sure you have enough time to study! I started Andrews School last year, and right after I started I found out I was pregnant.  I work a full time job and now have a new baby.  After I completed the first module and started the second module, I was so stressed out I needed a break, now I am having trouble getting back into the swing of things and finding the time to study.  My entire tuition is paid for and I am so scared that is going to be money just wasted.  However, Andrews has been very understanding about it, but i just don't know if I will ever finish in the time allowed to finish the course.  I just wanted to let you all know that coding is demanding, moreso that I thought it would be.  I thought since I was a medical transcriptionist I would breeze right through and how WRONG I am/was. 

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know before jumping in as I did wiithout really knowing how much time I would need to set aside to study.  I know I will find a way to finish, but I feel as though I am rushing mysellf. 

Good luck to everyone :)

Stressed and anxious - see message - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I experienced the same thing. I work 40 hours as an MT and found it very difficult to study after working an 8-hour day; sometimes my brain on overload and I had trouble remembering everything that there was to remember. I also did not expect it to be so demanding. I didn't go to Andrews but their course is probably tougher than the one I did. Thanks for your honesty, I feel better to know I'm not the only person who struggled.

No piece of cake - CoderO

[ In Reply To ..]
I also went to Andrews and it was the hardest year of my life. I also worked full time while doing the course at night and on weekends. That is ALL I did with my free time for a year and 4 months. I had a lot of meltdowns, almost quits, and felt very isolated. If I had children, there is no way I could have done it. Everything else was put on the back burner. The work load is extremely heavy but I got all the assignments in each week that were required. The truth is though, if I didn�t have a schedule to follow where I was expected to get things in each week, I never would have finished on my own. I made myself do it because I would have felt much worse if I didn't! It did pay off in the end.

Have you taken the certification exam yet? - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Just wondering how you did on the certification test(s).
Yes, I took it - CoderO
[ In Reply To ..]
I did get certified about 4 months after I graduated. I kept studying on my own for that time. I went for the CCS first and did quite well. Then a few months after that I got my CPC-H and did well also. I have been working for a couple years now as a coder and I can tell you, it is not an easy profession. You have to keep studying, keep researching, and there is a lot to deal with with RAC, Medicare, documentation, ICD-10 coming down the pike. Not for the faint of heart!
Impressive! Thanks for the good information. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you so much exactly how I have felt! - stressed and anxious

[ In Reply To ..]
I sure thank you for posting that, as I was truly starting to feel like a failure. I know my pregnancy hormones didn't help and now it's the lack of sleep, but I keep telling myself if I don't finish this, I will never ever forgive myself and I will REALLY feel like a failure! So, I am going to commit to it again and I do have a wonderful husband that pitches in and helps, but when I do go study, I start feeling like I'm neglecting them. He says I'm not, of course. I am so glad to see you were successful in completing to course. Thank you again and the best of luck to you!! :)
I sure hope you guys aren't putting all that time and $$ - into a coding career, just to see it go to India.
[ In Reply To ..]
The near-inevitability of that is what has made me decide not to learn coding. It just seems too risky... "just another expense" that hospitals will be foaming at the mouth to do away with, at least inhouse, and which middlemen similar to MTSOs (or in some cases, the same people) will be all to eager to ruin for us.
There are no guarantees in life, but if you feel that way, you definitely shouldn't do it - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
We all have to consider all of the facts, weigh our options, and make our decisions. It sounds like you have done that and you've decided against coding. That's very wise. Nobody should do anything if they feel that, in your words, "It just seems too risky." I wouldn't do it either if I felt that way.

What I tell myself is, 'You can't live your life in fear.'

I know that the room could fall in on my house today too, but I'm still going to live in my house. People have died from eating tainted produce, but I still eat tomatoes and onions. There are no perfect careers free from all sorts of possibilities, but if I felt the way you did, I would run away from anything to do with coding. That's a choice we all get to make.

