A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Oracle versus TransTech please help, please - tired-eyes

Posted: Oct 06, 2010

I'm sorry to bother everybody with ?s but -- I'm in a situation where I need to make a job decision today between 2 options and it is really difficult because it is hard to compare the variables when so much is unknown to me.

Current situation -- I work PT employee - just got a pay cut and continually run out of work, some days getting merely 100 lines.  Pay decrease was from 9.5 to 8 with one week's warning.  I rarely bring home more than 300 a pay period.  Seriously. So, I'm making less & am getting less lines when in this economy I need more lines, not less.  I need more $$ than part-time lines would even yield but struggling to even get part time lines at a reduced rate no less makes this decision a no-brainer.  I love the platform at this company have been on it for years so change is scary but I have to do something so I'm looking for a job to replace this.

New option 1 -- offered a position with Oracle, part-time.  Thinking start part time and work into full time, keep both jobs until Oracle takes off and then leave current job.  Are they pretty steady with work availability?  They say they have VR, which I've never done, but would love to do it because to me it is a way to increase productivity/income without having to transcribe everything, so I love that idea.  How soon does anybody have to wait to get VR there?  Is it a pretty big thing or just beginning with them?  If I go with them I'm thinking I'd have to work 2 jobs for an unknown period of time and hope they both have work and the rate is 0.08 cpl...

Third option is FT employee at Transtech.  I love the idea of getting into editing VR.  It is transcribing and editing though so hence my problem at trying to figure out which is going to be my better option (2 part time jobs or 1 full time job) because it is totally unknown - 1) what the mix of MT/ME will be and 2) how much I can produce as an MT on a completely new platform and 3) how much I can edit on a completely new platform when I've never edited VR before.

So my biggest questions are, does anybody know if it is obtainable out of the gate to do a mix of MT/ME of 1320 a day? Is that achievable?  How realistic to exceed when new at it and is the work available to exceed 1320 a day?  Pay is better and gives me the opportunit to edit VR which is something I'd really love to get started doing but the downside of this job is fixed schedule and I have the wrong windows version so have to buy a computer, new software or rent a computer.  The biggest downside is completely unknown variables to estimate reasonably what I'd be making.

I don't need a huge income - I'm only shooting for 1500/month.  Seems I could get this with a good mix and availability of work at Transtech (with a mix of 900 MT/700 ME or 700 MT/1000 ME) OR I could get it straight typing for 0.08 cpl between 2 companies 12,000 lines per pay period OR 10,000 lines at Oracle alone since IC no taxes (but would get hit at tax time)...

I have been up all night trying to make a decision on this because I don't have time to waste.  I almost lost my house recently and cannot afford to not have income coming in any longer - I sent out 12 resumes last week alone and there are no jobs locally hiring.  Any advice appreciated.

If it were me - crying-eyes

[ In Reply To ..]
I would work 2 jobs, keep your current job and take one of the other ones part time and do both.

Reason being: You are familiar wtih current job and like platform, even with the pay cut. Everywhere pays 8 cpl now for typing, that is the norm. So, if you are already making that, might as well stay.

Also, by working 2 part-time, if the work is low, you can jump back and forth. If work is low on 1 full time, there you sit.

I have no direct experience with either company, but I would try to keep current job, either way. I will pray for you to make the right decision for yourself! Let us know how it goes.

My experience is with Oracle only but they - ECG

[ In Reply To ..]
Overhire, I believe, and don't seem too concerned when you run out of work. I have had barely any work for months now and they promise accounts that never come through. I've heard several other people say that as well.

Pay isn't all that great for an IC.

Keep both jobs for awhile, IMO and good luck!

I had the same problem with Oracle. They "obtained" the clinic (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
that I had worked for, for about 18 years, and took on the seven MTs. They promised that we would continue doing what we had always done, we would have our same doctors, and that we would be the only MTs on this account. WRONG, after about two months we started running out of work constantly, all seven of us. Come to find out they had hired 25 other MTs to work on this account and we were running out every day by 9 AM!!! After many IMs, emails and phone calls about obtaining additional work several of us finally took the hint and moved on. There were two who remained for a while longer but eventually they moved on as well.

