A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Education - Just me

Posted: Apr 13, 2011

Please help! I just completed an online MT course a month ago. While I was in the program, they added a couple classes, and in the process removed some of the course content from the class I was in. I now have to take the additional 2 classes (at an added expense) in order to "complete" their program. Their program was full of errors, and I was constantly contacting the school to correct THEIR answers! Needless to say, the level of education I received is not sufficient to gain employment, even after achieving "high honors". Rather than give that school any more of my money for an inferior education, I am looking at other options. I am seriously considering starting all over at square one and have been looking around at other schools. I am thinking of going with Career Step. Does anyone out there have experience with them? (i.e. quality of education, employability after graduation, etc) I am open for any and all suggestions at this point. I NEED to get working soon. I am a  currently unemployed, single mom of a little boy who is depending on me to keep a roof over his head. I have almost completely exhausted my resources.

What school was it? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Education - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I was trying to be nice and not say...but they weren't "nice" to me. It was Allied. A huge waste of my time and money.

Just me - Retired MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not believe that Allied will provide the kind of education you/anybody needs to succeed in today's MT environment. You need to get a really solid MT education. If your course material contained errors, ask for your money back! These "schools" get away with this because people sit back and take it. You paid good money and you deserve a good education.

Just me - Julia

[ In Reply To ..]
I would recommend Andrews or M-TEC. IMHO, it is important that a program use the SUM program, and that you have live instructors. Just remember to carefully check out any school before enrolling. There are a lot of fly by nights out there that are, in reality, little more than matchbooks. Good luck to you.

Education - Deb

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel bad for you, I raised 2 kids by myself usually working 3 jobs at a time. I am almost done with my education at Andrews and feel that I won't have a problem finding a job. They use the SUM program and have real instructors. They also have an affordable payment plan. And I would try to get at least some money back from Allied. Good luck to you

If you ever... - Allied "Grad" Too

[ In Reply To ..]
If you ever decide to pursue a refund I'd love to know what their response is. I received my so-called education from them, too.

After applying at more than 50 companies I was finally offered a job in a different field by a friend. I took it and am not looking back at the MT thing. If I did, I'd go straight to Andrews. I've posted here before. I'm sure the Old Pro and others recognize my posts.

Funny, I knew you were talking about Allied by simply reading your post.

Also, I just saw on Allied's FB page that they are offering a 20% discount on their MT and real estate programs. Imagine that, get a discount on 2 dead fields right now.

Sorry, I hope this isn't too negative. The positive I have for you is that I sincerely hope you get your money back and pursue your eduction to a successful end.

Contact me if you need support re Allied. Best wishes.
Allied "grad" too - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I really feel sorry for all of you folks. I just hope that people reading this will stop and consider how important it is to evaluate a "school" BEFORE plunking down your hard-earned cash. Think of it this way--does any "school" that advertises in women's magazines and offers training in everything from real estate to MT to private investigation to floral arranging to interior design sound like they are dedicated to success at any one thing? As my daddy used to say, "Jack of all trades, master of none." And that is what these "schools" are. They are preying upon women (many times poor single mothers). They are like vultures. And that makes me mad. I really hope people who are thinking of signing up with ANY school will take some time and do some pro-active research. Call any company you would like to work for, call any MTSO and ask them if they are comfortable hiring grades from the XYZ School. How have their grads fared in the past? What does the MTSO think of their quality? Many MTSOs are happy to help people who are getting a start. (After all, MTSOs do not want shoddily trained staff--they want workers who have trained with SUM and who know their stuff.) I would like to see all of you call Allied on the carpet. Is the "school" accredited by any legitimate accrediting body?
Thanks - Allied "Grad" Too
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, I didn't know what I didn't know at the time. I found this helpful site after I was already attending Allied.

Allied is an AHDI-approved school, which I thought was important at the time and now I know to be meaningless. Other than that, I can't remember regarding accreditation. I doubt it.

I got a hilarious email from Allied the other day saying that I can transfer my "college credits" to Allied's university. Aren't I lucky?