I very much respect your thoughts, but I couldn't disagree with you more about your assessment.
So, what ARE you planning to do??? - Coder2
[ In Reply To ..]
If not coding, then what utterly risk-free, $40-70K, no-college-degree occupation would you suggest?

Even though coding takes time and effort to learn, it is still one of the few remaining well-paying occupations accessible withOUT a college degree.

Do you realize that this forum is probably the only place where people say that coding is going to India? Nobody else talks about this.

I see your post as an indication that you do not understand the job at all. You are focused on seeing it as something that remains an entry-level clerical chore. That HAS to be what you see because that is the only part of it that could be offshored or done by computer.

You aren't seeing the rest of the job and career field that would be very difficult to offshore. You are also not seeing the absolute banning of offshoring for federal contracts, which are some of the largest in the nation. You aren't grasping the huge financial impact of coding that tends to dissuade institutions from risking losing control of it by offshoring.

In other words, you are totally and completely missing the point. Anyone who IS a successful coder can tell you that.

Sure, I think there might be a Pakistani or Indian physician or two who lets his brother-in-law back home do his coding. I don't care about them because I don't want their jobs anyway--most of those aren't that good.

Sure, I think there may be a company out there that imagines itself becoming rich on data mining and thinking that their MTs can just crank out some codes while they type. I don't care about that because I understand where that is coming from and where it is likely to go, and my job isn't going to be affected by that.

Going by what I see in your post, I think you would be a terrible coder. Why? Because your post communicates that, presumably in spite of having had quite a lot of time to learn about this occupation, you have not learned about it. Because your post communicates a rigidity of thinking and inability to adapt and change. Because your post communicates a negative, closed-minded outlook on life.

My guess is that you would not be successful in coding because coding requires continuous learning, the ability to adapt rapidly to constant change, and a positive outlook to deal with the frustrations of dealing with healthcare providers on the one hand and people who do not want to pay them on the other.

Few employers would want to hire someone who exhibited those characteristics--they are evidence of a lack of professionalism.

That might not be what YOU want to hear, but it is what readers of your post need to hear in order to put it into the correct perspective.
Coder-2, coding is ALREADY being outsourced and - offshored. It is NOT a "risk-free" job. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Risk free jobs - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Show me a risk-free job and I'm there. I think that any of us who are gainfully employed are very fortunate. I didn't believe the talk about coding being outsourced either but it does happen. If it will happen as much as it does with MT remains to be seen, it could take years and years, I know I've been warned about VR in MT for probably at least 10 years and I am just now seeing it start to happen. Regardless, this is a concern for coders too, I found a discussion on the AAPC website, which should be a reliable source of information. I still say that anyone who wants to learn coding should do it and not be afraid. There are plenty of jobs now and training and certification do not take that long.
I want a risk-free job. Please! :) - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I've never had a risk-free job in my whole entire life. I don't think it's going to happen.
There aren't any risk-free jobs - Coder2
[ In Reply To ..]
There aren't any risk-free jobs.

The only coding that is likely to go anywhere is entry-level coding, and I don't care if entry-level coding goes to Antartica, because I do not do entry-level coding. I don't even do higher-level straight coding. I do something that can't be outsourced and I made darned sure that I got into that as fast as possible. It's far more interesting to me and it's secure.

One thing you have to understand is the difference between MT and coding. In MT, there is one job. You learn to transcribe and you stay transcribing. The only advancement results from experience or productivity. When there is one job and no place to go from there, it can be a problem.

There is more than ONE job in coding. I've said it here before--the process of identifying disease words and attaching codes to them is a rudimentary coding skill. Coders CAN do that, but that is not coding.

It is no more coding than using a pocket calculator is engineering.

You aren't seeing that because you have no idea what coding is or how the industry works.

If someone wants to send their rudimentary, entry-level coding to India, it's fine with me. It isn't going to affect my job in the least.

