A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Severely frusterated new grad - jknewmt

Posted: Sep 07, 2010

I have been a new grad since July 2010 and have been actively looking for employment since May 2010. Everytime I see a posting for a job that requires 2, 3, 6, 7 years experience, I just want to scream. If there is such a need for experienced MT's, then why don't some of these companies train a new MT??? Train a fresh brain, shape them to work for your company? I have several friends who were considering a career as a MT but have already advised them to never do it. I am starting to wonder what I went to college for? I have called soooo many places, apply (on average) for over 40 jobs a day, sent out 100+ resumes, and I get nothing but rejection. I have even offered to volunteer my time but get turned down. I am at a complete loss. What else can a new grad do???

Clinic work - VetMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT 41 years. I have seen countless new grads believing they were professionals prepared to take acute care by the tail, only to find they couldn't do it. MTSOs are fully aware of this. To be a good acute care MT *who can actually make a living at it* requires an apprenticeship of sorts, either in a clinic or doctors' offices or in an MTSO that hires new grads for clinic work. A family practitioner covers a wide range of services and would be a great apprenticeship. Some new grads from the 70s are so happy with their original specialty office jobs, they are still there and making more money than I am in QA at this stage of my career. They might be better off, given the pay reductions and layoffs and various other dirty tricks MTSOs have done to worthy MTs in the name of the almighty buck.

I agree with above poster. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been MTing for 35 years. I do not believe one can "graduate" and be ready for acute care and not be closely mentored. IMO, in-hospital is the best. Even if you think you may not get to use your knowledge in a given speciality, take the job if you can get it in a local doctor's office, clinic or hospital. Talk to family and friends, ask them to put in a word for you at their physician's office. The doors will open for you then down the road. However, these on-line companies do not have time or personnel to mentor properly. The QA people (who fill in blanks, check format etc) generally work on production. They don't have time to mess with new people. And I might add, as you come along in this MT world, verify, verify, no matter who tells you. Well-meaning people can be wrong. Look it up. Take the time, lay the good foundation, and the speed will come later. Again, I do not believe you can be productive enough and making money enough to survive, as a new person in an on-line job. And if you were to land one, chances are you'd be so frustrated you'd be inclined to quit and/or would be making many errors that would go uncorrected and become bad habits. Hoping the best for you.

I blame these so called MT schools that profess to promise you jobs - lindawordlady

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an MT since the late 1970s. I actually went to school to become a medical assistant but never pursued that. I was always curious about all things medicaly, probably because I was married to a wonderful man who had lots of medical problems and lost his life at a young age. So, I was quick to learn and very driven, because I knew it was something I was looking for. I am sure you have heard it here before if you have read any of the posts from others, that those days are gone. I was fortunate enough to work at a hospital and the night supervisor took me under her wing and gave me tons of help and encouragement. Even so, it still took me a few years until I was very comfortable doing the work of an MT. In the beginning (even with knowing medical terminology, anatomy and physiology and the like), I was continually looking up words that I had never heard of before. Now, it is second nature to me. Many times I almost threw in the towel and was so frustrated because even though I knew I had a brain upstairs, I felt really stupid for a long time with continually asking questions. Luckily, I had a couple of pretty good supervisors and some NOT so nice. Today after 35 years I feel so comfortable with this and all ESLs. The sad part is that will all this knowledge, the pay is absolutely terrible. I am now making what I made in 1994.... yes, 16 years ago.

I blame these schools that continue to promise such a great career when it is truly a dying career. But, if this is something you really want and are willing to work hard for it, with perservance, I am hoping that you can find something somewhere. I have seen some companies asking for MTs with little or no experience on another web site, which I hesitate to name here because of conflict of interest. But, do not give up if you truly want to do this. Also, cut yourself some slack... you know the economy is bad for all jobs, not just for MTs. Feel free to e-mail me if I can lift you up in any way. Good luck kiddo!!

Schools - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you give us the names of the "so called MT schools that profess to promise you jobs" so that people know which schools to avoid?

Schools - doppelganger

[ In Reply To ..]
I still maintain that any school that does not use the SUM program really shortchanges its students. As to these programs that advertise in the women's magazines, well......a step up above the matchbooks. It really IS necessary to investigate schools thoroughly BEFORE signing up. Beware of any school that "promises" you a job. They cannot do that. Call a company you would like to work for and ask their HR department what they think of the school you are considering. You would be surprised what HR really thinks about some of the matchbooks. It breaks my heart that so many young people and young single mothers are getting taken in.

Schools - Susan

[ In Reply To ..]
Beware of anybody who tells you they have jobs available upon graduation. As you can see, there's barely enough to keep the experienced MT's going much less new MT's. Might be good to have a fall back as this industry is going downhill fast!

new grad - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Try SoftScript.

Frustration - Be patient

[ In Reply To ..]
First, congrats on graduation.