I post on here, as I'm sure you do too, Old Pro, to try and help others not to waste time and money on this school or others that don't have a thing to offer their grads.
Allied "Grad" too - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I do try to help people. It really makes me mad when Allied and other schools do this. As to AHDI, I have long considered a worthless organization--actually WORSE than worthless--because its "approval" lends legitimacy to "schools" like Allied.....Just a thought, but perhaps if people contacted the State Department of Education of whatever state they are in and filed a complaint--if these people are passing themselves off as being a "university," I would love to see their credentials? Who accredits them? In California, it is done by WASC, but there are similar accrediting bodies throughout the US. I bet they accredit themselves. Again, I just feel sorry for everyone involved.
"Accreditation" just means they can get federal money - It has nothing to do with quality of education
[ In Reply To ..]
If a school wants to collect money from the federal government through Pell or Guaranteed Student Loan Programs, they have to prove that they have the ability to accept that money and have the ability to stay in business. The Approval process through AHDI is supposed to check for quality of education, at least that's what I thought. It's definitely more important than the accreditation status, but neither one is as important as a state registration or license, which means they have to obey their state laws and there is consumer (student) protection.
More specifically, are they licensed or registered in their state? - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
Any school must follow the rules set by the state they operate out of. That usually means being registered or licensed by the state. That means there are instructor qualifications, refund policies, and they have to provide the education they described in their catalog and the contract you signed with them. They can't force you to do more than you agreed to do. Where (what state) is your school?
More defense tactics against these "schools" - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I have in the past advised people who got involved with quasi-matchbook schools to file a letter of complaint with the Fraud Division of the Attorney General both in the state in which you reside and the state out of which the "school" does business. Also contact the Departments of Education in both states. These actions are free and are much less money than private legal counsel, which is also an option. Sometimes spending $500 is worth it if it save you even more. But try the above on your own and see what happens. You might be surprised. Also, contact the BBB and file a complaint. While the BBB has no legal teeth, it might alert others and also provide you with information as to whether others have similar complaints. Good luck!
BBB - angel456
[ In Reply To ..]
I heard that even irreputable companies pay BBB for a higher grade, my daughter heard this on either ABC or NBC news. So what can I expect if I file a letter ocomplaint to the Fraud division in my state and the state the school is in, and contact depatment of education in both states? Do they investigate the school and close it down or do they change their curriculum? just wondering
What they will do - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
If they believe your claim is legitimate, they will check what the contract you signed said and if it matches with what the school provided in the way of education. In other words, they will want to know that the school did what they contracted to do and that you did what you contracted to do.

If they investigate and find that the school guaranteed placement, just for an example for this discussion because I don't know if any schools do that or not, and you did not find a job, they might work to find a reasonable settlement between you and the school. That's their goal. If they find a significant problem, BBB has no authority to close a school. They can lower the rating.

The state agency that registers or licenses schools in your state does have the ability to take away the license or registration that allows a school to operate. They would investigate and work to resolve any problems. They want to know that the school is doing what they contracted to do and that it is following the rules that the state has in place.

