A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

StenTel - anyone working for them - Mr.D

Posted: Aug 30, 2012

I work for them and find the pay to stink and my QA and manager to be brash and hard nosed.  I am a great MT, but the account I am on has crazy account specs.  I am sick of getting paid crap and then all these account specs on top of it.  Anyone else feel this way?

you're preaching to the choir - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
You have a lot of company. Keep looking (while still working) until you find a somewhat better gig. And good luck to you.

This is how it is now. We have to adapt or get out.

Something seems odd and fake about this post, IMO. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Odd - Mr. D

[ In Reply To ..]
Just wondering what seems odd/fake about my post? I thought it was quite honest and to the point. IMO

Mr. D - apolgize for this being long - ancient one

[ In Reply To ..]
Hello, first of all, I have seen several of your posts regarding being a relatively new MT as well is you stating that you are relatively new to the world of medical transcription. You state that you are a great MT -- how do you know that? Is that in your own estimation or receiving praise possibly from a former employer or an instructor? I have also seen posts from you wanting to know about getting your own accounts. Do you really know the headache that that entails? Especially for someone who is just out of school and learning.

Sten-Tel is one of the few places that will even consider newer MTs. I worked many years ago for them doing QA and mentoring their newer MTs and I was really amazed at some of the things that I saw -- one of them being a report where the MT had typed "Kem-7." She sent me an instant message, stating that she felt she was being "picked on by QA." I had her contact me by phone and we did an internet search using the term, Kem-7 -- I believe one of the first hits that came to mind was a rock band in the Netherlands or some such place (it's been many years). I asked her if she felt if any of the searches fit into the medical world and she agreed they didn't. The point is, you feel, I believe, somewhat the same -- that you are being picked on. You're not. Account specs are there for a reason. Some accounts are strictly verbatim, some accounts are verbatim, but will allow a little leeway as far as correct grammar etc.

I started my MT career about 32 years or so ago. I learned it on the job at the local hospital on a Selectric typewriter with correction tape and having to type carbon copies. Luckily, the director of medical records at the time was very patient with me and knew that I had a knack for being able to do this kind of work and luckily for me, she felt I had an extremely good "ear" to be able to do this kind of work. I love words, I love the medical field and I love learning something new every day and I am still learning. When I first started out, I had typed a report for one of our local orthopedic surgeons, who had a slight accent and I had transcribed that the patient had "sciatic camels." The doctor, when he would come into the transcription department, would always come over to me and joke that he didn't have any patients with camels today.

Fast forward about 10 years later -- another example of where I had taken a job in a local hospital (after having taken a hitaus from medical transcription). I was typing a report on a patient and the doctor (or one of the consulting doctors) had placed the patient on penicillin -- I got down to the allergy section of the report and found out the patient had an allergy to penicillin. I IMMEDIATELY went upstairs to the nurse's station, asked for her chart, and went through it ( I had been a certified nurses aide during part of my hiatus, and many of the doctors knew that I had this background). Sure enough, this patient was deathly allergic to penicillin. I showed this to the charge nurse, and she immediately contacted the doctor. The doctor later came in and thanked me for saving that patient's life.

Since I have been working from home (1997), I have seen my wages drop back down almost to what I was making then. I went from making 15 cents per line and now, am extremely lucky if I am offered 7.5.

I have been asked many times why I don't want to start my own service. The main reason being that too many people have gotten into this profession for the "work from home aspect" only, thinking that they can juggle work and a family life. I frequent these boards daily and there are so many MTs who are just starting out that only want to work M-F, 8-5 because of "family commitments," etc. I have always treated this as my career. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I have let my employers know, whether I am an IC or employee, if I will be available or not. I just went through that situation a week ago, when Isaac started hitting the area in South Florida where I reside. I let them know that I may or may not be available, depending upon the course of the storm, power situation, etc. Too many MT's state they will commit to a schedule (even as an IC), but on weekends, they are missing in action. This is why accounts are lost and there is too much overhiring. It has to be seen from both sides of the fence.

Thank You! - Former QA Person

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your great note. I used to do QA work. I was amazed at how many MTs thought I was "picking on them." Someone literally typed, "left ear surgery for excess toe cysts." (s/b exostosis). I kid you not. I sweetly but firmly informed this MT (who had a track record of this sort of error) to step back and think before typing and/or to proof carefully before sending reports. MT also typed things like castration instead of catheterization and such.

