A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

frustrated with "secret" starting pay - cathybmt

Posted: Apr 29, 2012

I find myself "shopping" for another MT company and have really had it with the "competative pay" rather than just coming right out and telling what they start their MT's at - anyone else?

I really want this amount listed as some applications/tests are just not worth my time.  I have 15 years of experience to offer these people and am tired of being treated as a begger when I ask their pay scale before wasting my time.

I would love it if all of us working now would just post our cpl or report pay on an entry level, listing it first by company name.

Landmark - 8 cpl straight typing

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll bite.

Unfortunately some companies offer different rates - AnonToo

[ In Reply To ..]
For the same tier and experience. For example I was offered 0.5 more per line straight typing and 0.5 (I think it might have been 0.7) than another friend who got the same tier, same shift, and same company within 2-3 days of each other of interviewing and SAME interviewer.

ITA I won't bother sending my resume if/when I was searching to someone that didn't list their rates (unless I knew ahead of time via another transcriptionist) or offered less than 0.8 a line for training rates. It's crazy.

Nuance..... 0.815 straight and 0.413 editing - - me2

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Ditto - Nuance - 0.815 straight and 0.413 editing - NuanceMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm but have a great day!

Depends on account - Not all accounts are the same

[ In Reply To ..]
Some accounts within the same company also have different pay rates depending on what the account itself is willing to pay for. Do they want someone with more experience and are willing to pay for it? Some times. Do they only want the bare minimum and are only willin to pay that? Some times.

There's no one flat rate any more, although 8 cpl is the most common one.

If I may presume, I think she just wants a - general idea, not spot on

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it would help if we all saw some of these rates. Knowledge is power. We are in the dark with so much of our job as it is.
OHhh so this is all just mtso exposure a power play...I get it. - lol tsk tsk tsk
[ In Reply To ..]
y'all went from good cause to just plain dirty politics.

StenTel - 5.5-6 cpl - Justmemt

[ In Reply To ..]
They start you out at 5.5 and then raise you to 6 once the QA decides you're worthy enough - like 6 is a big jump to be thrilled about. What a joke.

That is straight typing btw - Meagain

[ In Reply To ..]
X

R.C. Transcription Services - 5 cpl straight typing - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously.

http://www.rctrans.info

Thomas Transcription - 5 cpl straight typing - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously. The one owned by Dee Thomas.

Whoa...I remember - LeavingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Seeing an ad a few times here for 0.03 a line straight typing too. I would hope even a newbie would realize that's like what $50 a day max?

this is an important thread and long overdue - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's bust this secrecy wide open. Enough is enough. Fed up with the hoop-jumping only to find out they offer crappy pay.

that's all it is, isn't it? another chance to blow up the MTSOS - but you gave yourselves away. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
another game. not even a real original poster. well, not playing.

No comprende, amigo. - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't want to tell your cpl, you don't have to.

This information is always held until after we have traversed the gauntlet of applying for a job. This is a legitimate interest for some of us.

Please explain what the harm is in divulging this information? I don't understand you at all.

I refuse to apply for any job that doesn't post what - it pays for both typing & VR. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe if everyone stopped applying to these places that aren't up-front about their cpl pay, it would force them to start being a little more transparent. It's like these guys always have something to hide.

It's because ..... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
if everybody knew ahead of time what their line rates were, nobody would apply so they hold the line rate hostage until they suck people into their process, make them jump through hoops, and then the applicant feels they have already invested so much into the "process" already, they take the position. just another game.
Not just MT - LeavingMT
[ In Reply To ..]
My husband goes through head hunters whenever he has searched for jobs. The last time he was submitted with his salary range to the place and they accepted him for an interview. He was offered the job for $30K less than his lowest asking salary range! His head hunter told him this was uncommon in her experience, but it makes me wonder because it has always been my experience with MT and maybe it's becoming the new norm. Oh he said no to the job. We both figured first of all that's a slap in the face, but KNOWINGLY accepting someone for an interview with his skill set and expecting to pay him that much less, made us both wonder what else they lie and skimp on.
I'm pretty sure MTSOs don't bother using headhunters. - Its pretty obvious by what they hire to manage.
[ In Reply To ..]

