A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

purchasing their special computer - Hannah

Posted: Jul 26, 2010

Just hired by company that is requiring me to purchase their "specially build computer" to do the account they need done = Cost $340.  Of course, I have already have a computer because I work from home. Any Feed back on this?  I need this second job to pay bills.  Thank you for your input.

Hannah

Run, Don't Walk! - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
RUN FAST! This is a classic scam. You should never, ever be required to purchase anything from the company that hires you.

To Clarify - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
To clarify, some legit companies perhaps do sell their equipment, but if you are "forced" to purchase only theirs, then it's a scam. There is no reason on this earth that one can't just load software onto their own computer, assuming enough memory, etc.

NO,NO don;'t do it. It is built for THEIR PC, so then what? - .

[ In Reply To ..]
You decided or they decide, it is not a match, you have a PC that may not work with other systems. Silent type pulls this, I declined, I have my own equipment.

This is nothing more than an INTEREST FREE BUSINESS MONEY LOAN to them FROM YOU to purchase their business equipment.

Move on, there are other jobs, keep sensing out resumes.

Silent Type Requires Purchase? - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Silent Type REQUIRES a purchase, or do they supply it? There's a big difference. If a company wants to supply me with a computer, I don't freak out. I would just freak out if they MAKE me purchase one.

awhile back REQUIRED $500 deposit on PC, return in 6 months - .

[ In Reply To ..]
This was just a way to have their equipment purchase (by the MT, this would be an INTEREST FREE LOAN TO THEM FROM THE MT to stock their equipment for the company.

I had my own PC. So if there was felt there was no match on either side say at 2, 3 months, can't get your money back for 6 months. BAD BAD DEAL. Just a gimmick and all the pluses on their end. They all try something even down to paying for the website that stores files, so upload THEIR REPORTS to their FTP site and you pay a monthly fee. GOOD GRIEF

Sill Curious - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Still waiting for clarification to the person who said Silent Type makes you purchase their equipment. I truly want to know.

Are you an IC? If an employee, I think that it's - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
illegal for them to require an employee to purchase their specialty equipment. No way would I do it anyway...

NO WAY! If they want to LEND (not rent or sell) me a PC - and will ship it to me free, then fine. -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
But I would never shell out the bucks to BUY what is obviously a re-built, used PC that likely is only good for that company's work, and nothing else. Especially if you're just starting out? What if you buy the PC, and find out there's no work? Or that you can't make ends meet on what they pay, or the type of work they assign? Betcha they won't buy the PC back again if you want out.

Never, EVER, pay upfront for any kind of a job! I've been there and done that (paid a employment agency for job that turned out to be a scam). And don't BUY their equipment.

That is a major RED FLAG, because it's possible that's how they make their money. Not by transcription, but by selling PCs to those who think the job is legit. I wouldn't touch that one.

Hannah - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
No, no, NO! It is THEIR company, THEY are (hopefully) making a profit. Assuming that you are not a principal in the company, you should NOT be buying anything. You are their employee. Let THEM furnish any "special" computers to you. Smells like a scam to me.

Similar Messages:

Purchasing Computer After Quitting
Mar 10, 2010

Does anyone know if we can purchase our computer from the company after quitting? I know that we can keep all of the other equipment (monitor, keyboard, etc), but we have to return to the tower. Does anyone know if we can purchase it from the company? I have been looking for alternate employment, but haven't been able to find another company that will provide equipment. With computer being so expensive, I just thought I'd keep the one I have. Any input? ...

Purchasing New Laptop
Feb 02, 2011

Am desperately seeking direction as I new to purchase a new laptop and don't have a clue on what is the most reliable.  My husband, who was wise and always took care of these type purchases for me, passed away in October, and this is just one of a gazillion things I have to learn on my own now.  Anyway, I currently have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 98 that is about 4 years old but it is just not acting right lately.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but reali ...

Purchasing Software For Job?
Jan 04, 2013

So I interviewed and seems like I got the job, but there was an issue with the version of Word software I had, so I was told to buy a new version from a third-party site.  Contacted Microsoft and they said they weren't listed as an auth dealer and their upgrade price was the same so I went with Microsoft...has anyone else run into this when they were interviewing?  I really want this job but that didn't feel so good.  She also said it could take weeks before training cou ...

Planning On Purchasing A Set Of New Headphones
Oct 19, 2010

I am planning on purchasing a set of new headphones and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what's best.  I have only used Sony or Panasonic (probably cheap) in the past but I am having trouble sorting out the white noise.  Can anyone tell me your experience?  They can get pretty pricey but I am willing to pay for quality and clarity.  Thanks Much.  ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Purchasing Equipment Through Nuance
Nov 25, 2014

I am in desperate need of new computer equipment and I swear I remember seeing somewhere over my time with Nuance that you can possibly buy computers through them and make payments through payroll.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case, where do I find this information and maybe a "shopping" page and/or application/form for a purchase?  Thanks in advance! ...

Question About Purchasing Microsoft Office 2003 Off Ebay.
Apr 22, 2012

I recently bought a laptop and need to at least install Word on it so I can use it for work, but I don't want to pay a fortune and would really prefer to install an older version of Word, i.e. 2003.  I looked on ebay and I see lots of Microsoft Office 2003 software for sell, but also see some confusing things like OEM versions being sold with a piece of hardware as per ebay and microsoft rules.  So I guess my question is if I buy OEM software with the corresponding hardware, can I ...