Second, in this economy, it is not unusual for it to take 6 months or longer for new graduates (in any profession) to find a job.

Third, as already stated, you need to crawl sometimes before you can walk. The likelihood is when you do get hired, you will be alone in your home with no extra "ear" and still feeling frustrated.

I'd recommend you make up a flyer and stop in (bring cookies!) to every doctor office, clinic, surgery center, etc in your area. (Don't forget physical therapy offices too!)

If you can get an in-house position, you'd have a better chance of also being given the benefit of additional training help.

Keep trying!

What school did you graduate from? - Summertime01

[ In Reply To ..]
What school did you graduate from? I am looking into enrolling.

Not ready for acute care - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to agree that very few new MTs are ready for acute care jobs fresh out of school, regardless of the school. I was hired as soon as I finished my program (community college, by the way) and was lucky to land a hospital job as my first job. Back then, my co-workers were willing to help me, but I did things over and over until I got it right. No one has that kind of time any more, but there was no substitute for that experience and it allowed me to work in a lot of different MT jobs. I can say firsthand that there is nothing wrong with a community college education. Anyone who thinks the schools are supposed to "care" when they are dealing with hundreds of students needs to wake up and smell the coffee. This is not grammar school, this is the world of work. Your employer probably will not "care" either, except that you show up when you are supposed to and do your job. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.

Your message made me very sad. I hope not everyone has the attitude that nobody cares - I disagree with you

[ In Reply To ..]
My experience shows the opposite. I wish for you better experiences, with people who do care. They still do exist.

I would like to politely disagree - Former MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I must politely disagree with the statement that "few new MTs are ready for acute care jobs fresh out of school, regardless of school." I have never met an Andrews grad who was not ready to hit the ground running. And no, I am not now, nor have I ever been, associated with Andrews in any way except to admire its grads.

Same problem - Tara

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not giving up and you should not either. There is one person in particular who graduated with me (a community college) and she is giving up already on finding a MT job. I am not giving up so easily. I must have been applying to so many companies already. Yes, I do want to throw in the towel, but I know I will find something eventually.

I did my internship at DIT Transcription and was thrilled when they offered to hire me on as an independent contractor. I took the job at first, but never got started after hearing all of the horror stories about their company not paying employees. Thank goodness my professor said something.

There is a company that someone I talk to on Twitter told me to try. She is an MT. She has done it for 10 years I think she said. The company she told me to try is RI Transcription. I looked at the BBB and they have an A+ rating.

I took the transcription test awhile ago and passed. I am waiting to hear about the editing part of the test, but have not heard back if I passed or not. It is extremely frustrating waiting. Seems like I have forever. Just keep plugging. I am.

That's typical for most community colleges, unfortunately - Good luck with your job search!

[ In Reply To ..]
Community colleges usually put all of their attention, money, and resources on a certain few courses that are their bread and butter. If you aren't interested in whatever is their course-of-the-decade, you just feel like they don't care, because they don't.

Similar Messages:

MQ Has To SEVERELY Cut Employee-related Costs And
Mar 22, 2010

There are severe legal ramifications if you put in writing that you agree to this cost cutting/salary control maneuvering by MQ.  Essentially they are getting us to let them off the hook with these "ESSAYS."  Please note on the email it states:  "All entries become the property of MQ and may be used in future communications."  Also, not to be outdone by their own salary slashing FTR program, they have also taken more time/money away from us as these are to be done on OUR O ...

Editing VR In BeyondTxt Has Made Me Severely Depressed.
May 02, 2010

I have never felt more worthless in my life.  I work for about half the pay, it takes longer to do because the drafts are so awful.  You get marked down if you don't use shortcut keys to navigate or whatever and the object is to keep you fingers on the keyboard, but you cannot keep them in the position you need to for transcribing or fixing all the problems.   I find my right hand is always on the control+delete key or end key, and my fingers constantly on the period or ...

Recent MT Grad.
Oct 26, 2009

I am a recent grad of Allied Medical School's MT program. I am signed up for an AIM internship. I am wondering about the long wait to get started working. I am a Registered Dental Hygienist for 20 years, and my education in this field completely prepared me for the "real" world of work right after passing the Boards.   I am very disgruntled about my on-line MT training and now, seemingly, non-existent internship.   Advise and stories appreciated.   From Vermont, ...

Advice For New Grad
Feb 16, 2010

Hello Everybody!  I'm a new grad looking for input on where to begin to find a work-from-home position as an MT.  I'm interested in Radiology or physician group practice work.  I've been a secretary for 23 years including 10 years of psych transcription, but am new to the medical transcription field.  Any advice is much appreciated.  ...

Any Advice For A New Grad?
Jun 01, 2010

I just graduated from the At-Home Professions Medical Transcription course and would like to work from home. Looking at job listings it's hard to know which compmanies listed are reputable.  Also hard to know if there's any hope for me to be hired by a transcription service right out of ther gate.  Any advice or words of wisdom?  Thanks! ...