TransformMT - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
0.4 editing on M*Modal/MTEditor platform and 0.8 cents typing. They have several categories to get bonuses, and there is a spreadsheet you can log into to find out where you are at, but won't be most accurate until last day of pay period. They do pay for training, one pay period, at 10 cents per line. The daily line count is 1250, and your ability to make that depends on all the variables we know so well. You have to keep track of all your breaks and lunch, and keep a timesheet, ins and outs, otherwise they will be on your back if it looks like you made less than minimum wage.

TransformMT - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
Not at ALL my experience with Transform. Pay is higher and lines are higher. No one bothers me.

Post YOUR pay then.....point of this. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
my pay - is nunya
[ In Reply To ..]
My pay is no one's business but my own. I make more than the poster posted.

Again, you're not going to get the happy, well-paid MTs to post here because there's a reason they make more money, just like the ones who make less there's a reason.
TransformMT - ay
[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, make more than the previous poster. There are variables on top of the base rate. Too complicated to list.

You didn't - post your

[ In Reply To ..]
line rate. All you said was "pay is higher and lines are higher. What rate are you getting? And you daily line requirement is higher? It would be helpful for others to know. Did you negotiate a higher rate of pay? They offered it at hire? Or what?
Because I made the mistake of using a different "name"... - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
I use MT2 and NuanceMT - so I did post - 0.413 and 0.815 VR and Straight. So far, Nuance pays the best, which sucks because not a fan.
I beg 2 differ - Nuance does not pay the best. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
My company is not listed here, as well as a couple others I can think of that pay more.

I will say I make more than 0.413 cpl for VR and more than 0.815 for straight typing. The problem with Nuance is they dont pay for years experience and skill level.

Where I work, I am paid for experience and skill level so my rates are decent.

But I wont disclose my pay.

Max bonus potential is 1750 lines - per day

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to do at least 1750 lines per day to get the full bonus money and score at the highest amount for QA to get that bonus at the max. So you could do around 7.5 cents for VR if everything is maxed but with the corrections you have to make, its no better and no worse here than other places, that is hard to do day in and day out and not wreck your wrists! I average at least 1 correction per line, sometimes more, sometimes the reports are pretty spot on. You just never know.

Oracle - 8 cpl straight no VR - OTIer

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Oracle HAD VR, did they get rid of it? (4 cpl). - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
d

Archivus 8 cpl straight not sure on VR but independent contractor - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Inscribe - 7 cpl straight typing - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
But a lot of ESL dictators.

I agree - and I think it should be REQUIRED of them - to post starting pay on the Job Board! nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Precyse-0.73 cpl-nm - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Do you mean 7.3 cpl - longtimemt

[ In Reply To ..]
Surely you do not mean less than 1 cpl? Do you really mean 7.3 cpl for typing?

This is appalling! - Pitiful range of pay!! (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]
!!!

I agree, especially for IC positions - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

smaller companies - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for two small individual companies, and looking for a third, who pay 0.8 cpl and no VR as of yet. treated well. pay on time. no online platform. IC status.

smaller companies - mtt

[ In Reply To ..]
Give us a clue as what two "secret" small companies you work for who pay 0.8 cpl with no VR.

Starting CPL for companies - AnothertiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Medinks pays 7.5 cpl for typed text and 2 cpl for "qualified text" (canned text imbedded in the templates). If there is not a lot of QT, I can usually type about 500 lines in three to four hours. If there is lot of QT and with changing around the wording, then I usually make about 300 lines in about three hours. It depends on the account, so it is kind of hit and miss if you end up making more than $7.00 an hour.

