A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I think they should mandate some ESLs have someone else dictate for them - mt

Posted: Jun 09, 2011

I am actually in the middle of a report right now for the most horrible ESL doctor ever.  Besides the fact that her accent is so ridiculously thick, she speaks so softly that it is impossible to figure out what she is saying.  Even though she is straight typing, I still can't make money on it because I keep rewinding to try to figure out what she is saying.  What's funny is she is doing a medical consult for a psych patient.  Like these patients dont' have enough problems without trying to figure out what this lady is saying on top of all their other issues. lol.  Ugh.  Ok, back to work.  Just venting.

Agree - Kaja

[ In Reply To ..]
I completely agree with you! What's worse is the whispering heavy accent and then sitting next to the call buttons on the floor that the nurses never turn off.

ESL whisperer - WWZD

[ In Reply To ..]
just this morning I had the whispering ESL... chewing gum. It was great.

Was it a sleep study by any chance? :) OP, budget-stricken - hospitals and practices are typically the ones hir

[ In Reply To ..]
docs still learning English, so adding staff to dictate for them probably isn't in the cards. Much more cost effective to just have experienced MTs do their transcription. Let's face it, regardless of pay equity issues, that is the job and there are plenty of skilled MTs to do it. Maybe keep that smile pasted on? The one that's supposed to make you feel better? :)
It was a medical consult for a psych patient - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, if they can't get someone else to dictate for them, the least they could do is speak up and slow down on some of their stuff. It starts to sound like a cadence with all the R rolling. Hard to decipher.

That will never work because - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
They all think they speak PERFECT English. It's just the "stupid MTs" who can't understand them. By the way, this is from first-hand experience----.

Similar Messages:

2014 EHR MANDATE
May 17, 2012

Has anyone heard what the specifics are for all medical records being EHR by 2014?  I am currently transcribing, no VR, and this would hugely affect my job.  After 28 years in this profession, I never thought I would be in this position at age 50.  I'm just sickened.  I just want to work, I HAVE to work, and feel I am just, along with everyone else, in a horrible spot.  I don't have any college education and if I lose this job, I have no idea what I will d ...

I Can Take The ESLs...
Dec 16, 2009

...but these mumblers....OMG!!!  I cannot understand you if you don't open your lips!  Do you talk to your patients that way??? ...

Having A Bad Day With Too Many ESLs
Oct 08, 2011

So I'm having a irritating, low-production day with ESLs which leads to my question of "Why are these foreigners here?"  They can't communicate effectively when no one understands them.  What encouraged them to come over to the US in the first place?  Were they offered a free education?  Did somebody invite them?  If so, it sure wasn't by anyone I know.  There are hardly any clear English-speaking doctors anymore.  I'm getting tired of stutt ...

VENT On ESLs!
Mar 20, 2011

Why, oh why, do I put up with making 7 cents a line trying to understand languages I don't speak?  I do the best I can trying to decipher their garbled mess of dictation and then 90% of the time my ESLs dictate in what sounds like what surely must be an underground tunnel, or whisper, or take 3 minutes between words.  I long for all English (American) speaking doctors again, making a decent line count, and getting glowing reviews and periodic raises (which I haven't seen in ...

A Word About ESLs
Jul 17, 2011

I know everyone complains about ESL dictators - I do also, and have been to the point of tearing my hair out at times.  I always try to stop and remember that we need to give them the same respect we give English speaking physicians.  The  foreign docs have come here to make a better life for themselves, and also to fill some pretty big gaps in health care coverage for both larger and smaller hospitals.  What if we tried to communicate with them in - Hindi, German/Eastern Eu ...

ESLs & Politeness
Jun 05, 2013

Currently I'm working with more ESLs than ever before.  Just curious who you find the most polite?  The East Indian dictators are pretty easy to understand once you get used to their emphasis on different sylabels.  I also find them the most polite dictators, with many "sorry's" and "thank you's".  I have one who must not know that humans edit him as he is afraid to leave dead air space.  As he is thinking he dictates: "um, thinking...thinking... so sorry. ...