MT Grad W/SUM Program Eight Yrs Ago
Aug 11, 2010

Eiight years ago I took a transcription course through a local school that offered the SUM program.  It was intensive training for nine months and earned a certificate for completing the program.  I went to work for a local hospital and transcribed doctor's dictation; which included ER, radiology, psych, and scope reports.  Plus various reports that came accross overnight, I worked the 3-11 pm shift.  I did this for eleven months, until the hurricains hit Florida and fo ...

New Grad...Needs Work
Nov 08, 2010

I just graduated with an A in every class of my Associates in Applied Science in Medical Transcription. I keep hitting brick walls with the experience thing, as I am sure many of you have. Do you guys have any suggestions as to who may hire me???? I hate spending so much time on these websites for them just to send me some garbage about going to school for MT, which I have done already...Just looking for a jumpstart!!! Any suggestions? ...

New Grad MT W/ IC Questions
Jul 16, 2011

Hello, MTs! I recently graduated in June with high honors (3.90 GPA) from EvCC's MT program. I just started to look for employment, but I am having a difficult time finding a company who will take a chance with me. I knew how hard it was going to be prior to school, but I didn't think it would be this hard. I worked my hardest thinking I might have a higher chance if I graduated with a high GPA. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case for me. I have applied to 6 companies sin ...

Can A New Grad Pass The CCS, CPC? I Just Did
Jan 08, 2012

Someone just asked, so I'll answer.  Yes, it is very possible.  I graduated 1 1/2 years ago from Andrews School but then waited to take the exams (personal reasons). I just started back on track to get the credentials.  I passed the CPC this fall and passed the CCS this week.   Even with the long delay between the end of school and my credentialing exams, I passed both on the first try. I have NOT worked a single day as a coder.  I am ...

Frusturated New Grad
Jun 11, 2012

I am a recent graduate with my medical transcription certificate and most of the job openings I have been looking at require at least a years experience and ask for "newbies" to not apply. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get my foot in the door to a medical transcription job? ...

Recent Grad Seeking Job
Jan 12, 2010

I just finished my MT course, have been looking for a job, but without experience no one wants to hire me.  Where do I get the experience?  Is there any tutor/student jobs available so that I can get the experience and use the skills I just learned?  I have Express Scribe, my own foot pedal and medical dictionary and other sources at my fingertips!  I am ready to work and need a job by the end of the month.  ...

Strategies In Job Searching For A New MT Grad
Feb 20, 2011

Does anyone have any strateges for job searching as  new MT grad?  I am willing to do general transcription work. ...

Thanks Recent Coding Grad
May 27, 2014

Got your email just wanted to let you know.  Thanks for the resources and the support! ...

Former Andrews Grad Looking For Advice...
May 22, 2015

Hello All!  I need some advice from the experienced coders out there.  Roughly 3 years ago, I graduated Andrews successfully (by a miracle)! During the course of my schooling, I had several life events which happened and I just tried to get through school as best as I could.  I was so stressed out by the time I finsihed due to working, taking care of an ill family member and having 2 special needs children, I never got around to taking my certification exams.   Things have s ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - Hard To Get A Job
Aug 26, 2010

It is so hard to get a job being a new grad who hires new grad anybody now? ...

New Grad Lists 40 Cpl On Resume Bank?
Feb 16, 2012

I just saw a listing in the resume bank for a new grad wanting 40 cpl. Wow. I want that too, and I have 15 years of experience and my own accounts... ...

New Grad/Exc Work Ethic/ Needs Help/ Just Can't Get My Foot In The Door!
Oct 23, 2009

I need some help. I just recently graduated from an accredited school. They were supposed to have a  2 year apprenticeship program set up and ready to go when I graduated. It fell through. My instructors have told me there is no reason I can't find a job. I am also a licensed veterinary technician. I have years of medical experience and I breezed through my college courses. I have applied to over 200 jobs and nothing yet. My previous employer references praise me and wish I would have ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - I Worked Hard ....
Aug 13, 2010

I am a recent graduate from medical transcription school. Yeah, I know, big whoop. Actually it was for me, since I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen. Why did I do this? Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time and, like anyone else who has never tried it, I tought medical transcription would be a lot easier than it is. My I'm-So-Excited Factor: I have no stars in my eyes. I know it will be hard to find a job and if I do, I won't make much until I get a lot bett ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - Company That Will Hire With No Experience
Jan 30, 2014

Just graduated from MT school and I am having a lot of trouble finding a company that will hire with no experience... any advice?? thanks!   Jenn ...

I'm New To The Employment Process, Being A New Grad Of Career Step. Info.?
May 05, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm new to the employment process for medical transcription &/or general transcription.  Can anyone tell me anything about a company called TTETranscription? Tnank you!  Joyce ...