Medinks sounds like horrible pay. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Totally agree! SM - Tiffani

[ In Reply To ..]
I alsoam sick of spending untold hours of testing when youdo not even know what they pay only to find out it is something like 5-6 cpl. I waste the time to take their tests only to find my time is wasted. Are they ashamed of their pay scale. We all know that compensation is: by the line, competitive, etc. They want my time, my effort to take their tests and I feel like my first born child. It is unprofessional. I have friends who refuse to test until they know the pay scale but the companies do not seem to want to reveal this. After you spend your time then you do not hear from them. Rude in my book.

FutureNet started me off at .10/line... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
but then consistently ran out of work, lost major accounts, switched to VR, outsourced or just had horrid dictators. It was hard to get a decent line count for the day.

pay per line does not always equal good pay - NotNewMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, FN pays on the higher side, but the accounts are loaded with absolutely horrible dictators. The speech recognition never improves on the identical dictators and that pay is low enough with the extra work to really hurt your paycheck. The availability of work is very inconsistent. One day, they are begging for people to work on maybe a couple of accounts, then for the next couple of days everything is pretty much empty. You're required to work a weekend shift - as an IC - but the work on the weekends is almost nonexistent. And, there will never be an increase in that line rate.

Exactly!!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

What Is The Secret?
Apr 07, 2011

What is the secret to passing the mttest?  Way too many years of experience and its not going well on that test site.  Are they reviewed by a computer program or real people?  Any advice? ...

Ok, Webbies, What Is The Secret
Apr 07, 2010

Those getting 300+ LPH with ASR, is that on M-modal?  If so, how in the world are you managing these line counts? ...

Another Nuance Secret Name? S/m
Aug 31, 2012

I googled MT Companies and found a site with a list of supposed companies who are hiring.  I could tell this was outdated by some of the company names who have been taken over/sold.   I clicked on a company called "Heart Landis" and guess whose website popped up?  Nuance. ...

Unlocking The Closely Guarded Secret
Apr 14, 2010

I am a current Spheris employee, hanging by a thread with this merger. I am trying to make a true informed decision about whether I want to accept employment. However, reading through the literature they have provided, there is nothing about pay scale.  We all know how closely guarded these things are, but how can we accept a job that we don't even know what the pay will be? I understand that things will stay status quo, until such a time as they don't.  I want to kno ...

Anyone Have Secret Fantasies Of Anonymously Calling The Facility--sm
Apr 18, 2013

and educating them about what truly constitutes a STAT.  Just because something is dictated by a resident does not mean it is a stat, especially if the discharge was 4 months ago.  Of course, I also have fantasies of conducting a class for residents, helping them to utilize their critical thinking skills and critically evaluate the pertinent information for the report instead of talking for 30-45 minutes about stuff that does not need to be on the chart for the umpteenth time.  If ...

Shhhh Secret But Tomorrow's MT Week Recorded
May 23, 2013

Sends chills up your spine, doesn't it?   ...

I'm Frustrated
May 24, 2010

So, our hospital outsourced and that did not work for me.  I am looking for another job, but from what I see, what used to be a valued service is now a low cents per line and you have to work nights and every weekend for half the pay.  When were we so devalued and how are they able to take this from us.  I am now looking at school because as a widow and two boys to still raise, I can't make it is the income.  I am not a slow transcriptionist, but I can't settle for ...

Frustrated With Pay
Aug 18, 2010

Just need to vent!!  I used to work for a transcription company on production pay at 7 cents/line after a few years there and basically getting starved out of the door for lack of work they were sending me I quit.  Now the clinic they were typing for has hired me to do the same work as I had been doing, same docs, same format, everything!!!  At, get this, $8/hour!!!!  I have a degree in MT plus close to 5 years experience doing THEIR dictations needless to say!!!  Really ...

Frustrated!!
Sep 19, 2011

Hi there fellow MT's.  I am so frustrated and wanted to find out if I'm on an island all by myself, or if there are other MT's that are just as frustrated!!  I have submitted, (NO JOKE) over 30 resumes within the past few months and I am getting absolutely, positively NO responses.  I have almost 10 years of experience, so I know that's not the problem.  I'm starting to wonder if it's my cover letter or resume, but I have used the same ...

