A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Radiology Transcription Rate Question - Old Acute Care MT

Posted: Nov 14, 2012

Hello all.  I am a very experienced acute care MT, 13 yrs in the business, all specialties, ESLs, all work types, etc.  I have been wanting to get out of the MTSOs for quite some time.

I was recently offered an in-office job at a radiology center for part front-office work and part radiology transcription.  I was very clear to them that I had no specific training in either, but they actually hired me.  I am tickled pink.  I think my acute care experience helped in terms of the rad transcription, so I appreciate that offer. 

However, the pay for the rad trans was $1.50 per report, but I do not have a frame of reference as to that is fair or not. I think it was a generous offer since they know I have no rad experience. Note that I have experience in hundreds of dictators in all other acute care specialties (which the office knows), but am wondering if $1.50 report is reasonable anyway. I also am very clear of anatomy when it comes to MRI type reports and CT scans where parts of the body are mentioned.  My weakness would be x-ray beam names and equipment machine names.

The front office part of my training would be separate, and I'm clear there on their offer and fairness since I have ZERO office training.

What do you all think of $1.50 per radiology report, in someone who has done everything else and has a good ear. I also would be just transcribing for one dictator.

Thanks so much.  I have a big decision to make. Finally, a chance to get out of this MTSO horrible rut, so any input, positive or negative, is much obliged, including the possible demise of radiology transcription.  Actually, one of the things that attracted me to the job was the clerical work, but I still need to factor in the MT radiology part in my decision.

Rad trans - Hula

[ In Reply To ..]
You won't have any problems with Radiology terms. The reports tend to be repetitive. Perhaps you might have to look up a type of contrast used but knowing anatomy will go a long way. $1.50/report is good. I wish I had this job offer!

That is an excellent rate - alana

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTSO that took over my hospital account paid me $1.70 as an IC. Prior to that, the very small agency that I contracted with me paid $2.00 for the same account. With shortcuts and negatives, it was easy to make $50/hr. Hopefully you'll be able to make shortcuts of just about everything.

Google for samples, get the steadman's radiology/oncology - word book to help with

[ In Reply To ..]
techniques for MRIs, etc, and contrasts. You will do fine. You are so lucky. I would love, love, love something like that.

And...after a while, be sure to talk to those guys about the evils of MTSOs and voice recognition, etc. Let them know by finding you, they saved themselves a TON of (not only) money (grief, too).

have a wonderful future!! :-}

Ortho and RAD - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I just started with a small company that does mostly RAD. I was hired to do ortho which I am very experienced in but the owner said that she would like to cross train me so I can do the RAD. I practically begged her. She told me when I get the ortho down, that she would probably train me. I am hoping so much that this job works out. It is different from the large companies. The owner is taking time to train me properly and it really feels great. The pay is pretty good too. I ordered the Stedman's Radiology word book from Amazon for .01 and paid the postage. It isn't the newest version but will help and can still get a lot of words etc. online. Good Luck!

Thanks so much! - See Msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Only thing standing in my way is their cost of insurance. I need to get the numbers, then do the math.

Finally, a possible way out of the MTSO!

don't let that stop you - OHMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't let the cost of insurance stop you from taking what sounds like a really good opportunity. Shop around. You might be able to get a better rate elsewhere. I get my insurance through HAA (Health Advocates Alliance). I had to become a member ($5 membership fee) in order to get the insurance, but I got a much better rate than my employer at the time was offering. When I left that job and took an IC job, I didn't have to worry about insurance because I have my own. HAA is probably not the only place out there with this kind of setup. I would assume there are others as well. So, just do a little research and compare prices with what your new company is offering.

Good luck with the new job! Sounds like you've found a winner!

Rad trans - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I am happy for you, I hope you enjoy doing radiology transcription as much as I did. I was paid by report for a short period of time and $1.50 is an excellent rate, although it might get confusing for them to pay you an hourly rate for front office and a different rate for MT. You will have no problem with the terminology. I did acute care and multispecialty before I did rad. For me, the only down side to radiology transcription were the tight turn around times. Stedman's Radiology Words is a good reference book and includes equipment names, most of that can also be found if you use Google. Also, if you are transcribing for only 1 doctor, I am sure he will be happy to answer your questions, I'm guessing you are going to learn a lot. Good luck, enjoy!

