A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT week gifts - Kandy Kane

Posted: May 23, 2010

flash some cheap piece of garbage

trinket trash

not much thought behind it

they need to be reminded that they need us far more than we need them

I really wish they had not sent it to me

trash it really is

I hate my job

Can't wait to be free of this garbage

it's worthless to me

I hate our anal QA department

Did get a cheesy gift in the mail

Incompetence

worthless trinket

complete lack of taste, thought, imagination

typical, useless, cheap

lying suits

slap in the face

such a ridiculous gift

cheap Chinese trinket

corporate equivalent of wife-beaters

You're all right, you totally deserve something completely awesomely outstanding, maybe a roll of toilet paper to go with your crappy attitudes.

Another POV - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe the company you are referring to was cheap and all that, but it IS an acknowledgment of MT week. Some companies did not acknowledge or thank their MTs, did not even send out a "HAPPY MT WEEK" email.

Of course, MT week is still in progress, so there is some hope that they will come around in the next few days.

I wonder if I can conclude that those companies who did nothing for MT week are the ones that would be the most uncaring and ruthless employers/clients? DUH?

I think Kandy's post was against the MTs doing the cheap gift complaining. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

A story to be learned..... - I like to be appreciated

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure we all want appreciation, we all want an atta boy, we all want recognition for how hard we work and for our loyalty to a company, but complaining is not the way to get it.

Here is a true story of what happened when people complained:

I worked for a large HMO and every year for Christmas they did a huge catered employee luncheon, then there was a Christmas formal dance and everyone was given a $25 gift certificate to a local grocery store and a box of See's Candy.
Then one year they changed it and gave us a box of candy and a small catalog we could pick a gift from (instead of the grocery coupon). Well people started complaining "What if I can't find anything I want in the catalog, can't I get the money instead?" And the bitch*** began. The next year, we got a luncheon and a Christmas formal dance and a few candy canes tied with a ribbon by the hospital volunteers.

My point being they don't have to give you anything and when you complain over what you do get and bash the effort of the company, what you get is nothing!!!!!!
Here's a story to be learned. Forget knick-knacks - parties - trinkets - Show Me The $$
[ In Reply To ..]
Save all the stupid stuff because in the end truth be told a raise is enough of a show of appreciation for most MTs. There simply is no better reward.
yawn - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:O
not trying to argue, but a luncheon and formal dance isn't exactly nothing - sm - sssdt
[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like people got everything but the gift card, and the change from candy and catalog to luncheon and dance actually seems like an improvement to me. I'll take a free lunch!
I'm more interested in my work than a present - My Career is not summed up in a gift
[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like to me people have their priorities mixed up. If your self-worth is measured by a gift you receive on MT Week, you need to find a new career.

MT week acknowledgement - PedalPushr

[ In Reply To ..]
Acknowldging that MT week actually exists such as a quick appreciative email from the head of the company or snail mail card.

Cionfused - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Was this comment aimed at the MTs that you think are ungrateful and have so-called "crappy" attitudes?? That is the way I am interpreting it - or was it a slam on the MTSO's?? It could be taken either way!!!!

Build a bridge and get over it already! :) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

If they spend too much they lose; if they spend nothing, they're insensitive - No way for them to win this one

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see any way for a company to win this one.

If they do nothing, they are insensitive.
If they do too much, they are criticized because they should spend that money in better ways.
If they do a token gift, they get bashed.

No way to win. I will give them that.

They could send money in the form of a raise. - Win-win

[ In Reply To ..]
Cheap trinkets, token gifts, ignoring MT Week. All typical of MTSO owner attitudes toward MT.

We need a raise to match the cost of living. We need a raise for years of service.

Yes, you are getting a raise.... - and still

[ In Reply To ..]
you will come here and complain about: not enough work, they steal my work, I can't make my lines, I hate ESLs, I hate VR, I hate traditional typing, they don't give me enough time off, I hate my job, they are greedy, they still need to pay me more. Meanwhile, you: Don't work your scheduled shift, call off sick 5 minutes before your shift starts, refuse to work extra when asked, can't take constructive criticism from QA without being offended, don't answer your phone during your shift or answer emails sent to you, ask to flex your hours at the drop of a hat because there is something else you'd rather be doing, spend your time on Facebook or MT Stars when you should be working, ask to have work saved for you so you can go to lunch, sit in a 3-minute job for 1 hour while you talk on the phone to your mother, call yourself a professional yet whine about the work types and dictators you get. There is no pleasing some people. MTSOs need people who are willing to work...not whiners and complainers. This job has gone downhill rapidly due the the lazy work ethic of many people. Have some pride in what you do and do your job to the best of your ability or maybe find some other line of work.
WHO is getting a raise? You have obviously gone way off the deep end. - Get HELP!!!!!
[ In Reply To ..]
What a nuckin futz case just crawled out from someone's management team.