If the school receives federal monies such as Pell or Guaranteed Student Loans, the Department of Education can withhold funds from them and/or ask for all of their monies back, which basically shuts down a school that depends on those monies. Again, they will only do that if it can be proven that the school has not lived up to its obligations. Schools get very nervous about losing federal funds. The problem is, the Department of Education usually is more interested in the financial situation a school is in, whether they billed the student properly. For example, if they billed for days when the student wasn't in attendance, they would get involved. They really don't have much to say about the quality of education. That's why you see so many "accredited" schools that are big and successful, but students don't necessarily get a good education leading to jobs. They are trying to change that, but right now, that's the way it stands.
Did not know about that - angel456
[ In Reply To ..]
thanks for the message, I would love to address that to my school but I don't want to get derailed from what is important to me now.....but boy that would be great, one less worthless school out there
angel - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Angela, I am not sure what state you are in and I can speak only about California, but I know that in California the AG investigates and takes proper legal action. I actually saw the California Department of Education close a school (not a transcription school but another online school) once. If they have materially misrepresented what you would get for your tuition, they may order them to give you a refund. Another thing to do that may or may not (depending on the state you are in and the state they are in) is to contact the Department of Education in both states. I know that in California at least, the Dpt. of Ed. really has teeth like a pit bull and can and will go after schools that are not living up to what they say they will do, or that are making misrepresentations to students. I don't know if this helps you much, just wanted you to know that I have really seen them sink their teeth into somebody that was cheating students, so I know it can happen. Another route would be to have a privae attorney send them a letter. I know that attorneys do cost money, but if you spent a considerable sum, and could get it back, a small fee to an attorney might help. (It's amazing what a letter that says "attorney at law" on it will do sometimes.) Some bar associations (again, this is in California but I am sure there are such programs elsewhere) actually have a "bar evening" once a month where people can come and get legal advice for free. Or you might try law schools near you and see if they have any volunteer programs. Sometimes people getting ready to take the bar have clinics where they help people in the community. Good luck.
I'll look into that - angel456
[ In Reply To ..]
I am in New Mexico and with Penn Foster the majority of the work was doing exams and research papers. The last block of the curriculum was transcription. It was practiced audio tapes at best. I turned in I think a few reports and that was the end of the course. I did not feel that I was truly educated and prepared for the MT field.
Angela
Re: Penn Foster - Angela - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
In what state is Penn Foster's home office located? You know, the more I think about this, it is happening to many people--to SMART people. The deficiency is not with the students; it is with the school. I have a feeling that for PF (and for several other schools that are discussed on here, too), there is a cloud of dissatisfaction forming--made up of a whole lot of people who have been shortchanged through no fault of their own. The snowball is getting ready to roll downhill on these schools. Maybe this sounds like a hokey California thing, but I do believe in karma (or whatever people want to call it), and I do think that all of this will be addressed some way, some how. Maybe even some day, a class action will take place. Right now, Andrews is your focus (as it should be), but there are lots of others in your same position, and I cannot help feeling that these schools cannot continue on blithely doing business as they are doing it now. One of these days what they are doing is going to come back to bite them in the, um, ankle. We shall see.....
I agree - angel456
[ In Reply To ..]
They are based in Pennsylvania. You are right, maybe nothing can be done about it now, but what comes around definitely goes around. Although I wish more people knew about PF before they buy into it.
It just isn't fair for the new students just entering PF. They think they are getting an education that will get them a job right out of school, but they should be warned. I wish I could do something about it.
Angela
California. - Allied "Grad" Too
[ In Reply To ..]
Lots of laws here! :)
Allied "Grad" too - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
You betcha. It made being a business owner really challenging.
Allied - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought I had done pretty thorough research before deciding on Allied. Unfortunately, finances played a big role in my decision. I know now why I didn't see anything negative about Allied at the time I enrolled...they were so new they had no grads working yet. Sure portrayed themselves differently. They offered to comp the advanced class if I would pay for the externship up front. Hello! If I already know how poor their education is, why would I pay for more of it?! Especially since it was just added a few months ago and is probably full of mistakes. I spent a good deal of time in beginning and advanced contacting the school to point out their MANY errors.

Deb - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel bad for her, too. I think Allied should have a kick in the pants. Just as an aside, I know a lot of MTSOs, and they all say they would never hesitate to hire an Andrews grad. You know they will get the job done!

Education- Just me - Carly

[ In Reply To ..]
I just graduated from TRSi Institute.
They have an externship which I am just waiting to start.To be elegible for the externship there is a production test at the end and you have to get 76 lph and 95%. I think a course with an externship is pretty important to get that job experience. This course uses the SUM program and also has a short SR editing course the last semester. While I have been waiting to start I have applied to several companies and they won't consider me because I am new. i tested high with medquist and they asked for a resume and then when they saw I was a new grad they told me they weren't setup for hiring new grads. Very frustrating so I know how you feel. Not very smart for these companies because I believe there will be a shortage of trained MTs in the future if they all find different careers because of constant doors slamming. Good luck to you and TRS was good. Helpful instructors and a lot of live webinars.

Many of them do hire right out of schools, but it depends on the school - and they usually dont advertise that fact

[ In Reply To ..]
There's nothing wrong with an externship if you have no other options. Plenty of companies do hire graduates right out of school, without externships. You might check with your school and see if they can steer you toward some of those that work with your particular school.

Carly - MrsJ

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, honey, please don't subject yourself to MedQuist. No one deserves that. Keep on trying and I am sure you will find someone out there to give you a chance. Your background sounds good. Good luck!

That's strange because I know they hire new grads from at least 1 school - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They are always contacting our school with openings for new graduates. Maybe you got someone who didn't know that they actually do hire new graduates.