You will get it down by using the samples of the reports. - You will do great! That is a good rate! Congrats

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Thank you all so much - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

Fair Rate For Straight Radiology Transcription Per Report
Apr 05, 2013

What would be a fair rate for straight radiology transcription per report for a well-seasoned, part-time employee working every Friday and Saturday from 3P to 11P? Thank you. ...

Radiology - What's The Going Rate?
Dec 14, 2009

What's the going rate with Radiology these days?  I'm getting $18/hour, but I could be making (much, much) more if I got paid by the line or by the dictated minute.  ...

Anyone Know Going Rate Of Radiology MT?
Oct 09, 2010

I realize it varies depending on where you live - but not by that much, I think.  I applied at a local hospital in June and this morning got an email message that there was opening in the Rad Department for MT.  I went ahead and sent my electronic application.   No guarantee I'll even called for interview much less get the job, but I'm curious if the hospitals tend to pay by the hour or by page, etc.    The benefits are incredible and that is the rea ...

Anyone Know Radiology Pay Rate On Job?
Jun 28, 2014

Search function does not want to work for me.  Could anyone working for Peachtree doing radiology let me know the line rate?  Anything else I should know about this company? ...

What Is The Going Per Report Rate For Radiology? I've Been Offered A Job
Feb 16, 2012

that pays per report and I'm trying to get an idea if what they are offering is fair.  I live in the rural midwest.  ...

CBS Transcription Pay For Radiology
Sep 17, 2014

Anyone working at CBS know the by report rate at this company for radiology? ...

Radiology Transcription
Jan 28, 2015

Does anyone know of any companies seriously looking for Radiology transcriptionists. I constantly see openings for Acute Care transcriptionists, and try as I might, they want someone with recent experience in Acute Care. Tired of getting doors slammed in my face or no replies. My goodness, I do have extensive medical terminology, what with 25 years of Radiology transcription experience; but obviously this is not enough. ...

Pathology And Radiology Transcription
May 23, 2011

I have been a radiology transcriptionist for about 12 years. I am presently unemployed. I have seen an ad on one of the job sites for a pathology transcriptionist with 1 year experience. My question is how different/difficult is pathology transcription. Should it be something a radiology transcriptionist can do, given I have 15 years experience but 12 in rad work. Do you think it would be something I could pick up without difficulty? Any information and input would be appreciated. I have been ou ...

Radiology Transcription Future
Sep 22, 2011

There has been an obvious decrease in medical transcriptionist positions being advertised where I live.  However, I tend to see openings for radiology transcriptionists at the local hospitals.  Due to the nature of this work and the quick TAT needed, I wonder if radiology transcriptionists will always be in need or if it too will die off.  ...

X-Press Transcription (radiology)
Apr 06, 2012

Does anyone have any current information on X-Press Transcription?  Pay? (e-mail me if preferred) ...

Radiology Transcription Posting...
Feb 25, 2013

I was wondering how much per report that radiology transcription job posted over on the Job Seeker's Board is going to pay.  Only 40 reports a day, which really aren't many reports.  I hope they are going to have to pay at least $2.50 and up per report.   I am rather leery, as the amount per report wasn't posted and they pay monthly.  :/ ...

Where Are All The Radiology Transcription Jobs?
Aug 26, 2013

It is just me or does it seems as if the transcription third party companies are focused more on acute care transcription than any other specialty. I have been a radiology transcriptionist for over 20 years. The company I worked for decided to eliminate 13 of us F/T transcriptionists since they converted to VR system and they kept a few aboard. Apparently the radiologists are being trained to edit their own reports. That being said, I'm searching high and low for a F/T position for a radiol ...

Lost Job Radiology Transcription
Dec 10, 2013

I read on one of the facebook MT pages (we aren't allowed to talk about specific pages on here) that an MT of 14 years just lost her RAD positon with MModal today.  Hope this does not begin another round of layoffs so close to the holidays.    ...