Give merit raises blockhead. Not everyone deserves a raise but you could give incentives to work harder and limit income for those who do not live up to company standards.

Get off your high horse, take a cut in your owner/manager pay and share with MTs who have brought money into your company and into your bank account.

I hate when management comes on a board meant for MTs like MT Stars to bash MTs. Just an example of the crudeness of managers who will stoop to new lows to defend their unwillingness to share income generated by MTs.
Not management my dear, just a part-time - mt who used to
[ In Reply To ..]
have to put up with nonsense from so-called professional MTs, which is why I left in the first place. If you work somewhere that offers tier bonuses, then you already get your raise if you beat your line count...how hard is that for you to figure out? I must have struck a nerve..did you see yourself in my previous post?
You struck no nerve - just my management radar - No way no how are you MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Why would you bash all MTs and how in the world would you know how every MT conducts themselves.

I stick to my previous post and theory about who would come on here and bash MTs and why they would do it.

Posts are usually from tight-fisted owner/managers who need to justify not sharing profits MTs bring into their company.

You think you struck a nerve? First you have to make sense to strike a nerve and then you have to have a credible story. You made no sense and had no credible story.

Wow, you certainly are high strung - and paranoid. I was not bashing
[ In Reply To ..]
all MTs...but those who felt a sting know who they are. Since I'm an MT also and have had to manage MTs in the past, that is where my experience lies. It's not entirely the MTSOs fault if you can't/don't make your lines, you as an MT have to take some of the blame if you fail to fulfill your end of the bargain. MTSOs shouldn't have to coddle you, bribe you, make you feel special just to get you to work. I fully believe that at least 40% of those who work from home wouldn't be able to make it in a "real" job in a hospital setting. Most treat working from home like they would a job selling Avon or Amway; they work when they want to if they want to and are very unprofessional. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you will have plenty to say, bashing every MTSO, thinking they are all greedy monsters. I have to ask, why do you work for them if they are so terrible? Why let a company treat you like a so-called slave, treating you horribly every chance they get? Are you chained to them, do they force you to work for them? Find a different profession if you can't make it in this one...there are plenty out there.
LOL - high strung and paranoid? Really I just have a good sense of smell - when it comes to FISHY posts.
[ In Reply To ..]
Your attitude toward MTs in general STINKS.

You know nothing about me or other MTs. You can only judge others by yourself - which is another story entirely.

Take your 2 cents and buy something special for yourself. That's about what your advice is worth.
LOL...I will take my 2 cents - I make my line count above and beyond
[ In Reply To ..]
and will enjoy the next 10 days that I have off from my job...the nice perk that comes with making money as an MT. Toodles and happy complaining!
Oh my and - ...very sad.
[ In Reply To ..]
wow..that was about the most mean-spirited post I have read in a long time. I've been in this field for almost 40 years and have worked in pretty much every capacity, including MTSO, and anyone who does not acknowledge the downward trend in this industry on many levels, not the least of which is the way that MTs have been devalued and even mistreated, has been extremely fortunate, not moved around much, lives in a vacuum, is in denial, or is not really an MT. I hope you have been one of the fortunate ones Really...40% couldn't cut it? Interesting. You clearly dont think much of your peers.
It's a blathering non MT who gave her 2 cent opinion - worth less than 2 cents
[ In Reply To ..]
You know 99.9% of MTs would never come on MT Stars to bash a fellow MT. This is a greedy manager/owner pretending to be an MT - a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Who else would be so bitter and defensive?
We felt a "sting" because you are RUDE - Not because what you said is true
[ In Reply To ..]
Just more MTSO bashing of MTs. We're used to it and we can spot you a mile away. That's all.
that's a terrible thing to assume - sssdt
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to be an insurance broker (prop/casualty, not medical), doing the "real job" in an office with all kinds of education and accreditation. Because of health issues, working at home is about the best I can do nowadays. Yet I always run into people like you who think I've never worked a "real job" and am some inexperienced, sheltered little hausfrau. It was really bad when I went to school. It's slightly better on the job, but it's still always there.