Well, thanks for your concern. - CoderO
[ In Reply To ..]
You do sure have enough worry to go around, but no need to worry about us. Just follow your own path. To each his own.
I think that may have been a hit & run post - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Line drive. Thanks, Coder2, again for good information. - Please keep it coming. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Please contact us right away! - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
Could I ask you to email us right away, please? I think if we have a chance to discuss expectations and generate a plan of action, a lot of that stress can be relieved.

You're absolutely correct that there is a lot of work involved in learning coding. If there wasn't much involved in it, everyone could do it and it wouldn't be a very good job.

We can work with you on that, though. Please contact us right away so we can talk about the end goal and a plan for getting there!

Similar Messages:

Coding Schools - Where Did YOU Go?
Jun 01, 2010

Okay, here we go again.....if anyone has attended a coding school in the last year, is attending a coding school, could you please post your thoughts (was it worth the money, quality, etc)?  I know several people are still on the fence as to whether to pay the large sum to go to a private school (Andrews, DeVry) or attend community colleges in preparation to take their credentials in coding.  I've been reading posts saying the education from all is basically the same, of course it ...

So Many Coding Schools..recommendations?
Jun 23, 2011

I'm one of many MTs who are considering coding. I want to do acute care coding, or hospital/surgical. I've spoke with Allied, AAPC, and both sound reasonable for CPC-H certification. Does anyone have any experiences with either or other schools/courses they will share? ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

Coding And Billing Schools
Sep 16, 2011

Just lost my part-time transcripton job and starting to hear that this field is becoming extinct. Thinking about going to school online for billing and coding.  Anybody know of a oustanding accredited school?  Do not want to waste time and money barking up the wrong tree.  Is it costly? ...

Choices Of Schools For Coding
Jan 10, 2012

I am trying to sort through the different options out there for education in coding - is there an online school that most of you would recommend?  I am officially out of  MT'ing after 20 years, threw up my hands, literally, gave up trying to make a living at it.  I would probably use up half of my savings for schooling, but after many months of trying on different "hats", so to speak, in the work force, my heart is pulling me back to the medical field.  Opinions??? ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

Coding Schools/education
Mar 26, 2014

I think it would be very helpful for many people if some of the more senior coding people on this forum could advise on what new coders should look for in a school or training program.  I'm not looking for specific names, but rather that you should make sure your school teaches A, B and C.  Things you want to avoid are X, Y and Z.    Personally, my first school would probably have done the trick (a community college) if not for the fact that they only off ...

Coding Classes - Tons Of Schools
May 10, 2010

I have looked at tons of schools and read tons of info.  I am down to AAPC or Career step.  Which one is better?  And have you taken either at career step or AAPC ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

One More Question On Schools... Meditec. Does Anyone Know Much About The Coding Course Offered Thro
Nov 07, 2010

Just cannot decide between Meditec, AAPC, Career Step or Andrews.... ARGHHH   I am hoping to get into outpatient coding, preferably in an orthopedic practice!  I want the most in-depth training that is out there.  I want to be fully prepared.  If Andrews is most expensive but offers the most in-depth training, I will go with them.  It's a hard decision to make especially with so many different schools out there! ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

First We Get An Email Saying PLEASE Commit To
Dec 11, 2014

we are so backed up, need all the help we can get...blah blah blah......followed less than a half hour later with an email giving us the steps to take when we run out of work.  What is WRONG with this picture ?  Sigh........ ...

What Are The Top 3 MT Schools? Nm
Jan 25, 2011

nm ...

OMg, I Wish These Med Schools
May 01, 2012

would teach these up-and-coming's and anyone who dictates, nurses, etc, how to pronounce words.  Just had an non-ESL pronounce auscultation -- "a-cuss-o-lation."  pleaseeeeeee.  ...

