A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about purchasing Microsoft Office 2003 off ebay. - Noney

Posted: Apr 22, 2012

I recently bought a laptop and need to at least install Word on it so I can use it for work, but I don't want to pay a fortune and would really prefer to install an older version of Word, i.e. 2003.  I looked on ebay and I see lots of Microsoft Office 2003 software for sell, but also see some confusing things like OEM versions being sold with a piece of hardware as per ebay and microsoft rules.  So I guess my question is if I buy OEM software with the corresponding hardware, can I install on my new laptop or do I have to use the piece of hardware sent with it?

Also I see some listings for OEM software that has never been opened or installed, so do the same rules apply to that software?

And finally, I see a lot of listings for Academic editions of Microsoft Software or Teacher/Student editions.  Is the academic edition a full insteall and can it be used with say Dictaphone software?

I am so confused!  I just don't want to buy something off of ebay and then find out I can't install on my laptop.  Thanks!

Word 2003 on ebay - Kelly

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes you can purchase Word 2003 on ebay the full version not Teacher/Student edition and it will work fine. Don't know anything about Dictaphone, as I have never used it. Just watch the seller. They have to sell it with a piece of hardware for the reasons they stated. The hardware is a technicality and is useless.

OEM means you can only install on one computer. sm - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. If you try to install on another computer, the program cannot be installed again.

MS Office - donErasmus

[ In Reply To ..]
The rule about including hardware is bogus. Microsoft states that "Distributing such software with individual PC hardware components (e.g. hard drive; RAM) does not comply with Microsoft�s OEM distribution requirements."
Your best bet is a Professional Plus version of Microsoft Office. I have seen one seller listing these licenses for cheap (see link). The licenses are purchased in large quantities and the install software comes preloaded on a USB so it is much cheaper than retail. Otherwise any copy of a disc or one that is not clearly advertised as authentic is a scam.

Similar Messages:

What's The Best Place To Buy Microsoft Office 2003? Nm
May 29, 2010

nm ...

Microsoft Word 2003???
Feb 22, 2013

I just got a new computer and am trying to find a downloadable version of Microsoft Word (ideally 2003, which is what is on my old computer) or even 2008 or 2010.  I had found a downloadable version of this for $39.99 a couple of months ago, but I didn't bookmark it and now can't find it.  When I go to the Microsoft website, the only downloadable version I can find is apparently their new Office 365.   TIA to anyone who can help :-) ...

Issue With Microsoft Word 2003
Oct 21, 2010

When I have more than one window up in Microsoft Word, I will go to close one window, and Word will make me save all the windows. Is there a way to change this so that I can close one window without having to do anything to the others? Word 2000 didn't have this issue. ...

Updating Microsoft Word 2003 To 2006
May 20, 2011

I need to update Microsoft word 2003 to 2006.  When I do this I was told I need to take 2003 out.  My husband says it should not delete anything in 2003 since it is in My documents.  Do you think I will loose what is in 2003 or does it just override it?  I have important stuff I don't want to loose.   Hope I am explaining this correctly. ...

Microsoft Office 2013
Feb 27, 2013

It's time for a new PC, and I found a great deal on a brand new one that comes loaded with MS-Office 2013.  It took forever to get used to 2010.  Anyone here had experience with 2013?  Pros and cons, please.  ...

Is There Any Way I Can Install Office 2003 On
Mar 04, 2010

heard that Office 7 is difficult to work with.  I have to learn BeyondTx at the same time, and I don't want to be overwhelmed with all of this.  I have never used any office programs for work.  Thanks for any help.       ...

How Can I Get MS Office 2003 CHEAP?
Dec 01, 2010

My new employer requires no higher than MS Office 2003, and I need to buy a computer - they all come with Office 7!  What do I do?? ...

Where To Buy Microsoft Office Pro 2010 Cheaply?
Jan 19, 2015

i saw this question on the Classifieds board, but nobody answered. I'd like to know the answer too. Does anyone know where I can buy an inexpensive copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2010 at a reasonable price? ...

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional
Jan 27, 2015

I recently graduated as a medical transcriptionist.  I am currently researching a few companies and am close to applying.  I keep reading that most require Microsoft Office Professional 2007 or 2010.  I have found prices from $150 to $699 which has left me concerned about what I should buy.  Can anyone clear up my confusion?  Thanks! Joyce ...

EditScript And Office 2003 Student
Jun 20, 2012

Does anyone know if Microsoft Office 2003 student/teacher and EditScript 10.2 work together? I thought I saw somewhere it was not supported. I also have Vista 64 bit. Thanks. ...

Career Step Microsoft Office Courses
Jul 06, 2013

I want to increase my Microsoft Office skills. My local community college has classes in it, but I don't know if I would be able to make it work around my work schedule. Which is unfortunate because it would be fully paid through a scholarship. Career Step has Microsoft Office training that of course I could do any time through distance learning. Does anyone know anything about these courses, and if they're good or not? I wouldn't choose Career Step for coding or MT training, but ...

Microsoft Word 2007 Office Version
Apr 16, 2014

I am in need of finding a good site to purchase MS Word 2007 Full Version.  Here is the reason:  I was working for a company and noted I had not received work in 2 days.  Then contacted TL.  She then informed me that the account I was assigned to that work was no longer available at that facilty.  Nice of them to tell me.  I babysat that computer for 2 days.  It was soooo nice of them of giving me the heads up.   Now they tell me that they can put me on a ...