I'll never understand people who think like you do.
Raise - kim
[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly. The answer to getting a raise in this business is type faster, turn your TV off and leave it off. Record your shows and watch them later. People take work away from you'all because they turn their TVs off and concentrate on beating their own "record" each day.
This is insulting - Another one who assumes..
[ In Reply To ..]
:-(
You know what happens when you assume - right?
[ In Reply To ..]
Not everyone is on a "tiered" bonus program. We work for chump change. If your situation is better, good for you but don't tell others that they should be grateful for minimum wage.
No raise in over 10 years - RU kidding me?
[ In Reply To ..]
Get over your sanctimonious BS - we haven't had raises in years. Asking for a token of appreciation from our complanies during NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED MT WEEK is not whining - it is not too much to expect to be recognized and those of you who put people down should be ashamed of YOURSELVES. We work damn hard for what little money we do get. Appreciation is not too much to ask for ONE WEEK A YEAR.

Because you might be happy with slave wages and the "privilege" of working at home in your jammies, don't cast aspersions on those of us who want a little more out of what used to be called a "profession." Now its just a joke.
appreciation - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Appreciation must be earned. Before you are appreciated you must appreciate. Any companies who might be reading these boards know that is not the case.
I've worked with MTs who sadly fit in with this description - Sad but true
[ In Reply To ..]
This poster just perfectly described some of the MTs I've had the misfortune of working with in the past.

Thank goodness working from home limits my exposure to these types of workers, because it's very demoralizing working with them.
while acknowledging there are people who - do these things it is offensive
[ In Reply To ..]
that you just assume everyone who comes to this board or has a problem with something is that person -- way to narrow opinion and those of us who do everything we are supposed to do, work extra when asked, etc., find it hard to not be annoyed by such attitudes
Agreed...In my experience, they admittedly are the minority - Sad but true
[ In Reply To ..]
It's amazing how just one of these types of MT can bring down the morale of a whole department, even when the vast majority are really good, industrious, conscientious workers.

You're definitely correct, though, in pointing out this is NOT typical for all MTs, just those few bad apples who squeak so loud they overpower and drown out the hum of the good MTs with legitimate concerns.
so you think it's OK for good MTs to be punished because of a few bad ones? - nm - sssdt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yes, you are getting a raise... - and still - Silly Rabbit
[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, you just described me. ...and as aptly as you described me, at one time that must have been you. Congratulations on your improvement.
Excellent Message! I agree that work ethics have gone downhill - Maturity is out of fashion I guess
[ In Reply To ..]
I also agree that the whiners and complainers need to find some kind of work that they can do without whining and complaining. That would be a very good thing for everyone.

Just curious - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you work for TTS?

MT week gifts ... trinkets, etc - jj

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to laugh. Can't wait until I find another job so I can send it back. I would much rather be paid what I'm worth than get lip service and useless "gifts of appreciation". If you appreciate us so much, why not pay us what were worth, considering the fact that we are the ones, who earn your salary.

Simple expectation - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just hoping for a simple "Happy MT WEEK" email from management. I wouldn't expect them to go way out of their way any more than that.

I rented the DVD and watched "Capitalism: A love story" by Michael Moore this weekend. It explains a lot to me about the MT industry, as well as other master/slave relationships.

AS I see it, working for someone else was never meant to be a way of life, but a means to an end until you figure out how to work for yourself, OR you may decide to work for someone else for your entire career, but there are no surprises when it comes to being used by others. They will use you as much as they can, in any way that they can, and may or may not show appreciation for you. The choice is to love it or leave it.

Can you imagine what would happen if they just sent a Happy MT Week E-mail? - We would hear about that

[ In Reply To ..]
Many of the companies are probably struggling just like other companies in other industries all over the country. Nothing they do is going to please everyone, but that doesn't mean that they are all bad. Just like some MTs are doing very well, some MTSOs are trying to do an honorable job. By the same token, some MTs have very poor skills and sometimes even worse attitudes, and some MTSOs are dishonorable.

You would thin from reading this thread that it's a one-size-fits-all answer. It isn't.

I guess you're right - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Sadly, I've started jobs that have bombed simply because I felt that I was treated AS IF I were guilty of bad behavior before I even got started. It's like the MTSOs expect workers to be slackers until proven otherwise. Very sad.