Transcription Tip For ESLs
Jun 06, 2013

I hit a patch of syllables and felt the usual frustration. I decided to work my way backwards. I went a few words past the part I could not figure out and transcribed that bit and worked my back towards the indecipherable part, and it worked really well. I was able to get it through context, and it also did sound correct as well at this point. Just wanted to share in case anyone else may be struggling and not know about this. It probably won't work every time, but every little bi ...

LPH, Work Types, ESLs
Mar 10, 2012

I'd like to ask a favor please.  When people post what their LPH is, like one poster below saying 500 LPH, would you also post what work types you are working on and the percentage of ESLs.  Acute care or clinic, radiology, ER. It is not that I am doubting, but just comparing it to my work. The numbers I have seen people post are unimaginable to me if they are doing acute care with 80% ESLs and all work types and exceeding 99% accuracy.  A lot of normal templates in your ...

KS's Ad States 'MTs Who Are Not Afraid Of ESLs.' When Will These MTSOs Get It?
May 31, 2014

time spent trying to get out a decent product with these guys. With technology on one hand and India on the other getting the good guys, ESLs are pretty much the norm for MTs with any given company these days and we know how to leave blanks and move on. "Afraid" of ESLs? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. You don't put that one on the MTs. It's the bill collector that drives us, and you will get what you pay for based on the premise that time is money. enough said. ...

I Quit Due To Crap Sound Quality And Hellish ESLs
Mar 26, 2015

I quit in early 2014 because there was a sudden switchover of doctors in the acct I was typing, and they were the worst I've ever encountered. The sound quality was atrocious at Nuance. It was like scraping the bottom of the barrel. I work for a different company now that doesn't make you jump through stupid FIESA hoops, etc, and it's nice. Just wondering if the same crap dictation continues at Nuance. I liked Transcend. ...

New EMR Mandate "meaningful Use"
Apr 29, 2011

I am jujst starting to research this issue and wondering if anyone here has any information on how this affects us as MTs.  The EMR I am currently working in is Medent and they are trying to comply with this new mandate.  For me this means the docs point and click on the assessment/diagnosis.  Then I type the dictated Plan/Comments.  both these fields are printed out for the patients in compliance with the 'meaningful use" which says that the patient will have to be prov ...

I Have A Question. I Work For A Very Difficult Account With Very Difficult ESLs. Other People Have
Jan 30, 2014

to dump these reports so the owner doesnt have to pay QA for them because they cant do them at all.  They QA the whole report almost.  I am totally burnt out with this and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there. ...

How Will YOU Dictate?
Feb 03, 2010

I see a lot of MTs returning to school and often in the medical profession.  Since the industry seems hell-bent on having all the transcription done in India, will that influence how you nurses and psychologist dictate when it is your turn to dictate, or will you be so relieved to be through with this tragedy that you won't even think about it?  Just wondering.  ...

New # For DICTATE
Nov 04, 2010

Just tried calling DICTATE (1-800-342-8283) to report outage and got message that the number has been changed, or no longer working...  Used it yesterday, but who knows any more....  Anyone have another number for DICTATE?  At least with these posts they can't tell me that i am the only one...  Getting so tired of hearing that.  ...

Cc Or ML, If They Dictate Cc....
Jan 20, 2011

I was always told to change it to mL.  ????? ...

I Dictate
Nov 17, 2014

Has anyone worked with or know anything about IDictate? Possibly losing current position so I am looking for something just in case. ...

I Just Love It When They Dictate...
Mar 27, 2010

...in the middle of an airport runway.  At least it sounds like that.  It's especially so lovely with ASR, picking up as it does every random conversation in the area. ...

Where Do Doctors Dictate?
Oct 13, 2011

Ok, I'm curious, but can doctos do their dictations anywhere? A lot of times, I hear a bunch of doctors in like some sort of dictation room. You can hear other doctors doing dications. I just picture a bunch of people in white coats sitting at a desk talking into a phone. lol. Other times it sounds like they're in an emergency room while an emergency is going on. People are asking for things, things are clanging around. Sometimes it sounds like they're in their own home. Had an ...