Education-Just me - Carly

[ In Reply To ..]
I know they were on my recommended school list for new graduates too, but honestly I was sent my results after I did their test, and told I did well 98% and asked to send in a resume. After they got my resume I was told they cannot hire new grads at this time. That's okay I'll do the externship and maybe get job placement from there. Every transcription company so far seems to want people with 2 years experience. It would be nice just to find a doctor that had some work to start and get experience. Anyhow that's okay I'm not going to give up. I'll be writing my RMT soon. Good luck to everyone.
You shouldn't be having that much trouble - see mesage
[ In Reply To ..]
You probably need to talk to your school and see if there is something you're doing wrong or not doing. Your school probably has a person who helps with job placement if you need help. There's usually, at least in my case, a list of places that normally hire graduates of the particular school. If you've tried all of those places and still haven't found work, definitely talk to the school and see if they can help spot the problem. It doesn't have to be that hard.
$$$ for job placement assistance - Cinbad
[ In Reply To ..]
Allied wants $900 to assist you in finding a job.
Cinbad - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
If they had a gun in their hand, you would call it extortion.
Carly - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, there is no one at the school who helps with job placement. They do have "Career Pathways" which is basically a list of about 300 businesses that do medical or general transcription. At least 1/2 of them are no longer valid sites, others require 2-10 years experience, and MANY of them are scams, wanting you to PAY in order to work for them for free under the guise of "mentorship". I have talked to the school on numerous occasions. Their solution: Pay us more money for more (inferior) classes. No thanks! Now, they won't even return my calls.
Carly - just me - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I just get red hot mad when I see how these "schools" (matchbooks?) are treating people who enroll. That is why it is so important to check out any school BEFORE enrollment.
To Old Pro - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
At the time I enrolled I didn't find anything negative about them (they hadn't been around long enough for anyone to graduate yet). I didn't know that at the time. Also, didn't really know what to look for or where to look. Wish I had found this site sooner.

Similar Messages:

Bad Education
Mar 03, 2014

I went to school to be a medical coder. After I started the program I found out it was basically self taught. I completed it with a 3.8 gap. They didn't poo offer certification testing. It's been 3 years and I  still unemployed and not certified. What do I do? ...

Education Confusion!
May 09, 2010

So I am looking into making the switch from MT to coder.  The AHIMA program says it takes 15 months to complete and then you can sit for the CCA exam.  The AAPC program says you must complete it in 4 months and you can sit for CPC or CPC-H.  Wouldn't the latter be better?  I've been reading that CCA is pretty much worthless.  So, why would CCA take 15 months and CPC take 4 months?  Also, every job I've seen for a coder requires experience.  How c ...

Getting A Podiatry Education
Aug 21, 2010

I need help again (please)   "no evidence of any ulcer (sounds like quemous) to the foot". Patient is a diabetic but no signs of of ischemia.  Any ideas?    For some reaon I am learning a lot this week. ...

Just Getting Started... Education??
Jun 17, 2011

Hello All! I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options. I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings ...

Education On $1,000.00 Budget.
Jul 15, 2011

I may be able to raise one thousand dollars in a few months time. Are there any worthwhile schools online that I can enroll in for MT? Which are the best within the budget limit? Which do you suggest? ...

Education Assistance
May 30, 2013

I am looking to go back to school to train in accounting. I thought I had seen in the past people talking about some education assistance we would be eligible for since work was going overseas (or something along those lines). Does anybody know where to get more information on this? Thanks! ...

Education Question
Oct 26, 2013

I thought that I read on here a little while ago where someone said that if you have a bachelor's degree you can take a certificate course or something to sit for the RHIA?  I have a bachelor's degree in business and I'm interested in this, if it is something that really exists.  Anyone know what I'm talking about? ...

This Little Education And Experience
Nov 16, 2014

I realize people use creative license on their linkedin pages, not everyone, but a lot of people, and it can be deceptive and/or outight lies.  But this?  Really?   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/h-lea-cope/47/935/290?trk=pub-pbmap ...

Lol...ad To Become An MT Instructor And They Will Provide You With A MT Education
Jun 24, 2010

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas) Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Part time instructor position Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee. About Med Workshops Med Workshops ...

Coding Education Timing
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking for some feedback/advice on pursuing medical coding education.  I'm 53 and will be retiring from my current government position in about 3 years - about the time the ICD-10 will be in full implementation. (On the side, I work part-time as a medical transcriptionist.) I was advised to hold off on taking a medical coding course for a couple of years due to the fact I would be learning from the current ICD-9 and then have to have retraining later in the ICD ...

Continuing Education Webinar
Oct 08, 2012

I am just wondering if anybody finds the continuing education webinars helpful.  This month is on productivity...wondering if anybody thought it was helpful/worth the time. ...