Of course, I got in big stuff trouble with my supervisor for losing patience, after all, this person was new. Excuse me, I don't care if you never stepped foot in the MT world, one should know that one does not do ear surgery on the toes, and if you don't know what castration (or any other word) means, look it up before typing it.

And then there were the MTs who bashed me for fixing a comma, but failed to take note and acknowledge an error such as I stated above.

Doing QA is thankless work. I went back to just doing MT.

wow.... - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
this post was all about YOU and gave no "advice" or anything to the OP. I have seen many of YOUR posts in the past, as well, and I keep getting the distinct feeling that you are looking for some kind of validation that you are a "great MT". Not trying to take anything away from you, but in this day and age, experiences such as yours are no longer rewarded or appreciated. The OP may have "stars in his eyes" about where his/her career is headed, but telling him/her about yours is not going to help them in any way. If you think they should leave the profession before it goes down the drain, tell them that, but don't go looking for glory for your once great career. Not trying to be mean, but that is what I got out of your post, as well.

Double wow! - Sandygirl

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone decides to post looking for some "encouraging" words, and this is what they get. The pay is crappy. Let's face it. And no, we should not be expected to work more than 8-5 when we are getting paid so crappy. Why on earth would we want to put even more work into our day when we aren't making anything as it is?? Okay, so we knew that being an MT wasn't going to bring in great big bucks. I do think, though, that a lot of us were misled as far as how much we were going to make. So don't criticize others who are "complaining" about the crappy pay. It is, for a fact, crappy. If they need to vent once in a while so be it. There are those of us who are trying to make a go of it, crappy pay or not. Once in a while we just need to share our feelings with others without feeling as if we have been put down for it.
Thank you - Mr.D
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you Sandygirl for understanding where I was coming from.

Amen, tell it how it is...enjoyed your post - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Amen.

I have never been able to work 9-5, more like 8 am to 4 am or worse 24/7, 365 days per year. Having your own accounts do have a few advantages; however, this also brings on a lot more responsibility. Days off... LOL. Dream on unless doctors are on vacation, and then you spend it on other business needs.

Almost all of us feel this way - RC

[ In Reply To ..]
Who are working for big companies, anyway.

Sorry. :( It's the way the industry has gone.

RC -- Your Post - ancient one

[ In Reply To ..]
That is what I was trying to convey in my post above, as well as possible reasons behind why unfortunately, this profession has gone to the dogs.

UtOh - Mr. D

[ In Reply To ..]
Well these posts are an eye opener. Hmm the stars are leaving quickly.

Similar Messages:

StenTel?
Mar 08, 2011

Anything, pro or con, about StenTel?  How does it compare to MQ? ...

Does Anyone Know Anything About StenTel?
Aug 08, 2011

Submitted my resume and got an Email from them today.  Waiting for them to call. ...

Does Anyone Know Anything About Stentel In MA.?
Aug 29, 2013

Does anyone know anything about Stentel in MA.? Good, bad, do they pay on time? Thanks for any help. ...

Any Experiences With StenTel??
Jun 14, 2011

Good, bad, indifferent??  :))) ...

New Stentel MT/ME Employee ???
Apr 26, 2012

Hey folks! This is an amazing forum. Even for the SPOUSE of a MT!! You guys have answered many questions I/we have had over her time with CSteps and now as a new hire.  Here is a fairly nebulous question. I am curious and wondering if someone out there would have some insight. Can anyone tell me what my wifes first month's pay will look like? She started at Stentel April 1. They only pay once a month. She gets .03 per line. We are just wondering how much her first check will be... An ...

Stentel Transcription
Apr 18, 2013

Has anyone heard of Stentel Transcription or had any experience with them?  ...

Stentel Ad--terrible Pay
May 09, 2013

5 to 5-1/2 per line for straight transcription/ 2-1/2 cents per line for VR.  Are they out of their ever-loving minds?  Anyone would be better off at a beginning clerical job that requires no skills at $10 per hour PLUS a couple of benefits, even if that just means you are an employee and have your taxes (i.e., social security, medicare) and other state/federally mandated business costs covered by the employer.  It just keeps getting ugiler.  And truly, are we supposed to ...

StenTel Of New Jersey
Dec 05, 2013

Does anyone have any info on a company called StenTel New Jersey with someone by the name of as the contact for applications?  I would appreciate any info at all.  Thank you! ...

StenTel Corporate
Apr 15, 2014

Has anyone ever worked for this company or no anything about them?  I have an interview. ...