Radiology Transcription Companies?
Nov 18, 2014

I know it's a dying breed, but are there any GOOD companies out there still hiring for radiology transcriptionists? ...

I Want To Learn Pathology And Radiology Transcription
Jul 23, 2010

Hi, I been working full time in acute care as an IC now for 7 years and I have been noticing the only jobs for transcriptionists left in hospitals or labs is pathology, sometimes but rarely radiology.  How can I go about learning pathology.  I been in acute care my whole career, it can't be that hard to learn after typing acute care non stop for this long.  Any ideas? ...

Radiology Transcription To Voice Recognition
Sep 29, 2010

Has any radiology transcriptionist heard of a group of radiologists from the Chicago group?  I am a hospital radiology transcriptionist and have just started hearing that my hospital is switching to voice recognition on Jan 1st.  We have been given very little info.  I don't even know I will have a job, if they need editors, etc.  Please help.  Give me any info you have on this group or voice recognition for radiology.  If you haven't heard ...

Any Heard Of Radiology Transcription Services LLC Out Of NJ?
Jun 13, 2011

Just trying to feel out some companies...came across this one.  Thanks! ...

Is It Hard To Pick Up Radiology Transcription?
Nov 06, 2012

Is it hard to pick up radiology transcription? I have worked in MT for 30 years and feel I have have a very good grip on medical terminology in every field. Just wondering. Thanks. ...

Has Anyone Ever Taken The Radiology Test For DTS (digital Transcription Services)?
Oct 11, 2010

Has anyone ever taken the radiology test for DTS? Is it hard?   Any info on the company?   TIA ...

Landmark Transcription Lost Radiology Account
May 09, 2012

Whoever worked for Landmark Transcription recently and lost a hospital radiology account, I am wondering if you have found other work yet?? ...

Epic Radiology Transcription Jump Codes
Aug 23, 2012

Does anyone know if there is a code in Epic to jump from the physician provider's box to the transcription palette in radiology. If not, is there a jump code in Microsoft Word that could be used. New to Epic. It makes me dizzy. ...

Rate For General Transcription?
Nov 18, 2009

Is it the same 10 cents per line as medical?  I am out of work right now with over 2 years of experience.  I have been checking out freelance websites, and the pay seems pretty low.  It is sometimes described as dollar amount per audio hour or as an hourly rate.  They list the hourly rate as about $5 an hour or less.  Is it because the work would be easy?  Should I bid for a job and offer 10 cents a line?   I need some work so badly I just don't know what ...

General Transcription Rate
Aug 24, 2010

What would a good rate of pay be to do general transcription?  This is not medical transcription, but general audio like a phone conversation or meeting.  ...

Focus Group Transcription Rate
Nov 22, 2010

Could someone tell me what their hourly rate is for transcribing focus groups?  I had someone ask me for an hourly rate today and I am not sure what to charge.  TIA! ...

Flat Rate Cpl For Editing And Transcription?
May 17, 2012

Ladies and gents, I am hoping to find an employer that will pay a flat line rate for both editing of SR and transcription. Does anyone know of anyone that is doing that? This business of being paid 2 different line rates makes it impossible to forecast earnings and is causing a huge headache for me. I am thinking a flat in the 7 cpl to 8 cpl would be something I would consider. I cannot believe I am saying that - 10 years ago I was working in a great hospital job making 12 cpl. My, my, how ...

What Is The Going Rate In The Midwest For Straight Transcription And For VR?
Oct 25, 2012

I submitted my resume for an IC position and received an email requesting that I submit a proposal of what I expected to make per line for straight transcription and for VR.  With 20 years as an MT, I felt that my proposal was pretty fair.  I said 8.5 cpl for straight transcription and 5 cpl for VR. I received an email from the company telling me that generally thye pay their ICs 7 cpl for straight typing and 3 cpl for VR and asked me to consider lowering my quote.  I was fl ...

Does Anyone Know The Going Rate For Legal Transcription In The Northeast?? I Am Looking To Charge B
Oct 04, 2011

nm ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

MQ Pays 1 Rate For 100% QA, A Lower Rate For Non 100%. How Do You
Oct 29, 2011

ty ...