A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transcend OT calculation - OTnot

Posted: Mar 18, 2011

The question someone asked about OT calculation at Transcend got me going because I recently had to figure it out for myself when the OT I received did not come close to what I had calculated it would be. 

If you go to page 34 of the MLS Handbook on the Transcend MLS website, you will read the following:

"For overtime purposes, the base hourly rate for MLS is the total compensation for the pay period (before OT) divided by the total number of hours worked during the pay period.  HALF of the the hourly rate will be paid for each overtime hour plus 100% of production pay."

So, after trying to grasp that, here's what it boils down to, just as an example:

Say for the 2-week period for work 40 hour the first week, doing 10,000 lines.

The second week, you work 42 hours (approved, of course) and do 15,000 lines.

Your total lines are 25,000, paid at .04 each (editing rate) = $1,000 production pay

You have worked 2 OT hours.  According to the above formula, for you earn:

Total compensation for pay period:  $1,000 divided by total hours worked during pay period (82 hours) = $12.20.  This gets divided in half (see above), which equals $6.10.  This $6.10 is your OT rate for this instance (you see, it changes with whatever particular pay period you are discussing because of the way the rule is written).  So, you end up in total with: 

$1,000 production pay + 2 hours of OT at $6.10 per hour ($12.20 total OT pay) =

$1012 Grand Total.

Worth it???????

Very enlightening! - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow! Great breakdown! While I will never come close to hitting overtime, i definitely would not put in the extra time for $12. It really is amazing how that is calculated. Glad I'm part-time! :)

If transcend would be a little more transparent in their rules, maybe they - jus me

[ In Reply To ..]
would not have their employees asking questions about their practice on chat boards. Maybe their upper eschelon needs some training in how to write clear and precise instructions. That payroll program they put in about a year ago with the promises that we could see total line counts, etc., is still the biggest screwup in the world. Must be someone's pet that was put in charge of payroll, not someone overly qualified.

Need OT explanation - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
What I don't quite understand is how they get away with calling this overtime pay. I have been working for almost 40 years now, and anywhere else I worked, overtime was "time and a half", meaning you got paid 1-1/2 times your hourly rate for any hours over 40 in one week. So this "formula" of Transcend's does not seem to make sense. It must be legal if they are getting away with it, but it just does not seem right to say $12 is your "hourly rate" (for PTO and training purposes), and then come up with a different "hourly rate" for OT purposes. Anybody else think this is weird? Could we have some Transcend management explain the logic and fairness of this?

OT - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
What I don't understand is why they are pushing so hard for OT for one account. There are other accounts that are behind, yet this one particular account just must be done. Wonder how much that account is paying to get such great attention, and then wonder why that extra money is paid on to the poor workers who keep getting pushed to do it.
It's probably an account that incurs penalties - when out of TAT NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

It IS time and a half. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You still get paid your base rate for the time you work, but then that formula is to figure out the "half", hence the "time and a half."

It's the law that they have to pay you the OT based on how much you actually made, so since we're not paid hourly they have to have a formula to determine how much you made for the time that you did the OT to turn it into an hourly rate to pay you the extra half.

So if someone is saying they're only getting $12 for doing that 2 hours of OT, that's not quite right. That's the "half time" that is the $12 (approx $6/hr x2 hours) and then the regular time for the OT that was worked would be $24 ($12/hr x2 hours), so in actuality, they made $36 in that 2 hours of OT, not just $12. They were just figuring out their "half" time, but forgetting the regular OT hours worked to start with to make the "time and a half."

No one would work OT in that case. - House of cards

[ In Reply To ..]
Their reputation is getting worse by the minute. It's like a house of cards that is going to come tumbling down eventually.

You FORGOT to add in for the last 5 words, - "plus 100% of production pay." That is

[ In Reply To ..]
for each OT hour you're paid the $6.10 PLUS your production pay (presumably somewhere around $12.20) = $18.30 ("time and a half").

My problem with this example is why anyone but a newbie would be making only $12.20/hr in the first place. Assuming I was still making the $25+/hr I once made there (big assumption, I know), my pay for each OT hour would be closer to $40.

Pragmatist

no, they pay production at regular rate, so you are not paid extra for that - but

[ In Reply To ..]
You only get the 6.10 extra

But the OT hours you worked ARE extra! You're getting time and a half for them. - Hello?!

[ In Reply To ..]
Just like if you were paid hourly at a hospital or doctor's office or whatever. The regular production rate IS extra above and beyond your scheduled time and the 6.10 is your extra "half."

