A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ESLs & Politeness - Angie

Posted: Jun 05, 2013

Currently I'm working with more ESLs than ever before.  Just curious who you find the most polite?  The East Indian dictators are pretty easy to understand once you get used to their emphasis on different sylabels.  I also find them the most polite dictators, with many "sorry's" and "thank you's".  I have one who must not know that humans edit him as he is afraid to leave dead air space.  As he is thinking he dictates: "um, thinking...thinking... so sorry... still dictating...dictating.. hold on ... hold on".  He always ends each dictation with "thank you, thank you very much." Those kind of dictators can at least put a smile on my face in a gloomy era of our profession.

I prefer Indian dictators. - (shhh)

[ In Reply To ..]
I find them to be the most polite.

I just told my husband the other day that they're also easier for me to understand, because they enunciate much better than American doctors.

It seems like American doctors expect you to understand their mumbling, but for ESL doctors, sometimes they're more conscious of the way they speak and it can be really helpful.

They are more polite than Americans in general - my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, in my reports an ESL (usually East Indian) is much nicer, apologetic when making a mistake, and trying his best to pronounce everything clearly or spell it. I don't believe I have ever had one eat while dictating.

It isn't just the MT world though. I mentioned to my husband not long ago how in my area (the south) many East Indian people own stores and many Americans will say they won't shop there, because they are "supporting America" but I definitely will shop there because I find their "customer service" skills to be so much higher than most. I can go to an American-owned store and ask if they have something and maybe be told no or "I don't know" with the person barely paying attention or looking. I have been to stores owned by East Indians and if they didn't have something I wanted, they ORDERED it for me, no lie! It hasn't been one occasion, but many! They also recognize me when I come in, are friendly and personable, I just prefer it.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying all American-owned companies are rude, just MY experience in MY area.

that's been my experience, too. I have nothing - against foreign doctors...its the MTs. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
truth be told.

I agree. East Indians are careful and consistent and do better with VR in the long run. - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]

I agree - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing makes me happier than a thank you at the end. Even when they have such a hard time putting an "English" sentence together, just that thank you at the end makes me smile and I'm happy that I fixed their grammar for them. When my husband is home and he happens to hear me, he always says "what?" from the other room when I say "you're welcome" to the dictator and I say nothin' honey! :)

Politeness - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
The great majority of ESLs that I had were extremely polite and wanted to do the right thing. The same was true of the native speakers of English. You always have a few people of any group who want to give you a hard time, but by and large, I was lucky. I think the hardest to transcribe for me were the Chinese docs. They were as nice as pie, extremely polite, but really tough to understand. I have to say that the only time in 40 years that I heard the F-bomb dropped was by a native English speaker, who said it three times in one dictation. I was shocked that he would use that kind of language at work and wondered if he talked that way to his patients.

I had to laugh tonight... - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I was editing a very polite East Indian MD tonight. He was having difficulty finding a piece of information. He tapped on the phone several times saying "Is it off"? then, thinking it was off flipped through the chart and said "Oh Sheet!"

Similar Messages:

I Can Take The ESLs...
Dec 16, 2009

...but these mumblers....OMG!!!  I cannot understand you if you don't open your lips!  Do you talk to your patients that way??? ...

Having A Bad Day With Too Many ESLs
Oct 08, 2011

So I'm having a irritating, low-production day with ESLs which leads to my question of "Why are these foreigners here?"  They can't communicate effectively when no one understands them.  What encouraged them to come over to the US in the first place?  Were they offered a free education?  Did somebody invite them?  If so, it sure wasn't by anyone I know.  There are hardly any clear English-speaking doctors anymore.  I'm getting tired of stutt ...

VENT On ESLs!
Mar 20, 2011

Why, oh why, do I put up with making 7 cents a line trying to understand languages I don't speak?  I do the best I can trying to decipher their garbled mess of dictation and then 90% of the time my ESLs dictate in what sounds like what surely must be an underground tunnel, or whisper, or take 3 minutes between words.  I long for all English (American) speaking doctors again, making a decent line count, and getting glowing reviews and periodic raises (which I haven't seen in ...

A Word About ESLs
Jul 17, 2011

I know everyone complains about ESL dictators - I do also, and have been to the point of tearing my hair out at times.  I always try to stop and remember that we need to give them the same respect we give English speaking physicians.  The  foreign docs have come here to make a better life for themselves, and also to fill some pretty big gaps in health care coverage for both larger and smaller hospitals.  What if we tried to communicate with them in - Hindi, German/Eastern Eu ...

Transcription Tip For ESLs
Jun 06, 2013

I hit a patch of syllables and felt the usual frustration. I decided to work my way backwards. I went a few words past the part I could not figure out and transcribed that bit and worked my back towards the indecipherable part, and it worked really well. I was able to get it through context, and it also did sound correct as well at this point. Just wanted to share in case anyone else may be struggling and not know about this. It probably won't work every time, but every little bi ...

I Think They Should Mandate Some ESLs Have Someone Else Dictate For Them
Jun 09, 2011

I am actually in the middle of a report right now for the most horrible ESL doctor ever.  Besides the fact that her accent is so ridiculously thick, she speaks so softly that it is impossible to figure out what she is saying.  Even though she is straight typing, I still can't make money on it because I keep rewinding to try to figure out what she is saying.  What's funny is she is doing a medical consult for a psych patient.  Like these patients dont' have enou ...

LPH, Work Types, ESLs
Mar 10, 2012

I'd like to ask a favor please.  When people post what their LPH is, like one poster below saying 500 LPH, would you also post what work types you are working on and the percentage of ESLs.  Acute care or clinic, radiology, ER. It is not that I am doubting, but just comparing it to my work. The numbers I have seen people post are unimaginable to me if they are doing acute care with 80% ESLs and all work types and exceeding 99% accuracy.  A lot of normal templates in your ...

KS's Ad States 'MTs Who Are Not Afraid Of ESLs.' When Will These MTSOs Get It?
May 31, 2014

time spent trying to get out a decent product with these guys. With technology on one hand and India on the other getting the good guys, ESLs are pretty much the norm for MTs with any given company these days and we know how to leave blanks and move on. "Afraid" of ESLs? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. You don't put that one on the MTs. It's the bill collector that drives us, and you will get what you pay for based on the premise that time is money. enough said. ...

I Quit Due To Crap Sound Quality And Hellish ESLs
Mar 26, 2015

I quit in early 2014 because there was a sudden switchover of doctors in the acct I was typing, and they were the worst I've ever encountered. The sound quality was atrocious at Nuance. It was like scraping the bottom of the barrel. I work for a different company now that doesn't make you jump through stupid FIESA hoops, etc, and it's nice. Just wondering if the same crap dictation continues at Nuance. I liked Transcend. ...

I Have A Question. I Work For A Very Difficult Account With Very Difficult ESLs. Other People Have
Jan 30, 2014

to dump these reports so the owner doesnt have to pay QA for them because they cant do them at all.  They QA the whole report almost.  I am totally burnt out with this and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there. ...

Why Do The ESLs Use "i.e." So Much???
Jan 04, 2012

I work in a 15-physician multi-speciality practice.  I have one particular ESL doctor whose English is decent, but he's always using "i.e." in places that really don't need anything.  A good example would be Patient was given Toprol XL, i.e. 50 mg q.d.  I've gotten to the point I just put Toprol XL 50 mg.....mainly because the next thing out of his mouth will also have an "i.e." in it somewhere.  In a paragraph (or HPI part of the document), I'd be willing ...