I still would have liked to have received some token of verbal or email appreciation from the MTSO for which i currently work as an IC. Gratefully, I don't have serious complaints against the MTSO (knock on wood) when compared to the 16 companies that came before them in my experience.

Working off of a pool, my major "complaints" are with the other MTs on the account, who disappear when the worst dictators are at the top of the queue, and jump in when the good dictators are at the top of the queue. It makes my job less pleasurable, to say the least. I've been working in the medical field for 39 years, but just became an MT as a career change seven years ago. If I were younger, I would change professions again at this time. I will be of retirement age in 2011, and cannot wait. After that, I will find something else to do part-time, am looking seriously at selling a nutritional juice, no kidding.

Anyway,
HAPPY MT WEEK TO ALL!!

Alice

I work for 2 MTSOs, 1 rather large and 1 small... - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
The larger MTSO sent us $15 Walmart gift cards and the smaller one gave us $10 Amazon giftcards and had games to play M-F to win other prizes as well.

Neither gift was monetarily significant, but they both meant a lot to me on a personal level. They're both great places and I feel lucky to work for both.

Some of us are VERY appreciative of the little things.

Similar Messages:

MT Week With Gifts And ?recognition.
May 18, 2010

I'm wondering with all these little trinkets sent, or not....with all the little games throughout the week, why is it we don't hear a peep out in the "real world" about MT week?  It was established in 1985, but nowhere except on the AHDI website is it being promoted.  Type "national transcription week" in google and click pn search news, and the only things that come up are about how clients are trying to cut costs (usually by eliminating us).  Click on search the web, a ...

MT Week "gifts" From Our Employers
May 21, 2010

I've been reading these posts about the trinket trash as one person called it (good name) that MTs are receiving from their employers.  My employer sent nothing, which if you think about it is less insulting than some of the garbage that has been sent out.  The whole issue reminded me of something, I couldn't think what, until it finally dawned on me.  It's like the white man giving the Native Americans trinkets and baubles for their assistance or their land or the ...

Xmas Bonuses / Gifts
Dec 14, 2009

Personally not expecting anything, just curious if anyone else was lucky.  Last year we got a cookbook compiled by various people in the company that we got to print off ourselves.  Don't think they can top that.  However, on the upside this company keeps me in work and pays well.  I can't complain, or at least I shouldn't.  Let's hear it from anyone who did get or will be getting a little momento in the spirit of gift giving. ...

My Company Sent Out The Coolest Gifts Ever!
May 19, 2010

My company sent out the coolest gifts ever!  Kind of hard to describe, but they are made from real license plates from the state we live in.  They are folded over to make a book and one holds photos and the other CD's.  I feel so appreciated!!! ...

Xmas Bonuses And Gifts
Dec 22, 2010

Anybody from Webmedx receive anything besides a card?  ...

No So Professional Regarding Shower Gifts
Feb 28, 2012

I just do not think its professional to send out emails regarding gifts for a baby.  If so many people asked why not just send them an email via their own personal email or a phone call.  Why do we all have to know where we can register for gifts.  They are not so employee friendly with us in other ways.  Think about it.  ...

Take My Advice About MTSO Christmas Gifts
Dec 19, 2009

If you don’t expect anything, you will never be disappointed. People, you are not little children. Grow up. If you get a Merry Christmas, that should be enough. ...

Any Companies That Send Out Xmas Gifts?
Nov 17, 2011

Work a FT and PT job now and just wondering?  Hate to sound greedy, but.... well, I am.   ...

Just Curious: Does ANY Company Out There Give Christmas Gifts Anymore?
Dec 18, 2012

OTI doesn't anymore. :o( ...

Why Do People Post "thank You Notes" Here To Their Companies For Christmas Gifts? Sm
Dec 20, 2010

I sincerely doubt that the company big shots are reading the postings here, plus the anonymity wouldn't make your thank you mean much.  I would think it more appropriate to send a handwritten thank you note, which is what I used to do when I worked for TransTech. I'm glad your comany sends you gifts.  In this day and age, most of us are just lucky to have a job.  Still, it kinda rubs it in to those of us who work for Scrooge companies who treat us like piece worker ...