While I was there I would receive numerous emails on a daily basis, some very very ugly about other accounts that were out of TAT or even "close" to being TAT, sometimes as many as 15 a day. This was very aggravating. You had to be on their IM and if you needed something or had a question about something you would find that your IM would conveniently go unanswered. However, if they needed you to do something they would not hesitate to IM you and expect you to be there.

All of this was approximately four years ago so hopefully things have changed but this was my experience.

OTI - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
It has changed at Oracle. I work there, have multiple accounts and have not run out of work in quite a while (a year or so). I know this isn't everyone's experience. As others have said, I would hold on to your present job, and work one of the others as PT. I think if you really wanted VR, OTI would accommodate you. I don't know many who REALLY like VR. LOL. Good luck to whatever you choose!
Yes, Oracle has changed but not for the better - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that Oracle has changed, but for me and quite a few other MTs, things at OTI have gone from good to bad to worse. I also do multiple accounts but run out of work on an almost daily basis and it's been this way for at least a year and a half, maybe 2 years.

There seem to be a few MTs (like you) who don't seem run out of work, but I think there are more MTs who are struggling to get in their line counts. I don't know why there's a difference, but I suspect either they give the work to favorite MTs, either that or they overhire a lot.
I am another one that is very low on work. I've suspected - m22
[ In Reply To ..]
that they over-hire or just don't like me! LOL But either way, I ask for more work and it never happens. New account is coming up soon I've heard, but with my luck, it won't ever happen.
Could it be like every other MTSO and the amount of work varies - From account to account?
[ In Reply To ..]
I really don't like seeing all these conspiracy theories batted about, such as giving all the work to "favorite" MTs or firing long-term MTs "to hire newbies cheap." Isn't it possible it depends on which account an MT works how much work is available?

Makes much more sense to me than some other silly conspiracy theory, especially since it's like that at every MTSO. Some people are blessed with a great account with plenty of work while others land on accounts that aren't quite as busy.
About OTI, you are correct, to a point - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that some accounts are busy with lots of work, and the work on other accounts can be sporadic at best. BUT...why is it that the MTs at OTI who are asking for more work are never put on these accounts? How do they decide exactly which MTs will be placed these wonderfully busy and great accounts?

Personally speaking, the pay has dropped so low at OTI now that it is going to be better for me to go work at a different company as an employee. They not only pay a little better than what OTI is paying, but they also give full benefits to boot.

It's really too bad what has happened with OTI. They used to be a really great company, but now there's really nothing that sets them apart from all of the rest. It's sad.

I went broke working for TT... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did VR at TT and couldn't pay my bills. Also, QA and management are not on the same page at TT. I always got conflicting answers on how to do certain things. I would agree with the poster who said to work two part-time jobs.

I have no problem with making money at TT, BUT... - TTer2

[ In Reply To ..]
I do have worries about the QA there. In looking up previous reports, I'm always dumbfounded by the amount of GLARING errors being sent through by those rushing the editing without making proper corrections. I, too, have had the same problem with QA instructing me, for example, to use "Type II diabetes," whilst my manager indicated the client's preference is "Type 2 diabetes." However, the errors I see on previous reports are not caused by this type of miscommunication. The errors I am seeing are obviously just the result of inept editing.

I figure one of these days the client will actually start reading the reports and then the you-know-what will finally hit the fan and the MTs will start being properly QA'd. I'm just crossing my fingers we don't lose the client in the process.

I agree with you about QA. - TTr - 3 yrs

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course, you have to question those errors. I was never told Type II diabetes, always type 2, but had a problem with other items. I could name quite a few differences, but won't. You are correct on the inept and very blatant errors in editing by those not following the specifications. Can't point it out to anyone. It doesn't do any good....but then, again, the editing rules and specs clash with different info so which rules do you follow? Depends on the person QA'g I guess.

My account manager had me forward her my email from QA on that one - So I dont think it will happen again
[ In Reply To ..]
And, yes, I agree, I figure it wouldn't do any good to be a "tattle-tale" about the errors I continously see on previous reports. The only time I point anything out is if I have to send a job to QA and then I will point out that I have checked previous reports but "those appear to be in error." I don't know if anything goes any further than that insofar as following up on the errors and the MT(s) who made them. I love my account, my account manager, etc., so I really would hesitate to rock my proverbial boat, LOL!
I feel the same - TTr - 3 yrs
[ In Reply To ..]
I also love my account, been on it since the beginning and love all the people in upper management, but QA needs to get their act together. There is one very nice QA person who is, in my opinion, the way QA should operate, but I've had a run-in with another one who has a pure know-it-all attitude.

