A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

recent MT grad. - Diane Mortier, RDH

Posted: Oct 26, 2009

I am a recent grad of Allied Medical School's MT program.

I am signed up for an AIM internship.

I am wondering about the long wait to get started working.

I am a Registered Dental Hygienist for 20 years, and my education

in this field completely prepared me for the "real" world of work

right after passing the Boards.

I am very disgruntled about my on-line MT training and now, seemingly, non-existent

internship.

Advise and stories appreciated.

From Vermont,

Diane Mortier, RDH

Recent grad - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
My best advice would be to stick with your dental hygeinist career.

And the reason why you want to get in this field? - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you read the boards about others trying to go back to school and trying to get out of this? I would think if you did you would think about this really hard. What do you have besides training to be a dental technician? Background of any kind in transcription work?

Maybe you should look for some specialty work - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
in the dental field. I have done some reports for dentists, and you may have an advantage with your background. Have you done any testing? I've heard some companies will hire you if you do well enough on the test regardless of your experience. By the way, the last sentence of your post should read "Advice" and not "Advise" because advice is a noun and advise is a verb. You may have just made a typo, but since you are looking for a job, I though I should point it out.

recent MT grad. - Diane Mortier, RDH - Nancy

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated from At-Home Professions in September of this year and am still looking for my first position also.

I think if we keep trying the doors will open up and someone crediable will give us a chance.

Similar Messages:

Advice For New Grad
Feb 16, 2010

Hello Everybody!  I'm a new grad looking for input on where to begin to find a work-from-home position as an MT.  I'm interested in Radiology or physician group practice work.  I've been a secretary for 23 years including 10 years of psych transcription, but am new to the medical transcription field.  Any advice is much appreciated.  ...

Any Advice For A New Grad?
Jun 01, 2010

I just graduated from the At-Home Professions Medical Transcription course and would like to work from home. Looking at job listings it's hard to know which compmanies listed are reputable.  Also hard to know if there's any hope for me to be hired by a transcription service right out of ther gate.  Any advice or words of wisdom?  Thanks! ...

MT Grad W/SUM Program Eight Yrs Ago
Aug 11, 2010

Eiight years ago I took a transcription course through a local school that offered the SUM program.  It was intensive training for nine months and earned a certificate for completing the program.  I went to work for a local hospital and transcribed doctor's dictation; which included ER, radiology, psych, and scope reports.  Plus various reports that came accross overnight, I worked the 3-11 pm shift.  I did this for eleven months, until the hurricains hit Florida and fo ...

New Grad...Needs Work
Nov 08, 2010

I just graduated with an A in every class of my Associates in Applied Science in Medical Transcription. I keep hitting brick walls with the experience thing, as I am sure many of you have. Do you guys have any suggestions as to who may hire me???? I hate spending so much time on these websites for them just to send me some garbage about going to school for MT, which I have done already...Just looking for a jumpstart!!! Any suggestions? ...

New Grad MT W/ IC Questions
Jul 16, 2011

Hello, MTs! I recently graduated in June with high honors (3.90 GPA) from EvCC's MT program. I just started to look for employment, but I am having a difficult time finding a company who will take a chance with me. I knew how hard it was going to be prior to school, but I didn't think it would be this hard. I worked my hardest thinking I might have a higher chance if I graduated with a high GPA. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case for me. I have applied to 6 companies sin ...

Can A New Grad Pass The CCS, CPC? I Just Did
Jan 08, 2012

Someone just asked, so I'll answer.  Yes, it is very possible.  I graduated 1 1/2 years ago from Andrews School but then waited to take the exams (personal reasons). I just started back on track to get the credentials.  I passed the CPC this fall and passed the CCS this week.   Even with the long delay between the end of school and my credentialing exams, I passed both on the first try. I have NOT worked a single day as a coder.  I am ...

Frusturated New Grad
Jun 11, 2012

I am a recent graduate with my medical transcription certificate and most of the job openings I have been looking at require at least a years experience and ask for "newbies" to not apply. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get my foot in the door to a medical transcription job? ...

Recent Grad Seeking Job
Jan 12, 2010

I just finished my MT course, have been looking for a job, but without experience no one wants to hire me.  Where do I get the experience?  Is there any tutor/student jobs available so that I can get the experience and use the skills I just learned?  I have Express Scribe, my own foot pedal and medical dictionary and other sources at my fingertips!  I am ready to work and need a job by the end of the month.  ...

Severely Frusterated New Grad
Sep 07, 2010

I have been a new grad since July 2010 and have been actively looking for employment since May 2010. Everytime I see a posting for a job that requires 2, 3, 6, 7 years experience, I just want to scream. If there is such a need for experienced MT's, then why don't some of these companies train a new MT??? Train a fresh brain, shape them to work for your company? I have several friends who were considering a career as a MT but have already advised them to never do it. I am starting to wo ...

Strategies In Job Searching For A New MT Grad
Feb 20, 2011

Does anyone have any strateges for job searching as  new MT grad?  I am willing to do general transcription work. ...

Thanks Recent Coding Grad
May 27, 2014

Got your email just wanted to let you know.  Thanks for the resources and the support! ...

Former Andrews Grad Looking For Advice...
May 22, 2015

Hello All!  I need some advice from the experienced coders out there.  Roughly 3 years ago, I graduated Andrews successfully (by a miracle)! During the course of my schooling, I had several life events which happened and I just tried to get through school as best as I could.  I was so stressed out by the time I finsihed due to working, taking care of an ill family member and having 2 special needs children, I never got around to taking my certification exams.   Things have s ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - Hard To Get A Job
Aug 26, 2010

It is so hard to get a job being a new grad who hires new grad anybody now? ...

New Grad Lists 40 Cpl On Resume Bank?
Feb 16, 2012

I just saw a listing in the resume bank for a new grad wanting 40 cpl. Wow. I want that too, and I have 15 years of experience and my own accounts... ...

New Grad/Exc Work Ethic/ Needs Help/ Just Can't Get My Foot In The Door!
Oct 23, 2009

I need some help. I just recently graduated from an accredited school. They were supposed to have a  2 year apprenticeship program set up and ready to go when I graduated. It fell through. My instructors have told me there is no reason I can't find a job. I am also a licensed veterinary technician. I have years of medical experience and I breezed through my college courses. I have applied to over 200 jobs and nothing yet. My previous employer references praise me and wish I would have ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - I Worked Hard ....
Aug 13, 2010

I am a recent graduate from medical transcription school. Yeah, I know, big whoop. Actually it was for me, since I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen. Why did I do this? Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time and, like anyone else who has never tried it, I tought medical transcription would be a lot easier than it is. My I'm-So-Excited Factor: I have no stars in my eyes. I know it will be hard to find a job and if I do, I won't make much until I get a lot bett ...

New Grad Medical Transcription - Company That Will Hire With No Experience
Jan 30, 2014

Just graduated from MT school and I am having a lot of trouble finding a company that will hire with no experience... any advice?? thanks!   Jenn ...

I'm New To The Employment Process, Being A New Grad Of Career Step. Info.?
May 05, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm new to the employment process for medical transcription &/or general transcription.  Can anyone tell me anything about a company called TTETranscription? Tnank you!  Joyce ...