Changing From Office 2007 To 2003 And How To Save Autocorrect For That.
Jun 12, 2011

I am currently running microsoft professional 2007 and will be changing to MS professional 2003 due to a job change.  I did some searches on how to copy my current auto-text (but sounds too confusing to me) and transfer to MS professional 2003.  Is there a way to do this that is not too complicated to explain?  Also, I do not have a flash drive, so can I copy this on a CD and then transfer to 2003.  Thanks for any help. ...

Need Help With Macros/auto Text In Microsoft Office 7 Professional Version
Oct 08, 2010

I will start working from home as an MT next week, however have discovered that the software (Microsoft Office 7, Professional Version) required by the company is quite different from 2003 version.  I have used autotext for years when transcribing by simply highlighting and saving to keyboard strokes easy to remember, but the 07 version has several other names for autotext like building blocks, etc, and will only allow 255 characters.  I have tried setting up a macro, as well with diff ...

Shortcut Keys Microsoft Office 2007 Home And Student
Sep 25, 2014

Recently got new computer with windows 7 (old one had Vista) and put my word office 2007 home and student back on ...my shortcut keys (like F7) for spellcheck are not working...and I want to get the spellcheck visible on the task bar...any ideas how I can fix? Thanks!! ...

Is It Possible To Upgrade Microsoft Word 2000 To Word 2003?
Jul 01, 2010

I have Microsoft Word 2003. Is it possible to upgrade it online to Word 2003? A company I worked for for a short time did it. If it's possible, can someone give me the link? I looked on Microsoft.com but don't see it. ...

Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 Vs Microsoft Ergo 4000
Jun 27, 2013

Getting ready to buy a new keyboard and trying to decide between these 2 models. Has anyone used both and can compare them?  Does the CC 3000 really provide relief for the wrists?  I've heard good things about the 4000 but it looks so...LARGE, lol! Any input appreciated before I click the "buy it now" feature! ...

Has Anyone Bought Software Or Computer Supplies On EBay?
Apr 02, 2012

I just recently bought Microsoft Word 2007 program on EBay and was told by seller that I would receive this in 3 to 4 days.  HA,  what a big joke that was.  It has been 9 days now since purchase on March 24.  Also I thought that UPS was delivering it which would be much better.   No, wrong again.  They are giving free delivery by USPS with high priority.  Oh Wonderful -- so happy that it gets high priority.  In that case, I might just get this before ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Is There A Way To Transfer Autocorrect For Word 2003 To Another Computer Using Word 2003?
Dec 08, 2010

?? ...

Purchasing New Laptop
Feb 02, 2011

Am desperately seeking direction as I new to purchase a new laptop and don't have a clue on what is the most reliable.  My husband, who was wise and always took care of these type purchases for me, passed away in October, and this is just one of a gazillion things I have to learn on my own now.  Anyway, I currently have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 98 that is about 4 years old but it is just not acting right lately.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles but reali ...

Purchasing Software For Job?
Jan 04, 2013

So I interviewed and seems like I got the job, but there was an issue with the version of Word software I had, so I was told to buy a new version from a third-party site.  Contacted Microsoft and they said they weren't listed as an auth dealer and their upgrade price was the same so I went with Microsoft...has anyone else run into this when they were interviewing?  I really want this job but that didn't feel so good.  She also said it could take weeks before training cou ...

Purchasing Computer After Quitting
Mar 10, 2010

Does anyone know if we can purchase our computer from the company after quitting? I know that we can keep all of the other equipment (monitor, keyboard, etc), but we have to return to the tower. Does anyone know if we can purchase it from the company? I have been looking for alternate employment, but haven't been able to find another company that will provide equipment. With computer being so expensive, I just thought I'd keep the one I have. Any input? ...

Purchasing Their Special Computer
Jul 26, 2010

Just hired by company that is requiring me to purchase their "specially build computer" to do the account they need done = Cost $340.  Of course, I have already have a computer because I work from home. Any Feed back on this?  I need this second job to pay bills.  Thank you for your input. Hannah ...

Planning On Purchasing A Set Of New Headphones
Oct 19, 2010

I am planning on purchasing a set of new headphones and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what's best.  I have only used Sony or Panasonic (probably cheap) in the past but I am having trouble sorting out the white noise.  Can anyone tell me your experience?  They can get pretty pricey but I am willing to pay for quality and clarity.  Thanks Much.  ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Purchasing Equipment Through Nuance
Nov 25, 2014

I am in desperate need of new computer equipment and I swear I remember seeing somewhere over my time with Nuance that you can possibly buy computers through them and make payments through payroll.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case, where do I find this information and maybe a "shopping" page and/or application/form for a purchase?  Thanks in advance! ...

MICROSOFT WORD HELP
Sep 19, 2010

I have what may sound like a stupid question.  I was wondering how to back up/save our dictionaries for auto correct and auto text.  I would like to back it up on a disc so if my computer bites the dust, I will still have all of my entries.  I would hate to have to put them all in all over again and I would be lost without them.  TIA and have a great day!! ...

Microsoft Email
Oct 15, 2010

Well now Microsoft wants us to change our passwords before 10/17.  Anyone know how to do this?  Also have 19 updates to do. Everytime I do these it changes my Microsoft Email to version 2003.  Anyone else have these problems?  Thanks. ...