Stentel - 3.5 CPL For Editing
Oct 28, 2014

A friend just got this offer from Stentel.....5 – 6 ½ cpl for typing and 2 – 3 ½ cpl for editing....in case anyone is interested. ...

StenTel Or Softscript
Mar 02, 2015

Any suggestions? ...

Does Anyone Work For Stentel
Jun 10, 2015

Does anyone work for Stentel.  Just wondering if it is a good place to work for. ...

Anyone With Info On CCR/StenTel Out Of Massachusetts?
Mar 11, 2013

. ...

Stentel Pays Pretty Low
Nov 02, 2014

I understand that Stentel pays pretty low, but I am wondering if they are negotiable or if their platform etc still allows you to make more money that a company that pays a little more. How is their incentive plan if they have one? I do see that the actual cpl isn't always the bottom line. Any info appreciated. ...

Stentel An Awful Company!!!
May 01, 2015

I just need to vent.  I have worked for this company for 7 years and can't believe how terrible they treat their ICs.  I thought they were a decent place to work but they have now shown otherwise.  I have worked under 3 other account managers and never had any problems.  Then, I get moved to my current manager and instead of getting paid more, I go from 0.07 cpl to 0.06 cpl, and this manager cannot be satisfied.  Oh, it doesn't matter if I do good quality work, ...

Any Current Info On StenTel?
May 27, 2015

Anyone currently work for StenTel in Springfield, Massachusetts? Have searched archives for recent info, but not much found except their pay is low, but isn't that true of every MTSO these days? Seems they are hiring for Oncology and ID, so would love to hear from anyone who currently works there or has recently. Thanks so much! ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

Working For The VA
Apr 24, 2010

Just wondering how the MT's that work for the VA like it. When you're directed to their web site, it really doesn't say too much.  Thanks ...

Working Either Way
May 10, 2010

I would like to work "outside" of home but it is quite a struggle getting the okay from my husband.  The transcription is pretty unbearable to me. Anyone else have that concern? ...

DQS Not Working?
Aug 06, 2010

DQS down for anyone else?  I try to log in and it says "failed to connect." ...

US MT Working Outside Of The US
Nov 12, 2010

I have an odd question.  If a US trained Medical Transcriptionist works from home (in the U.S.), but then decides to spend 1/2 the year (or more) in a foreign country, is it possible (ethical/legal) to continue working as an MT while in that country?  The MT would keep the US address, and bank account.  All paychecks would continue to be direct deposited into current U.S. bank account.  MT would continue to pay U.S. taxes on all monies earned.  Does anyone see anyt ...

Working With Pet
Feb 02, 2011

I have a new pet - a dog - who wants to sit next to me while I work. Does anyone have any ideas how to "update" my chair so this is possible. She's not very big, only about 15-16 lbs but I have no idea how to adapt my chair to make this possible. TIA. ...

Anyone Working For TSI?
Mar 18, 2011

I went to their website for the current job posting but my security software kicked me out of their site. Can anyone give me info on working there, good, bad, ugly???   Thanks in Advance! ...

DQS Is Working Again
May 28, 2011

Hope my work is still available to recover. ...

Working More Than 1 Job
Oct 17, 2011

I know I am not the only one working 2 jobs or more.  Between them I am scheduled 68 hours per week.  I have them spread out enough I have "long breaks" in between to fix supper, take a little me time out around the lunch hour and housework kind of gets slighted.   Watching TV of a night with hubby sleeping in his recliner is the main thing I am "missing out on".   I don't spend as much money because I simply don't have the time to go out shopping other th ...

Well I Used To Like Working For DSG...
Feb 06, 2012

And to think, I actually left medquist to work for DSG.   Now they're forcing me to work for medquist again, and trying to convince me it's going to be a good thing?   I love to know if any DSGers are actually happy about this...   ...

Working PT/PRN
Jul 05, 2012

Does anyone know of any companies that hire on a super PT or PRN basis? I am looking for some backup whenever my FT position gets slow. I comb the job postings here regularly and on another site, but really haven't come across anything as of late.   TIA. ...

Could Anyone Who Is Currently Working For
Aug 24, 2012

CCT please message me?  I have a few questions:)  Thanks! ...

Looking For Others Working For AP
Sep 19, 2012

Anyone still with AP?  ...

DQ Not Working
Oct 21, 2012

Is there maintenance tonight on DQ 7?  It doesn't seem to be working.    ...