I tried rocking the boat once, but won't do it again. It doesn't go anywhere so why try? I do my job and that's it, but it's aggravating to try to do the best when others evidently are not. Some days I think maybe I should just say forgt out quality and worry about making the money, but my inner self just won't let me do that.

My accounts are practically all VR - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been there a year and I have seen my accounts go mostly to VR, which means the money goes down as well. The worst dictators are still on straight transcription but I have to work a lot harder and longer to get the same pay I was making before. VR is great for the company, but it sure cuts into the pay. I'd love to come face to face with the genius who thinks that you can do "twice as much" with VR. I spend more time correcting the mistakes than if I were just doing straight transcription.

With TT, it's hard to give an answer - TTr - 3 yrs

[ In Reply To ..]
It really depends on what platform you'll be on and what accounts. The mix between straight and VR is also different. You could probably get your lines IF there is work. If you run out of work, you cna flex and make up the time when there is work, which at times, means working different hours of the day or working the weekends.

I have been going broke and constantly making up time because of lack of work and rarely make what you're looking for since VR came into the picture.

If you decide on TT, make sure you know the specs inside and out and be ready to ask a lot of questions if there's something you don't understand. Some TLs are very, very good at training, some are not. I've had experience with both.

Thanks everybody who answered. Lots to think about. nm - tired-eyes

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Highly Recommend Both Oracle & TransTech! Sm
Nov 15, 2010

I've  only been with these 2 companies for a short time but I highly recommend both of these companies.  The people are extremely nice at both, tech support outstanding at both, both offer great platforms.  The only thing with Oracle is you have to be in a position to be slightly patient for new accounts ramping up but they are VERY accommodating, bend over backwards to help with backups and just lovely people honestly.  Can't say enough good about either one!  ...

Transcend Versus TransTech
Jul 25, 2011

I'm looking for part-time work to fill in my IC job.  Was looking into Transcend or TransTech.  Any part-timers for these 2 companies want to share your experience? ...

Transcend Versus TransTech?
Sep 20, 2011

Considering both.  Anybody working at either now?  How are things?  Anybody worked at either in the past?  Why did you leave?  Thanks for any help. ...

TransTech Typing Versus VR
Mar 18, 2014

I responded to a job opening posted here with Trans Tech.  Could anyone tell me about this company.  They invited me to take their test and if it is no better than where I work at now, I will keep on looking.  I am looking for typing versus VR also.  I didnt know whether this is the same company as TTS or if it is a different one.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanx in advance. ...

TransTech Versus Nuance?
Apr 01, 2014

Hello, fellow MTs!  I have been working for Nuance as an MT for 4 years, and becoming progressively dissatisfied with them.  I noticed that TransTech is hiring.  Can anyone tell me how they compare?  I already emailed their recruiting department, but would like to get some feedback here as well. Thanks!! Julie ...

Re: TransTech ApplicationOn My TransTech Application Should I Fill In Favorite Work Types & Fav
Jan 11, 2011

On my Trans Tech application should I fill in favorite work types and favorite specialities or leave blank or put any? ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Anyone Know What's Up With Oracle/OTI?
Jan 31, 2010

I haven't had much work for months.  Since last summer actually.  Can never make minimum.  I have another part-time job so I'll survive, and I do like that company on a whole, but there has been NO WORK.  They keep promising new accounts that never happen.  Is it just me?  Are there some Oracle workers that are happy and have enough work? I know sometimes it is famine time as an MT, but this is ridiculous. I wonder if they lost some big accounts or somethi ...

Where Is Oracle? 
Aug 12, 2010

Where is Oracle?  I miss her intelligent answers.     ...

Oracle Pay Cut
Nov 10, 2010

Just wondering - how many at Oracle got a pay cut 10/01?  Not trying to start problems - just disappointed in them and wondering.  ...

Does Anyone Know If OTI/Oracle Has Given Up On Their ASR?
May 03, 2011

Just noticing that I am getting some regular transcription that used to be ASR. ...