I Am So Frustrated, It Seems I Took A Cut In Pay
May 07, 2012

and more that is unrelated to transcription.  This just seems wrong.  I get paid by production, yet I am doing all sorts of work that involves something a clerical worker should be doing.  Is anyone else experiencing this? ...

So Frustrated
Jun 06, 2012

I am just venting. I took a position with a company a few months ago as a secondary income and the platform and dictators are great - very easy to make good money. The problem is there's not enough work to hit my daily line counts and when I ask for more, I kind of get the brush off. It baffles me because there are other accounts in which they have work and they have even needed to post job openings and yet, I sit with no work. I also find it suspect that when I do ask for more work the ...

Frustrated New MT!
Nov 16, 2012

New MTs just curious, who has actually gotten a job!? And which company? I need some encouragement because I'm beginning to think this industry is completely bogus!  ...

New And Frustrated
May 19, 2013

I am new to Nuance. I literally started just this month. I have become very frustrated in the last few days. At first I thought I was really learning from my feedback but I continue to get QA scores of no greater than 95%. I work really hard, listen through reports 3 - 4 times, but I've always done something wrong. Just ranting. ...

Frustrated! Need A Job!!!
Nov 12, 2013

After 13+ years of working in transcription, I am so frustrated. The pay is less, the jobs seem abundant but getting hired is like pulling teeth from a rhino! I have plenty of experience in transcription, QA and account management. Hell, I've even worked the help desk and scheduling but no luck!   This mama needs Christmas cash and fast!  ...

Frustrated About OOW
Jan 16, 2015

I have been with Nuance for a month and a half.  How the heck can I get my 20 hours a week in when all week I have consistently been OOW.  I was told upon being hired that I would have plenty of work.  I need a dependable income and if this is going to continue, I will have to look elsewhere.  I will say that I like the account I am on and because of that I don't want to change where I work, but my bank account tells me I need money.  I have a friend that has told m ...

Frustrated
May 12, 2015

I am feeling rather frustrated and need to vent... Over the last month or so I have been actively pursuing other employment in the MT field. I realize the pickins are slim and the grass is NOT GREENER on the other side, so to speak, but it is what it is and this is the field I am in and need to be in while my kids still need me at home....  However, I am an experienced MT (14+ years experience)... while I understand a company wanting you to test, I do not understand these lengthy 2-hour lo ...

Frustrated And Depressed
Apr 01, 2010

Is there anyone out there that is making the same or more money with MQ since all this has changed. I am an MME and I just cannot seem to make any money.   I try so hard to make ends meet, this is going to be the first time I will not be able to make my car payment.   When I get on a roll the system seems freeze up or I just get horrible dictators the rest of my shift.  I feel alone? If there was someone who can tell me, they are able to stay at same rate, then I can ...

Getting Extremely Frustrated
Aug 30, 2010

I have been out of school since July 15 and applied to over 30 companies.  I applied for this job at a company and haven't heard back yet.  I am optimistic that  I may get this job, but it is taking forever to hear back.  Passed their first test, took the second one, now I am waiting to hear back if I got hired or not. In the meantime though, how do I find other companies online?  I have looked everywhere and felt like I have already applied to every company online ...

Really Getting Frustrated And Depressed
Oct 08, 2010

I have been a stay at home mom since my son was born. During that time I also became a cancer survivor(ovarian). When my son started kindergarten, I decided to go back to school. Since medical transcription is really the only legitimate work you can do from home, I decided to go that route. I was amazed at the schooling and surprised at how well I did. I thought for sure, being an older student and out of the education loop for a while that I wouldn't do well. But I surprised myself. I real ...

VERY FRUSTRATED NEWBIE
Feb 17, 2011

I am new to this industry and have been looking for a job since October 2010.  I am very frustrated because I have filled out over 20 applications and taken over 15 tests.  I pass each and everyone with flying colors, but yet they have turned me down for having NO experience.  I do not understand that if I am passing their tests and they are so "impressed" with me (as they state when they give me my results), then why are they turning me down?  I may not have the experience, ...