I really don't mean to be rude, but if something isn't grasping the concept that you ARE in fact getting time and a half for your OT, then you're probably not smart enough to be good at your job. I know it sounds harsh, but you're on here slamming a company who is doing nothing wrong in this case.
As bad as the editor has been, you need triple pay just to make what - at transcend
[ In Reply To ..]
you were making on regular work 3 weeks ago. Of course, it will never get fixed because you are just told to shut up and fix it, that is your job. What an attitude management has.
Penny wise and pound foolish. They are paying more per line to get - jus me
[ In Reply To ..]
caught up when if they would just fix the editor they would not have overtime or penalties to pay and everyone could make a decent line count.
OT - NOT ARGUING
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not saying I'm not getting time and a half. Not at all. What I am saying is that my 2 hour of overtime resulted in a TOTAL AMOUNT OF PAY FOR THAT OVERTIME of $6.10. That is, six dollars and ten cents. I don't mean to be rude either, but that amount does not seem a whole lot for 2 hours of my time and expertise.

To FORGOT - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
They would never pay you (or anybody) 40 dollars an hour. That would cut into their 16M bonuses.

They WOULD and they DO. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcend is far from perfect, but I'm still making decent money with them even after the switch to VR. I'm making about $25 an hour regular, which means that when I work OT I'm making about $37.50. I'm very good at my job and I know it. While Transcend hasn't been the best employer I've ever had, they have been fair to me and the DO pay OT correctly.

Worth it? - Ex-MDI/Transcend

[ In Reply To ..]
H*** no! It's because of these types of shenanigans that I quit some time ago.

Worth It - Some Insight - Oldhat

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you people for real! I have ready so many posts on everybody out of work, people not being paid or paid late and now you want to slam a company for paying OT. Give me a big break. For the same old complainers on this board -no wonder you have been at so many different companies - seems nobody can satisfy you people. Good ahead, bash me - but for the life of me you can't see what is right in front of your face!

AMEN, SISTAH! Preach it! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I swear, some people would complain - if you hung them with a new rope

[ In Reply To ..]
NM
So true! :) - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thank you!!! And there aren't even any "shenanigans" in the first place. - ugh

[ In Reply To ..]
I seriously don't get how these people don't understand that they're being paid time and a half.

I used to work for a company that paid us the time and a half based on our PTO rate and later had to go back when they found out the law was that we had to be paid on what we actually made during that period when OT was worked and re-figure all of our paychecks over the years and pay us any difference. And people are questioning why there's a complicated formula to figure our our "half time"? That's why.

Similar Messages:

VBC Calculation
Mar 30, 2010

I see periodic discussions on this board regarding VBC pay.  There have been "white papers" and similar studies issued by various bodies, including, I believe AHIMA, and here's what I've gotten as a way to calculate the meaning of VBC rates.  I suggest when offered a VBC rate, you ask your prospective employer or manager how they have calculated the relationship between the "standard" 65-character with spaces line rate and the VBC rate.  They should be happy to supply y ...

QA Submission Calculation??
Mar 10, 2010

What is the QA submission calculation??  I can't find the email.  Please help.  Thank you. ...

Calculation Of Hours
Aug 30, 2010

Lines typed divided by lines per hour = how many hours you actually worked, even if what you have on your time sheet is more?  Does this make sense to anyone?  ...

Has Anyone Received Their New PTO Calculation?
Dec 31, 2010

We usually have it by now since it goes into effect tomorrow. ...

QA And Calculation Of Score
Jul 25, 2013

I had 0.5 points deducted on a report for invalid blanks, no other errors, yet my score in FIESA was 98.08%.   Does anyone know how these scores are calculated?  Seems to me that 100-0.5=99.5.  So, either my math is really bad or FIESA is hosing us!  I emailed my TSM about is and as usual got no response.  Thanks! ...

Pay Calculation? Something Wrong?
Mar 31, 2015

California raised their minimum wage to $9 from $8 July of last year. With the mandatory OT, I was surprised to find my pay was not more. So, I divided my gross pay by hours worked, and I am coming up 40 cents an hour short. Anyone else? ...

Q's(now, Mmodal) Salary Calculation Formula.
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone knows the formula how Q( now mmodal) calcuate their employees salary based on linecount..? and, rates for ASR and straight transcription both same now?       ...

Shorthand Expander - Can't Figure Out How To Do A Count, Or Calculation
Aug 25, 2012

I'm still in school, working on adding to my Shorthand file. I hear people talk about how many entries they have in theirs, but I can't figure out how to do a count, or calculation. Can anyone tell me how this is done? Thanks... ...

VR At Transcend
Nov 18, 2009

Did VR develop Alzheimer's?  It has lost everything.  I am tired of no commas, periods, and everything else it reverted back to since its infancy.  It is really true that now you can transcribe faster than you can edit.  Does anyone even care?  Do you know how many times you have to stop in the middle of labs to put in punctuation?   This has been going on for over a month and I haven't noticed any big push to get it fixed.  Just another way to m ...

MDI/Transcend Pay For ULD? M
Feb 01, 2010

Does anyone remember in the conference calls, mention of MDI/Transcend paying for unlimited long distance phone charges for employees?  I remember this being mentioned but can't recall all the details;  if it was for FT only, everyone, etc.  Does anyone remember details and if that still stands? ...

To MDI/Transcend MTs : Is Anyone Else
Feb 01, 2010

work today?  ...