Oracle?
May 22, 2011

I've applied to Oracle....any thoughts?  Are they heavy ESL?  Any info appreciated!  Thanks!   ...

Anyone Get The Job With Oracle - OTI??
Nov 13, 2012

Sounds like a pretty reasonable place to work. Hardly ever read any posts here about them so I assume, no news is good news and their employees must be fairly content. Just curious, as they seldom hire. I applied, but I am acute care/hospital transcription and they were looking for people to fill multispecialty clinic account, so folks who have an extensive background in clinic work. Just curious if anyone has started and how they like it. Also curious if there are any who have been with ...

Does Oracle (OTI) Still Have ASR?
Oct 09, 2013

d ...

Haynes And Oracle
May 04, 2010

Has anyone heard of Haynes Transcription or Oracle transcription. If so, I would like to get good or bad info on them.   Thanx ...

Oracle Transcription?
Jul 20, 2010

Does anyone currently (or you did sometime this year) work for Oracle Transcription? If so, what's your experience been like? I'm interested in working with them part time as an IC. ...

Oracle Workload
Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me how the workload is at Oracle?  I'm tired of it being slow all the time where I am currently.  I'm concerned about taking a new position and it being the same-o, same-o. ...

Is Oracle And OTI The Same Company?
Jun 23, 2011

Is Oracle and OTI the same company?  Any info on either?  Thanks. ...

Oracle Or Landmark? And Why?
Sep 23, 2010

Which one would you choose, and why?  (I am experienced on Bayscribe, a platform they both use.) ...

Oracle Info Please
Sep 25, 2010

Can anyone give me info about Oracle? Good or bad is welcome. ...

Oracle Reply?
Sep 30, 2010

For anyone who applied to Oracle last week, did you get any kind of reply?  I called their office and the receptionist said she was looking over many aps and would be hearing from her, but nothing.  ...

Has Anyone Gotten A Response From Oracle??
Oct 06, 2010

They have a job posting that I applied for.  Haven't heard anything back from them.  Has anyone else?  ...

If You Are New Or Old For Oracle OTI, Please Answer.
Oct 16, 2010

No one answers my emails when I ask why my accounts have no work. It's been going on for a very long time, but so much worse now.  I thought a new account was going ot start, but I haven't heard a word about it.  Is something going on that I don't know about?  I realize they were going to be switching to more SR and MTs weren't all that happy about it (my own pay will be 1.5 CPL lower and only 4CPL for SR work), but what happened?I absolutely hate coming to a r ...

Oracle/OTI Transcription
Dec 10, 2010

I've just started working with Oracle, and seem to like it okay so far. However, I am reading all these posts here about pay decreases, no work, and no communication. Is this all sudden and not typical of them? I'm a little worried now. I know lots of companies get bashed on this board and some for silly reasons, but I was wondering if there was any truth behind the posts here, or if it's just a few "unhappy" MTs. Anything you can share would be great! Thanks so much! ...

Oracle Or Landmark?
Jan 14, 2011

Which would you choose? ...

Oracle Transciption (OTI)
Feb 02, 2011

Does anyone know anything about how this company is to work for?  Thanks. ...

Oracle Question
Feb 06, 2011

Does anyone know an e-mail address for OTI?  I would like to e-mail them in regard to questions I need to have answered before filling out their online app simply because if I don't like what I hear that will save me and them time in the longrun.  I could not find an addy on their website.  Thanks in advance. ...

OTI/Oracle Question
Feb 07, 2011

Does anyone know what Oracle/OTI's line requirement is for P/T IC work? TIA!!! ...

Oracle Out Of Work - Sm
Feb 23, 2011

My friend just started and has been off of QA maybe 2 days typing full time and just ran out of work.  I am supposed to train soon to come on board.  Makes me very nervous that they overhired and are still hiring. ...

Oracle Update
Mar 21, 2011

I haven't seen any recent posts about a lack of work at Oracle.  Have things settled down to where everyone has sufficient work?  I'm working for them PT and have only had 1-2 occasions where I've run out of work; however, my FTE is running out of work on an increasingly frequent basis and, if there's sufficient work at Oracle, I'd be interested in switching over to them as a FT position. Any updates on the status of the work flow?  Judging from the email ...