Tired And Frustrated
Jan 20, 2012

I am working on a H&P, specifically the history of present illness and am just stumped on this sentence... Bowel urinary contains 10 (sl- nights n e) (sl- teading or tidding) tendencies, exercise (sl- toilets) unlimited. Does any of this make sense? Or can you make sense out of it? Would be greatly appreciated! ...

Frustrated ED Transcriptionist
Jan 21, 2012

Frustrated that even though I have stressed my proficiency in ED work, I am still forced to do other work types first, while yet others are getting ED work types in their "pools"... I would think you would want someone who types fast in a certain area be allowed to crank that work out first and then when it runs out, let the other work types they are not so good at roll into their pool....  Frustrated ...

Frustrated Newbie!
Mar 09, 2012

Hi, I graduated from a local community college with Medical Transcription back in May, last year. Since then it has been simply aggravating finding a job, I wish I had chosen a school on line instead. So far, I've come up with nothing, job wise, and I'm thinking I made the wrong decision about getting into this career. Everywhere I look, they are asking for two years of experience at least, to start out with, or they won't even give me a chance. It's extremely frust ...

Frustrated - Getting OOW When Jobs Are Available - Sm
Jun 14, 2012

I keep getting an OOW message on my account and when I look at NetScript, there are at least 10 jobs that are available to edit/transcribe and not checked out yet and every time I check, there are more available.  They are dictators I get all the time so I am not sure why I am getting OOW.  I emailed supervisor, but she doesn't start for another 2 hours.  I can't flex again because I have appointments to go to and my kids to take care of during my "off" time, and I don&# ...

Very Frustrated Right Now!! I Have Taken Some Tests
Sep 03, 2012

for MT jobs that were ridiculous as in you basically need to be a doctor to pass, but I took a pretest just to take the coding course and it was ridiculous, as well.  I sure felt like emailing them and saying nevermind, I would not consider taking a course that you have to be a doctor just to do coding!!  Very frustrating!!!! ...

Frustrated With This Field
Mar 25, 2013

After reading everyone's posts about how these companies are always running out of work, but always hiring, it's very discouraging to even apply for a position.  I'm currently PRN with a clinic that is suppose to be going EMR sometime this year and I've been out of work for the last 5 days.  No work = No pay!!!  I got on here to see what everyone was saying about some of the companies out there I could apply with for part-time work and it's just so discour ...

Very Frustrated!! I Have Been Trying To Apply
Jun 23, 2013

to apply for a position, but the online application keeps telling me to give distinct answers, which I did and it then tells me to correct the errors, which there were none.  Can someone help me past this? ...

I'm Frustrated, 9/10 Reports So Far Have Been
Mar 12, 2014

foreigners with horrible accents, hard to understand, multiple blanks. I can't make money this way. I've noticed it gets worse and worse as time goes by. I know, I know, there are the US docs who talk fast and sloppy, but seriously between VR, unintelligible sentences, and low pay I'm ready to quit. Thanks for listening. ...

So Frustrated....why Can't I Get Webclock
Nov 16, 2014

to work from either my favorites bar OR saved on the desktop?  I am so tired of having to type the website directly.  I CAN save it to the desktop, but when I click on it, it just gives me a message that says "timeout condition detected" and will not go to Webclock.  ??? Anyone else have this problem? ...

Increasingly Frustrated With SoftScript!
Nov 28, 2009

I usually do not complain on this board, but I have seriously had enough.  I usually tried to stay positive about SoftScript, but no longer!  There are only 3 days left in this payperiod and I have done only just over 1000 lines.  "No Work Available" seems to be the pattern lately.  Plus, I have emailed management several times asking to get a secondary account and have not even gotten a reply email to say we are working on it or even "no", NOTHING!!!  I used to have a s ...