Transcend TLs ??
Feb 08, 2010

I am curious as to if the TLs are meeting their requirements.  They are expected to type 75-80% of their time and get paid by the line as well .  I am very suspicious that they are not typing VR all day, having their work sent to India, etc, and are getting the straight typing.  They get paid a flat fee per month for their administrative duties on top of that.  I wonder if they are experiencing no work and looking at a blank screen most of their time& ...

Transcend MTs
Mar 03, 2010

n/m ...

Is There More Than One Transcend? I See Their
Mar 19, 2010

job ad on the Seeker's board and it sounds like a place I would like to work.  I work for a company also called Transcend, but they are not a place that I would recommend to anyone.  I haven't worked all week as there has been no work.  Just NJA. So maybe this Transcend is in a parallel universe.  It certainly could not be the same place where I'm employed.  ...

About Transcend
Mar 28, 2010

I have read dozens of posts on the board about Transcend, some good and a lot not so good.  However, I think there is an explanation for some MTs loving it there and others hating it so much. Transcend is a company made up of many other companies through mergers. The original Transcend who existed first, before acquiring other companies seems to be the problem.  On the other hand, for example MDI/Transcend, for the most part does not seem to fit that description. You have to remember ...

VR With Transcend?
Apr 21, 2010

I'm coming to the realization that unless I get faster with editing these VR reports, I am never going to be able to make the full-time production requirements at Transcend.  I'm really freaking out.  Is it really possible to do 300 lines per hour in VR?  How long does it take to get faster with it?    ...

Want To See What Our Value Is To Transcend?
May 19, 2010

Google Star Clip Itz Note Holder w/ Metal Rod & Alligator Clip to see exactly how much it cost Transcend per MT for this gift that bears so much thought and appreciation.  Do they really not realize how it affects their corporate image when their priority is placed on spending $600,000+ on a failed business venture versus the amount spent to "appreciate" the motor that makes their business run?  That's like spending more than a half million dollars to buy a garage to hous ...

Transcend....yet Again
Jun 05, 2010

I was with the company for over five years, not once failing to meet the requirements of me yet I was told my position would have to change to 2nd or 3rd shift if I wanted to keep my job as there were no positions available for 1st shift.  Two days after resigning I see they are hiring for 1st shift positions on a typing only platform which is what I wanted. I just don't get it. ...

Transcend Cpl
Jun 17, 2010

Our company was bought by Transcend and will start working for them in August.  Can anyone tell me what their starting line rate is or their average cpl. ...

Transcend Pay
Jun 25, 2011

Could someone please tell me what it is possible to be earning in say 3 months at Transcend? VR and straight typing? I am trying to make an important decision, and you never know the true pay, what to expect in advance, how long to get highly productive, etc. Thanks in advance. ...

Transcend/DTS
Jun 25, 2011

Did anyone else get the memo from Transcend (soon to take over from DTS) about the line rate change for the transitioning employees from DTS?  It was elegantly written, but basically it said that when the accounts are switched over the VR that the line rates will decrease but productivity will increase and no cut in pay is expected.  It is happening exactly how the posters on this board that have been through takeovers by Transcend said - decreased pay. I gave my notice already BT ...

OSI And Transcend
Aug 17, 2010

Hi everyone, I am new to this board and I have a question, does anyone know anything about Transcend or OSI, how about AllType??  Thank you  ...

Wmx - Transcend
Sep 02, 2010

It has been mentioned that Wmx has lost 2 large accounts that is the reason for people being let go.  Transcend has mentioned in the last few months about acquiring a new large account in September.  Was at least one of these 2 large accounts, if not both, acquired by Transcend??? ...

Transcend And TTS
Sep 17, 2010

I have a phone interview with Transcend out of Atlanta and TTS out of New Hampshire today and next week. I've been working for the same MT company for over 8 years, but they're losing accounts and cutting our pay so I'm looking to possibly change jobs. Has anyone worked for Transcend or TTS? I'm scared to death to change jobs at this point. I know the problems and shortcomings of my current company. I switched jobs once before for a few months and found that all the promises ...

Thank You Transcend!!!
Dec 20, 2010

Thank you Transcend for the gift card! ...

MDI/Transcend W2's
Jan 29, 2011

Received Transcend's, but not MDIs.  Didnt we work for MDI until February so we should get a W2 from MDI as well...correct?  TIA ...

Transcend W-2
Jan 31, 2011

Has anyone received their W-2 from Transcend? ...

What Is Going On With DTS/Transcend?
Apr 06, 2011

Transcend was supposed to take over on 04/01/2011, but I have heard nothing from anyone - no emails, nothing.  I am still getting work though.  Any news? ...

Transcend - How Big??
Jun 08, 2011

Anyone know how many MTs?  At least number in US? ...

Transcend ?
Aug 19, 2011

Is it plausible that an MT here can make line count/quota, whatever they call it, reliably? Do you have steady work?  Just curious as I'm thinking of applying. ...