Continuing Education/Certifying
Mar 18, 2013

I have been working as a Medical Assistant for about 12 yrs.  I want to make myself more marketable, expand my education, and get certified in this area.  I'm considering using Career Steps because they are the only one I found that offers an Editing program along with the MT certification.  I feel that will open my realm of qualifications.  Their tuition is between $2600 and $2700 and can be completed in about four months. Is that a reasonable tuition/timeframe? Any i ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Coding Schools/education
Mar 26, 2014

I think it would be very helpful for many people if some of the more senior coding people on this forum could advise on what new coders should look for in a school or training program.  I'm not looking for specific names, but rather that you should make sure your school teaches A, B and C.  Things you want to avoid are X, Y and Z.    Personally, my first school would probably have done the trick (a community college) if not for the fact that they only off ...

Continuing Education Training?
Apr 02, 2015

for what?  To add to our knowledge base that is so valued that we are paid minimum wage?  to keep our skills honed so we are the best that we can be until you don't need us anymore?  how about some training that might be useful to us?  For instance, training for non-MT careers?     ...

L S (Lynn Schoeler) Coding And Education
Nov 14, 2010

I know, I have posted a lot here in the last few weeks... but I need to get started.  I have decided to focus on the outpatient coding.  I have thought of enrolling in Andrews, but I have been an MT for over 10 years now and I do not need the anatomy classes, etc.  I have always worked on the clinic side during my MT career.  I feel in my coding career I would like to do the same, preferably for an orthopedic office.  I feel that training on just this side (and having ...

Continuing Education Tax Credit For Andrews?
Dec 28, 2010

Anyone know if you can get the tax credit?  I asked the school and they were not sure.  They don't participate in federal financial assistance programs.  Anyone know?  Thanks. ...

Would Love Feedback On Training/Education - What Would You Want To Know?
Aug 10, 2011

Hello Everyone!  I'm a QC at a large MTSO and have recently been approached to do more on the education/training front.  I realize that in these times of pay by production, not everyone wants to get a ton of useless information that takes their time to read and/or toss.  I have a nursing background and feel that I would like to focus on the medical aspect especially, perhaps clearing up some confusion identified on quality assurance reviews as far as medical procedures/termin ...

Extra Coding Education Question
Aug 24, 2012

I completed an associate's degree last winter and got my RHIT credentials.  I have applied for a couple local coding jobs, which I did not get.  They both had a coding test I had to take and pass before they would interview me.  I failed both of these tests miserably.  It was embarrassing.  One lady who was the HIM manager asked me if my program even taught me how to code!  Yes, I have my RHIT, but I don't really know how to code!  I know the basics, ...

AHIMA Education Requirements Question - Help!
Mar 15, 2015

I began at Andrews a while back in the CCS ICD-9 studies and had to delay school due to some unforeseen personal issues.  I am now reinstated and in the final module of ICD-9 but am wondering what will happen if I am unable to finish up and test (and pass) before the probable ICD-10 implementation in October.  Will AHIMA still honor my certificate with Andrews as the necessary education requirement or will it have to specifically be for ICD-10?  I know it will be up to me to study ...

Career And Education Advice For Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2009

Hello, I am looking for advice from some of the seasoned MT's and those who have been in the field for about a year now.   I am looking into medical transcription; initially for part-time supplemental income and down-the-road as a full-time career.   Here are the questions that I have: Which schools, particularly online courses, are well known for developing successful MT's; more specifically which programs are good at helping their graduates land jobs? For someone who ...

Advise About Where To Look For Educational Grants For Medical Coding Education
Mar 04, 2013

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to attend medical coding school, The Andrew's School, is the school I want to attend.  I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions about education grants that I can look into.  I would like some information.  Thank you in advance. Fondly, Suzie ...

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes! Last Night I Mentioned The Coding Education Offer To My Husband, Sm
Mar 11, 2014

and my teenage son, who has witnessed many meltdowns that I have had working for MM, was in earshot and simply said, Mom, wouldn't that be like marrying an abusive boyfriend?  His analogy was right on if you ask me! I have been sending out resumes, actively looking for another job and when I saw this I thought that it sounds great and is a very generous offer but in the end you will still be working for Mmodal who expects everything and gives nothing in return.  I am her ...

What "off-line" Education Do You Pursue?
Jun 07, 2012

There are many free medical educational resources available online these days, like UWTV's "mini-medical school", and I try to watch 1 or 2 presentations a week.  It's been very helpful to me in a couple of ways: 1.  Explanations about things (for instance, procedures or diagnostics) that I've transcribed but didn't really understand. 2.  Keeping up with new developments (treatments, protocols, etc.) that I might not have run into when I watch the presentatio ...