Our BOB Is Special. LOL
Nov 19, 2013

Our group has been "chosen" to do the 'quality improvement' program. At least I get to spend 1-1/2 hours on NJA Thanksgiving. We all know every BOB group will have to do it. Guess the do not realize we do communicate with each other. ...

Anyone Else Get This??? Special Announcement
Jan 18, 2013

There is an important announcement being made Monday, January 01/21/2013. Please attend... ...

Does MQ Have Something Called Special Teams? SM
Apr 08, 2010

Group of MTs who go from account to account to help out if there is a backlog, JACHO or what have you?  You can tell if they're on your account because you keep getting the trashy doctors. I suppose you'll say the easy stuff is sent to India, but I'm just wondering.  I work for Spheris, so just thought I would ask.  Wonder how all of this is going to play out. Thanks. ...

A Special Thanks To Amanda.....I So Appreciate A Dependable MT
Jul 24, 2012

Thank you so much Amanda for always being there to help me.... I tell you in emails but just want to say in public how much I appreciate your help! So nice to have a dependable MT! ...

Special Announcement Followup
Jan 21, 2013

The big special announcement was our TCM was moving back into her previous roll of QA coach - bringing in a new TCM.   No lost accounts, no jobs cut, no pay cuts... all positives... ...

Do Acute Care MTs Do ER Reports Or Are There Special
Mar 20, 2010

nm ...

Check It Out-Fox News Is Having A Special At 2:30 EST Today About
Sep 27, 2011

the government having access to our medical records and how they shouldn't have that right to our personal information and that it is confidential according to HIPPA, also stating what if Wikileaks or somebody exposes the information and what that could mean.  DUH-what about all the records that go to India, what about HIPPA regulations for that, what about confidentiality on that, what about illegal on that, what about loss of US jobs on that!  I think it is time to write to Bill ...

Special Testing/shoulder Exam
Nov 07, 2012

Is there an FAR or FAIR special test for shoulder derangement? Seems as though I heard of this once but cannot find it now in any of my resources or online. Thanks ...

Social Or Special Screening Of Colon
Dec 18, 2013

I can't understand if the doctor is saying: Social Screening of Colon or Special Screening of Colon ...

Nice Special Bonus Today
Dec 11, 2014

We have such high backlogs they are offering a special bonus of 10 bucks per hour extra on top of your regular pay to work OT today.  ...

NEED A Pathology Immunostain List W/Special Stains.
May 04, 2013

Does anyone have a pathology stain list that they could email me? I would really appreciate it. I need it to have the correct case letters... I seem to only find lists where every stain is capitalized. ...

Sticky Notes To Remember Special Specifications??
May 20, 2013

The person who wrote the first essay must get to work on the same accounts. I used to make a sheet with the basic CPs and special instructions because the CPs are so poorly written, generally speaking, but every time I would get my sheets complete, the account would disappear. After 2 rounds of that, I quit making these summary sheets. I get so many different accounts now that I never get a chance to become familiar with the CP or dictator. So, I just take the time to take whatever mangled, p ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Nuance - Escription - "Special" Foot Pedal
Jul 11, 2013

Hi!! We had our meeting at the hospital today with Nuance about being onboarded with them. We were told by HR that the hospital will let us keep the computers we have been working on, but that Nuance will be sending us the "special" Escription foot pedals. Is this true? I have never worked on Escription before. Does it require its own pedal? I am so heartsick about this transition but at this time, I have no other options. I am going to go into this with the thought of doing my work, ...

Anyone Know What The "special News" Is Re: OT For This Weekend?
Feb 13, 2014

I'd like to know before I say "yes." ...

I Just Watched The Old Christmas Special "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"
Jan 05, 2015

NTS (Nuance) who stole Christmas.....My version......We all know the tune, replace The Grinch with NTS (fits better sound-wise)...NTS = Nuance... You're a mean one, NTS.... You really are a heel You're a Monster, NTS.... You're heart's an empty hole You're brain is full of spiders, You've got garlic in your soul, NTS......(drag it out here!) I wouldn't touch you with a......39-1/2-foot pole !!!!! You're a foul one, NTS... You're a nasty wasty ...

Need New Computer
Dec 26, 2009

I need a new computer however I need to have XP for EXText.  Wondering which way I should go--- Dual boot or have 2 separate hard drives, one for XP and the other for Windows 7 Professional?  Any advice? ...

Mq Computer
May 10, 2010

I leave my computer up and running all the time.  In the past week every morning I am having to reboot because I get an error saying "insufficient system resources to perform this action."  As soon as it finally reboots, then everything is fine, I can log onto DQS and type all day with no problems.  Then it sits again all night, and the same thing happens the next morning. Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Tech support has already increased the virtual memory capa ...

How Many Of You Use Your MQ Computer...
May 17, 2010

for other things besides work such as another job, internet shopping, banking, facebook, etc.? ...

Help - New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

I got a new computer today and when my first job comes up the ADT info is at the top of the page.  Can you tell me how to get it off.  Also how to I make the print on my screen larger?  TIA ...

Computer Age VS 6.1
Sep 10, 2010

I was just wondering how old some computers are that are having problems with 6.1 and if there are people with newer computers that handles it better.  Mine is a MQ computer that is 4 years old now and it bogs down quite a bit.  Everything is sluggish now.  I do have 1 GB of ram and 1.84 GHz, so 6.1 shouldn't take a toll on it as bad as it is.  I'm just wondering if I should ask the Q for an upgrade, if that is the problem.  Knowing the RAM and proces ...