Is It Just Me Or Is This The New Way To Dictate Dates?
May 16, 2013

More and more frequently, I am getting dictators who say, "the patient underwent the procedure IN 04/11/12" or "the patient underwent the procedure ON April 2012."  It's just a little thing that's kind of annoying because you have to change the IN to ON and vice versa, but it's happening so often, I'm wondering if that's now an acceptable way to say it and I'm just not in the know.  Anyone else get this? ...

Learning To Dictate The RIGHT WAY?
Jun 04, 2013

I am an experienced nurse practitioner with seven years of experience. Now that I am working in an acute care environment, I am required to dictact all of my consultations. I have a template from which I am dictating. But from the results of my transcriptions, I could use some help from medical transcriptionists on how to dictate the RIGHT WAY. Of course, I was never taught how to dictate. I was taught how to use the telephone to dictate, but I was never taught the right way to dictate clearly ...

Did You Ever Stop To Think How Much Better You Could Dictate
Dec 15, 2013

than some of these idiots who you have to muddle through on day after day after day ad nauseum?  I am transcribing this dictator tonight who has had one patient with "infantigo" and on her "review of symptoms" she dictates "Eyes" as a subheading by itself then does HEENT later on in the review. I would be so organized if I were doing this, I would have a standard sheet for every patient with ROS and PE, then just fill in the blanks and note any abnormalties.  It would be so easy for us ...

Dictate Express - Come One, Come All, To The
Apr 10, 2014

greatest job of them all - You can be an MT here for a whopping........WAIT FOR IT........0.05 CPL!!!!!!!  Plus you can pay your own taxes and never get a paid vacation!!!  Just when you think you've seen it all.  Let's not all trample each other lining up to apply.  Please - can we all realize we're better than this and deserve better than this and not apply to these places that low ball us like this?!!??!  I think these companies will keep just seeing ho ...

If The Dictator Does Not Dictate 99.7%
Apr 15, 2014

then it is insane to expect to transcribe 99.7%.  That's all. ...

Dictate Express
Apr 26, 2014

Has anyone been hired by or worked for Dictate Express in Solana Beach, California?  I checked with BBB and they have no record of them.  Got email I was hired.  I have been scammed once this month and do not need another.  Please help???? Signed numbtypist ...

To Doctors, PAs, Any Who Dictate: When You Are
May 14, 2014

dictating a lengthy report and mentioned a dozen different doctors, do not say at the end, please cc all above because I will NOT do this.  I will not take another half hour to read your report and cc all noted physicians.  You get paid the big bucks.  Use your time, not mine that is paid by pennies!!!! ...

Maybe If You Didnt Eat And Dictate
Oct 14, 2014

#1 I would be able to understand you. And BTW, chewing like a cow is not attractive at all. And #2, you wouldn't choke on your food. And since you did choke through a word or 2, it would be nice if you re-dictated that because I have no idea what cough, cough, cough is supposed to be. I HATE this dictator, why does the company not tell her how to talk, I'm done complaining since it gets me nowhere.. ...

Please Tell These Doctors How To Dictate
Feb 01, 2015

So tired of going in an out of the ADT screen, choosing just patient because they don't dictate a day until part way through the dictation, or the referring physician. I honestly think, if someone told them it would make our lives easier they would comply..And I know this is dreaming, but dictate the CCs at the beginning of the report so it is easier to find the names and spell them correctly when you dictate them throughout the report. And by all means at the end don't say please cc ...

Ever Have A Doctor Dictate
Apr 19, 2015

I can't understand a couple of words and every time I let off the foot pedal and replay, I hear "Cracklin Rosie, get on board." "Cracklin Rosie, get on board."  "Cracklin Rosie, get on board."  Arrrrgggghhhh   ...

If They Can Dictate On A Treadmill,
Apr 22, 2015

does anyone know a way to edit/transcribe on a treadmill?   I can hear her footfalls and the sound her tennis shoes make on the belt.  Would be a great way to get my walking time in and not be so sedentary (especially with doing OT).   Not good at the keyboard commands to work audio so would need my footpedal.  ...

Ya Know What, Doc? If Ya Don't Wanna Dictate It...
May 15, 2015

Don't.  Go home and hand write it.  Quit wasting my time and my life.   ...