HAPPY MT WEEK - Have A Great Week
May 17, 2010

To all you wonderful MTs working and slaving your lives away, Happy MT Week.  I appreciate you.  I appreciate your kindness when I have a rant or a rave, when I'm at my wits end with the constant changing around of clients, client profiles and the never ending dings being thrown at me. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. It is because of all of you, and only you MTs on this board that I manage to stay in this game.  We are treated as less than second class citiz ...

Anyone Planning On Actually Participating In MT Week Next Week?
May 14, 2014

. ...

Payday This Week (Thanksgiving Week)
Nov 24, 2014

Does anyone know when pay will be distributed this week? A big deal seemed to be made about getting payroll in quickly, so Im wondering if pay will be released before Thursday or if its just going to be Friday as usual. ...

At 99.4% This Week, Congratulated That I Improved Over Last Week.
Feb 13, 2015

Good grief. I did not change the way I edit. It so depends on how many commas they think you should have. Yes, I made an unusual (for me) mistake last week, but the rest of passing an audit is dumb luck of whether you get a realistic auditor or Ms English wannabe. Everybody must be under pressure because of the cesspool as I see a lot of mistakes when I look up past reports to help with these mush mouths and accents. The time czar wants schedule changes, but I see no problems with turna ...

Does Your PTO Rate Now Vary Week To Week?
Feb 20, 2015

Does it now vary from week to week?  I used to always know exactly what my PTO was and could calculate it but just noticed that it varied from one paycheck a couple of months back to this past week.  How is this now figured?  So confusing ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

When Is MT Week?
May 06, 2010

Thanks. ...

MT Week -- Huh?
May 17, 2010

I've never heard of National MT Week.  Been doing MT for 10 years for the same MTSO.  Never came on to MT Stars until about the last six months.  Obviously, I have never gotten anything for MT Week, so at least some of you are lucky that you do get a little something, whatever it might be.  My MT job just keeps getting better and better (NOT) with pay decreases and work lost to VR.  ...

Pay Week Help
Jan 19, 2011

I am kind of lost in the pay dates for the next pay day on Friday.  Could someone tell me what days we are getting paid for?  I though it was for 2 weeks starting on the 1st and ending on a Sat.  Is that the way they do it now?  Thanks guys! ...

Pay Once A Week
May 05, 2011

Who is the company that pays every week? It was just on the job's seekers board, but now I cannot find it.  Any info would be helpful. I would love to get paid every week.   Thanks ...

NJA Every Day Last Week
Sep 04, 2011

I'm trying to finish out my notice and will have to force myself to turn on that stupid computer in the a.m.  May not be finishing out because I am not going to be strapped down waiting for piddly crap to come my way every 45 minutes. I just keep wondering what the patients would say if they knew their records were going to India just to save a few bucks.  I'd love for some news media to pick it up and ask that very question. ...

Oh Boy Another Week Of
Feb 13, 2012

ASRopoly.  ASR:  pyelogram, grams dictated:  5 mg Just one of 1200 mistakes to be edited in a 2-minute report.  Words added, words left out, wrong words, almost right words, wrong gender, wrong verb tense, no punctuation, punctuation everywhere . . . . . . . ...

NJA Second Day This Week
Jun 07, 2012

I have NJA again. Getting tired of this. ...

3rd Week Of 97% - So Now What Happens?
Nov 12, 2012

Are they going to fire me? And is it true that they can remotely go into my computer to see if I'm working or not? See what websites I've been at? ...

Week Or Two Or Week Or 2?
Feb 20, 2013

I should know this one, but don't come across it all that often.  According to Book of Style, is it "notify me in a week or two" or "notify me in a week or 2"? Thank for your input everyone. ...

SAT - FRI Pay Week
Sep 06, 2013

What kind of company does this?  Oh wait, never mind, I know.  ...

Had A New TSM For One Week
Nov 06, 2013

and now she has vanished into the great MM black hole.  Farewell! ...

MT Week Is Almost Here!!
Apr 15, 2014

and.... "Similar to 2013, our MT Week theme this year is Quality and all HDS/SHDA employees will be able to participate in fun and educational activities highlighting the importance of quality." ...

Pay Week
Dec 19, 2014

Has our work week been changed to Saturday through Friday or is it still Sunday through Saturday. ...

How Often Do You Get 99-100% For The Week
Mar 31, 2015

I have only gotten the higher pay a handfull of times.  I was wondering how often others did.  I hate it that I am usually getting 100% all week and then last minute, when they are supposed to be done auditing for the week, they find an error to push me off the grid. ...