Does Anyone Know Who Does Own/run The Various MT Schools?
Jun 21, 2012

I was reading through the different comments below and now I'm curious about something. Does anyone know who actually owns and runs the various MT schools/programs/courses?  Do we also know how long they have owned/run them? ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Best Schools/expected Pay
Aug 26, 2010

so now what schools are the best (in Ohio)?  are the on-line schools comparable?  and what can i expect, as a "newbie" to be making once i land a job?  is it better to work for a MT company or be "in" the actual work environment.  hospitals vs doctors offfices, etc.  need all the info i can get.  thanks to everyone again. ...

Online Schools
Dec 07, 2010

I am interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering what online school you would recommend. Two that I saw that was interesting was FutureMT and CareerStep. I want to make sure I pick a good school so i can get a good foundation.Also how long did it take for you to finish school? I heard between 3-6 months. Thanks ...

Has Anyone Went To Allied Schools?
Jan 31, 2011

Has anyone went to Allied Schools?  They are ADHI approved but do not use SUM.  I have talked to many school and would like to know if anyone went here and what their impression was.  Thanks. ...

Allied Schools
Feb 28, 2011

I am going through Allied Schools Medical Transcription program and I was wondering if anyone else out there has gone through them and what they thought. I am close to graduating and also wanted to hear how difficult it was to find a job for an entry level position. Thanks! ...

Reputable Schools
Dec 01, 2011

Anyone out there know of any reputable schools to learning transcription/editing? ...

Do These Schools Use The SUM Program?
Jan 11, 2012

I'm researching MT schools and weighing the various pros and cons. On my shortlist are two schools that use the SUM program--Andrews & MTEC--and two "schools" that I can't get confirmation on--CareerStep and Ed2Go. Any insights on the latter? Thanks! ...

Licensed Schools
Aug 10, 2012

I learned from someone who found out the hard way that it's important to make sure whatever school you go to is licensed by their state. The information is supposed to be displayed on their website and any other catalogs or ads. If not, there may be a problem. The school in question would tell everyone their state didn't require a license. It turned out that the school kept moving not only from state to state, but from country to country and the state they had been living in did requir ...

Penn Foster Schools
Jan 04, 2010

I am currently finishing my schooling from Penn Foster and I guess I didn't do enough research before I signed up for Penn Foster and now I'm regretting it. Ever since I've been hearing all the negative comments about Penn Foster I don't even want to finish the course even though I am on the last lesson. Just getting discouraged and want to know if anyone took Penn Foster courses and found a job. Totally new on this whole MT thing and if you have any information about getting ...

Connection Between Companies/MT Schools?
Feb 07, 2010

Have to admit I'm pretty shocked by several of the posts on this forum, especially concerning how the companies are operating.  New to the MT world here, and guess I'm green.  Hadn't heard much at the school I attended except this forum was "too negative."  I now see there's a legit reason for negative posts about companies if these posters are being honest, and I have no reason to believe they're not. Just wondering how tight a connection the MT schools ...

Schools Employers Recommend
May 04, 2010

To apply for a job as a Medical Language Specialist employers prefer that your training was acquired from Career Step, Penn Foster, The Andrews School and others.  I acquired my training from Professional Career Development Institute, The School of Medical Transcription.  Did anyone find a job after graduating from this institute?  ...

Good Online Schools
Oct 12, 2011

Are there any schools/courses that I could take online for coding that would enable me to pass the CCS and CPC exams? ...

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

MT Schools Promising Big Bucks
Feb 25, 2012

First, don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be negative about this in any way and wish any new MT success. However, with this profession dying like it is and even very experienced MTs just trying to eke out even $10 an hour . . . It really aggravates me all of these MT schools and courses trying to suck innocent people in with their high tuition costs, etc. The fact is that nowadays it is akin to going and paying x amount of money to go work for $10 or less an hour. These schools/c ...

Are There Any Schools Or Training Centers That Will
Mar 17, 2012

I've been an MT for 35 years.  I'm in my 60s.  Every non-MT job ad I read has "mandatory" skills I don't have.  I don't want a job where I'm on my feet 8 hours a day.  I have no money for school.  I could only manage a few hours per week in class.  Any ideas, anyone? ...